CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2007 Mazda CX-7 has numerous reports filed with the NHTSA about engine & A/C problems.

Owners report problems with the 2007 CX-7's Variable Valve Timing (VVT) & timing chain failing, causing major damage to the engine — Mazda uses an interference design so typically the valves are bent & the entire engine needs to be replaced. Mazda dealers typically quote $9,000 for an engine replacement.

There is also a trend of the turbo failing at low mileage.

Finally for the 2007 CX-7 there is a clear pattern of A/C compressor failure at relatively low mileage. Owners report smoke & occasionally the serpentine belt catches fire when the A/C compressor clutch seizes while driving. Mazda extended the A/C warranty to 60,000 miles, however many owners report their A/C compressor failed very soon after the 60k mark.

In 2011, Mazda began a "Special Service Program" that extended the warranty to 7 years/70,000 miles covering turbocharger oil leaks & excessive timing chain noise — an early sign of timing chain failure. However coverage under the program requires perfect documentation of all required maintenance with other stipulations. Buyer beware.

2.1

hardy worth mentioning

2007 Mazda CX-7 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Mazda CX-7:

2007 Mazda CX-7 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 062013

CX-7

Driving on the highway, turned on the A/C and a burning smell started emitting into the car. Open up the windows and the odor was coming from the engine. Very afraid to drive car and after reading numerous reports of similar incidents here: I'm afraid my car is suffering from the same deal.

- Culver City, CA, USA

Jul 052013

CX-7

I purchased a used 2007 Mazda cx 7 August 2012 with 60K miles. Recently took car for oil change at the dealership recommend to needing timing chain replacement, replacement of engine coolant and oil leaking around the engine. The engine is makes a loud tapping sound like the engine rod is going out.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jul 172013

CX-7 4-cyl

A friend of ours was driving to pick us up from the airport (our car hadn't been started for a couple of weeks) and, about 15 miles into the trip, the ac quit working. When he got to the airport, the car engine was smoking, there was a burning smell coming from the engine, and it sounded like a bearing was out of whack. We drove it home (approximately 45 miles), and the noise got louder and the engine started rattling louder and louder the closer we got to home. We took it to a Mazda dealership this morning, and they informed us that the ac compressor had seized and it, along with the belt (in addition to any other parts that may have been damaged) needed to be completely replaced and the refrigerant flushed/refilled. I did research and found out that this is a very common, known issue in 2007 Mazda Cx-7's with low mileage.

- Oceanside, CA, USA

May 122013

CX-7 4-cyl

Turning into a walmart parking lot my car shut down for no reason. Almost got hit by another car that was passing by since I was not able to turn. Turning into my apartment complex the car turned off again. Started to research issues with this car and I ran into many similar complaints. Car turned off another 4 times. Car shakes when I turn ac on.and when I place it on reverse. Also had the clicking noise but it seemed to go away. There seems to be some sensor issues. I took my CX7 to Mazda so that they can see what is going on. They ran tests. Came back and said it would cost me about $3500. It was a list of things that could be wrong they said, they were not so sure what to say. Mechanic then stated that since he works at Mazda he probably should not be telling me this but he said that he has seen that problem one too many times with this particular car. That yes Mazda does know about it but they blame the owners. So I asked it I were to pay this would I get some warranty, he said no because the same problem will happen again. God forbid that my car turns off and I have and accident, since car gives no warning. I have 2 children that ride with me all the time. Mazda had some sort of recall on this car a few years ago. I purchased this car February of 2012. I know understand why this person took car to trade out. Maybe they got notice but did not care to take care of it, they traded the car in. I think they should look at those issues on all Mazda CX7. Their main issues are the turbo, the ac, and the timing belt. If you read other complaints you will see that its the same issue which is due to the actual car not the owners, please help us affected by these vehicles get Mazda to finally take responsibility for this. Make them recall these cars and get the problem fixed. To where we wont run into the same issues over and over again before someone looses a life.

- Austin, TX, USA

Apr 252013

CX-7 4-cyl

While driving down road timing chain jumped causing severe internal engine damage... (bent all valves) approximately $8000. To repair!

- Dubois, PA, USA

May 122013

CX-7

As I was driving, the timing chain broke and imploded into the engine, damaging the engine which now needs replacement. This appears to be a common occurrence with this vehicle.

