NHTSA — Air Bags Problems

2007 Saturn Ion (Page 1 of 3)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: With the 2007 model year we finally get to bid adieu to a car famous for poor safety marks, a dangerously defective ignition and power steering that would work … sometimes.

2007 Saturn Ion seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Saturn Ion:

2007 Saturn Ion Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jun 092016

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. In addition, the contact was unable to remove the key from the ignition. The failure started after the vehicle was repaired per NHTSA campaign number: 14V171000 (electrical system). The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be diagnosed, but was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 83,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Oct 152010

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. While driving 35 mph and attempting to avoid a vehicle that was stopped in the roadway, the ignition key became jarred and moved to the off position, which caused the vehicle to stall without warning. The contact attempted to switch lanes; however, the steering wheel seized and the brakes failed to function when the pedal was depressed. The contact stated that the vehicle crashed into the rear of the parked vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. There was no police report filed. The contact sustained injuries to the neck, shoulder, and lower back that required medical attention. The contact stated that the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14E021000 (electrical system); however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was towed to a dealer to be repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 76,000.

- Indiannapolis, IN, USA

Sep 102015

Ion

I have had intermittent issues with my passenger airbag light coming on and off. My vehicle has about 65,000 miles on it and I do not feel safe driving it with passengers. My gas cap light is on and off as well, and now, water is pooling on the floor for no reason after a dealer looked at my car. I have reported my airbag case to GM, as well as to the NHTSA hotline. I feel like airbag issues should be covered in all vehicles, particularly if there is no evidence of a crash. I do not have an airbag on/off switch, so I have no way to turn it on/off. My concern is that it may deploy for no reason, possibly injuring my passengers. All of my issues are on the passenger side of my car. (reported by friend of vehicle owner) no documentation other than case number info given to GM. Specific date just Sept 2015.

- Hickory, NC, USA

Sep 162015

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that the air bags light was constantly illuminated while the vehicle was being driving at various speeds. It was diagnosed that the passenger side air bag was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 67,000.

- Gastonia, NC, USA

Sep 012014

Ion

Within 2 months of having the first recall on the ignition switch repaired the airbag light on the dashboard will illuminate at random times. Some times it will stay on after starting the car and turning off at some point into the drive, or it will illuminate while driving, stay illuminated for a period of time and then shut off. Had the second recall that still impacted the key being able to be removed which required the gear shift to be replaced less than a year after the ignition switch was replaced. Since the second repair the air bag light illuminates more frequently. See many others have had the same issue since have the repairs completed. The air bag light never illuminate prior to recalls being repairs.

- Hackettstown, NJ, USA

Jul 252015

Ion

There is a bosh/cdr report from esis of General Motors outlining the data received from the crash for non-deployment of the airbag. Mr. Segovia of GM stated that the airbag should not have deployed based on the statistic from this report. I do not believe what he has stated. I need a review of the report for compliance regarding the non-deployment of the airbag to my 2007 Saturn Ion. GM through esis has refused to surrender the report to the defected seatbelts. My General Motors pending claim #816261. I have noticed andrew segovia, esq., Ms. Mary T. barra, CEO, Mr. Daniel ammann, president of GM regarding the second half of the claim of the defaulted/recall of the power steering during the crash. Mr. Segovia has confirmed esis's email stating that there was a power steering recall/defect to my car VIN number and remained open. There was the debris on the highway that caused the accident and then there was the defected power steering problem with my 2007 Saturn Ion which caused the crash. I was never notified of this recall by GM. The defaulted power steering caused the crash. In the outset of this claim, General Motors was aware that the power steering of the vehicle was inoperable. I tried to turn the steering wheel so that the vehicle would not crash into the rail guard but failed. I could not steer the vehicle. If I would have been notified of the power steering recall and defect, the car would have been repaired and operable at the time the car crashed. But General Motors defected power steering caused me to have no control of the power steering of the vehicle away from the rail guard so the car would not crash into the rail guard. The power steering was inoperable and as a result caused the crash. I am awaiting a response back from General Motors in the resolution/settlement of this matter as well and other information regarding the loaner vehicle.

- Miami, FL, USA

Aug 112015

Ion

Vehicle was stopped at a traffic light and was struck from behind by another vehicle. This propelled said vehicle into a third vehicle (directly in front of the reference vehicle) also stopped at the traffic light. The resulting collision caused major front end damage to the Saturn Ion in question, crumpling the hood approximately 2 feet toward the rear of the car. In spite of the apparent force of the collision on the front of the vehicle, the air bags did not deploy.

- Joplin, MO, USA

Apr 222010

Ion 4-cyl

S10 direct reply letter requesting assistance with denied compensation from GM ignition compensation claims resolution facility after an automobile accident resulting from a defective ignition switch. 2007 Saturn Ion. The consumer stated an animal ran across the highway. When she hit the brake, the vehicle shut off, the steering locked up and she lost control of the vehicle. Consequently, she ran into a ditch and the air bags did not deploy. The consumer received a letter from GM stating no accident occurred as a result of the ignition switch defect.

- Warren, AR, USA

Dec 152014

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that when starting the vehicle, the power steering warning light illuminated and the power steering failed. The vehicle only had manual steering. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact also mentioned that the air bag warning light intermittently illuminated. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 176,000.

