- August 5: Over 193,000 Mazda CX-9 SUVs Recalled After Wheels Fall Off
- June 26: Mazda Owners Must Have Airbag Inflators Replaced Twice
- June 13: Mazda CX-9 Suspension Problems Under Investigation
2007 Mazda CX-7
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2007 Mazda CX-7 has numerous reports filed with the NHTSA about engine & A/C problems.
Owners report problems with the 2007 CX-7's Variable Valve Timing (VVT) & timing chain failing, causing major damage to the engine — Mazda uses an interference design so typically the valves are bent & the entire engine needs to be replaced. Mazda dealers typically quote $9,000 for an engine replacement.
There is also a trend of the turbo failing at low mileage.
Finally for the 2007 CX-7 there is a clear pattern of A/C compressor failure at relatively low mileage. Owners report smoke & occasionally the serpentine belt catches fire when the A/C compressor clutch seizes while driving. Mazda extended the A/C warranty to 60,000 miles, however many owners report their A/C compressor failed very soon after the 60k mark.
In 2011, Mazda began a "Special Service Program" that extended the warranty to 7 years/70,000 miles covering turbocharger oil leaks & excessive timing chain noise — an early sign of timing chain failure. However coverage under the program requires perfect documentation of all required maintenance with other stipulations. Buyer beware.
Worst 2007 CX-7 Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- engine problems30NHTSA complaints: 229
- AC / heater problems4NHTSA complaints: 8
- drivetrain problems2NHTSA complaints: 45
- windows / windshield problems2NHTSA complaints: 2
- body / paint problems1NHTSA complaints: 5
- exhaust system problems1NHTSA complaints: 8
- transmission problems1NHTSA complaints: 6
- wheels / hubs problems1NHTSA complaints: 16
- cooling system problemsNHTSA: 59
- seat belts / air bags problemsNHTSA: 18
- interior accessories problemsNHTSA: 18
- electrical problemsNHTSA: 17
- fuel system problemsNHTSA: 9
- suspension problemsNHTSA: 7
- steering problemsNHTSA: 7
- brakes problemsNHTSA: 7
- lights problemsNHTSA: 6
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 6
- exterior accessories problemsNHTSA: 4
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Mazda CX-7 Model Years
Curious how the 2007 CX-7 compares to other years?
Check out our Mazda CX-7 overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the CX-7.