2010 Mazda MAZDA3 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Mazda MAZDA3:

2010 Mazda MAZDA3 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

May 152015

MAZDA3

While preparing to drive my 2010 Mazda 3, I got in to adjust the drivers seat. As I was adjusting I heard a loud pop from the front left side of the drivers seat. I got out of the car and realized the seat had a lot of play in it. I took the seat out to find out what the problem was, I noticed that the weld point that secured the seat to the cross bar under the seat, sheared off cleanly, pointing to a bad weld. This is definitely a safety hazard and I would like to be able to prevent any future accidents or worse. Based on the weld points on the passenger seat and the right side of the drivers seat, I can't imagine that this part would have ever failed, but it has and on numerous Mazda 3 models. There are at least 25 complaints on this site alone. Can someone do something about this? $700 to fix is outrageous and that "estimate" was from 3 different locations.

- Pensacola, GU, USA

Jun 172015

MAZDA3

Upon accelerating from a full stop, the left-front mounting bracket of the driver's seat broke at the weld point. This resulted in instability and significant rocking in the driver's seat when accelerating, braking, and turning. The seat instability could significantly impact the safety of the driver during an accident, rendering safety mechanisms such as the seat belt and airbags ineffective. As the mount broke under normal seat usage and driving conditions with no previous vehicle accidents, I am doubtful whether the mounting bracket is sufficient to withstand the impact of a crash.

- Medford, MA, USA

Mar 052014

MAZDA3

One of the arms that attach on the drivers seat broke in half while driving. Which now causes a rocking motion in the seat

- Lake Worth, FL, USA

Jun 012015

MAZDA3

The drivers seat made a popping sound and now rocks back and forth like a rocking chair. I looked underneath the seat and discovered that a weld on the left side of the seat is broken. I went on line and discovered dozens of complaints about this weld breaking. It even appears as a problem on a car review site. This is a safety issue, and either a design flaw or poor workmanship. Mazda should be made to fix it.

- Chardon, OH, USA

Apr 012014

MAZDA3 4-cyl

The front driver's seat should be fastened to the slide adjuster with four push nuts (two per side), but earlier VIN numbers are missing push nuts either from wear or because Mazda did not include them in the original design. Because the push nuts are missing, the seat freely rocks back and forth. The rocking can be so extreme that the entire seat rotates backwards onto the rear bench. This is extremely unsafe for at least two reasons: 1) if the airbag were to deploy in an accident, the force would knock the driver and seat backward rather than absorb the impact of the driver's body; and 2) if the seat suddenly rocked backward while driving, the driver could lose control of the vehicle. Mazda describes the issue in tsb 09-049/10, but purports that the issue merely produces a "rattle noise." But the seat doesn't just rattle, it also hinges all the way into the back seat as described above.

- Rockville, MD, USA

Dec 172014

MAZDA3

Have a 2010 Mazda3 2.5S 5 door and the driver seat rocks and jolts. Have found forums and threads about it, all related issues to welding. Tried taking it to dealer to ask their opinion and not helpful. Showed him the issue and he did indeed realize it was rocking too much and probably not safe. Informed that it was not under warranty and to replace the seat it would be $700+. I feel that there are enough cases and questions out there regarding the driver seats becoming loose that Mazda should replace or fix the weld issues at their expense. Please look closer into this issue because I fear that it will eventually fail completely and cause serious injury.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Jan 272015

MAZDA3

I was sitting down in the car (driver's seat) and adjusted my position slightly and heard a loud pop and the seatback moved backwards away from the steering wheel. The seat itself had noticeable freedom to move up and down at the left corner. Upon examination, the bracket that is welded to the support brace on the forward left side of the seat had failed at the weld locations (2). This bracket is pinned to the rail and keeps the seat bottom attached to the track. This is definitely a safety hazard and I wonder what unnecessary injuries I or my wife may have suffered had this part failed during an accident. I can't imagine that this part would ever be expected to fail.

- Oregonia, OH, USA

Jan 132015

MAZDA3 4-cyl

Sat down, heard a loud pop and seat move violently resulting in me falling away from steering wheel. Upon inspection, left side weld on front rail snapped in half.