- Picayune, MS, USA

Nov 062014

Ion 4-cyl

Car was parked tried to start would not start with jump. Had towed determined problem with starter. Fixed overnight drove off lot then lost power steering same night just avoided accident. Found out recalls on both total of 8 on this vehicle. Only had since 8/1/2014 never advised of any recalls on vehicle and mccafferty Ford in langhorne, pa did not offer to assist advised its not their responsibility to check recalls. Car can be driven 10-15mins then steering locks up. Have to wait for car to cool down then steering comes back, 10-15 mins same problem. There is also recalls related to air bags.

- Willow Grove, PA, USA

Oct 132014

Ion 4-cyl

I was driving at speed limit from I 75 to rochester road at 7:50 am. All of sudden, I felt steering got very hard to turn and stuck at pointing to right, I tried my best to turn the steering wheel, but no success, car span off the road into the ditch, back of the car ended up on an electric pole. No airbag deployment. No other cars hurt. Someone called 911. I felt ok at the moment. 2 hours later felt dizzy. Based on how odd the steering felt, I think I had experienced a sudden power steering loss. Luckily the car did not hit the pole first, otherwise I could have died.

- West Bloomfield, MI, USA

Jun 102014

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system) and NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Jackson, TN, USA

Aug 012013

Ion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that the airbag sensor lights for both the driver side and passenger side had illuminated indicating that the air bag system was faulty. The contact mentioned that the problem had occurred intermittently. The manufacturer was notified of the failure but no remedy was offered. The failure mileage was 125,000. Updated 11/12/14 updated 01/27/15

- Smyrna, GA, USA

Aug 052014

Ion

After having the recall for the ignition switch problem completed, I began to have the "seatbelt warning" light stay on or "on and off" intermittently. The problem has occurred when starting the vehicle and while driving. At the same time the digital display on the radio began to flicker and become unreadable. I believe this is a serious problem and have seen other complaints for the same problem. My understanding is GM has refused to attribute the problem to the recall work or new ignition switch. I never had this problem until the recall word was done. Investigation is warranted in this case as it could be life threatening. It's not just a coincidence!

- Easton, PA, USA

Aug 112014

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. Shortly after the vehicle was repaired according to NHTSA campaign number: 14E021000 (electrical system: Ignition switch), the air bag indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer who stated that the illumination was not related to the recall repair. The failure mileage was 68,000.

- Moon Township, PA, USA

Mar 152014

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact received NHTSA campaign number 14E021000 (ignition switch). After the vehicle was repaired under the recall the contact stated that he had not experienced these failures until the recall repair was performed. The contact stated that the "air bag" warning lights were illuminated intermittently. The contact stated that the horn blows without being depressed and the doors did not lock when the vehicle was shifted into drive. The failure recurred multiple times. The contact notified the dealer of the failure and was advised that the remedy for the recall did not have anything to do with the failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 87,000....updated 09/19/16

- Pinehill, AL, USA

Apr 172014

Ion

TL * the contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that once the vehicle was started, the ignition and the air bag warning indicator illuminated. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V047000 (air bags, electrical); however, the parts needed for the repair were unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Columbus, OH, USA

May 072014

Ion 4-cyl

Saturn Ion ignition switch has been replaced twice & my car still does the key sticks, doors won't unlock but now after dealer did work the air bags off and misfire #3 cylinder & shifter loose & shifter handle jiggles out of place. Timeline: May 7 2014 ordered ignition switch mark christopher Chevrolet May 18 key stuck ignition doors wouldn't unlock - finally able pull key out but car was still running without key towed to mcc car not safe to drive, May 19 4:35pm received call from service manager stating car is there & part still back ordered. From May 19 2014 until July 27 they had my car. But June 4th stopped by dealership after receiving a parking ticket on my plate #. the dealership told me my car was never towed to them.. following day they called said it was there. I kept calling for updates over next 2 months no one called me back that was because service writer quit & my paperwork car etc was lost again. My car is in worse condition now. I'm perplexed at situation that GM allows dealerships give customer car was allegedly repaired back in worse condition where is the moral compass I really feel unsafe & scared I may cause an accident & hurt some innocent person because of my car not being fixed properly. Mcc has acknowledged car isn't fixed right they backordered shifter because they say that's the new problem stemming from ignition switch recall.... it's been painful and tiring struggle plus my car is worth nothing now $7502 3 months ago kelly blue book.... now they won't even give me $3000 I'm almost ready to give up & just take the loss of money because they don't care about me, you or anyone on the road... having a congressional investigation did nothing but insight the dealerships to become rude & accuse customers of "wanting 10years cars fixed for free" quote from the service manager at mcc. Very condescending & disrespectful.

- Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

Mar 192013

Ion 4-cyl

I experienced sudden loss of control of my 2007 Saturn Ion while traveling at 35-40 mph. I swerved back and forth 3 times before crashing front end into a mountain (rock wall). No driver airbag deployment. No passenger airbag deployment. Complete/total loss of vehicle. No reported injuries.

- Waterbury, VT, USA

Mar 102014

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system) and NHTSA campaign id number: 14V153000 (steering).the contact stated that the repairs exceeded a reasonable amount of time. The dealer stated that parts were not available. The contact did not experience a failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue.

- Huntington, WV, USA