CarComplaints.com Notes: The fourth generation Grand Cherokee took the relatively trouble-free run of the 3rd-generation and flipped the script.

From 2010 to 2011, complaints about the vehicle not starting increased 10-fold. In fact, the 2011 model year is riddled with engine problems and a defective TIPM might be to blame. The TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) distributes power to all the eletrical components in the vehicle, so when it starts acting funny so do numerous other components in the car. Orders for new TIPMs were so abundant that parts became scarce, prompting a class-action lawsuit claiming Chrysler ignored this obvious defect.

By 2012 complaints dropped back down by about 80%. Needless to say, if you see a used 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee on a lot just keep walking.

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jan 022014

Grand Cherokee

The problem we had was generally with starting the vehicle. The problem has been intermittent over several weeks, seeming to be more of a problem in colder weather. The engine spun but would not start. In other words, the engine attempted to start, sometimes cranking continuously, until it timed out without starting. With time and frequency, we became more concerning that we would be stranded in an undesirable situation. After reading numerous posts on this website, www.gotaclassaction.com/Chrysler-investigated-over-defective-totally-integrated-power-module-tipm-in-2011-2012-Jeep-grand-Cherokee-and-Dodge-durangos/, we were almost certain we had a defective tipm. We took it to a dealer and they indicated it had a fuel relay short internally in the tipm. They suggested a wiring workaround, installing an external fuel pump relay and bypassing the defective tipm. Perhaps this is better than improvising, but we do not know the risks this carries -- the wiring workaround and the still defective tipm -- for going forward. Additionally, we hope there would be a recall of the tipm and reimbursement for the wiring workaround in our future.

- Moulton, TX, USA

Jan 062014

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Vehicle refused to turn over, service 4X4 and engine light on. Brought to dealer replaced fuel pump. Returned to me with service 4X4 and engine light on, slid down on hill no 4 wheel drive. Returned to dealer 4 weeks later transfer case replaced car jump into 4 wheel low while I was on highway almost put me thru windshield. Back at dealer over 1 week the do not know the problem and stated no one on their country wide database has this problem. I was told today that Jeep headquarters wants all reports sent to them to assist repair. I purchased this car used in October and have not driven it more then 1 week. I have a huge payment and huge rental bills I did file a case with Jeep customer but no help.

- Naugatuck, CT, USA

Oct 012013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the accelerator pedal failed to respond to acceleration attempts. The contact also mentioned that the vehicle erroneously decelerated while the accelerator pedal was depressed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer and the technician stated that the tip module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 45,000.

Oct 262011

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Drove vehicle on the beach cape hatteras nc. From ramp 44 to cape point about 1 1/2 mile.vehicle got stuck I backed up and pulled forward 2 times very gently. On the third try someone yelled you are on fire. The transmission had overheated an set the vehicle on fire. Chrysler says I abused the vehicle. I have driven on this beach 40 years with various vehicles. Never had a problem. This Jeep is 4 wheel drive with a sand mode. If these vehicles can heat up this quick with no warning they are a safety problem.

- Dunnsville, VA, USA

Sep 102013

Grand Cherokee

Car will crank but will not start. After about 10-20 minutes car will start. Remote start is more successful than turning the key.

- Gallion, AL, USA

Oct 062013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Tipm- I went to start my Jeep this morning that felt like a weak start up, it then hiccuped and died. Thinking it maybe just a one time incident, tried again, with the result of the starter just cranking for about 5-6 seconds. This repeated multiple more times before I called a tow truck to take to a local mechanic. It was diagnosed with bad fuel pumps, and the cost to replace was $1600. This prompted me to call the dealership and ask if that's even possible. After explaining the issue at hand, the service manager told me that he doesn't believe the issue to be caused by faulty pumps, but from the tipm. This is obviously not the first time he has heard of this issue. I then did some research on the web and found this to be a pretty prevalent issue amongst owners of this year, make, and model. When I called him back to see if the backorder issues were true, he told me it would take around three weeks to get the part. I immediately asked for the Jeep corporate number, called them, and began to speak to a guy about it there. He told me that the production rate was one per 7 days... and that coupled with there are tons of these cases out there is why it was going to take a while to get the part. He went on to tell me that sounds crazy, but its just how fast, (or slow) they are producing them. I asked if the new product was a replica of the original and he said this is a solution for the previous one and would fix the problem, not just a bandaid. He advised me to have it fixed and hope the recall comes and I would be eligible for a reimbursement. With the price of this fix being so high and the amount of people affected, this has to be recalled. Please have anyone having this issue file a complaint here. This customer service rep told me there just hasn't been enough formal complaints about it to validate a recall....

