7.5

2003 Saturn Ion electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Saturn Ion:

2003 Saturn Ion Owner Comments

May 082012

Ion L1 2.2L V4

if its not one thing its another with my saturn ion 2003 l1 2.2. At first, my key kept on getting stuck in the ignition and would not turn. After changing the whole housing and putting in a new battery, i was pissed to be rewarded with yet another ignition system failure. A mechanic has told me that its probably the starter but after reading other complaints am not sure even about that. My car will turn but not start. it will eventually after some time of repeated struggles. Can anybody help?????

- , Montebello, CA, USA

Jan 192012

Ion Ion 1 2.2L

bought the car a few days ago, runs great!!! first day i go to use the car on the next day, it wont start! figured maybe the wife left the dome light on! it really had a hard time taking a jump start, but in time it did start!

day three, same thing went to use the car, won't start! tried jumping it... nothing, switch the battery out of wife's old sunfire.... still won't start. change the starter(which is not a cheap starter @ $171.00 + core) guess what? this morning... it won't start!! do some research on line, i found that the ignition switch seems to act up in cold weather. it's been in the 20's and dipping down into the single digits at night time!! stupid GM electrical systems!!

- , Dalton, NY, USA

Nov 112008

Ion

I have a 2003 Saturn Ion and I have so many problems trying to start it in the winter. I call this my "california car" because it only likes to start in the summer time. Also I had trouble with the wipers.. the motor has blown on both sides of my wipers. I had to replace my driver side then 6 months later it was my passenger side. I have problems with the tranny.. sometimes it feels like it doesn't know what gear to go into (this car is an auto).. I would never buy another Saturn in my life and I am actually looking for a new car cause I am sick of the car and I can not go through another winter not knowing if I will have to walk to work or have my car start!!

- , Fort Erie, ON, Canada

Apr 022006

Ion 4

Every few months, randomly, the car won't start. The 'service engine' message appears. Grinding at first then nothing. If I wait 15 minutes (not 14, 15) the car starts right up. Saturn has denied any reports like this but I know two Ion owners who have the same problem.

- , Kent, OH, USA