Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The fourth generation Grand Cherokee took the relatively trouble-free run of the 3rd-generation and flipped the script.

From 2010 to 2011, complaints about the vehicle not starting increased 10-fold. In fact, the 2011 model year is riddled with engine problems and a defective TIPM might be to blame. The TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) distributes power to all the eletrical components in the vehicle, so when it starts acting funny so do numerous other components in the car. Orders for new TIPMs were so abundant that parts became scarce, prompting a class-action lawsuit claiming Chrysler ignored this obvious defect.

By 2012 complaints dropped back down by about 80%. Needless to say, if you see a used 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee on a lot just keep walking.

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 192016

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Was slowing down from 50 mph to make a left hand turn. As I was entering the turn, at about 30 mph, the engine shut off. All dash lights still functional, radio was still on, turn signal still on. There was no sputtering. Lost power steering and power braking (and any other items that are not functional while in "run" mode). Shifted to "neutral", but it would not start because the transmission was not in "park". pulled to the side and stopped the vehicle, put it in "park". started like nothing had happened. There were no warning lights before shutdown, there are no service lights or obd II codes stored in computer. Was using the push button starter, the key fob was in my pocket.

- Brooklyn Park, MN, USA

Apr 092016

Grand Cherokee

The Jeep has only 43,880 miles when I went to the Jeep dealer for an oil change. I was told the power steering rack was leaking. The repair would cost $1602 plus tax. This Jeep has not been driven off road and should not be leaking with this low mileage. There appears to be many complaints of owners with the same problem. It appears there is a fault with the part.

- Stirling, NJ, USA

Nov 232015

Grand Cherokee

Replaced tipm 15 months ago. Today, turning into parking lot car stall. Lost all power steering, no brakes, no engine. Had to restart while coasting. Decelerating at 45 mph making a left turn.

- Kingwood, TX, USA

Oct 292015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving 65 mph, the vehicle stalled and caused a loss of braking and power steering ability. The vehicle was taken to a dealer to be repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 115,000.

- Sante Fe Springs, CA, USA

Nov 092015

Grand Cherokee

Car stalls with no warning while driving. Has happened twice. Lose power steering. Able to re-start.

- Forest Hill, MD, USA

Oct 282015

Grand Cherokee

The engine seemed to lose power and the power steering and breaks lost power as well. Was merging from the highway on to a main street in a city. The vehicle was nearly inoperable but I was able to stop it and restart it. But the brakes and steering were locked.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Sep 132015

Grand Cherokee

This is the sixth time, today, 9/13/15. I haven't been killed yet, but it's a future possibility. My Jeep loses power and will not steer. It happened with my mom and my only child in the Jeep. Chrysler tells me every time to take it to the local dealer, quirk Jeep in marshfield, MA. I do. They run the ever popular 'diagnostics' and find nothing wrong with it. Yet, it keeps happening! the last time it happened, I was on the highway during rush hour traffic. State police would not allow me to wait for aaa so I had to pay out of pocket $120 to be towed off the road by some neanderthal in a tow truck. What can I do before I am killed by this vehicle? last time it happened was in early August of this year. I contacted Jeep with this email and was told to take it in to the dealer for 'diagnostics.' I did and they found no problem again! my Jeep is again losing speed and power steering. It is random. I am driving along and it loses acceleration and power steering. I am terrified to drive on the highway expect in the far right lane at minimal speeds. This is a problem because I am a travelling salesperson and must be on the road all day, five days a week. I travel up to 200 miles a day. As I indicated back in December, this is my fifth Jeep. Quirk says all the recalls on my vehicle have been done and their diagnostics can find no reason for the loss of power. However, it is happening and it is extremely dangerous. Originally, when this first started happening, shortly after I bought this pre-owned Jeep, I was told the tipm recall would correct these problems. Obviously, it has not. Addition, I have random issues with my key not working or my car refusing to turn on. I am a single mom who has to work. I do not have the financial ability to buy a new vehicle and junk this Jeep. I need this vehicle to work as it is supposed to work.

- Humarock, MA, USA

Dec 262014

Grand Cherokee

My 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee began stalling while driving in December 2014. These occurrences have been documented by the dealership four times. It has always stalled while driving at speeds higher than 50 mph. It has stalled on the freeway 2 times and I have been spared a serious traffic collision due to light traffic conditions. The vehicle never throws a code when it stalls. There is nothing the service department can do for these "phantom" occurrences. The tipm has been replaced since that can sometimes be the issue. However, the stalling continues. I have researched this stalling issue and there are others with the similar problem. What will it take before Chrysler addresses this life threatening problem? currently, my vehicle is back at the dealership for this problem. I am not looking forward to picking up my vehicle since the problem is always looming like a black cloud over my head.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Jun 152015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle stalled and the steering column seized. The vehicle was able to restart. The failure recurred on six different occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 76,000.

- Peoria, IL, USA

Aug 052015

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle stalled on a busy road while traveling approximately 35 mph. I was decelerating approaching a traffic light and lost power steering, power brakes and engine shut down. After placing vehicle into park I was able to restart. This has happened twice in the last few months. The dealership is not able to replicate the issue or take further action to correct the issue.

- Seal Beach, CA, USA

Jun 242014

Grand Cherokee

I was knocked unconscious and have no memory of crash Jeep was totaled I never saw it again took 4 months to recover.

- Wirtz , VA, USA

Jul 112015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While making a right turn at 20 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact had to apply force to the steering wheel in order to steer the vehicle. In addition, the brake pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to stop and then stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The dealer was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V530000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 105,000. MA 10/23/15 updated 11/03/15.

- Santa Fe Springs, CA, USA

Jun 272015

Grand Cherokee

While driving 55 mph on the freeway the ESC light came on and then my engine stalled, power steering and brakes shut off. I had to get to the side of the road and slowly coast to the exit! with my two kids (both under 4) in the car. Talk about scary!!!! I had my car towed to a Jeep service center and after 4 days with my car - they said they could not duplicate nor find any issues. I had to pay $200 for that answer….which I was not happy with!!! then today (July 12, 2015) while slowing down at a stop light - the same thing happened again!!!!!

- San Bruno , CA, USA

Jun 122015

Grand Cherokee

I started the car up on our driveway, put it in reverse, and tried to turn the car to go onto the roadway, but there was no steering. I heard a small pfftt sound as I started the car, and have never heard that sound before. There is no sign of any fluids under the car.

- Chino Hills, CA, USA

May 062015

Grand Cherokee

I have a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee overland. There are currently 42,000 miles on this vehicle. I went to a shop and tried to have the rack and pinion replaced. And I was told the all the four axle spindles are rusted so badly. The professional in the shop had to spend lot more hour to figure out an other way to remove the parts without touching the spindles. I was told that it was impossible to unscrew the axle nut out from the spindles because of the rusts. This problem is still unresolved. And it would prevent the process of future parts removal. I strongly believe Chrysler should issue a recall or a free repair for this issue. Thank you!

- Chicago , IL, USA

May 022015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

While driving down the interstate, using cruise control, my car suddenly lost power steering and then all control including gas. Seemed to stall but then would come back on and off as I was "coasting" to a stop. Trying to make my way over two lanes so I could safely pull off the shoulder out of danger was next to impossible. I had to have my car towed 110 miles to dealer and Jeep only covered first $100 so I ended up paying another $450 in towing costs. The dealer said my "serpentine belt" had been shredded and it had wrapped itself around everything in its path. Talking with numerous other garages and even other Jeep certified mechanics, they all agree these belts should be replaced around the 85,000 mile mark even though they shouldn't show signs of wear until the 95,000 mile mark. Therefore I would like to know why the belt in my car, with only just under 43,000 miles on it, shredded so badly and almost caused me to drive straight into numerous cars and then into a guardrail and off the side of the interstate.

- North Wales, PA, USA

Feb 162015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle stalled and the ability to steer and brake seized. The contact had to maneuver to the side of the road. The contact restarted the vehicle and drove to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the power control module shorted all the spark plugs and the software needed to be updated. The failure occurred twice. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 63,000.

- Forbes, NJ, USA

Mar 142015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

As I was backing out of my driving, I heard a pop, and got out to investigate, and noticed the right passenger side, tie rod end had come loose from the tie rod. It was not broken but had literally come apart. After the part was taken off, we could see that the threads on the tie rod were stripped down around the bottom of shaft. I took the part to my dealer, and he said, that is not supposed to happen. I have contacted the makers of Jeep, but have not heard anything back as of yet. This is a faulty part, and could have caused a tragic accident.

- Hominy, OK, USA

Feb 032015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Was coming to a stop, getting ready to do a left turn and the car engine went off and the steering wheel locked. Had to come to a complete stop and put Jeep into park to start it again. Started fine but was dangerous as this could have happened in the intersection. Could have caused a crash. This is the second time this has happened and took it in for a recall already regarding stalking issue. Please help

- Pueblo West, CO, USA

Nov 152014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 35 mph, the steering wheel seized and the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic who stated that the vehicle was functioning as designed. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V530000 (electrical system) and 14V154000 (service brakes, service brakes, hydraulic) however, the parts to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 28,000.

- York, PA, USA