- Union City, CA, USA

Dec 302014

MAZDA3 4-cyl

While driving, my front driver seat broke loose from the left rail. After inspecting the seat, I noticed it broke off the part that is welded to the rail. This could have easily caused an accident. I've already seen multiple other related incidents reported. I'm going to the Mazda dealer tomorrow and see wheat they will do. Ps. I'm 180 pounds, so it seems this seat was poorly welded.

- Trujillo Alto, PR, USA

Dec 092014

MAZDA3

Sat in drivers seat heard and felt a snap under drivers seat. Broken weld on seat brace.

- Leeds, MA, USA

Dec 092014

MAZDA3 4-cyl

Driver's side seat is becoming loose and "clunking" upon cornering and acceleration. A post to a Mazda group, as well as google searches results in hundreds of complains of the seat tracks breaking and this being a "common fix". this should be a huge safety concern that could cause an accident, or cause further injury in the case of an accident.

- Follansbee, WV, USA

Jul 162014

MAZDA3

I opened my car and sat down in the drivers seat as per usual only to find that the left side of my seat felt loose. As I leaned forward and backwards I could feel the seat moving with me. I got out and looked under my seat to see what may be loose. What I found was that the part of the seat assembly that attaches to the rail system had come out. I looks like a small metal bolt that goes through a metal rail and is either bolted down on the opposite side or welded together.

- Broadview Heights, OH, USA

Nov 302014

MAZDA3 4-cyl

Driver seat broke while driving, very loose after. Upon inspection found that a metal bracket on left rail broke (split in half).

- Poughkeepsie, NY, USA

Oct 212014

MAZDA3 4-cyl

I was driving down the road and heard/felt a clunk and the driver seat tilted back a few inches and became unstable. The seat now moves freely up and down and is not currently safe to drive. This was a result of weld on the seat bracket breaking and the seat losing its support. I looked online and found over 100 complaints for the same issue.

- Whittier, CA, USA

Jun 062013

MAZDA3 4-cyl

Drivers seat feel loose and wiggles. Unknown how it would hold up during a crash.

- Largo, FL, USA

Jul 122014

MAZDA3 4-cyl

The driver seat began to wobble back and forth while driving the car. The problem is due to a sheet metal piece (approximately 1/8 inch thick) that holds the seat bottom to the seat slide adjustment. The spring retainer had popped off the locating pin allowing the sheet metal to bend and the pin to come out of its retaining hole. I attempted to replace the spring retainer, but the sheet metal snapped due to work hardening. The failure mechanism appears to occur because the sheet metal is stamped during manufacture and a hole approximately 1/2 the width of the sheet metal is punched through the sheet metal drastically reducing its strength. I purchased a new slide mechanism because Mazda does not have a recall or special service program for this failure. However, when I examined the new slide mechanism, I discovered that Mazda has significantly redesigned this part to prevent the type of failure that I experienced. The new piece does not have the punched hole, but instead has a reinforced boss as well as significant amounts of welding to ensure the piece cannot bend or break. My guess is that the new design is at least 100 times more durable than the original design. Obviously, Mazda considered the old design to be substandard. I believe that this should be the subject of a recall to verify that the seat retention has not failed. This is a safety issue because the failure results in only 3 points of retention for the seat and the driver can possibly lose control due to improper restraint in the seat. I can supply pictures of the new design and defective design if you need them. There are two such pieces per seat so the possibility exists for both to fail in sequence creating a more serious safety issue.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jun 022014

MAZDA3

While driving herd a popping under the drivers seat, the seat then started rocking back in forth. Seat is unsafe to drive. Noticed several other complaints about the exact same thing obviously there is a problem with the weld points on this model. My 3rd Mazda never had any problems with my 1st 2 but the 2010 Mazda 3 quality does not hold up to the previous years.

- Florence, KY, USA

Apr 072014

MAZDA3

Driver seat is loose and rocks. A piece of metal detached and it looks like very cheap metal and poor welding.

- Merrick, NY, USA

Apr 182013

MAZDA3

The contact owns a 2010 Mazda Mazda3. The contact stated that the driver's seat frame became separated from the base. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician diagnosed that the seat bracket had fractured and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000 and the current the vehicle was 86,000.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Jan 012013

MAZDA3

The contact owns a 2010 Mazda3. The contact stated that the driver's seat frame separated from the base. The contact's independent mechanic inspected the vehicle and found a defective welding, which caused the base to separate from the seat. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 60,000 and the current the vehicle was 100,000.

- Chesterfield , MI, USA