Sep 022013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

Same issue with my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee the tipm needs to be replaced. Purchased used only 25K miles two months later check engine light would not go away, started to stop then had trouble cranking then would not start. Took to local dealership over a month ago, dealership still has my vehicle and im without a car. Extended warranty will no longer pay for my rental. My house is 30 mins away from my job and I have two small children. Chrysler could only "expedite" the tipm to the dealership....meanwhile I'm carless until who knows when. Each week the dealership gives me a different story on when the part will be in.

- Cliffside Park, NJ, USA

Sep 022013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. The contact stated that the engine rpms increased and the vehicle failed to switch gears. The failure was recurring and caused the engine to stall. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where a diagnostic was performed, which located the failure at the transmission park neutral module. The vehicle was not repaired. The dealer advised the contact that the transmission module was on back order. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 56,310. The VIN was not available.

- North Lauderdale , FL, USA

Jun 152013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was stated that the integrated part module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 16,000.

- Plantation , FL, USA

Jul 082013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the vehicle independently shifted into neutral. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 15,000.

- Chicago , IL, USA

Jun 192012

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. The contact stated while driving 50 mph the transmission shifted independently into a lower gear and caused the vehicle to jerk and lunge. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis who was unable to duplicate the failure but stated that it was most likely a software failure. The software was upgraded. Three months later the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis but stated they could not replicate the failure. A month later the failure recurred and the vehicle was again taken to the dealer who told the contact that a device installed by the insurance company might be causing the failure. The device was removed and the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified and advised the contact to file a complaint with the national highway traffic and safety administration. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was 33,358 and the current mileage was 36,000. The consumer has since traded the vehicle. Updated 01/03/13

May 312012

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Our 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee has exhibited multiple instances of sudden unintended acceleration (sua). It has occurred to my wife, one of our sons who is and aerospace engineer and myself on different days at different speeds and locations. I personally have experienced it on two occasions, one of which caused a minor accident as I was backing out of a parking space, with my foot on the brake put the car in drive and it lunged forward of its own Accord, there were two other people in the car and a witness outside the car who reported it just lunged and the brake lights were still on. Chrysler inspected the car, found nothing and has closed the case. I called Chrysler and asked that we discuss the issue they said they found noting, fixed noting and thus the case is closed. So they are calling three people bold face liars and my concern is they did not find anything so the cause of the problem still exists and can happen again and my wife is at risk every time she gets in the car. There are over 1,000 complaints on various forums about sua instances on Jeep Cherokee, channel 7 news even did a segment on it a few years back. Can you please help at all on this issue? thank you.

- Lafayette, CA, USA

May 132011

Grand Cherokee

2011, 2012 Chrysler vehicles with the pentastar V6 3.6 liter engine are rated to tow 5000 lbs unrestricted with the tow package installed. There is a design defect in the cooling system in that it cannot cool the engine when towing about 3500 lbs uphill. The tow vehicle starts uphill at the highway speeds of 65mph in the passing lanes with enough power to continue and suddenly without any warning, lights, etc., the tow vehicle looses power and abruptly slows to a maximum speed of about 27mph. With all other vehicles on the road trying to get by and not slow down, this creates an extremely dangerous situation of attempting to cross 3 lanes or more to get off the road while tractor trailers have to slam on the brakes and hopefully screech to an almost stopped position to avoid killing the families in the tow vehicles. Chrysler has confirmed the problem but has refused to do anything about it and has insisted that the vehicles are working the way they were designed but are obviously not working within the advertised specifications. Chrysler does not want to change the advertised specs due to the fact that it might cost them money, even though many peoples lives are at risk. Chrysler could easily perform a recall and fix the problem, saving lives, but there would be a small monetary cost to Chrysler.

