CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Ion still had power steering issues and a defective ignition switch leftover from previous model years, but hey – at least Saturn improved some of its safety rating to marginal, right? Baby steps.

If you had to buy a Saturn Ion – and I would question why anyone would even consider it – I suppose the 2005 could be considered the best of a bad bunch? I mean, GM did finally get rid of that awful VTi transmission, and both the power steering problems and ignition switch defect that plagued owners were recalled. The problem is they waited 10 years to recall the ignition and let over 30,000 warranty claims get filed before they bothered to fix the power steering. So you kind of have to wonder, is GM making these fixes to keep owners safe or just to keep government lawyers from taking all their money? You be the judge.

2005 Saturn Ion steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Saturn Ion:

2005 Saturn Ion Owner Comments (Page 3 of 11)

Mar 192012

Ion 4-cyl

Eps went out while sitting at a light. I drove the 5 miles home without power steering. Upon restarting the car, the eps resumed working.

- Oklahoma Clity, OK, USA

Feb 132012

Ion 4-cyl

At stop light, power steering flashed on dash. Drove about one mile, went back on, another mile and power steering went off for good.

- Pocomoke City, MD, USA

Jan 142012

Ion

While traveling on the interstate a power steering failure notice appeared on the dash and it became difficult to steer. Upon restarting the vehicle, the power steering function returned. The power steering has failed 8 additional times in the past month since 1/14/12. Fortunately we have not had an accident due to failure. I am a large athletic built 230 man, and I have difficulty steering upon failure. I fear an accident would occur if the steering failed and my 120 lb wife had to make a sudden change in direction.

- Bryant, AR, USA

Feb 042012

Ion

The contact owns a 2005 Saturn Ion. While driving approximately 30 mph, the power steering warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel for a few seconds and then there was a complete loss of powering steering. The contact was able to continue driving with difficulty in turning the steering wheel. The failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 22,558.

- Neptune City , NJ, USA

Jan 032012

Ion

Power steering system goes on and off. Happens at all speeds and in turns. Multiple accidents have nearly occurred because of this. There has been an extended warranty up to 100,000 miles but if you're car is past it GM refuses to do anything about it. This is a safety issue because of a bad design! not right I should have to pay to be safe because of a faulty design.

- Turtle Lake, WI, USA

Dec 242011

Ion 4-cyl

While driving down the road at normal speed 55 mph we get a ding ding ding with a pwr steer light to come on and then we have no power steering. Luckily my husband was driving. After calling the Saturn dealership it appears to be the power steering assist module. This is dangerous due to you not getting much of a warning.

- Carlisle, KY, USA

Dec 162011

Ion 4-cyl

Power steering keeps failing on and off during turns at all speeds.

- Olympia, WA, USA

Nov 152011

Ion

The contact owns a 2005 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The steering wheel seized and became difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer for a diagnostic test and the technician stated that the power steering motor would have to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. There was an open investigation under NHTSA action number: EA11014 (steering:electric power assist system), that may be related to the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 48,000.

- Salem, OR, USA

Dec 032011

Ion 4-cyl

The first time it went off was when we were entering a highway. The electric alarm went off and then I found the steering was not working. It was dangerous and very hard to pull over when cars behind are accelerating to get into the highway traffic. After a restart, everything seemed okay. Then on our way back home the same thing happened for 4 or 5 times. We had to drive in the right lane at a low speed to give ourselves enough space for safty.

- Belmont, CA, USA

Feb 012011

Ion 4-cyl

The power steering on this car repeatedly fails. As soon as you start the car the power steering light comes on making it extremely difficult to maneuver the car.

