CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Ion still had power steering issues and a defective ignition switch leftover from previous model years, but hey – at least Saturn improved some of its safety rating to marginal, right? Baby steps.

If you had to buy a Saturn Ion – and I would question why anyone would even consider it – I suppose the 2005 could be considered the best of a bad bunch? I mean, GM did finally get rid of that awful VTi transmission, and both the power steering problems and ignition switch defect that plagued owners were recalled. The problem is they waited 10 years to recall the ignition and let over 30,000 warranty claims get filed before they bothered to fix the power steering. So you kind of have to wonder, is GM making these fixes to keep owners safe or just to keep government lawyers from taking all their money? You be the judge.

2005 Saturn Ion electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Saturn Ion:

2005 Saturn Ion Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Jun 122013

Ion

When attempting to start the car, the ignition switch would not turn. After a number of attempts, the key being shaken the car would start. I took this car to echanic and he said the ignition switch needs to be replaced. He also stated that they have seen a number of issues with this ignition and suggested I contact GM and see if there is a recall. At times it would take 10 minutes before I could start the car

- Garfield Hts, OH, USA

Oct 232013

Ion

Drove less then a mile, stopped at a stop sign saw smoke pouring out from under the hood my husband opened the car door to see what was going on when flames shot in beside his leg we jump out of the car and he got our son out of his car seat. The car is completely totaled. The fire department said that it started order the hood and they believe that it was electrical.

- Macon, GA, USA

Oct 072009

Ion

The contact owns a 2005 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that while attempting to start the vehicle, the key became stuck in the ignition and the vehicle was unable to be started. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was diagnosed that the ignition switch and the anti-theft system needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 80,000.

- Buffalo , NY, USA

Sep 052013

Ion

The contact owns a 2005 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that she attempted to remove the key from the ignition but it would not release. The contact had to shake the key until it released. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Lamont , IL, USA

Sep 092013

Ion

I was driving and the power steering light went on as did ther check engine light..the car was very hard to drive..I had it in and to a GM dealer--they said by the time I drove it up (40 miles)car didn't do it again..while up there they could not find problem and said because the light wouldn't go on for them--they wanted to charge me $98..I had been in touch with GM in mich.they helped me get the power steering motor replaced.at no charge.I have had the car home for about 1 week--and the same thing happened as I was driving on 10-02-13-power steering light went on..so I had to sign a statement if it happened again they would not be responsible if not there fault..what a saftey hazzard..I bought the car brand new and never had trouble except for this--which it's like not having a car..in touch with GM again--waiting for a call back..

- Iron Station, NC, USA

May 022011

Ion

2005 Saturn Ion the key won't turn on the car easily and the key gets stuck in the ignition when turning off the car. It can take me up to 10-15 minutes to turn the car on/off. I had this problem when I first bought the car, maybe 2007 and I paid approx, $800 dollars at the Saturn dealership to get it fixed (ignition/steering column)only to get paid back the money through a recall. Now, the ignition and the key are acting in the same matter. Problem has been going on for months, with no end in sight. As a matter of fact, it keeps getting worse.

- Tempe, AZ, USA

Jul 292012

Ion

The contact owns a 2005 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that when the vehicle was parked, he could not power down the vehicle. The contact attempted to remove the key from the ignition but the key remained stuck and none of the electrical components would shut off. The manufacturer was not contacted. The vehicle was not repaired or diagnosed. The approximate failure mileage was 79,000.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

May 062013

Ion

The contact owns a 2005 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that the ignition failed. When the key was inserted into the ignition, the steering wheel seized and the engine failed to start. The failure was experienced numerous times. The dealer replaced the key code however, the failure was not corrected. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 97,000. Kmj

- Fort Wayne , IN, USA

Jan 142013

Ion

When the car sits for a day or more it won't crank and needs to be jumped off. The battery and altenator are good and so are the fuses. I have changed ignition relay and no difference. Had car running and would not this morning after sitting for 18 hrs. Batt is totally dead.

