NHTSA — Fuel System, Gasoline Problems

2007 Saturn Ion (Page 1 of 3)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: With the 2007 model year we finally get to bid adieu to a car famous for poor safety marks, a dangerously defective ignition and power steering that would work … sometimes.

2007 Saturn Ion fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Saturn Ion:

2007 Saturn Ion Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Aug 012016

Ion 4-cyl

2007 Saturn Ion. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle VIN not listed in fuel odor-fuel pump module service bulletin. Consumer requests reimbursement for fuel pump repairs. Consumer sent additional correspondence. The consumer stated the vehicle was taken in for repair, immediately upon detecting a smell of gas.

- Sidney, NE, USA

Jul 012014

Ion 4-cyl

2007 Saturn Ion. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle fuel leak repairs and consumer seeks reimbursement. The consumer stated the vehicle developed a fuel leak in July 2014. There was a strong odor inside and outside the vehicle. The consumer received a recall notice regarding the same issue in August 2015. The consumer claim for reimbursement was denied. According to GM, the repair performed, was not the repair covered by the customer service action program. The consumer referenced recall # 12V459000.

- Hershey, PA, USA

Jan 022014

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that gasoline fuel fumes emitted inside and outside of the vehicle after turning the engine off. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Buckeye, AZ, USA

Aug 142014

Ion

Bill Dodge auto group, westbrook me 04092, invoice 841019, customer states can smell fuel check for leak, 00 diag and replace leaking fuel pump and sender. 8986 cgm $us 198.00,1 19257125 nb- (s) module kit $390.32. Parts $390.32 labor 198 other 0 total $588.32 62491 fuel sending unit found fuel leaking by tank area, removed tank and found sending unit return line broken of sending unit, will need new sending unit, removed and replaced sending unit & checked for leaks, O.K. NHTSA campaign id number 12V459000 Sept 19, 2012 fuel system, gasoline delivery pump, fuel leakage in the presence of an ignition source may result in a fire.

- Nanuet, ND, USA

Oct 232014

Ion 4-cyl

The Saturn Ion 2007 that I own is bleeding gas. Fuel lines are rusted near the plastic retain clip. Fuel pump plastic is cracked, fuel tank has rusted in a small but significant spot. Recall #09V419000 is not being adhered to by GM. This is the most unsafe problem I have ever heard of. I live in virgina, very humid state. 100% humidity is common. I should have been notified of the problem since it is recalled. If this has not caused multiple fires and fatalities it would be a miracle. My complaint is the state specifically of the recall leaves lots of people without notification of a very serious problem with those cars.

- Hopewell, VA, USA

Sep 012014

Ion

There is a strong odor of gasoline both outside and inside the vehicle. This seems to be a result from some sort of flaw in the plastic supply or return port of the modular reservoir assembly located near the fuel tank. GM has issued a recall in several states under GM recall no. 090226 and NHTSA campaign id number 09V419000. As this could potentially cause a fire and is massive safety concern, this should be broadened to all states for this model.

- Bremerton, WA, USA

Jul 092014

Ion 4-cyl

2007 Saturn Ion. Consumer writes in regards to faulty ignition switch recall issues. The consumer stated after the recall was performed, he noticed the remote no longer worked, which worked prior. The next problem, was the key being difficult to remove from the ignition and sometimes it was difficult to insert the key into the ignition. Occasionally, the vehicle would not shut off. The consumer would have to turn the key to off and then on, which would require several attempts, to get the vehicle to turn off. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, whey the shaved the keys and said that should fix the problem. As for the remote, the dealer couldn't reprogram it, and they suggested, just buying a new one. The consumer soon discovered, the problem remained the same. Also, the fuel pump had to replaced. The pump was built with plastic fuel lines molded into the top of the pump. At about 70,000, the plastic lines cracked at the top of the pump, probably due to vibration. The problem could have been avoided, by using steel lines connected to the pump, or coming off the pump with a short section of the hose. The fracture leak was small at first, but smell gas was present, but a leak could not be found, until the pressure line cracked at the point it made a puddle under the vehicle. The pump was replaced at a cost of $ 600. However, the new pump was built exactly like the failed pump.

- Twin Falls, ID, USA

Jun 282014

Ion 4-cyl

Started smelling gasoline around the car. Upon inspection found that the gas tank was leaking at the seam where the filler tube goes into the tank. The leak was not just at one point but practically all the way around. The gas was literally streaming out. I took it to the dealership and all they said was that it was not covered under any recall and unless the fuel pump itself is leaking they would charge me $120 diagnosis fee. I patched it and got it down to a seep. About 2 months later the fuel pump started leaking. I took it to a different dealer and they said they would replace the pump but I had to pay for the fuel tank ($831). Labor would be free since the tank is off anyway. My complaint is that the fuel tank should never start leaking. It was leaking far more than the pump and in my opinion was far more dangerous. Even at very low levels it would leak a considerable amount, especially if parked on a upward incline.

- Tyler, TX, USA

Jul 282014

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that fuel fumes were emitted around the vehicle. After inspecting the vehicle, the contact was unable to locate a leak. The problem recurred several times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 74,000.

- Emmitsburg, MD, USA

Aug 082014

Ion 4-cyl

I don't know what caused it, but I recently started noticing a strong fuel odor around my car within the last month. I crawled underneath the car to check for leaks and determined that the fuel tank has cracked at the seam where the plastic spout was mated/molded to the main part of the plastic fuel tank on the rear side of the tank. Fuel currently leaks from the crack when the tank is approximately more than 3/4 full; especially when accelerating and fuel is forced to the back of the tank. The only replacement part (currently part number 20870462, which replaced the old part number of 25947829) is available from a GM dealership and the retail price is $695.

