CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2007 Mazda CX-7 has numerous reports filed with the NHTSA about engine & A/C problems.

Owners report problems with the 2007 CX-7's Variable Valve Timing (VVT) & timing chain failing, causing major damage to the engine — Mazda uses an interference design so typically the valves are bent & the entire engine needs to be replaced. Mazda dealers typically quote $9,000 for an engine replacement.

There is also a trend of the turbo failing at low mileage.

Finally for the 2007 CX-7 there is a clear pattern of A/C compressor failure at relatively low mileage. Owners report smoke & occasionally the serpentine belt catches fire when the A/C compressor clutch seizes while driving. Mazda extended the A/C warranty to 60,000 miles, however many owners report their A/C compressor failed very soon after the 60k mark.

In 2011, Mazda began a "Special Service Program" that extended the warranty to 7 years/70,000 miles covering turbocharger oil leaks & excessive timing chain noise — an early sign of timing chain failure. However coverage under the program requires perfect documentation of all required maintenance with other stipulations. Buyer beware.

1.9

2007 Mazda CX-7 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Mazda CX-7:

2007 Mazda CX-7 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Mar 172016

CX-7

I have a 2007 Mazda CX7 I've seen alot of recalls but one complaint I am constantly seeing is the turbo failure and leaking an indecent amount of oil causing an enviormental hazard. I am in a situation now where my turbo is leaking alot of oil and alot of CX7 owner are getting good their turbos replaced more than three times. I very looked into tears problem and apparently Mazda has came up with a solution that has rerouted the air pressure to the turbo by supplying a venalation kit that costs $2,226 just for parts that's including the turbo and $826 for labor..I feel that if they have identified the problem they should tell consumers about it if your driving on the freeway and all of a sudden the car looses power it could cause an accident...and I have also read that the turbo is a very poor design

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 262016

CX-7

The contact owns a 2007 Mazda Cx-7. while the vehicle was parked, a hose failed and the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 145,000.

- Bessemer, AL, USA

May 232016

CX-7

Hi, we bought Mazda Cx-7 grand touring [VIN# last 8 digits: 70103229] used car during Oct 2014 in fremont. The car had around 84K miles. We spent around $13K thinking good fit for kids school drop in short distance. Hardly used < 9K miles in 2 years. Timely service has been done. However, recently seeing check engine light on with code P0303 [engine-3] missfires. Replaced spark plugs, perform fluid system cleaning, replace throttle body spending close to $1500+. check engine still stays on even after this¿. now fremont Mazda dealer recommending to replace the engine [which costs around $9K]. later did some study on web and learnt that Mazda Cx-7 is very well known for this issues and that is the reason Mazda has discontinued the Cx-7 model knowing internal turbo related issues. Customers buy cars based on search and reliability considering long term usage [like other cars which runs more than 150K miles] and not expected this. It's pain to see not hardly used 10K+ miles even after spending $15K. Mazda should accept their engine design issue and do some credit to lost costumer. To keep this customer [me] with Mazda, Mazda should refund the total customer expenses and allow him to by new Mazda latest version by paying difference amount. Have attached recent documents from fremont-Mazda dealer for your review and support. Highly appreciate your understanding and helping the customer. Home address: Thirumalesh thirumala 367 paso roble cmn fremont, ca, 94539. Cell: 201-320-4808 email: Thiru102003@yahoo.com or tthiruma@cisco.com car details: Mazda Cx-7 grand touring. VIN# last 8 digits: 70103229 apprx miles: 96K+ regards, thirumalesh

- Fremont, CA, USA

Jun 302016

CX-7

I took the car in the have the ac compressor replaced a couple weeks ago. June 9 I lost all cold air and done acceleration. I thought the two were related but we're not. My car would sometimes drive as normal and other times unexpectedly slow down to 25 mph in a 60 mph zone and I couldn't speed up. I took it back to the mechanic. He said the turbo was going out. Then the catalytic converter. Then the gasket. It's had multiple oil leaks. This car is costing me more than its worth.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jun 072016

CX-7

I just buy but the engine make a noise like diesel, mechanic say is the timming chain and components and vvt valvle

- Calera, AL, USA

May 192016

CX-7

My daughter with her newborn infant had the vechile stall on them in heavy traffic. The car has $60,000 miles and is meticulous maintained. We brought to the dealership and was told it needs a new engine at a cost $9,000. I opened a case with Mazda corporate case #1-290023-832 and was told that it is an 9 year vechile and they can only offer an employee discount on a new car or 1,5000. This is a safety issue and a manufacturer defective. My daughter and her child could have been injured. Please assist.