- Bethune, SC, USA

Nov 262009

Ion 4-cyl

After 50K miles key gets stuck in the ignition and takes 5-10 minutes to come out, replaced ignition cylinder still same issue, unable to turn engine off, hazard.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 052009

Ion

The contact owns a 2005 Saturn Ion. The contact stated the key became lodged in the ignition switch. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that the ignition switch needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included on any recalls. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 52,000.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Aug 292012

Ion

The contact owns a 2005 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that after shifting the vehicle in park, the vehicle stalled and she was unable to remove the key from the ignition. The vehicle was taken to a local repair shop. The manufacturer was contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage and current mileage was 72,797.

- Oxnard, CA, USA

Jul 152012

Ion

The key gets stuck in the ignition, this has been a problem for 2 years, often have to leave the car with the key in (this is very unsafe). Today the key was stuck and would not turn, I could not turn the car off --- this is an extremely unsafe situation.

- Eastlake, OH, USA

Oct 052005

Ion

The car has issues with lighting malfunction. My passenger side running light/turn signal required many bulb changes, every few weeks or so, since the socket overheated and accordingly received a signal from the body module to shut off. This seems like the same problem that led to a recall with the 2003 and 2004 Ions. I recently was finally able to get this safety-related aspect of the vehicle remedied, for a few hundred dollars.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Feb 012010

Ion 4-cyl

I have had to replace the ignition switch 3 times because I am unable to turn the car completely off. I am starting to have problems again where I sometimes can not shut it off and I know that these will lead to me having to replace the switch again. The first time it was replaced at no charge and I have had to pay for the other 2 times.

- Zebulon, NC, USA

Oct 212011

Ion

The contact owns a 2005 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that vehicle could not be started during colder weather due to the anti-theft sensor. The contact stated that the vehicle would have to sit at least twenty minutes after starting in order for the vehicle to reset. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to diagnose the failure. The dealer advised the contact to have the vehicle towed when the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified who stated that the dealer could not repair the vehicle until properly diagnosed. The failure mileage was 83,000.

- Hampshire, IL, USA

Dec 032011

Ion 4-cyl

The first time it went off was when we were entering a highway. The electric alarm went off and then I found the steering was not working. It was dangerous and very hard to pull over when cars behind are accelerating to get into the highway traffic. After a restart, everything seemed okay. Then on our way back home the same thing happened for 4 or 5 times. We had to drive in the right lane at a low speed to give ourselves enough space for safty.

- Belmont, CA, USA

Sep 302011

Ion 4-cyl

My 2005 Saturn Ion will not start when it's cold, I replaced the starter, I replaced the neutral safety switch, I replaced the ignition switch, I was extremely frustrated. I cut the white wire after roll starting as my car is a manual and taped off wires, car now starts anytime I need it to, GM / Saturn need to recall this issue and quit being cheap and fix there mistakes.

- North Las Vegas, NV, USA

Nov 242011

Ion 4-cyl

I had been driving approx. 2 hours of a 11 hour trip when I saw a message replace the odometer about the power steering. I left I95 using exit 98 and pulled over in a gas station. The manual stated that the power steering was electric, so no steering fluid to check. I restarted the car and magically the problem was fixed and my trip odometer was magically set to zero. I drove around the frontage road and everything seemed fine so I continued on my way. 22 miles later the same thing happened. I took the next exit, shut the car off, restarted it and magically again it was fixed with no reset of the trip odometer. Again I continued on my trip only to have it happen again 23 miles later, at which point I repeated the stopping/restarting procedure and turned around headed for home. While driving home it happened two more times, then once more in the driveway when I was backing up. So a total of 6 times within a 5 hour period and no prior history (since I've owned it) of this problem. I purchased this car used from a dealer May 28 2011 with approx. 46500 miles. The only other problem I've had is the key not wanting to come out of the ignition after I've turned the car off; after I put the gear shift into reverse then back into park, the key will come out; sometimes I can hear a clicking sound when the ignition switch fixes itself and then the key will come out, also.

- Charleston, SC, USA

Aug 022011

Ion

I have a Saturn Ion 05 and have had to replace the power steering once already and now having the same issue again. Also the turn signal on the front drivers side only works when my hazards or head lamps are on have tested all fuses and replaced bulb twice this is a commom complaint why isnt it being fixed?

- Bend, OR, USA