- Cedar Rapids, IA, USA

Jul 142014

Ion 4-cyl

The portion of the fuel lines near the fuel pump, which is hidden by a flexible cover underneath car, was discovered to be severely rusted nearly to the point of leaking, requiring fuel line replacement. In contrast, the portion of the fuel lines exposed underneath car was still in pristine condition. (car has been garaged at night since delivery.) although GM has issued a recall for fuel pump leaks, the problem often is instead the fuel line has rusted through and is leaking. This problem would not be expected, and thus appears to be due to a Saturn design or manufacturing defect. Because of the prevalence and significant safety issue, the service manager expects GM will eventually issue a recall for the fuel line problem. Because the portion of the fuel line subject to severe rusting is hidden behind the flexible cover underneath the car and not the exposed section, it is likely to be noticed only after leaking occurs, resulting in a fire hazard. A recall appears desirable to inspect particularly the hidden portion of the fuel lines near the fuel pump and replace them if needed. Although a manufacturer must provide a remedy to safety-related defect a no cost to the owner, in this instance GM refuses to pay for the fuel line replacement unless the NHTSA compels them to issue a recall.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Feb 202014

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated while driving over a bump approximately 30 mph, a strong odor of gasoline emitted inside of the vehicle. The failure occurred sporadically. There was a recall related to the failure under NHTSA campaign id number 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline). The vehicle was ineligible under the recall due to not originally being registered or currently sold in one of the states mentioned in the recall. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 42,000.

- East Islip, NY, USA

Mar 032014

Ion 4-cyl

Cracked fuel pump housing.

- Taylorsville , UT, USA

Apr 232014

Ion 4-cyl

Car suddenly stops on hill. Meter in car says car is 3/4 full with gas. So the car was not out of gas. Car must have something wrong with the fuel ignition or something for it to stop. Went and put gas in car to just to make sure, and as soon as I did the car started. It makes no sense for the gas gauge to read it has gas and the car stops. Also when car is parked fuel is on the ground leaking. Not sure what is going on but according to a safety recall in 2012 I think that is the problem with my Ion also.

- Wooster, OH, USA

Oct 142013

Ion 4-cyl

I have had trouble with this ignition for years, having to jiggle it to start the car, a key tip broke off from trying to turn it. I also was never contacted about fuel line recall that I had to have repaired and paid for. My engine has also lost power and the engine light has been on for years and they don't know why? I don't feel safe even driving this piece of junk to the dealer.

- Provincetown , MA, USA

Aug 312012

Ion 4-cyl

Noticed fuel leakage while parked in front of home. Immediately took auto to repair shop for check after checking GM website noticed recalls for fuel leakage in several states, va not included. Mechanic said fuel tank was leaking and cracked resulting of removal of tank and fuel pump sending unit replaced at a cost of $609.51.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Feb 262014

Ion 4-cyl

I heard on tv that GM had recalled the Ion because of deaths associated with fires from leaking fuel modules and failing ignition switches. So, I called GM and was told that they will only fix the the ignition if it fails and the fuel module when you can show it is leaking. It seems like if they have a problem with their parts they should try to fix them prior to stalling on the freeway or having the vehicle burst into flames from leaking fuel. Am I off base here?

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Nov 162013

Ion 4-cyl

I was stopped at a red light. The light turned green and I depressed the gas pedal. The car started to move and immediately died. I turned the key in an attempt to restart the car several times; the car engine would turn over but immediately die. I was stranded in the middle of an intersection. I called 911 for help so that I could get out of the intersection and not get hit by oncoming cars. Police responded and moved my car; I then waited for a tow truck, and had car towed. At the repair shop, they diagnosed the problem as a bad fuel pump. Upon replacement of fuel pump, car would not start; according to invoice report, they then removed gas tank and found "no power to fuel pump module" and then "inspected harness" and found "internal open wires at power side" and "need to replace upper fuel pump" as well.

- Cupertino, CA, USA

Jul 202013

Ion 4-cyl

A couple of months ago I started smelling gas fumes coming from my car. The fumes where mainly located in the driver side back tire and inside my vehicle. I finally took this car to the shop and they told me that the filler neck will need to be replaced because my car is leaking gasoline. This car has been nothing but a headache I am ready to trade it in....

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Apr 122013

Ion 4-cyl

I purchased a 2007 Saturn Ion in the fall of 2008. My grandaughter took the car to California and decided to live there. A few months ago she called to tell me that she kept smelling fuel in the car when she drove. She took the car into sears and they told her she needed a new fuel pump. She kept smelling fuel and found out the sears did not repair the car so sears gave her a full refund after she complained. She took the car to a service station and had the fuel line replaced because she was told it could not be repaired....it was cracked. After she had the car repaired I received a notice about the recall for Saturn Ions and the fuel system problem. I had her send me the bill for the repairs. The letter GM sent stated that if we had already made repairs for the fuel problem, they would reimburse. When I go to the GM website now, it states that the 2007 Saturn Ion has not been recalled. I have also tried calling GM with no success. Where do I sent the bill we have" why is GM not acknowledging the recall for the 2007 Saturn Ion for those bought or registered in the state of California?" thank you!

- Ecorse, MI, USA