- Camp Springs, MD, USA

May 132013

CX-7

While driving on the highway I heard a ticking noise after a few seconds later the car lost power and smoke came out of the exhaust. When I pulled over I took the cover off from the engine and noticed that there was oil coming out from where the top of the oil goes.the oil pressure on the block was compromised due to failure of the turbo. When taken to the roger beasley Mazda dealership and the car was cranked the dip stick shot out from the engine. The dealership indicated that there was carbon build up but could not explain why. The car was towed to another acs certified mechanic and confirmed that the engine failure was due to the failure of the turbo. Before taking the trip on 4-18-2013 I took my car the Mazda of mesquite dealership because I heard a ticking noise and the technician indicated that the noise was normal. Also the technician performed msp 36 reflashed PCM with updated software and cleared all fault codes since there was a recall. Three weeks later the engine goes out. The manufacture warranty expired, but have a in service warranty. The in service warranty Agency denied the claim indicating that it was not normal wear and tear of the engine failure. I contacted the dealership and also emailed the manufacture to express my concern and both agencies directed me back to the in service warranty. Both the dealership and in service warranty are not willing to assist in the cost being that the CX7 model is a lemon in my opinion. There have been many claims against this model by other consumers in which was confirmed by the employees at the georgetown roger beasley Mazda dealership. The employees indicated that the CX7 model has a lot of problems that is why the CX5 replaced the CX7 model. Since the claim was denied I have spent over 1000 which does not include any repairs, on a side note I was 300 miles away from home.

- Mesquite, TX, USA

May 022013

CX-7 4-cyl

My check engine light came on as I was driving at 40 miles per hour. I did not notice a difference in the way the car was handling, however I took my car into my local Mazda dealer to have it checked. They informed me the cars timing belt needed to be replaced and there was sludge on the engine. Ironically I had just had my oil changed and my engine cleaned of sludge less than 2 weeks prior. We submitted the claim through my extended warranty and after a week got it approved. The morning I was slated to pick up the car I was told by the dealer that there was still an issue that they needed the car later. A few days later they told me I needed my engine replaced. The extended warranty denied the original claim now and the claim for a new engine due to poor upkeep, though I have my records of maintenance. I have only had the car for 1 and 1/2 years. This is ridiculous. I am now in the process of taking the car to another mechanic, bear in mind I have been without transportation for about a month and am pregnant. After researching this issue I have discovered tons of issues with the 2007 CX7 which can result in severe safety issues, engines losing power etc. Mazda is not owning up to any of it. No engine should die at 76,000 miles. This is deserving of a recall, Mazda needs to own their mistakes.

- Los Angeles , CA, USA

May 182013

CX-7

The contact owns a 2007 Mazda CX7. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning while all of the instrument panel lights illuminated. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for diagnosis where it was advised to the contact that the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 82,000.

- Hamilton, MT, USA

May 162013

CX-7 4-cyl

A/C compressor locked up.

- Garland, TX, USA

May 012013

CX-7 4-cyl

2007 Mazda Cx-7: timing chain and vvt hub started to fail prematurely, leading the car to not be driven and possible engine failure at speed. Mazda is aware of this design flaw and possible hazardous situation, but is reluctant to repair at their cost. Engine mount #3 has also broken creating unsafe situation.

- Prairie Village, KS, USA

May 092013

CX-7 4-cyl

65mph car dropped out of 6th and powered down. Turbo killed the engine.

- Marshal, VA, USA

Apr 082013

CX-7 4-cyl

I was accelerating to merge into expressway traffic when I heard a loud whine/squeal from under the hood and the car lost a significant amount of power. The noise was so unexpected and unrecognizable that the shock I experienced when I heard it caused me to tense up and veer off to the right. Fortunately as I was on a ramp there were no vehicles to the right of me to hit. I was able to get up to highway speed by gradually accelerating on the shoulder before merging and then exited at the next exit. The vehicle is now at a Mazda dealership and I've been told it was a turbo charger failure. My research into this issue on this make, model and year, has proven that this is a known issue for Mazda and they have extended their standard warranty coverage to owners for additional months and/or miles. There has not been a recall however and I think that considering the number of these incidents that have occurred, one would be warranted.

