Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: With the 2007 model year we finally get to bid adieu to a car famous for poor safety marks, a dangerously defective ignition and power steering that would work … sometimes.

2007 Saturn Ion fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Saturn Ion:

2007 Saturn Ion Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Aug 122013

Ion 4-cyl

2 months ago I received a recall letter from GM stating if I smell gas or see a leak bring the car in for repair at no charge. It also stated it was not necessary to bring it in unless I'm experiencing these issues. Sunday afternoon while driving I noticed a strong smell of gas and I thought nothing of it. I have a sensitive nose. Monday I could visibly see gas dripping from the car and the smell was so strong I got sick. I immediately took it to GM dealer. They claim that the parts around the recalled part are broken and not the item recalled itself. They wanted $974 to fix it and would not allow me to drive away as it was dangerous. They also charged me $75 for just looking at it. I don't see how this is a coincidence. I think they are getting away with scamming people. I will never ever buy another GM car! I had the car towed and found another garage to repair it for $450. I see many complaints for the same problem. It should be covered under the recall.

- Brockton, MA, USA

Feb 142012

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that there was an abnormal gasoline odor coming from the vehicle. In addition, the contact was experiencing sporadic startup failures. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where the contact was advised that the fuel pump would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and advised that the contact's VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 09V419000 (fuel system, gasoline:delivery:fuel pump). The failure mileage was 126,000 and the current mileage was 130,000.

- Shrereport , LA, USA

Sep 092011

Ion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact was driving 5 mph when the vehicle stalled. The check engine and power down warning lights illuminated prior to the failure. The vehicle was towed to both a private mechanic and the dealer. The dealer stated that the throttle body sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 56,000 and the current mileage was 57,000. Updated 06/12/12 the consumer stated the throttle body was replaced four times. The check engine light illuminated. Onstar reported a fuel system problem. Updated 06/13/12

- Lyman, SC, USA

Feb 062012

Ion 4-cyl

My 2007 Saturn Ion developed a horrible gas odor and is now leaking/dripping gas. I consider this a serious safety concern with this car considering I see plenty of complaints from consumers with the same issue. I have 2 small children and this is our only means of transportation. I have contacted GMC and have been given the run around for the past 3days and had to speak with a supervisor today. They said this issue was not a recall, then I provided them with recall bulletin of 09226A and they say "oh yea, that's a recall, but its not with us its with NHTSA, we can't do anything". I have only had this car for 2yrs and this is the second time I have had a recall related issue for safety. They had to fix my steering wheel under recall because my power steering went out and there was an issue with my make and model. What kind of cars does GM make that has serious safety recall issues within 2yrs of having the car? they clearly have a gas leaking safety issue with these cars and will not honor what is clearly considered a recall.

- Durham, NC, USA

Jan 132012

Ion 4-cyl

My 2007 Saturn Ion has an over powering smell of gasoline enough to make you sick. I see that there is a recall on this however once again my state of Ohio is not included. This makes no sense. I have read at least 50 other complaints of the same problem GM needs to recall all 2007 Saturn for this problem. I am going to take this to the press as I am highly upset my 17 year old drives this car and this is a major safety concern.

- North Olmsted, OH, USA

Dec 082011

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that fuel was leaking into the muffler abnormally. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic who diagnosed that the fuel pump module fractured and would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in the recall under NHTSA campaign id number: 09V41900 (fuel system, gasoline:delivery:fuel pump). The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 90,376 and the current mileage was 90,890.

- Marionville, MO, USA

Aug 042010

Ion 4-cyl

I would be on my way to work or to the store and then all of the sudden my car lost all power, and would shut its self down. Therefore causing me to have to coast off to the side somewhere with my power steering locked up. Once my car would start running again any where from 10- 20 mins my power steering wouldn't function for the first 2 mins causing me to sit and wait till it kicks in. Not only does this happen, but when I get low on gas and go to fill up, after putting gas in my car it wont start!!!! I have to sit there about 10 mins cranking trying to get it to start up once I do I cant release my foot off the gas for about 3 min or my car dies.

