NHTSA — Air Bags Problems

2006 Saturn Ion (Page 2 of 3)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: When it comes to the 2006 Ion, the biggest questions are: what big problem is going to pop up next? And how long until GM chooses to address it?

The 2006 Ion has a defective ignition switch that gave owners fits. Their keys would get stuck in the ignition, the engine wouldn’t shut off or in some cases it would shut off at the most dangerous time. The ignition was eventually recalled as part of one of the largest recalls of all-time , but it took GM 10 years to do it. Then there’s this car’s temperamental power steering which is prone to stop working randomly while driving. It too was eventually recalled, even if GM took their sweet time about it.

Lastly, it turns out a car built with plastic doors, fenders and bumpers – while fun for a game of “shopping cart bocce” – is horrible for safety.

2006 Saturn Ion seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Saturn Ion:

2006 Saturn Ion Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Ion 4-cyl

I am the unfortunately owner of a government motors products that is subject to a recall. I have received now 10 notifications in almost 90 days demanding I have this recall performed immediately. In the course of nearly 90 days, I have contacted 5 different dealers and have been told the same thing; "we will take your name and number and contact you when we can perform the recall?. while I understand with an inferior product, made worse by government intervention into a private business, requires recalls and due to the high volume of cars subject to the recall due to the government picking GM as a company to promote, part production may be limited, I do not understand why I get these letters. I would happily comply with the recall, as a matter of safety, but when the dealer refuses to provide the recall, I cannot comply. The last letter I received was a post card that implied serious consequences could result and even had a date ?as of May 24th this has not been performed." I am fully aware and I have not spent over 3 hours between calls and letters trying to comply with this pseudo-government demand. Please provide guidance on how to proceed. The last agent at GM I spoke with said that they would continue to mail letters as they are directed by the government to do so. So I ask you, the government Agency partially responsible, please stop sending me letters to do what is not possible to do. I am aware of the recall. I have done what I have been instructed to do by each letter I have received and I have been assured my name and number is on a list to contact me when they can provide the recall. Unlike the average american I do have a little bit of common sense and take personal responsibility for my vehicles.

- Conyers, GA, USA

May 112014

Ion

While driving the air bag service light appeared. I was told by the dealership that if in a crash the airbags would not deploy. This problem needs immediate attention. My vehicle is going in today to find the exact problem. Diagnostics is right around $100.

- Boise, ID, USA

Oct 092011

Ion 4-cyl

2006 Saturn Ion. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle ignition recall repairs and seeks reimbursement. The consumer stated 2 years ago, the ignition completely froze and the vehicle had to be towed to a local garage. The consumer believed the ignition problem he experienced was related to the current recall. Also, the air bag light illuminated and the moonroof wouldn't close.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

May 012014

Ion 4-cyl

2006 Saturn Ion. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch recall notice. The consumer stated the vehicle has been at the dealer for 3 weeks, due to lack of parts. Last year, the consumer's wife experienced the exact failure, the vehicle was being recalled for.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Aug 232010

Ion 4-cyl

2006 Saturn Ion. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch recall notice repairs. The consumer stated the key would not turn, to shut the vehicle off.

- North Webster, IN, USA

Mar 052014

Ion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Saturn Ion. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id numbers 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system) and 14V171000 (electrical system), however the parts needed to complete the repair were unavailable. The dealer was unable to provide an expected date for when the remedy part would become available. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The contact had not experienced a failure. Updated 06/10/14 MA updated 07/03/14

- Kattskill Bay, NY, USA

Ion 4-cyl

2003 Saturn Ion. Consumer writes in regards to ignition recall notice. The consumer stated on several occasions, the vehicle would not start. She had to turn the key a certain way, in order for it to start.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Ion 4-cyl

2006 Saturn Ion. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch recall notice issues. The consumer stated she experienced several incidents over the years, that made no sense, until she received the recall the notice in the mail.

