CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2012 Grand Cherokee hasn’t seen the same complaint volume as the 2011, at least not yet.

It’s worth noting both model years are part of a class-action lawsuit that focuses on a defective TIPM and a long wait for replacement parts.

The 2012 also received national attention after it failed a Sweedish Magazine’s “moose test”. the test measures a vehicle’s ability to swerve out of the way of an obstacle you wouldn’t want to hit while driving down the road … like a moose.

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 7 of 21)

Apr 082015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start after several attempts. The contact received notifications for NHTSA campaign numbers: 15V115000 (electrical system) and 14V634000 (electrical system); however, the parts needed were not available. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 27,000.

- Middletown, NY, USA

Oct 152015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving at 65 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle did not restart. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired.the contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V115000 (electrical system); however, the part to do the recall repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 36,000. The VIN was not available.

- Wenham, MA, USA

Oct 102015

Grand Cherokee

Without warning, smoke began coming out from under the hood. Was driving along roadway for approx 5 minutes when it happened. Car then died and would not turn on; keys were stuck in the ignition as well. Diagnosed as completely dead alternator and fried battery. Car only has 30K miles on it.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Sep 292015

Grand Cherokee

I was driving on the highway when the red battery light lit up on my dashboard. Within seconds of the battery light coming on the car's electrical system completely shut down causing the engine to stall. The diagnosis from the dealer mechanic was a shorted alternator which caused the powertrain control module (PCM) to short.

- Denver, CO, USA

Sep 302015

Grand Cherokee

We are experiencing starting issues with the tipm module not recognizing the fob. It may take up to 10 tries to get into the vehicle and then just as many trying to get it started. It has had the R09 recall performed, but nothing has changed. The problem occurs when the vehicle is stationary, and you try to gain access to the vehicle.

- Bismarck, ND, USA

Sep 012015

Grand Cherokee 6-cyl

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Consumer writes in regards to no replacement parts to complete several recalls.

- Westchester, IL, USA

Sep 152015

Grand Cherokee

This is the second time our headlights have burned out. Also the tail light. The car isn't that old and is not driven but a few miles a year now we have retired. The ignition at different time will not start it will just keeps turning like it is not getting gas. I brought this to the attention at the dealers when the car was only 35,000 miles but they said we didn't have our foot on the brake totally, well it still does it at 48,000 miles and we do have our foot on the brake; it doesn't do it everytime, but it does it aleast once or twice a week. We are just sitting in the car ready to go somewhere' we realize the warranity is out but when we told them it wasn't. the first headlight went out the first 15,000 miles. We have owned cars for 10 years and lights have never gone out. Can you help us with these problems?

- Seminole, FL, USA

Sep 282015

Grand Cherokee

We notified shelor Jeep about the December 2014 recall P60 /NHTSA 14V-634 promptly, but they continue to say the parts are unavailable. We notified them about the April 2015 recall R09 /NHTSA 15V-115, and they said the parts are also not available. Both recall notices state the vehicle is dangerous --- vehicle shutdown or underhood electrical fire for the first recall and a crash for the second recall. Jeep is not providing repair parts in anywhere near a timely manner! this vehicle is dangerous and must be repaired!

- Blacksburg, VA, USA

Sep 152013

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving approximately 40 mph, the fcw warning light illuminated intermittently. The failure recurred continuously. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the diagnosis was unknown. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Waco, TX, USA

Jul 282015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V115000 (electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Cassville, MO, USA

Sep 252015

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle was able to start after numerous attempts and there was an excessive vibration. The failure recurred two times. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V115000 (electrical system). The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the alternator was replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 91,000.

- Hampton, PA, USA

Sep 252015

Grand Cherokee

The alternator on the vehicle stopped working in middle of driving.

