Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2012 Grand Cherokee hasn’t seen the same complaint volume as the 2011, at least not yet.

It’s worth noting both model years are part of a class-action lawsuit that focuses on a defective TIPM and a long wait for replacement parts.

The 2012 also received national attention after it failed a Sweedish Magazine’s “moose test”. the test measures a vehicle’s ability to swerve out of the way of an obstacle you wouldn’t want to hit while driving down the road … like a moose.

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 20 of 20)

Apr 152014

Grand Cherokee

I been complaining of a smell and a burning smell. No one at the dealership could find the cause. Yesterday 04/15/2014 the cabin filled with smoke and as I opened the window to let the smoke out the fire started. I called 911 and the firemen extinguished the flames. This is a link I found related to this issue. Https://

- Tuscaloosa, AL, USA

Aug 162013

Grand Cherokee

I have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee that was bought brand new in December 2011. In 2013 I experienced my first incident where my Jeep started, ran for 1-2 seconds, then died. I tried multiple times to restart it and could not get it to restart. I finally decided to completely turn off the vehicle and start the ignition process over. Thankfully that seemed to work. Between the first incident and the next service visit (January 2014), this happened approximately 6-10 times. I made the dealer aware of the issue and they noted it on the service sheet; however they told me they saw no error codes and could not recreate the problem. The in February I had an incident where it started then stalled, then the security alarm sounded. I had to remove the push start and use the key in the ignition in order to disengage the security system. Then approximately one week later I started the Jeep to go to work and it died after running for 1-2 seconds. I restarted the ignition process, this time when I let go of the push button start the starter continued to crank for approximately 10 seconds, until I exited the vehicle and locked the car. Now in the last two days the vehicle has started, ran for 1-2 seconds, then died on three separate occasions. I have made an appointment with the dealer and shared the above information with them. I have advised them that I think I have a bad tipm. I am hoping to get this addressed immediately since I have 33,500 miles on the vehicle and do not want this to be replaced after the warranty expires. I am seeing the average cost to replace the tipm at a dealer is $1200-$1400. There are enough similar stories about these sort of issues that Jeep/Chrysler should issue a recall and stand behind their product.

- Frankfort, KY, USA

Aug 012013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

2012 Grand Cherokee V8 overland summit. Engine won't start at random times. Engine just cranks and cranks but won't fire. Let it sit for a while then will start. Been into the dealer 3 times now since August 2013. They replaced fuel pump overlay harness after checking found no fuel pressure, and found a "star case" with fix. This did nothing as problem still occurs multiple times a week. Dealer claims they have never heard of this problem.

- Hampton, NH, USA

Nov 012013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

On 11/11/13, I took my car in for the state inspection and reported the issue of the car not starting / stalling out to huffines Jeep in plano, tx. Huffines diagnosed the problem as a faulty tipm. The replacement tipm was installed on 11/25/13. On 11/29/13, I noticed that every time I use my right blinker, my fog lights flash. Car still does not start/stay running after starting and it has taken up to 8 tries to get it going. Even if it sounds like the car started, it will sometimes die after running a few seconds. I've also noticed that the doors do not always lock when I press the button on the door handle. This is also related to the tipm. Additionally, on 11/29/13, the dash light came on notifying me that the key fob battery was low. I replaced the key fob battery that day but that had no impact on the greater problems of the car not starting and the fog lights flashing when the right signal is activated. Will be taking my Jeep back to huffines tomorrow morning.

- Plano, TX, USA

Aug 152012

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

The battery keeps dying/vehicle won't start/dies while idling. My Jeep has a push button start, when pushed, the car will cycle through the ignition process (about 15-30 seconds) but won't start. After that the battery is drained enough not to cycle through ignition process. This first started shortly after original purchase of vehicle and I have been forced to keep on a charger, which only works some of the time. I have to have insurance send roadside to jump car at least once a week. It has also started up just to die as soon as it is put into gear, warm or cold. Jeep claims there is nothing wrong with battery or electrical system. This is my wife's car and I am worried that it will stall out with her and 2 year old son inside.

- Brentwood, CA, USA

Sep 252013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Jeep (and all Chrysler products) have a known issue with the tipm module (which stands for totally integrated power module). Thousands upon thousands of complaints with the tipm module have been noted by owners of affected Jeep/Chrysler vehicles (a simple google search will evidence same). The high failure rate of the subject part has left countless families stranded when their cars won't start and has also led to vehicles stalling for no reason. This problem obviously poses a danger to owners of these vehicles, especially families transporting young children. Chrysler/Jeep has ignored this problem for too long and has not been diligent in procuring replacement parts. We have been waiting several weeks for a replacement part. We are told it may take another month to get the part in before our vehicle can be fixed. Naturally, going to work and taking the kids to school is problematic since the vehicle rarely starts anymore. When it does start, my wife is afraid to drive it in case she is stranded with our two young children inside.