- Ocala, FL, USA

Apr 052016

CX-7

I purchased a 2007 Mazda Cx-7, 3 years ago. I have taken pristine care of my vehicle as I have always. I am a fan of Mazda and have owned others in my lifetime. However, I am extremely disappointed in Mazda Cx-7. I have always put premium gas in my vehicle, regular oil changes, and had my vehicle serviced at a Mazda dealership to make sure it was taken care of properly. Nonetheless, last week I had my car towed to the dealership. Why" because of the consistent problems I seem to find online. My turbo needs to be replaced among other things that coincide with this issue. I have done my research and see that Mazda only points fingers back to the consumer. But I am going to point my finger at the poor design. Must be why Mazda no longer make these vehicles. I believe this is Mazda's issue not mine. The car cannot be totaled out by my insurance company because it is ¿a mechanical breakdown¿. I still owe on the vehicle and the cost to repair is well over the blue book value of the car. There should be a recall on these vehicles. Mazda just keeps pointing the fingers back at us, even if the car was taken care of?!"! if this is a common issue for Mazda Cx-7 and Mazda cx 9 to have turbocharger and engine problems, I do not see why the repairs are put back on us.

- Wallingford, CT, USA

Mar 102016

CX-7

Timing chain caused bent valves and head needed to be fixed. Stupid designed engine. Mazda won't recall hundreds of cars affected by this. Never buying a Mazda again.

- Otis Orchards, WA, USA

Mar 232016

CX-7

In the last 2 months I've had issues with the airbag system light illuminating on the dash and also the passenger occupancy light not illuminating at all. I then have a check engine light on and had it diagnosed and it is the thermostat that is not working properly. The tech at the auto shop said that this is extremely common with Mazda Cx-7. if that is the case, why has it not been recalled? I have read through hundreds of articles online stating the same issues with the airbag system and the thermostat.

- Gardena, CA, USA

Feb 122016

CX-7

December 2015 I had my car towed to a Mazda dealership (aaa service said to do so because of the noise and fear the vvt would break while in motion) to replace the vvt (timing chain) and valve cover gaskets - paying out of pocket. As of today, 2/12/16, the same noise, but louder, still occurs when I start the car and drive. The air bag light is on and was on when I took it in. No mention of was made. Also, when I received my receipt, they had the mileage wrong by 20,000 miles (potentially affecting carfax reports), and indicated on the sheet that other areas such as lights were fine and they were not. They did mention that my turbo may need replacing soon (another consistent complaint). There was a class action suit filed in NJ regarding this and it was thrown out. Why isn't the government doing something about all of these similar complaints" where do I go since I just don't trust Mazda dealerships"

- Pikesville, MD, USA

Feb 052016

CX-7

I have a 2007 Mazda Cx-7, my vehicle has 71,000 miles I have noticed a riddling noise for the past few months. I visit three mechanics and all three mechanics are telling me it's the vvt timing chain. The cost the repair my vehicle is $3,000 to $4,000 dollars. I contact the Mazda dealer and because I have no warranty I have to pay out of pocket. So I begin to do my research online. I realized that there are hundreds of other Mazda Cx-7 owners that are having the same issues as I. what a coincidence Mazda has discontinued manufacturing the Mazda Cx-7. this is a manufacture issue and Mazda needs to own up for it. Hundreds of people are losing their vehicles due to this vvt timing chain issue and Mazda needs to make this a re-call. I know one thing I hope and pray nothing happens to me while driving my vehicle because I will not hesitate to file a lawsuit against the Mazda Corp. I hope someone can help all of us who are current owners of Mazda Cx-7. I will continue to spread the word of this horrific issue with this vehicle model.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Feb 222013

CX-7

The contact owns a 2007 Mazda Cx-7. months after the vehicle was purchased, the instrument cluster gauges flickered and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The mechanic replaced the timing chain belt and the engine assembly. The dealer provided no invoice of the repairs. Months later, the failure recurred. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for further inspection and the contact was to tow the vehicle back to the dealer to determine what parts they actually replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 34,366.