- Huntington, WV, USA

Nov 072011

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that there was an overpowering odor of gasoline in the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for repairs under NHTSA campaign id number: 09V419000 (fuel system, gasoline:delivery:fuel pump). After the repair, the contact continued to notice a strong fuel odor in the vehicle. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing or further repairs. The contact stated there was not a fuel leak. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Ocean Springs, MS, USA

Oct 012011

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that the smell of fuel emitted from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where the mechanic confirmed there was a crack in the fuel module and that the fuel pump needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was contacted and they advised that the vehicle did not qualify for recall repairs under NHTSA campaign id number: 09V419000( fuel system, gasoline:delivery:fuel pump). The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 83,000 and the current mileage was 85,000.

- Wyandotte, MI, USA

Oct 032011

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated the vehicle took a very long time to start and he smelled a strong fuel odor. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic who performed a diagnostic test. The failure was within the fuel pump and the fuel tank was leaking fuel. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 33,450.

- Norfolk , VA, USA

Jul 282011

Ion 4-cyl

Latter part of July, strong gasoline odor noticed around car, thought just because I had just filled up, no leaking on ground noticed. Within a week, stronger smell noticed, visible signs of gas on driveway. Parked car, not driving trying to find source, disappeared. Started driving again, gas mileage off and engine sluggish. Driving daughter from birth of first grandson, passing driver told me something was pouring from under of my car, continued to drive daughter/newborn home, then my home. Contacted mechanic friend, told there was a recall on the fuel module for 2006 Ions, that I should let GM take care of it. I contacted them, gave VIN number, explained what I was told by my mechanic. But since I am in West Virginia, VIN not included. Bought car used July 2010, 19056 miles, cash $10,900. Not told by dealer a possible problem with fuel module, recall had already been issued. Husband has cancer, only used to go to doctor's appointments/chemotherapy. Told by GM to set up appointment with nearest dealership, them diagnose it, maybe they could get an exception because of wv not being listed. Contacted nearest GM dealership, tried to set up appointment telling them problem, stating diagnosis to be paid out of pocket, they would contact someone if it was related to the recall, but in their experience there was never an exception made. Allinclude all Ions with this problem, no matter the state of origin. If there is a problem in one state, seems logical that would be the same problem everywhere, same parts/manufacturers used no matter where made. Luckily, there was no fire with my daughter or newborn grandson inside, or my ill husband. The car remains sitting. We are on a limited income, soc. Sec. Disability, for him, I am not able to work as he has to have constant care. A shame that manufacturer is no longer willing to stand behind their cars.

- Huntington, WV, USA

Aug 182011

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion level 2. the contact stated that the fuel tank was leaking. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic who inspected the failure and found a fractured line at the top of the fuel pump. The vehicle was repaired at the owners expense. The manufacturer was notified and stated that there were no recalls and offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 12,601. Updated 09/27/11 updated 2/23/12

- Springfield, VA, USA

Aug 152011

Ion 4-cyl

Gasoline leaking from under the car. Used dealer ship drive time did not tell me about the recall before they sold me the car, even though they were aware of the recall that had been in place for 4-5 months! I have a child that was with me in the car when the gas started leaking, the car could have caught on fire. Drive time should have told me about the problem, but instead they risked my life and my daughters. They only care about money!! GM is going to try to fix problem, due to recall. Drive time is still trying to charge me my co-pay for having my car looked at, but yet won't cover me with a rental car cause it falls under the manufacture warranty.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Mar 112011

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated there was a strong smell on the outside of the vehicle. The dealer diagnosed that there was a fuel leak and that the fuel module would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer made the contact aware of NHTSA campaign id number: 09V419000 (fuel system, gasoline:delivery:fuel pump) recall, but the VIN was not associated with the recall. The failure mileage was 121,080 and the current mileage was 122,000.