- Glendale, CA, USA

May 082012

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. On 5/8/2012 the contact pushed the start button on the vehicle, the lights on the vehicle flashed once, and immediately the vehicle turned off completely. Contact pushed the start button again, the lights in the vehicle remained off, and the engine did not start. The vehicle battery was completely dead. Contact attempted to jump start the vehicle in order to drive it to the dealer but vehicle still would not start. Subsequently the vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer for repair. Dealer determined vehicle had a bad battery. Per the invoice received from the dealer "body ground at battery was not secure" and after installing new battery mechanic noticed "sparking at lower negative cable on body" and that he "found nut for stud laying in the bottom of the battery tray". mechanic then noted he fixed the above problems and re-installed the new battery. Dealer then returned the vehicle to the contact. The manufacturer was notified of the issue and a case was assigned.

- Encinitas, CA, USA

Jun 172013

Grand Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

My son was driving my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee home. When he was close to my home he noticed an acrid smell and saw a small amount of smoke coming from the area around the control panel, near the rear view mirror, on the ceiling of the vehicle. When he pulled in the driveway he turned off the vehicle but the amount of smoke increased so my son called the fire department. Before they arrived the car had burst into flames. Significant portions of the roof, sunroof and ceiling of the car have been badly damaged... updated 08-20-14 updated 08/25/2014

- Madison, WI, USA

Jan 112012

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

This Jeep was replaced because the prior Jeep was lemon law. The engine light appeared after about 3 weeks of purchase, the car was brand new. Like the last Jeep, it would stall causing loss of power brakes and power steering. The electrical system would also freeze (navigation and radio) constantly and would not fix itself unless the battery was unplugged. Shave Jeep in thousand oaks, ca upgraded the engine and navigation software, but problems resumed short after. Shaver Jeep then informed me that they would only look at the vehicle if the engine light was on. The engine light would go on and off so it was hard to time it right to bring it into the shop. Because of this "rule, " shaver Jeep will not acknowledge that the car has been brought in for repair 7 times. As of today, the car stalled on a busy freeway and put the passengers in danger. Constant engine code: Crankshaft position sensor.

- Agoura Hills, CA, USA

Jun 272013

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Husband driving mv to store, started smelling sharp smell of wires burning, white smoke coming from area around the visor on drivers side, came right home with it, since smoke was burning his eyes and nose, opened sunroof to let smoke out, it continued smoking then started to burn thru material surrounding the visor, then burst into flames. My husband got out the fire extinguisher and was able to put the flames out, before the fire dept arrived.inside of the mv has melted plastic all over.the sunroof will not work, and the electrical system is all screwed up.

- Richford, VT, USA

Jun 032013

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

On June 2 after cleaning the car at the car wash (manually) on the way back to our home all the lights of the dashboard lit up for all services to be done and the wipers activated by themselves. The safety belts are no longer working and the lights of the car are not functional. You do not have blinkers, seat belts or brake lights. The RPM needle goes up and down randomly and the engine continues to rev up and down. The brakes feel as if they are not working to full strength, car was turned off and restarted to see if problem with dashboard still exist. Car started with the same problems, but was unable to shift into gear. Car was towed to dealership for service. The car was serviced at brigham-gill dealership (original sales dealer) on 03-June-2013 giving it back to me with the reset of all modules and deemed ok at that point. On 08-June-2013 the same exact problem happened while driving to Virginia beach. Car started same problems experienced on 03-June-2013. Car is at New Jersey dealership for repairs. Car dealer in NJ noted that there was a new computer module replacement to said vehicle in January timeframe. Each time the car has this problem, you are not able to either start the vehicle or move car out of park position.

- Waltham, MA, USA

Mar 102012

Grand Cherokee

I bought my band new 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee overland 7 months ago - brand new from the Chrysler Jeep dealership and about a month after I bought it I started to notice the acceleration is not 100%, the windows stop rolling up or down for hours at a time at random time, the brakes sometimes don't work all the way, the engine jumps when switching gears and most recently my check engine light came on, the car would not accelerate and the rpms would not go past 1.5 even when flooring it & there were loud clicking noises with a loud fan. This time I was not able to drive to the dealership - I had to tow it in because it was not drivable. I have taken it to the dealer ship 3 times for them to check on these things & everytime I take it in they tell me they are "unable to recreate the problems" & cannot help me. I have called numerous times to complain & report issues and they either tell me they cannot help me, they put me on hold for an infinite amount of time, I go to voicemail, or no one is available. They called me today, after having it for 4 days, and told me the check engine light was for a "evap perg system" so they replaced a hose & updated my power control module as a precaution. When I asked them how this had anything to do with my engine problems he could not explain it. When I asked him why my engine has problems he could not explain it. No one there wants to help me - what I feel like they are doing is giving me excuse after excuse in the book, stalling me for as long as they can until my warranty runs out. I have dealt with 4 managers there - the 1st one stopped returning my phone calls, the 2nd one told me I am imagining things and I should stop complaining and be thankful that I have a new car, the 3rd one pond me off onto a 4th one & the 4th one told me to my face that I am a liar and I am making up stories so the situation looks worse then it actually is.

- Hawthorne, CA, USA