CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Ion still had power steering issues and a defective ignition switch leftover from previous model years, but hey – at least Saturn improved some of its safety rating to marginal, right? Baby steps.

If you had to buy a Saturn Ion – and I would question why anyone would even consider it – I suppose the 2005 could be considered the best of a bad bunch? I mean, GM did finally get rid of that awful VTi transmission, and both the power steering problems and ignition switch defect that plagued owners were recalled. The problem is they waited 10 years to recall the ignition and let over 30,000 warranty claims get filed before they bothered to fix the power steering. So you kind of have to wonder, is GM making these fixes to keep owners safe or just to keep government lawyers from taking all their money? You be the judge.

3.0

2005 Saturn Ion electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Saturn Ion:

2005 Saturn Ion Owner Comments

Apr 132007

Ion

The contact owns a 2005 Saturn Ion. The contact was driving 65 mph when the steering wheel became extremely tight. The power steering warning light was illuminated followed by the sounding of the power steering warning alarm. The contact was able to drive to his residence using extreme bodily force to maneuver the wheel. The vehicle was not repaired and the failure became progressively worse. In addition, the contact's keys would continuously become lodged within the ignition switch. The contact stated the vehicle was previously repaired for the exact same failure. The vehicle was not further repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was approximately 50,000 and the current mileage was 92,000.

- Orlando , FL, USA

Dec 072008

Ion

The contact owns a 2005 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that the key became stuck in the ignition whenever the vehicle was turned off. It took two to three minutes before it would be released from the ignition. Previously, the vehicle was taken to a mechanic who replaced the ignition switch but the failure occurred again. The VIN was unavailable at the time of the complaint. The failure mileage was approximately 30,000. The current mileage was approximately 50,000.

- Kinston, NC, USA

Dec 042009

Ion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Saturn Ion. The contact was unable to start the vehicle; however, all of the electrical components were operating normally. The dealer informed the contact that the ignition switch needed to be replaced. The contact stated that occasionally the key would not release from the ignition. The vehicle was serviced but the failure has continued to occur. The current and failure mileages were 59000. Updated 01/12/10. The consumer stated every winter the doesn't start. Updated 01/13/10.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Dec 042008

Ion

Went to start my car at 7:30 am the 1st week or so in December, wouldn't start. Went out about 10 mins later, started. It has kept happening until I went to Saturn in regina saskatchewan, Canada, and they went and replaced my ignition switch, that was last Wednesday so that would have been Jan. 7th 2009. So far no more problems.

- Indian Head, 00, USA

Jun 182007

Ion 4-cyl

I could not shut off the car which was a 2005 Saturn Ion 3. the key locked in the ignition switch and would not shut off the Y engine. The only way I was able to shut it off was by dumping the clutch, but the ignition was still on. I took the car to Saturn of indianapolis. They told me that the ignition key lock cylinder was binding and they needed to install a new ignition lock cylinder and housing. They installed a new lock cylinder, lock cylinder housing and cut two new keys.

- Pittsboro, IN, USA

Jan 302007

Ion 4-cyl

2005 Saturn Ion 1 failure to start. Faulty design related to the ignition switch.

- Sumerduck, VA, USA

Dec 122006

Ion 4-cyl

I own a 2005 Saturn Ion 1. I bought it brand new in late 2004, and have not had any problems with it at all until this winter (2006). My problem has been that when it is cold outside, the car refuses to crank at all. I took it to a Saturn dealer and they said it was the battery. I paid over $100 to have a new battery put in, and was reassured that it fixed the starting problem. I thought it had until about a week later. The car has started to have problems starting again, so I paid for a brand new car battery that I didn't need in the first place. I originally was going to take it back to Saturn to get them to look at the car again, but I started doing research online. I found that Saturn not starting in cold weather is a widespread problem, and Saturn refuses to do anything about it. I am not going to go pay to have a new ignition switch put it, when that doesn't solve the problem at all. It's ridiculous that Saturn isn't owning up to the problems so many people are having with the vehicles they own. So much money is being wasted by the consumer, trying to get a problem fixed, that isn't fixable unless GM recalls this faulty ignition switch.

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Sep 152006

Ion 4-cyl

: the contact stated while driving various speeds, the vehicle would not shift out of first gear. The service engine light illuminated and the vehicle stalled. It was started after one half hour and moved off the road. The vehicle was towed to the dealer twice where an undetermined part was replaced in the transmission and the ignition switch was also replaced. The problem reoccurred and the vehicle was driven to the dealer and the wring harness was replaced. The problem has not reoccurred.

- San Antonio, TX, USA