Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005 Ion still had power steering issues and a defective ignition switch leftover from previous model years, but hey – at least Saturn improved some of its safety rating to marginal, right? Baby steps.

If you had to buy a Saturn Ion – and I would question why anyone would even consider it – I suppose the 2005 could be considered the best of a bad bunch? I mean, GM did finally get rid of that awful VTi transmission, and both the power steering problems and ignition switch defect that plagued owners were recalled. The problem is they waited 10 years to recall the ignition and let over 30,000 warranty claims get filed before they bothered to fix the power steering. So you kind of have to wonder, is GM making these fixes to keep owners safe or just to keep government lawyers from taking all their money? You be the judge.

2005 Saturn Ion fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Saturn Ion:

2005 Saturn Ion Owner Comments

Aug 262016

As soon as you turn the key on the fuel pump starts pumping fuel out over the left rear wheel with out starting the car.I have read that the 2006 and up Saturn have a recall on the fuel pumps but not the 2005 why. Will they recall the 2005 models in the future.

- Harrison, OH, USA

Aug 122016

While traveling on highway, I stopped and filled up gasoline and I noticed a continuing strong gas smell in car. Thought I spilled gas on myself but later upon inspection in my garage, I found gas dripping from plastic fuel line (under car, right behind driver's door). Due to danger, I immediately set up appointment with polar Chevrolet, who decided the fuel line needed replacement. Cost was $623.44

- Vadnais Heights, MN, USA

Dec 232015

Noticed liquid dripping from driver side of car by rear wheel while car was parked in my parking stall. Took the car into dealership. Dealer confirmed fuel lines had rusted out. Fuel lines and fuel filter were replaced.

- Des Moines, IA, USA

Dec 202015

The contact owns a 2005 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that while in park, the contact noticed fuel leaking from underneath the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the fuel lines were leaking and had corroded. The mechanic stated that the fuel lines needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 190,000.

- Appleton, WI, USA

Oct 252015

The car was fueled up, when it was being started it had great difficulty. Once it was running, it was driven and a right turn was made, then all gauges died. The check engine light, the airbag light and the "pwr str" massage remained on. The car was pulled over to the side of the road and turned the ignition switch to the off position the three indicators remained on and the car refused for about two minutes before turning off.

- Cleveland, WI, USA

Sep 282015

The contact owns a 2005 Saturn Ion. While driving approximately 30 mph, the gear shift failed to switch into the reverse position without warning.the vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. On another occasion, the contact mentioned that there was a fuel odor emitting from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the fuel line was rusted and the fuel pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 92,000.

- Newport, RI, USA

Mar 102015

The contact owns a 2005 Saturn Ion. The contact noticed fuel leaking out of the fuel tank. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000. Updated 11/19/15

- Greenback, TN, USA

Sep 192014

This car leaks fuel when filled and you can smell fuel coming from the car at all times. The check engine light is on and the code indicates that fuel is evaporating from the tank. This make and model has been recalled in several southern states where the fuel evaporates more quickly due to the temperature. The problem is worse as the temperature increases. Mr. Goodwrench and GM refuse to correct this problem without charging for their own diagnosis. It does not take certified mechanic to watch the fuel drip onto the ground or to read a code that has already been read. I have opened a claim with GM but the most assistance that is given is to schedule a service call & tow at my expense. I will not drive a car leaking gas and endanger my life and others to pay to find out it is still leaking gas from Mr. Goodwrench.

- West Greenwich, RI, USA

May 152014

The contact owns a 2005 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that the vehicle hesitated upon turning the key in the ignition and an abnormal noise was present. The contact had to turn the vehicle off and reset the computer by restarting the vehicle each time the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for a manufacturer recall and they repaired the vehicle for the ignition switch failure. The contact also noticed strong fumes emitting from outside and inside the vehicle and it idled roughly. The dealer did not diagnose the fuel system failure. The vehicle was also included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering) months ago and was unable to determine when the recall repair would be performed. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 200,000.

- Carson City, NV, USA

Nov 242014

The contact owns a 2005 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that while driving at low speed, fuel fumes emitted into the vehicle. After inspecting the vehicle, the contact noticed that there was a leak in the fuel line pipe. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the fuel line needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- North Hampton, PA, USA

Sep 102014

Ion 4-cyl

My fuel line began leaking and when I checked I determined there was a hole in it near the drivers back tire near the clip, the fuel line is also rusted out. I had to have the entire thing replaced and was a cost of over $850. I feel this is a safety issue and should be on a recall list. Fuel lines should not rust out like this and I have been advised this by 2 reputable mechanics. This is also very dangerous, if I had not noticed it I could have run the risk of my car catching on fire. This issue put my family and I in danger. This is as deplorable as the power steering and ignition issues. GM needs to correct this issue at no cost to the car owners who trusted them to build a safe car. I am also consulting legal advise, and reaching out the attorney general and the better business bureau.

- Columbus , OH, USA

Aug 122014

The fuel line has rusted & leaking gasoline onto the exhaust pipe near the driver's side rear tire.

- Springport, MI, USA

Mar 012006

Ion 4-cyl

* other affected part was speed control.... aside of the current recall issue having been a problem since I purchased the vehicle in 2005 (which has "been repaired"-I guess so if you call repaired the car trying to start itself, not starting at all, current PCM overload thanks to soo many negative codes being thrown for this worthless piece of junk.) I have filed numerous complaints with the dealership about the throttle body and am constantly and consistently provided the same answer and it is becoming a big problem. You see this car has left me stranded numerous times (to the point where I cannot keep count any longer) because the throttle body is trash. Not one but two check engines lights appear on the dash, the car shakes (literally to the point where it feels like every plastic panel is going to fall off), I cannot travel any higher than approx. 10mph and have to pull over, turn the car off (keys of course become stuck in the ignition due to the faulty switch) and wait until my car is then ready to start and the throttle body wants to operate as it should. I am now filing this complaint as the most recent codes pulling are once again the throttle body and the now the PCM. This part needs to be added to recent recalls. It is not safe to be traveling at 45mph or higher, then the vehicle shuts down and lowers speed to 10mph or less-esp. If you have no where to pull over safely (yes, this has happened to me on more than once.) I have my car back from the recall the car to still wont start, tries to turn itself over & keeps my keys stuck in the ignition. My steering column has been busted open on the bottom in order to release the keys which is ridiculous yet my car is still not functional due to other faulty, crap, junk, trash (whatever you would prefer to list them as in this documentation) parts that I will most likely be expected to pay for yet again.

- Frdericksburg, VA, USA

Apr 052011

The contact owns a 2005 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that after refueling and pulling out the nozzle, the filler neck came completely out with it. The contact mentioned that the engine warning lamp was also illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure could not be diagnosed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 80,000 and the current mileage was 108,184.

- Houston, TX, USA