Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The Saturn Aura was a mid-size car meant to replace the somewhat problematic L-Series. Unfortunately, the Aura brought its own problems: namely cheap brake parts that needed early replacement and a gear shifter that could say it’s in park while the transmission was still engaged.

Brake problems, including uneven wear and warped rotors that cause the car to wobble, are common complaints from 2007 owners. Did GM use metal for its rotors that can’t stand the heat? That’s what some say, and it’s hard to argue when reports show that rotors could start to warp as early as 500 miles off the dealer lot.

Meanwhile, a busted gear shifter cable lead to some unwanted rollaways. That’s because the shifter could say “Park” while the transmission was still in drive, reverse or neutral. A defect investigation into the issue was opened in 2011, eventually leading to a recall of 56,000 vehicles in 2014.

2007 Saturn Aura engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Saturn Aura:

2007 Saturn Aura Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Feb 032013

Aura 6-cyl

Oil is leaking on engine causing white smoke, smell filter inside of vehicle, but no oil on the ground.(use conventional oil) no accident since I purchase the car. Sometimes shift hard when going to next gear. Medal seen in engine oil.

- Albany, GA, USA

Jul 112013

Aura 6-cyl

I had never had problems with the transmission before this. Then one day I was just driving a couple of mile to the bank. On the way there, my 2007 Saturn Aura seemed to kick and I experienced some hard shifting. On the way back, I started to lose power at times and the car was having trouble shifting gears. I barely made it home and got it into park. The next day I had the car towed 5 miles to an independent mechanic who recommended transmission tear-down inspection, plus diagnostics & computer scan revealed codes P0717 - input speed sensor, P0756 - shift solenoid B performance stuck off, P0989-tpf switch 5 circuit low volume, P0016, P0017, P0018, P0019 variable timing actuator, P0300 - engine misfire, P0455 evap leak, P0690 engine control, P0700 -transmission controls. I paid $650 to have 4 new speed sensor/solenoid, variable timing actuators installed, but the car wouldn't get out of 3rd gear so I had the car towed 25mi to the closest GMC Saturn/Chevy dealership for the transmission work since I was given $4K - $6K estimates for the balance of the work locally. At the dealership, they looked at it and after a week, they replaced cp $1,328.11??,internal pressure sensor solenoid failed, replaced trans control module and after paying over $1,050 of the $2,167.34 bill, they told me that the timing belt was stretched, and I needed to drive it tenderly but that it wasn't worth paying to have the chain replaced and the check engine light would remain on. I drove it home and the next morning the car still wouldn't get out of 3rd gear. I had to drive the 25 miles back to the dealer at 40mph on back roads which took 2 hours. I called GM to reduce the repair costs and finally got my car back Oct. 7, 2013 in a drivable state - check engine light was still on and shifting was rough. My problem is now I can't register my car or pass smog without spending another $2K-$5K.

- Tracy, CA, USA

Nov 012013

Aura 6-cyl

At the mall, car sputtered 5-10 times before finally starting. As I was leaving mall parking lot doing 15-20mph, car suddenly loss engine power and began to shake / shutter. Dashboard console displayed reduced engine power and service traction. Car wouldn't go faster than 20-25mph. I had to take side streets to get home. Car later towed to dealer. Dealer found leaking fuel pump and throttle body cable connector loose/dirty. Tech removed connector from throttle body, cleaned it, added di-electric grease and re-connected it. Engine power regained. Fuel pump replaced at another garage due to cost at dealer. Note: This was 2nd time car was taken to same dealer with same problem. I was told it was "bad" gasoline and was charged about $86 (not including towing charge). Also told to use premium gas at another gas company. Fuel pump problem not found even when they were told about strong fuel smell coming from rear, drivers side after car sits for awhile. Asked for reimbursement from dealer owner, but it was denied.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Oct 022013

Aura 6-cyl

Having trouble with the timing chain on my 2007 Saturn Aura with only 22,232 miles. Why wasn't there a recall for this since there seems to be a lot of complaints about this. It will cost $1200 to replace the timing chain, money I just don't have.

- Hawk Run, PA, USA

Jul 042013

My car was working fine after parking for 10 minutes I came back to start my car and it wouldn't start I called my mechanic and he told me that the wire for shifting of the gears was damaged the carb wouldn't go into park and would roll on its own.

- Lodi, NJ, USA

Jun 042013

Aura 6-cyl

Vehicle would not turn over, towed to mechanic, timing chain determined to be at fault checked policy 11340A which references other 3.6L vehicles with the same issue - the Saturn Aura xr is not listed here, but is displaying the same issues. Vehicles covered under that policy indicate an extended warranty demonstrating knowledge of the issue, but acceptance of the full scope.

- Florissant, MO, USA

Jul 152009

Aura 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Aura. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the engine rpms decreased and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle then stalled. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the knock sensor needed to be replaced. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to the dealer on numerous occasions for the same failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 100,000.

- Freemount, CA, USA

May 082013

Vehicle is 6 years old had major engine failure due to timing chain failure 7000 cost to repir please help.

- Winston-Salem, NC, USA

Apr 012013

Aura 6-cyl

I have had problems with this car since shortly after purchase, most of which have never been repaired even after several attempts by dealership, passenger airbag turns off even with passenger in seat, heated seats come on by themselves, I gave up on repair of those long ago, but they are minor compared other problems I any several other owners of this car as you can read at consumer discussions, this cannot be coincidence, traction control, water pumps, clunking in the steering column and most recently check engine light issues, which in the process of more than one mechanic/dealership trying to figure out what is wrong with this car I have paid for what I would call unnecessary repairs, finally my local dealership tells me GM has told them the timing chain is stretched, I'm assuming GM knows this because they have other vehicles some 2007 models with a timing chain recall/issues, according to a local mechanic timing chains do not need regular maint. And should last much longer than my 68000 miles, I now need a 3500$$ repair although my local dealership "sympathizes" with me they feel "things just are not made they way they used to be." Just thought I'd join the many others who feel a complaint needed to be filed with GM regarding this vehicle!!!

- Harvey, LA, USA

Jan 232013

I was just informed by the dealer that the timing chain on my 2007 Saturn Aura needs to be replaced. The car has only about 72,000 miles on it. This seems highly suspicious.

- Mcfarland, WI, USA

Sep 012012

Brake lights staying on/ engine power reduced with on any warning almost rear ended.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jul 072012

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Aura. The contact stated that the check engine light was illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic who located the failure at the water pump, control arm bushing and the air conditioning compressor, which was found to be corroded. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and the current mileage was 52,600.

- Akron , OH, USA

Jul 032012

Does not shift into intended gear. Does not shift into manual shift mode. Took to the dealer now I need a new transmission and catalytic converter. Sometimes does not shift passed 2nd gear.

- Canyon Country, CA, USA