- Matthews, NC, USA

Sep 212015

Grand Cherokee

This vehicle had the recommended recall repair for the sun visor completed on 5/19/2105. While driving the area above the rear view mirror began to emit smoke and within about 30 seconds flames erupted from the same area. The flames quickly spread towards the passenger side sun visor as I frantically looked for a safe place to pull over. It was 5:45am on a dark country road with no shoulder. I turned the vehicle off, exited the vehicle and called 911. The flames continued for at least another 15 minutes. When firefighters arrived they had difficulty stopping the burning though it was small because they could not access the battery for the vehicle (it is apparently located under the front passenger seat and unaccessible other than from under the vehicle.) firefighters had to completely disassemble the electrical system to the sun visors to stop the burning. They identified a screw and wire that were the cause of the fire. It was not until I returned home and researched the recall that I discovered that the screw and wire assembly is the cause of the fires. This recall repair obviously is not a resolution to the problem. Had the flames spread to the driver side area I would have been injured or possible killed. Had I had a passenger in the vehicle they could have been injured or killed also!!

- Tampa, FL, USA

Sep 192015

Grand Cherokee

Battery light came on then starting smelling smoke so pulled over shut car off. Alternator was smoking so called for assistance. Car was completely dead and had to be towed to dealer. Told alternator failed and needed to be replaced. There is a recall number is P60 on this 160-amp alternator for Jeep Grand Cherokee 2011- 2014 but for some reason that no one can truly explain my car is not covered (2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee). It is the same exact alternator in my car as the recalled alternator.

- Williston Park, NY, USA

Jul 152015

Grand Cherokee

I purhcased my used 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee roughly one year ago from miller Jeep in springfield, pa. In July of this year, I was driving on my way home, and started to smell smoke. I got on the highway and immediately smoke started coming from the headliner. I pulled over and within about 3 minutes, my car was completely on fire. There was a safety recall done on the car to prevent this from happening. Please see the link below, which summarized what happened to me: www.autoblog.com/2015/05/07/Jeep-grand-Cherokee-Dodge-durango-NHTSA-investigation-recall/

- Bryn Mawr, PA, USA

Nov 132014

Grand Cherokee

1-after quickly stopping on the side of the road to collect mail, I tried to go back into the road to continue driving but the steering wheel locked and I could not straighten the vehicle. I ended up crossing into the other side, going into the ditch and hitting a snow bank. Due to the very slow speed (I was speeding from the parked position) and to the luck that there were no other cars coming on the opposite direction, no harm was done. Dealership never found anything wrong with it. 2- I have had two safety recalls on this vehicle that have not been addressed on a reasonable time frame. For one of them, my car is at risk of fire under the hood, and for the other one, there could be engine stall and crash. Jeep has informed of both, but has not been able to provide my dealership with the appropriate parts for fixing the problems. So I have been driving around with small children in the back seat, risking myself and my family's lives and all they can do is tell me nothing can be done and good luck" because it's monetarily cheaper to pay for lost lives than to avoid the loss" something needs to be done, this vehicle was not a cheap one, however we have been treated like they are doing us a favor just for letting us a know we are at risk of dying from car crash due to it's malfunctions.

- White River Junction, VT, USA

Sep 052015

Grand Cherokee

There was a whining noise coming from the engine and a burning smell. Took the car into be repaired and they informed me the car needed an alternator replacement. Per the 10/8/14 NHTSA recall of certain models manufactured between 2011-2014, I would have expected that my car would have been included for the same repair, but I am being told I am not.

- Morristown, NJ, USA

Sep 152014

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V391000 (electrical system) and 15V115000 (electrical system); however, the part to do the recall repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- East Berlin, PA, USA

Sep 012015

Grand Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Consumer writes in regards to fuel pump relay recall notice issues and vehicle steering problems. According to the recall, the part was not available. Also, the consumer stated the steering was not steady, when he encountered a bump or a dip in the road. The dealer was unable to find a problem.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jul 012015

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 15V115000 (electrical system); however, the parts needed were not available. The dealer was unable to provide an estimated date for when the parts would become available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time to provide the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the delay. In addition, the contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The contact mentioned that several attempts had to be made before the vehicle would start. The failure mileage was 96,000. Updated 11/06/15 updated 11/18/15.

- Cumming, GA, USA