- Roselle, IL, USA

Mar 242013

CX-7

The contact owns a 2007 Mazda Cx-7. the contact stated that the variable valve timing (vvt) burned out and caused smoke to emit from the exhaust pipes. The contact took the vehicle to a dealer for a diagnostic test. The dealer stated that the vvt valve timing chain was defective and replaced the vvt valve timing chain. The contact stated that the vvt valve timing chain was replaced four times prior to the recent failure. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Reading , PA, USA

Mar 152013

CX-7

The contact owns a 2007 Mazda Cx-7. the contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the vehicle overheated and the turbo system malfunctioned, causing the engine to sludge and the vehicle to stall. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who confirmed that there was sludge in the engine and advised that the engine would need replacing. The engine was not replaced. The failure mileage was 93,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 032013

CX-7

I was experiencing a shake in the steering wheel at high speeds, which we attributed to a tire/wheel/alignment issue. I made an appointment when the check engine light came on. The dealership told me I needed the timing chain (and assorted peripherals) replaced...for the second time in two years. The first time was covered by warranty, but only after I produced the records to show the oil had been changed regularly. The second time was not covered under warranty. It cost $1500 to replace the entire assembly that was less than two years old. The dealership has recommended ignoring the manual on oil changes (every 7500 miles) and changing it every 3000 to hopefully catch any further issues. They said because the turbo runs very hot, it burns up the oil quickly. My car was very low when I took it in. They also said the check engine light will not go on due to low oil, but only for low oil pressure. The other issue I had was related to the rear view mirror. I have the auto-dim with compass, which was installed by the dealer when I bought the car. It has failed twice and been replaced under warranty. The second time was around 65K miles. Less than a month after my warranty ran out, the entire mirror fell off the windshield. In the early 2007 models, the clip that holds the mirror can not be replaced if it breaks. I had to have the entire windshield replaced in order to re-attach the mirror. I was told even though the mirror would have been covered since it had just been replaced, the windshield was not covered. That was another $250 to replace a perfectly good windshield just because the clip couldn't be fixed. I have seriously considered just trading this car in because I doubt very much it will be worth more than scrap value in a few more years.

- Media, PA, USA

Dec 242012

CX-7

We were driving home on christmas eve going about 65 mph when the cars engine just died. We lost all power to the car including the power steering. Thankfully we were on a straight stretch and due to time of night there were not many other cars on the road. We were able to coast to the side of the road safely. The car was towed to a dealership where it was discovered the timing chain broke and damaged the engine in the process. After researching this online I discovered hundreds if not thousands of complaints about a broken timing chain that required replacement of the engine. Some of these complaints were as early as 30,000 miles. There was even discussion about a recall on the timing chain from Mazda saying that it was defective but Mazda was not always honoring this recall. Obviously based on these complaints there is a problem with the timing chain in the 2007 Cx-7 that needs to be addressed. Mazda is not doing anything about it and trying to get out of the mess they created.

- Evansville, IN, USA

Oct 132010

CX-7 4-cyl

I bought my 2007 mazdacx7 in Feb 2012.ive only had the car for 8 mths when the turbo went out also the piston rings, first the driver side window came off the track could'nt let window down anymore, the the driverside door handle broke, called Mazda they said the handle would cost $200 to replace, could'nt afford to fix it still broken, then in 10/20121 the turbo went out, called the dealer where I bought the car from and he told me to take the car to Mazda dealership, so I did Mazda mechanic told me that it would cost over $2500 to fix the turbo no counting what else is wrong with the car because the car started smoking soo bad before I left the Mazda dealership the mechanic at Mazda said it doesn't make sense to fix my truck because who I bougt the car from they sold me a lemon that I might as well buy another car, the mechanic told me to be careful not to drive my car because it's not safe to dridealer where I bought the car from and the manager gave me the run-A-R in another I would have went somewhere else, well for 3 weeks they gave me the cold shouler, nasty behaviors even hanging the phone up in my face, that hurts they sold me a recall car Mazda said anyhting over 71000 miles the manufacture warranty doesn't cover well when I bought the car it only had 65000 miles so the dealer said and I checked the mileage upon buying the car, im still not undrstanding there's something missing from this puzzle, even the grill wasn't right on the car after I bought it the next day while driving the car the grill fell down.my car smokes sooo! bad it nusafe to drive and I have 2 granddaughters that need to go to school. I'm at my ends with that dealer.

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

May 152012

CX-7

The contact owns a 2007 Mazda CX7. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was found that the vvt timing chain had failed and needed to be replaced. The contact was also informed that the turbo had failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 56,800.

- Port Richie , FL, USA

Nov 282012

CX-7 4-cyl

Check engine light due to the egr valve = exhaust gas recirculation valve being stuck in the open position with 51K miles. The dealership replaced the valve (part number L3K9-20-300A) and the gasket (part number lf6T-20-305) for $882.63 being that it was not covered under my certified pre owned warranty or my extended warranty since it is part of the emissions package I paid, in full, out of pocket. I have checked several online forums and have seen this is a common occurrence for 2007 CX7 between 25K and 55K miles. I think this is a much larger problem than regular wear and tear requiring an investigation.

- Houston, TX, USA