- Yorba Linda, CA, USA

Ion 4-cyl

2006 Saturn Ion. Consumer writes in regards to lack availability of parts to complete recall.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Apr 102014

Ion 4-cyl

I had the ignition switch replaced about 4 months ago prior to the recall announcement. The air bag light had been going on and off ever since I bought the car. It was found at that time that a add on passive kill switch relay had been placed in the air bag relay location. Not long after the key would not come out of the ignition and the car could not be turned off which is when I took it to an auto repair shop who replaced it with another ignition. Now, the air bag light has been coming on while driving and then going off again. It looks like GM is still selling the faulty ignitions. I have received the recall notice. It says however that they do not have the working parts with no indication of when this deadly part can be replaced. What is one to do" yes, I saw their statement that we should park the car until the repair can be made - when ever, if ever, they bother to have the parts. How do I get around until then??? have there been any other reports of the issue that I reported on this site prior of the alarm going off at random times - no strong winds, trucks going by or persons around the vehicle even though I do not set the alarm on" I had to disconnect the battery until I got it to the shop days later but since it was not doing it then they could not find the issue. I suspect the entire electrical system in the Ion is faulty.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Feb 282014

Ion

The contact owns 2006 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the contact crashed into another vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy and there was a significant power loss. The contact sustained a bruised pancreas and severe back pain. A police report was filed of the incident. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to salvage yard. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. There was a recall under NHTSA campaign id number 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system). The approximate failure mileage was 85,173.

- Cadillac, MI, USA

Feb 082014

Ion 4-cyl

2006 Saturn Ion. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch recall and seeks reimbursement for repairs.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Apr 012009

Ion 4-cyl

Beginning in 2009 through today 4/10/2014 my daughter's Saturn Ion has had ignition problems and intermittent air bag light problems. All of the problems noted in the recall from GM apply to her car. She has contact GM via email throughout 2010 including customer service, a Mr. Henderson and a Mr. Reuss. We have copies of these emails. No one would help her even though she mentioned that she feared for her life. These incidents were life threatening. She has been to 2 GM dealerships over the years to get these items fixed and received no help from the dealership either. They said they can't find a problem. She needs help from someone and I hope that is you. Thank you. Respectfully,

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Feb 192014

Ion

The contact owns a 2006 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that the check engine warning light would sporadically illuminate and the vehicle would intermittently stall. The vehicle was taken to the dealer numerous times where the sensor was reset but did not prevent the stalling failure. On once occasion while the driver was traveling approximately 30 mph around a curb, the vehicle lost power and accelerated while stalling. The driver was not able to intervene and crashed into a tree, splitting the tree upon impact. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed and the vehicle was destroyed. The driver sustained internal bruising from the impact. The contact later received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 14V047000 (air bags and electrical system) but the part needed to complete the recall service was not available. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was not available.

- Tupelo, MS, USA

Mar 032014

Ion

The contact owns a 2006 Saturn Ion. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number:14V047000 (air bags and electrical system) and stated that the parts were not available. The dealer provided an unreasonable timeframe for when the parts would become available. The manufacturer was also notified and provided an unreasonable estimated date for when the contacts vehicle would be repaired. The VIN was not available. There are no failures at this time.

- Prairieville, LA, USA

Oct 032013

Ion

The contact owns a 2006 Saturn Ion. The contact stated while traveling at various low speeds, the engine stalled with the illumination of the warning indicator. The vehicle engine and resumed normally. The failure recurred intermittently. There was a recall related to the failure under NHTSA campaign id number 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system); however, the part needed to perform the repair was currently unavailable. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 78,000.

- Liscruces, NM, USA

Dec 082011

Ion

This car has been cursed with electronic steering problems. The car has been serviced repeatedly. I have had very little response and zero satisfaction from GM. The key often does not release from the ignition. The car was involved in a violent front end collision that was caused by these issues. I bought the car (based on a false Saturn promise) and I had two daughters in the front of the car during the preventable collision. I couldn't figure out why the bags did not deploy. Now I get it! the car cuts off when making a right hand turn. I do not believe a single thing that GM says to me. I am going in for a rental car tomorrow. I. do not even believe that this will go according to plan. I take the car for service, they tell me that they, "cannot repeat the problem." GM sucks and so does NHTSA. Earn your money. I earned mine. I want to add, in addition to steering, brakes, ignition -- the electronic system in this car is a complete mess...........

- Manhattan Beach, CA, USA

Dec 082011

- Manhattan Beach, CA, USA

Jul 312013

Ion

Occasionally the airbag warning light would stay on after ignition. Similar to NHTSA campaign number 14V118000.

- Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

Jan 052012

Ion

I was in the center lane of I-5 northbound, in portland, Oregon. The car in front of me stopped suddenly. I was in a long line of traffic. When I hit my brakes, my car jerked to the right. While trying to correct, I hit the wheels of a semi on my right. I bounced off, the car spun 90 degrees to the left, crossed the inside lane (fortunately I didn't get hit broadside), & went straight into the concrete freeway divider. The airbags did not deploy. I went to the hospital by ambulance, & have had neck & shoulder pain ever since. My car was totaled.

- Vancouver, WA, USA