- Clayton, NC, USA

Nov 242011

Ion 4-cyl

I had been driving approx. 2 hours of a 11 hour trip when I saw a message replace the odometer about the power steering. I left I95 using exit 98 and pulled over in a gas station. The manual stated that the power steering was electric, so no steering fluid to check. I restarted the car and magically the problem was fixed and my trip odometer was magically set to zero. I drove around the frontage road and everything seemed fine so I continued on my way. 22 miles later the same thing happened. I took the next exit, shut the car off, restarted it and magically again it was fixed with no reset of the trip odometer. Again I continued on my trip only to have it happen again 23 miles later, at which point I repeated the stopping/restarting procedure and turned around headed for home. While driving home it happened two more times, then once more in the driveway when I was backing up. So a total of 6 times within a 5 hour period and no prior history (since I've owned it) of this problem. I purchased this car used from a dealer May 28 2011 with approx. 46500 miles. The only other problem I've had is the key not wanting to come out of the ignition after I've turned the car off; after I put the gear shift into reverse then back into park, the key will come out; sometimes I can hear a clicking sound when the ignition switch fixes itself and then the key will come out, also.

- Charleston, SC, USA

Nov 162011

Ion

The contact owns a 2005 Saturn Ion. The contact was driving 35 mph when the power steering failed while the contact was making a left turn. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer and the manufacturer was not contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileages were 130,000.

- Encino, CA, USA

Jun 132011

Ion 4-cyl

On 6/13/11, when I was leaving for work I started my car and immediately my pwrstr message came up on the dashboard and could not hardly turn the wheel. Called the dealership cause I received a bulletin letter. I brought the car in on 6/14/11, they said they put in a new ps motor. On 11/6/11 the pwr str came up again. I brought the car back to them on 11/7/11, they said I needed a new steering column and cost was $897.which they said they replaced. On 11/15/11, the same message appeared and could not steer the wheel. This is after supposedly they replaced the ps motor and steering column. Going back today 11/16/11, to see what crap they are going to tell me.why does this keep on happening?? GM needs to fix the problem not put a band aid on it, before something serious happens, and evidently they are not. By the way how do I know they are actually doing the repairs, if the problem keeps coming back and the service advisor is so mean. Please help!! there is a very big problem with these cars and we & are families are being put at risk every time we drive them.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Nov 072011

Ion 4-cyl

I was driving my 2005 Saturn Ion at 50 mph on a highway when the power steering warning alarm sounded and the instrument panel displayed power steering failure. I was able to pull over to the side of the road. I turned of the engine and raised the hood to check the fuses. The fuses were good, so I restarted the car and the power steering display was clear. I drove a few more miles and the same thing happened again. After some research I have discovered this is a common failure on Saturn Ion and other GM vehicles with electric power steering. This could be very dangerous for many drivers when this happens without warning! it is harder to steer the slower you drive.

- Honey Grove, TX, USA

Nov 032011

Ion 4-cyl

Electric power steering problems. Pwr str message.

- Jackson, OH, USA

Oct 172011

Ion

The contact owns a 2005 Saturn Ion. The contact stated while driving 5 mph and at a stand still, the power steering failed. The contact called a mechanic who referred her to NHTSA because they were not sure of what the failure was. The dealer nor manufacturer were notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 27,484.

- Reading, PA, USA

Oct 052011

Ion 4-cyl

Power steering failed while driving. Created dangerous situation because of difficulty in maneuvering.

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

Jun 102011

Ion 4-cyl

Lost of power steering started some time in 2009, I have no record of the date, but in one of the incidents 06/10/2011 I took a picture of the dashboard showing the date and message on the speedometer. I restarted the engine every time this happen to get it back to power steering.then I had a situation when I lost speed as I was traveling on a city avenue. The car lost speed when I was traveling around 35 mph, it made a alarm or warning sound and drop down to 10mph and I could not get back to 35mph, I stop the car and I restarted the engine, that was the only way it would recover the power on the engine. It happens two or three times in one month.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Aug 012011

Ion 4-cyl

My power steering keeps going out, the light comes on and I loose powersteering. If I shut it off and turn it back on the light goes off and I have steering again. It used to only happen like once a week, now it happens multiple times in one day.

- Yankton, SD, USA

Aug 282011

Ion 4-cyl

My 2005 Ion lost power steering at 45mph. Pulled over and shut it off then it came back. Been hearing reports that his happens to a lot of these cars. Really don't have the money to fix it as it seem to be expensive. If I had known, I wouldn't have bought the car. Hope a recall is on it, cause this could be dangerous.

- Barneveld, NY, USA