- Highlands Ranch, CO, USA

Mar 012012

Grand Cherokee 4WD

Check engine light comes on, occasionally begins to blink and car idles rough, sounding as if its going to stall. Car has been returned to dealership, pending repair (3rd time in past 10 days). Dealership initially claimed the computer had to be reprogrammed due to an O2 sensor, then on return to the dealership indicated that the O2 sensor needed to be replaced. As of this afternoon, the dealership stated that they are looking inside the cylinder head to see if they can determine problem.

- Towson, MD, USA

Dec 012010

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. The contact stated that when trying to accelerate and merging onto the freeway, the vehicle would hesitate and the engine rpms would increase drastically. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where they advised her that the failure was caused by a computer malfunction, among other things. The vehicle was reprogrammed but the failure persisted. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where they advised that they were unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not further repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and they offered no assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 5,000. Updated 12/28/11 the consumer no longer owns the vehicle. Updated 05/02/12

- Marysville, WA, USA

Sep 282011

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Tried to pass another vehicle on the highway by pressing down on accelerator expecting to have more power to come on as vehicle goes into lower kick-down gear and my vehicle started to shake "violently" with no increase in power coming on. This loss of power/violent shaking almost caused and accident from the vehicle behind me as I lost power with no warning to car behind me as break lights would not be applied by me as I was trying to speed up. I encountered the "violent shaking" situation 4 times in total. I would compare the feeling to driving a manual stick shift and not giving it enough gas and as a result the car starts shaking uncontrollably. I am concerned the outcome in the future may not be as favorable for me or others if they experience this situation..

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Dec 242010

Grand Cherokee

Transmission shifted into 4 wheel drive (4WD) low, suddenly, accompanied by a clunk and change in vehicle speed from downshifting. Lights came one in the dash indicating loss of traction control and 4WD service needed. This event continued to happen sporadically while driving until we made it back to the dealership. Since downshifting into 4WD low occurred while driving at normal roadway operating speeds (approximately 20-40 mph) it certainly felt like a safety issue, compounded by the fact that traction control was lost as a result. Once back at the dealership, the service department found that the transfer case had an internal failure. The vehicle was in the shop for about 3 weeks and while the transfer case was replaced under warranty. Due to this negative experience with the vehicle we no longer felt safe driving it, and ended up trading it in for another vehicle just a few weeks after getting it back from the shop.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Nov 132010

Grand Cherokee

Driving down the street when white steam like smoke comes from under the hood. The smoke becomes dense and there is a smell of hot transmission fluid. The vehicle begins to power off and upon exiting the vehicle there is a strong smell of transmission fluid and a large pool of fluid discharged under the vehicle. The car was towed and returned to the dealership. The dealers technician reported, "technician performed visual inspections and clean off of fluid found the transmission cooler lines at the radiator had disconnected due to not be improper connection issues reinstalled both transmission cooler lines and clamped lines, tested pressure on both lines. Filled system and test drove and cleaned (due to massive spray from lines coming loose), pulled vehicle back into shop and rechecked fluid level and cleaned area (repeated this process several times to bring fluid level to proper level) finish cleaning engine area and verified. Parts:6 fluid-atf +4". my issue is that I had just exited a high speed, 65mph, highway and if this failure had happened on something less then a slow secondary road with no traffic, there could have been a significant accident or potential injury.

- Oshkosh, WI, USA

Nov 062010

Grand Cherokee

When driving between 0 to 5 miles per hour I pressed on the accelerator pedal while the auto was either on level surface or at the beginning of a small incline the auto did not move forward. Then I shifted the auto into reverse and stepped on the accelerator pedal and the auto did not move backwards. I then turned the auto off with the auto shifted into park. Then I restarted the auto and shifted into drive and pressed on the accelerator pedal and the auto did move forward. The same day I brought the auto into the Jeep dealer whom I leased the auto from just five days earlier, to identify and fix the defect causing the aforementioned problem. On Monday 11/8/10 the dealer informed me the vehicle is operating as designed and they found nothing wrong with it, and they returned the vehicle to me. I am concerned that the defect which caused the aforementioned problem on 11/6/10 could cause reoccurrence(s) of the aforementioned problem (even at higher speeds)

- Roslyn Heights, NY, USA