8.5

1. replace timing chain (3 reports)
2007 Mazda CX7 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Mazda CX7:

2007 Mazda CX7 Owner Comments

Feb 182012

CX7 Sport 2.5L I4

“When it comes to their advanced designs, meticulous craftsmanship, and quality factory parts, all Mazdas are created equal.” –Mazda
In March of 2011, my now wife and I were in the market for a new vehicle. With the thought of a family not too far off in the distance, we decided that it was time to sell her 2002 Ford F-150 that she had owned since college and look for a pre-owned crossover SUV. After doing some general searching, she found that she liked the Mazda CX-7s. We did some exhaustive searching online and found a reasonably priced CX-7 being sold by a private seller in San Antonio. We received a pre-approval for financing through my employer, so that weekend, they made contact, worked out a place to meet, and on March 18, 2011, we became the owners of a 2007 Mazda CX-7 Sport. And that is where the honeymoon ended.
After six months, we began to have mechanical issues with the vehicle. A diesel-sounding chug coming from the engine seemed off for an unleaded four-cylinder SUV. The vehicle had less than 60,000 miles when we purchased it and by the time we began to notice the issues, the drivetrain warranty had expired. I began to do some in-depth research into this year/make/model and the results I unearthed were astounding. The 2007 CX-7 has been plagued with poor craftsmanship direct from the factory. The horror stories about this vehicle are anywhere and everywhere. I even saw one to where the consumer experienced full engine failure before 30,000 miles. The common issue seemed to be a part called a VVT actuator. No recalls or service advisories had been issued for engine parts at this time. However, in January 2012, an entire half-decade after the vehicle rolled off the assembly line, we received a ‘Variable Valve Timing Noise and Timing Chain Noise Warranty Extension’ notice by mail from Mazda.
A month or so after we received the notice, the vehicle began leaking oil. We took our vehicle into a Roger Beasley Mazda Center and had it examined. The oil cooler on the vehicle was beginning to fail. We explained the notice that we received in the mail and they were already well aware of these issues. We were told the engine had engine sludge and with it being a second-owner vehicle, we did not have the documentation to prove that regular oil changes had been performed. Instead, all repairs and replacements would come from our own pockets. The result ended up being a need to replace the VVT actuator, the timing chain, the oil cooler, and replacing all of the gaskets. The technician showed us a side-by-side of the current timing chain and the new replacement – the used chain had literally stretched to be about half-an-inch longer than the replacement. We drove off the lot and hoped that the problems had been solved.
Within two months of the repairs, the engine began making a high-pitched whining noise. My wife contacted the dealership that day while at work and they said to bring it in. On the way to the dealership, which is less than ten miles away, the vehicle died on the freeway. This ended up being the result of a blown turbocharger. Again, we had to take money from our nest egg to replace yet another part on this vehicle.
Mazda Corporate has been overwhelming uncooperative with patrons regarding this matter and has repeatedly declined to take ownership of their poor engineering of this particular model and instead continuously places the blame on the purchasers of their vehicles, claiming poor maintenance has resulted in the failure of its parts. We are now hoping we can sell the vehicle to avoid the fate of so many other CX-7 owners. That of owning a giant paper weight with a $300 per month payment. This experience will lead us to never purchase a Mazda ever again and to encourage those around us to do the same.

- Cody V., Leander, Texas, USA

Jul 212011

CX7

Mazda claims to extend the warranty & fix the problem for free but the warranty ends just before most of these vehicles develop the problem. If you own one, sell it!!

- M M., Fort Smith, AR, USA

Dec 202011

CX7 Grand Touring L3t

• CVT transmission
Ok, First let me say when I bought my 2007 CX-7 I reported a compliment to Mazdsa about how much I loved my car. Now, I am telling anyone who will listen to NEVER BUY A MAZDA and if you have one get rid of it. The timing chain, VVT acutator, bearing, etc. broke on this car all at the same time. And being as I didn't have the money to send it to the Mazda dealer, we bought the parts ourselves, and my mechanic husband did the work. Now the stupid thing still doesn't run right. I am paying 400 a month for a yard ornament and am having to drive my husbands toyota with 200,000 miles on it and still running.
Then today, I get a letter from Mazda telling me they realize the VVT actuator is a problem and will fix it, only if your vehicle has 70,000 miles or less on it, only if you have all your maintenance records, etc. Being as everyone I have talked to has told me they had the same problem at about 80,000 miles, I feel Mazda is trying to act like they are doing something when they are not. They know it doesn't break until after 70,000 miles so I am screwed, yet again by Mazda.

- hstacy73, Pleasant Plains, AR, USA

May 192011

CX7 4 cyl Turbo

Mazda CX-7 2007, mileage 62k, engine making clicking noise, towed to dealer in WY, front engine cover pulled, and found timing chain jumped several gear teeth because chain was stretched. Chain tensioner unable to compensate for amount of stretch. Waiting on repairs, dealership needs special tooling. Possible head removal to check for bent valves, chain needs replacing, Mazda Dealership knows timing chains are a problem with this model, but there is NO RECALL on this issue at this time! Of course warranty just expired on this vehicle. Quoted $4,000 for repairs, car still in shop after 4 weeks; do not know final repair issues. If you have this model buy an extended warranty, or better yet DO NOT BY A MAZDA. See all the previous posts on this issue that Mazda still has not addressed.

- tulnick, Cheyenne, WY, USA