- Front Royal, VA, USA

Jun 072011

Noticeable gas smell around the area of the vehicle's gas tank which became worse while driving. I brought my car into a local service station to have it looked at. Eventually, after removing the fuel tank, they found the cause of the leak to be a faulty fuel pump module. This is a known problem with Saturn Ions and there is a recall in effect (09V419000), but it only applies to vehicles that are sold or registered in certain states. I feel limiting a recall to a certain area is wrong. This is a very serious problem that could have resulted in my vehicle catching fire. I believe that Saturn (GM) should take responsibility for any vehicles that are at risk for this defect and should reimburse the owners for any related repairs. This should not be limited to certain states.

- Waukesha, WI, USA

Jun 252011

Ion 4-cyl

On June 25th 2011 I noticed the smell of gasoline coming from my 2007 Saturn Ion. I noticed the smell is strongest near the rear driver tire very close to the fuel pump module. Knowing already that this is a known issue with 2007 Saturn Ions I contacted them immediately. They told me that mine is not including in any recall and no exception would be made. I will have to try to find a fuel pump module and replace it. Nothing has happened yet but I do have to keep driving the vehicle until the repairs can be made. I feel as though since it is a known problem in these vehicles it should be covered.

- Hillsboro, MO, USA

Apr 012011

I just had to have my fuel pump replaced after only 20K miles on my Saturn Ion 2007 due to the smell of gas and leaking on top of the pump, I was told by a GM dealer that there was a recall on this 09226 fuel odor or spotting on ground-replace fuel pump. My problem is that due to the location I am at Illinois I am not included in this recall to be reimbursed for the replacement of the fuel pump. I read the recall and it is only involving the states that are considered hot. (it does get into the 90S-100 in Illinois also. All somebody had to do was throw/drop a match and it could have ignited a fire in the car. This also caused headaches while driving due to the gas fumes I had to inhale while driving the vehicle. I was hoping this was a good avenue to take and have someone look into why and when Illinois and other states were going to be included in this recall. We are all in the same danger no matter what state you live in.

- O Fallon, IL, USA

Apr 102011

I operate a Saturn Ion which has a constant fuel leak at all times. This is a safety issue and could possibly lead to a fire if an ignition source is nearby. I get a continuous gas smell as soon as I enter the vehicle to drive it to work.

- Hendersonville, TN, USA

Dec 102010

Ion 4-cyl

Saturn ion2 2007-the fuel pump module assembly went out on my car. I have taken it to 3 dealerships to finally get it fixed. However GM stating not covered by my warranty. The first time I took it was in September hard to start diag was done they said nothing wrong. Then in December took to other dealerships by this time there was the smell of gas getting stronger. Both dealerships indicated that GM does not cover my specific VIN# or consider it a defect even though I have it written in my warranty that all parts are to comply with epa which it did not. I am concerned others may also have my defect problem and it could result in serious fire or death. All owners should be notified via recall letter from GM.

- Vero Beach, FL, USA

Aug 282010

Ion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign id number: 09V419000 (fuel system, gasoline: Delivery: Fuel pump) in May 2010. The contact began to notice an unusual gasoline fuel odor following repairs and noticed fuel leaking from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was advised that the epoxy, placed around the fuel filler neck installed during the recall repair, was fracturing and causing the leak. In addition, the fuel tank would also need replacing. The dealer offered to take 10 percent off of the total repair cost. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer advised the contact that his case would be escalated to the district manager and they would contact him. The contact was awaiting a return call. The failure mileage was approximately 52,000 and the current mileage was approximately 52,700. Updated 01/13/11 the consumer stated he performed the repair on the fuel tank that was partially effective. The consumer stated he was not able to afford the $800 repair. The check engine light is still on. The vehicle has a small evaporative emissions control leak. Updated 01/25/11.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA