CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2012 Grand Cherokee hasn’t seen the same complaint volume as the 2011, at least not yet.

It’s worth noting both model years are part of a class-action lawsuit that focuses on a defective TIPM and a long wait for replacement parts.

The 2012 also received national attention after it failed a Sweedish Magazine’s “moose test”. the test measures a vehicle’s ability to swerve out of the way of an obstacle you wouldn’t want to hit while driving down the road … like a moose.

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 12)

Oct 102016

Grand Cherokee

I drove my car not even three houses away from my residence and had to stop at a stop sign. Going roughly 10-15 miles and I could not stop my car. My brakes were hard and nothing happened. My car missed an incoming car and I swerved onto a curb to stop my car. My brakes were completely out! my car had to get towed to the dealership and come to find out it was a recalled part on the car that made the brakes not work- brake booster. Dealership said T would be replaced. They called next day to tell us it would not be replaced due to an expired warranty. And to call Chrysler 800 hotline. It got us nowhere. The rep refused to put a manager in the phone indicating they will call me back after their 1 day policy. And that my car was already fixed and that I should pay for it and they might reimburse me for it in 3-5 business days. Chrysler is refusing to pay for that recalled part.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

May 062014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving at various speeds, the brakes failed. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer four times, but was not diagnosed nor repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V154000 (service brakes, service brakes, hydraulic). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 35,000.

- Kenosha, WI, USA

Aug 212016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Shortly after the vehicle received a brake booster repair, the contact experienced brake failure. While pulling into the driveway and attempting to apply the brakes, the vehicle failed to stop. The contact had to turn off the vehicle to prevent the vehicle from moving any further. The contact had the vehicle towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the brake booster failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 57,000.

- Bristol, WI, USA

Aug 042016

Grand Cherokee

On 8-4-16 I was operating my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee in a paring lot dropping off some people. After putting the vehicle back into drive and moving forward, I was unable to stop the vehicle. When I stepped on the brake petal, I could hear a sound of "air" which seemed to be escaping from somewhere. Fortunately the parking lot was empty and I coasted to a stop. I had zero brake function! there was absolutely no warning that this issue was about to occur, and no type of "service engine or brake" light went on. My family and I are very fortunate that we were not on the highway at high speeds when this brake system failed for no apparent reason. Note that a year or so ago I had this vehicle serviced at my local Jeep dealer for a government recall on the brake system. It is my understanding that it was a hydraulic booster under NHTSA # 14V154000. I had my vehicle towed into a different Jeep dealer for this issue. They repaired it under the "booster" recall. My invoice mentions that they tested and replaced the brake booster due to corrosion. I am extremely concerned for the safety of anyone driving a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee! the problem was allegedly fixed once, but had to be fixed a second time. This is an extremely dangerous situation that must be corrected immediately on all like vehicles.

- Racine, WI, USA

Mar 012016

Grand Cherokee

I currently have the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee and over the years, my vehicle has had a total of (7) recalls. Recalls: Brakes, electrical, etc. The most recent recall stated that the vehicle could stall with the risk of a crash! upon receiving my notification letter, I made an appointment with the anticipation that the repairs would only take 1 ¿ 2 business days. Unfortunately, the repair time was approximately 1 week through the weekend. I would like to express my un-satisfaction with the service at the Chrysler group llc (Chrysler) and at this time would like to escalate my concern as a complaint. I would like someone from the corporate office such a manager and/or director to contact me and explain why my issue can¿T be resolved. I would also like to register my complaint with BBB. I have attempted to contact Chrysler group llc (Chrysler) on many occasions to resolve my issue. I have purchased and leased several vehicles from Chrysler over the years, and now I am very disappointed with the response I received to settle my claim for rental car reimbursement.

- West Bloomfield, MI, USA

Jul 072016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. When the brake pedal was depressed and the vehicle was shifted from park to drive, the vehicle rolled away while the brake pedal was depressed without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was serviced per NHTSA campaign number: 14V154000 (service brakes, hydraulic), but the remedy failed to repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the service brake and hydraulic system failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was invalid. The failure mileage was 27,300.

- New City, NY, USA

Jun 242016

Grand Cherokee

On June 24, 2016, between 1:30 pm and 2 pm, I was driving from brentwood ca to vallejo ca on hwy 780 w and after turning a curve on the freeway which sloped down towards curtola parkway, I applied the brakes at about 30 miles per hour after I emerged from the overpass which was at least 5 car lengths before the cars ahead of me which was stopped at a red traffic light. However, the Jeep continued to roll even though I pressed on the brakes to the floor board. When I realized the Jeep did not stop, after checking for vehicles on the left from the rear view mirror, I swerved to the left to avoid hitting the truck in front of me, but I still hit the left corner of the Nissan truck in front of me but the truck did not hit the vehicle in front of him. I damaged the right corner of the front of my Jeep. The Jeep is unsafe because the brakes failed and would have caused a fatal accident to me, my three passengers, and other vehicles had I been travelling at a high speed. I complied with all available recall repairs including the brake recall in 2014 and all the suggested Chrysler maintenance on the Jeep. I reported the accident to my insurance geico and to Chrysler.

- Brentwood, CA, USA

Jun 032016

Grand Cherokee

Break booster recall - 6/3/2016 - my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee could not be stopped. While driving, as I attempted to stop the vehicle, I noticed the break pedal was much harder than usual. When I pressed the break pedal, air was escaping from the break pedal and the car could not be stopped. I had to use the emergency break to stop the vehicle all the way back to the dealership. I managed to drive the car to the dealership and tried not to crash the car or hurt myself or someone else. After speaking to the dealership, I was informed there was a recall on the vehicle back in 2014 which the "fixed". however, the issue was not resolved because the recall issue happened again today.

- Maple Shade, NJ, USA

Apr 012016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While operating the vehicle, the brake sensor light illuminated off and on and the brake pedal felt spongy when depressed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that a leak was present in the brake booster and the booster would need to be replaced. The contact was informed that the vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V1540000(service brakes). A water diverted shield was installed, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 78,400.

- Bethel, CT, USA

Sep 012015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V154000 (service brakes, hydraulics); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact experienced a failure with the brakes and the alternator. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Charleston, WV, USA

Sep 302015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. After the vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 14V540000 (service brakes, hydraulic), the brake pedal was depressed but failed to operate. The dealer was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. Six weeks later, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the brake pads needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, two weeks later the failure occurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was confirmed that the recall was partially performed and the brake booster needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired under the recall. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 86,000.

- Westford, MA, USA

Apr 202016

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V154000 (service brakes, service brakes, hydraulic). While driving 50 mph, the brake pedal was depressed but it took the vehicle longer to come to a complete halt. The emergency brake warning light illuminated. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the brake booster needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was towed to a dealer who confirmed that the brake booster needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was also included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V879000 (electrical system, interior lighting); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The failure mileage was 79,000. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Butler, NJ, USA

Apr 122016

Grand Cherokee

About a month after purchasing my used Jeep, I was coming to a stop on a city street and my Jeep powered off completely. After taking the Jeep in to the dealership they fixed the fuel pump relay, which was recalled, and sent me on my way. Since then my Jeep has powered off 5 times (once while entering the highway, twice while exiting the highway, once while making a U-turn under the highway and once on a city street) each time while braking. I've had no power brakes or steering each time.

- Rosenberg, TX, USA

Apr 012016

Grand Cherokee

I experienced a loss of brakes on my Grand Cherokee. I pushed the pedal to the floor and could hear air escaping, but I had very little brake. I had to push exceedingly hard to stop the vehicle. Fortunately, I was not driving in heavy traffic and could get to my local garage. At the garage I was told the booster needed replaced as it had failed.since we had the safety recall done in December 2014 it seemed strange that the brake booster failed. After reading other complaints, it appears that Jeep is aware of the issue and that the recall did not solve the problem. Fortunately, I was not in a serious accident.

- Wellsboro, PA, USA

Oct 122015

Grand Cherokee

I had my Jeep in some time ago for the brake booster recall but over the last few months, I have begun to notice a sound of air when I am pressing the brake pedal. Some information that I have found seems to denote this as an issue with the brake booster failing. I need to know if this means that this was not fixed when I took it in for the recall repair as this seems to be getting worse as time goes by. The date below is an estimate based on when this started but it is not a direct day of occurrence. This has been happening for several months now.

- Grosse Pointe Park, MI, USA

Mar 312016

Grand Cherokee

My brakes stopped working while stopped at a stop light. The brake pedal kicked back and forced my foot upwards. I was at that point no longer able to depress the brake pedal. I started crawling forward and when the light turned green slowly accelerated to a parking lot. I had to press on the brakes as hard as I was able and slowly came to a stop. There was extreme resistance to depressing the pedal and a grinding/hissing noise coming from engine compartment. It also sounded like the brakes were grinding at the wheels. I was lucky to be at a stop light and not traveling at high speed with my children. The vehicle was towed to dealership and they are diagnosing.

- West Lafayette, IN, USA

Feb 192016

Grand Cherokee

The brake booster failed while driving in city traffic and while braking for a traffic light, without warning and without appearance of the brake warning light on the dash. The brake booster recall 14V-154 was accomplished approx. 4 months prior.

- Waterford, CT, USA

Jul 162015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V154000 (service brakes, service brakes, hydraulic) and 15V879000 (electrical system, interior lighting) however, the parts to do the repairs were not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for recall repairs. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect. VIN tool confirms parts are unavailable.

- Shade, OH, USA

Feb 092016

Grand Cherokee

While operating the vehicle on the highway during rush hour (slow traffic) we lost all braking power from the vehicle. Thankfully, we were able to get out of the situation without any harm, however at higher speeds we would have gone into a terrible accident. The vehicle was part of a recall for the brake booster in 2014, and was checked by a Jeep dealer at the time. When we lost braking, the brake pedal became extremely hard, and we weren't able to loose speed at all.

- Stamford, CT, USA

Jan 192016

Grand Cherokee

My brake booster replacement for a recent recall had failed, and I was unable to stop getting off an exit on a major highway. I had to coast through a school zone and pull in to a local parking lot, having my car stop as I ran in to a snow bank. I had to have my car towed to a local car shop to assess the situation, then fight with Chrysler to have them tow my car to the original dealer who sold me the car. I have always had my oil changed, tires purchased and all recalls on my car fixed at the original dealer, with whom I had purchased the car from in 2012.

- Oswego, NY, USA