Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ahh, the 2004 Saturn Ion: defective transmission, deadly ignition switch, temperamental power steering and a cheap plastic exterior that won’t protect you in a crash. What more could you want?

The 2004 Ion was part of GM’s massive ignition switch recall where it was revealed they waited 10 years – and let 13 people die – before doing anything about it. It also features GM’s now infamous VTi continuously variable transmission. Let me tell you, the only thing the VTi did continuously was fail on its owners. GM scrapped it after only two model years.

2004 Saturn Ion accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Saturn Ion:

2004 Saturn Ion Owner Comments

Jan 072013

I would start my car and drive a little while and when I stopped at a place of business and turned my car off and in 5 minutes will be back into car to start up it will not start up. Would wait ten minutes and sometimes this worked and sometimes I would have to wait another 10 minutes. I started to use my automatic start because the car would start right away.

After big snowstorm in February, when I turned my car off did not realize it was in the ACCC position and was able to get my key out of ignition and car would turn off. This drained my battery and my car would not start. Charged my battery and same thing happened. It is scary that you can get your key out of this position or if you are driving it might cut out and turn your car off. When we called GM and my boyfriend explained the situation the person handling the inquires about the recall said this has nothing to do with the recall. But when I took my car to the mechanic he said this sounds just like the recall. This has been going on for over a year for my car not starting but this just started that I can get my car stuck in the ACCC Position and turn off the car and get my key out. Very Scaring. And now I am going to pay the mechanic for his time and the parts because I cannot get around without a car.

- , Barnegat, NJ, USA

Jun 032013

Ion 2.2L 4 cyl

My 2004 saturn ion ignition cylinder went bad, so called mechanic, tore up the ignition cylinder. He took the electronic ignition switch off the steering column and let it hang under steering wheel. I have to stick a paint can lid opener in the switch to start it. That worked for about a month the switch went bad, replaced switch made car worse, sometimes it will start sometimes it won't. All my dash lights come on and off, pwr str, low coolant, and service engine, anyone have any suggestions, I live in a rural area with no mechanics, no clue what to do?

- , Booneville, KY, USA