- February 14: Mazda Recalls MAZDA2, MAZDA3 and MAZDASPEED3 recalls | 5 days ago
- January 21: Mazda Recalls 94,000 Vehicles to Fix Takata Airbags recalls | 29 days ago
2008 Mazda CX-7
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2008 Mazda CX-7 has numerous reports filed with the NHTSA about engine & A/C problems, continuing these defect trends from the 2007 model year.
Owners report problems with the 2008 CX-7's Variable Valve Timing (VVT) & timing chain failing, causing major damage to the engine — Mazda uses an interference design so typically the valves are bent & the entire engine needs to be replaced. Mazda dealers typically quote $9,000 for an engine replacement.
There is also a trend of the turbo failing at low mileage.
Finally for the 2008 CX-7 there is a clear pattern of A/C compressor failure at relatively low mileage. Owners report smoke & occasionally the serpentine belt catches fire when the A/C compressor clutch seizes while driving. Mazda extended the A/C warranty to 60,000 miles, however many owners report their A/C compressor failed very soon after the 60k mark.
In 2011, Mazda began a "Special Service Program" that extended the warranty to 7 years/70,000 miles covering turbocharger oil leaks & excessive timing chain noise — an early sign of timing chain failure. However coverage under the program requires perfect documentation of all required maintenance with other stipulations. Buyer beware.
Worst 2008 CX-7 Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- engine problems13NHTSA complaints: 67
- AC / heater problems3NHTSA complaints: 1
- interior accessories problems2NHTSA complaints: 7
- brakes problems1NHTSA complaints: 1
- drivetrain problems1NHTSA complaints: 9
- electrical problems1NHTSA complaints: 7
- suspension problems1NHTSA complaints: 6
- seat belts / air bags problemsNHTSA: 14
- lights problemsNHTSA: 8
- fuel system problemsNHTSA: 7
- cooling system problemsNHTSA: 6
- wheels / hubs problemsNHTSA: 5
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 5
- steering problemsNHTSA: 4
- transmission problemsNHTSA: 3
- exterior accessories problemsNHTSA: 2
- exhaust system problemsNHTSA: 2
Stay Up to Date
Compare Mazda CX-7 Model Years
Curious how the 2008 CX-7 compares to other years?
Check out our Mazda CX-7 overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the CX-7.