CarComplaints.com Notes: Whenever a new product is introduced, there's bound to be some problems. And man oh man, does the 2006 Commander have some problems.

It's the plight of the 1st-generation adopter: you get the newest and shiniest in exchange for a handful of issues that get ironed out in future versions. But what happens when that handful of issues becomes a bucketload? The 2006 Commander has quality control issues like the door handles breaking off and the sunroof leaking. But what's truly worrisome is the electrical problems like the vehicle shutting down unexpectedly, gauges going crazy or the cruise control having a mind of its own.

Bottom line: if you want a Jeep Commander, you're better off looking at a later model year.

2006 Jeep Commander seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Commander:

2006 Jeep Commander Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Sep 262016

Commander

We have a 2006 Jeep Commander and it sometimes jerks back and forth while driving sometimes it even shifts into neutral and then back to drive the power steering works only part of the time and the airbag system says its off all the time and it will shut off while driving sometimes too really frustrated with this vehicle its a disaster and waiting to happen

- Cornersville, TN, USA

Jul 292016

Commander 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (air bags); however, the part was not available. The contact stated the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The contact stated that the air bag warning light and the electrical system were illuminated. The approximate failure mileage was 160,000. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. Parts distribution disconnect....updated 09/14/16

- Missoula, MT, USA

May 022016

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. While attempting to make a turn at 30 mph, a thumping sound was heard and the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the clockspring failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 97,400.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

May 172016

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated while driving at 5 mph, while making a right turn, the vehicle stalled. The contact crashed into to a brick wall. The crash was associated with NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system). The air bags did not deploy. A police report was filed. Medical attention was not required. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not provided. The failure mileage was 138,000.

- Tuscaloosa, AL, USA

Feb 042016

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. While driving 25 mph, the vehicle stalled. As a result, another vehicle crashed into the passenger side of the vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained neck injuries that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed from the crash scene to an auto body repair center for body repair and replacement of the steering wheel. The vehicle was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system). The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Oakland, CA, USA

Feb 172016

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. While driving 30 mph, the check engine, oil change, air bag, and check pressure warning indicators remained illuminated. The vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system), but the remedy failed to repair the vehicle. The contact mentioned that the air bag check pressure and oil change warning lights illuminated after the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Lewis, KS, USA

Feb 092016

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. While driving at an unknown speed, the air bag light remained illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 151,000.

- Airway Heights, WA, USA

Jul 012014

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. When the vehicle was started, the air bag warning light illuminated continuously. In addition, the driver and passenger seat belts failed to retract. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the seat belts needed to be replaced, but the air bag failure was undetermined. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Austin, TX, USA

Nov 212014

Commander

The contact owned a 2006 Jeep Commander. While driving approximately 45 mph, the driver lost control of the vehicle and crashed into a cement driveway wall, which caused significant damage to the front end of the vehicle. The air bags did not deploy. The driver sustained injuries to the head, chest, and leg that required medical attention. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The cause of the failure was not determined. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 105,000....updated 02/19/16

- Bailey, NC, USA

Oct 242015

Commander

My Jeep was hit by another car traveling about 40 mph in a T-bone manner causing my vehicle to spin around and begin barrel roll two revolutions before nose-over landing on the roof. The collision resulted in both vehicles being totally destroyed. No fatalities but serious injuries were sustained by me. I am a former traffic cop and have work many, many traffic crashes with all types of vehicles with all types of injuries / fatalities reporting so I feel qualified to say I am surprised that the air bags on my Jeep never deployed.

- Asheville, NC, USA

Jan 102006

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. While driving at any speed, the driver and passenger air bag warning lights remained illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the seat belt and the air bag indicator module were replaced however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 115,000.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Oct 062015

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving at any speed, the driver and passenger air bag warning lights remained illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the seat belt and the air bag indicator module were replaced however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 115,000.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Oct 252015

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. While driving at approximately 30 mph, the contact swerved to avoid hitting an animal and crashed into a jersey barrier. The air bags did not deploy. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Twin Falls, ID, USA

Oct 222015

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V461000 (air bags, seat belts); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Oct 012011

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. While operating the vehicle, the air bag light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the failure was repaired. Two years later, the failure recurred. No further information was available. The contact also stated that the vehicle failed to accelerate. The dealer diagnosed that the transmission was faulty. The transmission was replaced and the failure was remedied. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 90,000. Updated 1/15/16

- Walpole, MA, USA

Jun 102013

Commander

While driving down the road the vehicle engine shuts off; airbag light flashes on as well as dash lights. This has happened approximately 10 times in the middle of a eight lane highway in rush hour. It has torn my nerves all to pieces trying to drive it under these conditions so I had to park it and buy another vehicle. Need action soon. Started approximately 2 years ago and has progressively gotten worse. Notified Chrysler and was told to remove all keys from ring except switch key; did that and it still happens

- Waynesville, NC, USA

Sep 082014

Commander

I was driving; the dashboard lit up and the air bag sign said air bags disengaged. Then the car shut off. I restarted it after several attempts. I want to know when are you going to get this problem fixed. I was fortunate in that I was driving slowly in town. But it has shut off a number of times. I keep only the key in the ignition and it has still done that. To me I think if I am driving on the interstate or some other high volume and high speed area and this occurs again causing an accident you will be the ones to blame.

- Columbia, MO, USA

Sep 142013

Commander

P41 recall. Before recall my 2006 Jeep Commander turned off on its own numerous times. This resulted in engine shut down, no electrical system, etc. I have contacted Chrysler several times. I get the same response, part not available. Why" I am told the supplier does not have part. Why not?. this is an old recall, however Chrysler is repairing or buying back newer models of vehicles due to faulty design. 2006 Jeep Commander recall is just as serious as newer recalls. The faulty ignition switch results in entire shut down of Jeep, including air bags. I was told to adjust seat so that knee does not make contact with keys in ignition. What" I suggest that vehicles with faulty ignition switch be a part of the Chrysler buy back or repair immediately. Also, to avoid further serious accidents and possible death resulting form faulty ignition switch.

- Glen Allen, VA, USA

Aug 012014

Commander

My Jeep Commander has a recall, I took it in right away and was told part not available. It has been over a year and still not fixed. The dealership says no parts in yet and its been over one year. One year and I have made multiple trips and calls to the rio vista California Chrysler dealership and their response is that Chrysler is to send me a letter when the part is available. Dealership is saying part not available. This is a safety issue and my children's safety comes first. I'm appalled at how this has been handled. I've been patient for too long.

- Rio Vista, CA, USA

Jun 112015

Commander

My airbags in my vehicle would shut off on there own then my lights started turning on and off as I drove.. thats the start..one day im driving home with my kids and my car stalls out in the middle of the road tryed everything wouldnt start but windows worked except front and lights but no power. I had it towed to Jeep and they insisted it was my battery.I go get my truck and as im driving all my lights come back on and all my gauges no longer worked, airbags no longer worked. They put it on the computer and P41 code came on which is my ignition switch recall from Chrysler.Jeep had me contact Chrysler and they said that part wont be available no time soon and they were going to put me in a rental. The next day Chrysler contacted Jeep and then Jeep said they have no idea its some electrical but they cant guarantee so I called the manager and told them its unacceptable I am without a car because Chrysler wont fix the recall its a safety issue and they told me they cant do anything

- Cape Coral, FL, USA