NHTSA — Steering Problems

2007 Saturn Ion (Page 10 of 19)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: With the 2007 model year we finally get to bid adieu to a car famous for poor safety marks, a dangerously defective ignition and power steering that would work … sometimes.

2007 Saturn Ion steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Saturn Ion:

2007 Saturn Ion Owner Comments (Page 10 of 19)

Sep 162011

Ion 4-cyl

My wife was driving the car through town approx. 25-30mph when the dash dinged and showed that there was a problem with the power steering on dash. Car became very hard to turn putting her in potential danger. Once car is turned off and on the problem seems to get reset fro a brief moment.

- Roanoke, IN, USA

Sep 102011

Ion 4-cyl

While traveling on the interstate at 55 miles per hour, an alert displayed on the dash: "pwr str." The wheel jerked and I immediately took the nearest exit. It was very, very difficult to turn the wheel at all around the curve. Since this was the first time this has ever happened to me, I drove slowly and cautiously to the closest auto repair shop. After hooking my car up to their computers, they saw that it was the power steering assist motor that needed to be replaced. I was so grateful that they noticed there was a recall on this part, until I noticed that it said "Canada only." With a little research, this is clearly a common problem with the Ion and it needs to be recalled in the us.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Sep 072011

Ion 4-cyl

Prior to warranty expiry GM repaired bearings on steering rods at no cost. After warranty expiry rattling started on right front sway bar. Independent inspection showed rod end could be rattled by hand when on hoist. Failure appeared imminent. Sway bar connecting bearings were replaced at owner's cost. Could have caused control problems if these pieces of junk were left uncorrected.

- Regina, ND, USA

Sep 042011

Ion

The driver owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated while driving at a low speed, the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was turned off and upon restarting it the steering wheel began to function normally. The failure continued to recur intermittently. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 54,000.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Aug 072011

Ion

Power steering failure on my Saturn Ion 2007. While driving down the freeway the powersteering light came on and failed to engage. It has been disengaging for the last two weeks.

- Woodbury, MN, USA

Aug 182011

Ion 4-cyl

2007 Saturn Ion, bought used 2 months ago. 47K miles. Power steering failed many times while parking car, especially parallel parking. Last week, an audible alarm sounded, and the message read "power steer"or "pwrsteer", cant remember which, and alarmed (dinged) all the way home. Had absolutely no power steering on winding road. Manual states to have repair facility check auto. Steering fluid was full. Next time we started the car to drive it to repair facility, alarm didn't sound and steering seemed fine. Ion was checked for "codes" and none were found on code reader, and tech was unable to duplicate problem. Still have problems with steering when trying to parallel park. No alarm or total loss of power steering again, yet.

- Germantown, MD, USA

Aug 202011

Ion 4-cyl

My power steering just fails on me while driving. It is very dangerous and I cant believe nothing is being done about this. I called Saturn and there is a special warr. If you have less then 100,000 miles. I have 112,000 so I have to pay for it. I don't see why when all these people are reporting the same problem.

- Sylmar, CA, USA

Aug 182011

Ion

I have a 2007 Saturn Ion. Today I was simply driving down the street, a chime in my car went off and it displayed "pwr str", and I no longer had power steering. Luckily I was already pulling into a parking lot so I was going slow. This *must* be recalled!!!

- Anna, IL, USA

Aug 082011

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated the power steering lamp illuminated immediately after the power steering failed. The steering wheel was difficult to control and he was unable continue driving the vehicle. He was only able to turn the vehicle off after the power steering reset. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 168,000. Updated 02/15/12 the consumer also stated it took several attempts to remove the key from the ignition. Updated 02/22/12.

- Hurst, TX, USA

Jul 152011

Ion

Power steering failure on Saturn Ion 2007 when outside temps reach high the 90's and triple digits. Took vehicle in to local GM dealer and was informed there is no fix for the problem.

- Heanre, TX, USA

Jul 242011

Ion 4-cyl

My Saturn Ion red line is having problems with the power steering. The power steering light comes on and then the power steering is not working. If I cut the car off for 1 minute and start it again, the light goes off. At times you can drive it about 40 miles before it goes out and sometimes only 4 miles.

- Swansea, SC, USA

Jul 202011

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the steering wheel suddenly locked with the illumination of the power steering warning indicator. The vehicle became difficult to steer and was maneuvered to the side of the road. The engine was turned off and restarted after waiting fifteen minutes. Upon restart, the vehicle resumed as normal. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 29,806.

- Fort Myers , FL, USA

Jul 172011

Ion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph the power steering failed. The vehicle was shut off, and upon restart the vehicle operated as normal. The failure recurred approximately three times on the drive home. The vehicle was not taken to have the failure diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 40,349. Updated 09/07/2011

- Miami, FL, USA

Jun 182011

Ion 4-cyl

Power steering quits working at random times, sometimes when making turns and is difficult to control, particularly at speeds below 30 mph. I contacted the GM dealer that represents Saturn but was told since the car has 115,014 miles on it the vehicle did not qualify for a free replacement from GM. This is a very unsafe condition.

- Skellytown , TX, USA

Jun 012011

Ion 4-cyl

The electronic power steering motor intermittently fails on my 2007 Saturn Ion. After doing much research this seems to be happening to quite a few people, and there is no recall on it. An incident has not occurred at this time, but very likely can if my power steering goes while making a tight turn at high speeds.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Jun 252011

Ion

Electric steering went out in the middle of a turn and I came very close to going into a very steep ditch as the steering wheel was so hard in turning. Thank goodness I was not hurt, if anyone less strong than I was driving they would most certainly be in the 8 foot steep ditch...

- Cedar Park, TX, USA

Jun 122011

Ion 4-cyl

While negotiating a left turn the power steering went out almost causing my wife to hit the oncoming car headon.

- Pulaski, NY, USA

Oct 102010

Ion 4-cyl

I was driving my 2007 Saturn Ion last October and the electric power steering suddenly went out. I would have to restart the car and drive for maybe 5 to 10 minutes at a time until it failed again. I brought it to a GM dealership and they told me the motor was out and would cost approximately 400 dollars to fix. I purchased the 110 dollar motor from them and installed it myself. Problem fixed but since it was a recall on other vehicles with the same system I feel myself and other owners left out should be reimbursed for repairs I still have my receipt for the part.

- Hillsboro, MO, USA

Jun 202011

Ion 4-cyl

I have a 2007 Saturn Ion and was driving home on Monday, June 20, 2011 at around 7:30pm when my car notified me that the pwr str (power steering) was having issues and my steering wheel locked. I was able to drive it home because it was just a straight drive and didn't have to make any turns. I got home and turned off the vehicle and restarted it and fixed the problem. The following day, Tuesday, June 21, 2011 same thing happened. I was driving home at around 7:15 the message came on and my steering wheel stiffened. Again I was able to make it home and turned off the vehicle and restarted and worked fine. I have now scheduled an appointment at my local service repair shop for my vehicle to be checked over/fixed on Thursday, June 23, 2011.

- Berryville, VA, USA

May 292011

Ion

The power steering in my 2007 Saturn Ion 2 goes out intermittently and makes the car very hard to steer, presenting a safety hazard if occurring in heavy traffic. GM currently has a recall out for Chevy cobalts and needs to include Saturn as they were made with the same components.

- Guyton, GA, USA