- Tomahawk, WI, USA

Aug 132008

CX-7

First the air con compressor went out, now the air bags lights stays on.the engine light is also on.Mazda needs to recall these vehicles.there has been problems with this vehicle from the beginning.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Sep 192014

CX-7

While driving on Colorado state highway 91 at approx 55 mph, the vehicle suddenly died. The engine ceased working, all systems ceased immediately. I was unable even to safely pull the car onto the shoulder, the loss of power was so complete and so sudden. The vehicle was 200 miles from my home, and 250 miles from the closest dealer at that point, so I had it towed to the closest garage that would look at it, about 60 miles away. That garage evaluated the car and stated that the timing chain had broken and a new engine would be required, at approximately $6,000 to $8,000. I phoned the closest Mazda dealer, in denver, and asked what they recommended. They also stated the engine would have to be replaced, at a cost of $8,000 to $9,000. I contacted the garage closest to my home and asked their advice. They stated they had experience replacing the timing chains and repairing engine damage in other vehicles and that they could diagnose whether that was an option. Their guess on cost was between $2,000 and $4,000 if the repair were possible and there was not too much damage to valves. Since the shop that is 25 miles from my home recommended repair at less than 1/2 the cost of the dealer 200 miles from my home, I elected to take it there. Upon research I found 1. the VIN # is one in a series with known timing chain failure, and that a heavier duty one had been issued to replace; 2. the dealer had replaced the vvt previously and should have replaced the timing chain at that time according to service bulletin 01-012/12, but did not replace the timing chain; 3. the failure happened 4 days after the expiration of the engine warranty and 7,000 miles over the 7yr/70,000 mi period; 4. Mazda would not honor the warranty since the repairs were done by an independent shop, not a dealer. Mazda knows that this VIN# is in a range of vehicles with this issue but will not fix.

- Basalt, CO, USA

Dec 102015

CX-7

I have had to replacethe ac compressor pump this will be the third one. I cant afford $700 dollars per pump and it onlu last for 8 months. I seen all the complaint people have with this same issue. When is Mazda going to step up and help us resolve this issue. I will never buy or recommend a Mazda to anyone. Between that and the turbo they are junk and not depedable at all.

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

Oct 272015

CX-7

The contact owns a 2007 Mazda Cx-7. the contact stated that while driving at approximately 60 mph, there was smoke coming from the rear of the vehicle. The vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was restarted, but the failure recurred several times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Spartanburg, SC, USA

May 032013

CX-7

The engine light came on (not the first time). The Mazda mechanic said it was the ect sensor. It was replaced and the engine light came on again the next day. Took it back and they said, well it is probably another problem. I have taken T back a few time, but no one is able to give an actual solution. I took it to a non-affiliated Mazda mechanic and he said it is the throttle (the car stopped again in may, 2015) and hears the engine noise which could be the timing chain. I just don't trust Mazda or it's mechanics and

- Beltsville, MD, USA

Apr 222015

CX-7

On the day of April 22, 2015, while driving my car(2007 Mazda Cx-7) off a freeway ramp, the car began to rattle as if it was being pushed by a wind. I smelled smoke coming from the inside compartment of the cabin area of the car. I attempted to apply the brakes but the car won't stop! flames was coming from the car and that's when the car finally stop. There was a car in front of me that I thought that I was going to almost cause a major accident on the off ramp of the freeway. The mechanic checked the engine and stated that the engine locked up which caused a low compression to the engine causing the vvt belt timing to damage the valves in the engine. I changed the oil in the vehicle, and have the vehicle served on a regular basis, but never had any problems like that. I did research on this vehicle and found out that this is an ongoing problem with other owners of this vehicle across the country. There needs to be a investigation, reimbursement, retribution, and recall orders dispersed out to owners of the Cx-7 model from 2007 to 2012 so that Mazda can redeem their quality of service and reputation.

- Suitland, MD, USA

Apr 102015

CX-7

I bought this car in February 2013 and two times since then I have had to replace the timing chain, thankfully my husband and I bought the extended warranty, but I have a feeling that it will do it again before I even pay my car off. Just a month ago I had to take my car in because my engine light came on, so I checked my engine oil and there was none on the dip stick. Called the place I just came from getting my oil changed the week before and found out that the turbo charger was malfunctioning and sucking all the oil out of the oil pan. The dealership says that it common for that make and model... my warranty covered the work but barely. I now have 4,000 miles left on my warranty.... what else could go wrong! I will never buy another Mazda period!

- Holts Summit, MO, USA

Apr 292015

CX-7

The contact owns a 2007 Mazda Cx-7. while driving approximately 40 mph, the check engine warning light illuminated and the vehicle failed to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 86,500.

- Baltimore, MD, USA