Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2010 Mazda CX-7 appears to share the same engine defects as the three previous model years: VVT/timing chain failure & turbo failure. The timing chain failure is especially bad with many cars requiring an engine replacement ($9,000+).

In 2011, Mazda began a "Special Service Program" that extended the warranty to 7 years/70,000 miles covering excessive timing chain noise — an early sign of timing chain failure. However coverage under the program requires perfect documentation of all required maintenance with other stipulations. Buyer beware.

2010 Mazda CX-7 miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Mazda CX-7:

2010 Mazda CX-7 Owner Comments

Aug 252015

Sunroof shattered while driving on the highway at 60mph at 9:30am when I heard a loud crash on the roof of my car. I looked in my rear view mirror and saw many pieces of glass flying behind me. Thankfully, I had the shade drawn closed, otherwise, I would have been covered in a shower of glass. I managed to pull over and did not find any foreign objects or rocks (and saw no rocks bouncing in the street prior to this incident). The insurance company asked me what happened, but I had no explanation. It seems like the sunroof just exploded.

- Kingwood, TX, USA

Aug 012015

Sunroof shattered - I just got onto I-43 via the on ramp and my sunroof exploded and came down on me like a shower of glass. I was able to pull over. I immediately looked for any foreign debris but there was none. I drove home and called the car dealer (holiday in fond du lac wi). They said they never heard of a sunroof breaking because of the heat or anything like this and my extended warranty would not cover. I had it fixed and heard about this on the news two weeks later. My car is a 2010 Mazda CX7 in excellent condition. The cost to replace was $597.08 plus tax.

- Sheboygan, WI, USA

Dec 292010

The turbocharger on this new vehicle failed while I was driving on the expressway, causing the vehicle to be unsafe and inoperable. Fortunately, I was able to get it off the road without an accident. The vehicle was not safe to leave in our attached garage overnight because of the risk of fire. It appears that there have been many, and repeated, problems with the turbocharger in these vehicles. To my knowledge, there has not been a recall.

- West Des Moines, IA, USA