NHTSA — Steering Problems

2007 Saturn Ion (Page 13 of 19)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: With the 2007 model year we finally get to bid adieu to a car famous for poor safety marks, a dangerously defective ignition and power steering that would work … sometimes.

2007 Saturn Ion steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Saturn Ion:

2007 Saturn Ion Owner Comments (Page 13 of 19)

Aug 302010

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 10 mph, the vehicle suddenly lost power steering. There was a power steering light that illuminated during the failure. She noticed that it was extremely difficult to turn into a parking space as a result. The contact turned off the vehicle and restarted it. When she restarted it, the failure seemed to have corrected itself. The vehicle had not been inspected or repaired at the time of the complaint. The current mileage was approximately 36,500. The failure mileage was approximately 36,000.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jun 192010

Ion

My power steering in my Saturn Ion went out when I was driving about 55 mph. When trying to get off the highway, I had no power steering at all and hit a guard rail. I turned the car off and restarted it after collecting myself. The powere steering worked just fine. The following day the same thing happened, was running fine then, no power steering again. This time it never came back. I have seen many recalls for GM cars that have the same power steering system. Why not for the Saturn. It is just an accident waiting to happen. I have been researching this on line and have found many others with the same issue that have a Saturn. Sounds like a defective part to me!

- Canandaigua, NY, USA

Aug 042010

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. While driving 55 mph, the power steering light illuminated and less then a minute later the power steering wheel locked. The wheel was very difficult to turn and the contact was able to drive onto the emergency lane. When the vehicle was turned off and then back on it began to drive normally. The dealers diagnostic test indicated that she needed a power steering motor. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 112000.

- Plainview, TX, USA

Aug 032010

Ion 4-cyl

Power steering motor fails on my Saturn Ion 2007 daily. Car must be restarted for the motor to begin working again. Very unsafe for driving!

- Arlington, TX, USA

Jul 302010

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. While traveling at 35 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated and the vehicle then loss steering capabilities. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic where the contact was informed that the power steering motor would need to be replaced. There were no prior warnings and the vehicle was not repaired. The current and failure mileages were 38,000.

- Owenton, KY, USA

Jun 142010

Ion 4-cyl

Every time I drive my 2007 Saturn Ion the power steering lights comes on and my power steering goes out. Turning the car off and on resets it but it goes out again.

- Holly Hill , FL, USA

Jun 052010

Ion

I have a 2007 Saturn Ion. It has worked fine up until about a month and a half ago (today's date is July 27, 2010). We were driving on a normal day, no excessive heat or cold, and the power steering just went out. It completely stopped without warning, without apparent cause. We were on a highway around cars driving heavy speeds, so we had to pull off quickly. After stopping and starting the car, it seemed to be back to normal. We thought it was just a fluke. But then it happened about a week later, and it continues to happen more frequently. For instance, the power steering stopped about 20 yards from my front door yesterday, and during a fifteen minute trip, it went out three times. Giving in to the fact that the problem was getting much worse very quickly, I checked on the extended warranty that I had bought when I purchased my car. It covered all electrical problems, as I had remembered, but upon further review, I realized that power steering was listed completely separately, and in fact, was not covered. At that point I decided to do some research to see how common this problem was in Saturn Ion's, and I have found that the problem is not only occurring in 2004-2007 Ion's, but had also occurred in other GM vehicles. The difference being, that those other vehicles of similar make but different brands have been recalled, but Saturn has not. I have read multiple instances of people's lives almost being lost due to accidents in which the steering stopped and sent people into head-on traffic (much like it did with my family), and yet GM refuses to recall these vehicles. I wish someone would answer everyone's question of whether it is going to take the death of a person or a family in a crash due to power steering failure to make someone pay attention to this problem?

- Pittsburg, KS, USA

May 152010

Ion

2007 Saturn Ion. The key was turning funny in the ignition. I thought the key had bent or something. A couple days later the key will not turn in the off position. The car will not turn off. We had to take apart the steering column to pull the fuse. The car remains in this condition because I am told it will cost close to $500 to fix. I google this and there are numerous websites filled with this same complaint. GM has wiped their hands of the Saturn. I feel this is a manufacturers defect and should be repaired at no cost to Saturn owners.

- Barto, PA, USA

Jul 242010

Ion

2007 Saturn Ion electric power steering fails unexpectedly. Very difficult to steer at low speeds. Have checked fuses, connections, and wiring. All appears normal. Usually occurs at low speed in a turn.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Apr 042010

Ion

I was driving down the interstate in April 2010 when my power steering went out on my 2007 Saturn Ion 3 causing me to almost be in an accident. I pulled over to the side of the road and turned the car off then back on and the power steering acted fine. Took it to the dealership only to find out this is a "known problem" and they fixed it. Then in July, 3 months later, I had a very strong odor of gasoline and was having problems starting the car. I took it to the dealership where I was again told this was a "known problem" and they fixed the gas pump. Now, I have terrible gas mileage and am being offered no assistance.

- St Louis, MO, USA

Jul 142010

Ion 4-cyl

2007 Saturn Ion power steering motor needed replacement after only 49,000 miles. When driving the power steering suddenly stopped working.

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Aug 112009

Ion 4-cyl

The power steering system goes out each time after driving 1 or 2 miles.

- El Segundo, CA, USA

Feb 122010

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. While driving approximately 65 mph the power steering light illuminated on the dashboard and the power steering failed. The vehicle became very difficult to control. The contact was able to drive onto the emergency lane and shut the vehicle off. Upon restarting the vehicle it began to function normally. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed that this was a known failure and he would be responsible for the repairs. The vehicle was not repaired and the failure continued to occur. The failure became progressively worse over time. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the air conditioning unit stopped blowing cold air and the temperature gauge stopped functioning. The vehicle was not diagnosed for the cause of failure. The failure continued to occur intermittently. The failure mileage was 47,000 and the current mileage was 62,689.

- Kernersville, NC, USA

Jul 202010

Ion

I was driving home from work which is a 10 mile commute. During the commute, there is a 900 foot mountain with a slight grade and I was descending the hill when on the information display, it stated that there was a power steering problem and when I went into a turn, the steering was extremely difficult. I pulled over, turned the vehicle off and turned it back on, and everything was working fine.

- Hampton Cove, AL, USA

Jul 162010

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. While driving 40 mph the contact noticed that the power steering light appeared on the dashboard and within a few seconds, the power steering stopped functioning. The failure was not diagnosed and there were no prior warnings. The current and failure mileages were 46000.

- Willingboro, NJ, USA

Jul 172010

Ion 4-cyl

My 2007 Saturn Ion lost power steering on the highway, I found out it has electric power steering. I was able to get it off the road safely, but this could have been a serious issue. It is intermittent but I believe it should be a recall issue as many owners I found online complain of same issue. My local dealer as seen many vehicles come in for the same problem. Had it been raining or a stop fast situation I would have had no turning control.

- Middletown, PA, USA

May 022010

Ion 4-cyl

Saturn Ion 2007 electric power steering is defective after just 37,000 miles on car. The power assist fails anytime while driving down the road. This car uses the same type steering module as the recalled Chevy cobalt and Pontiac G5S. I do not understand why GM fails to acknowledge the issue on the Saturn Ion.

- Palm Bay, FL, USA

Feb 012010

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The vehicle began to shake when the power steering failed; however, when the power steering warning light illuminated the steering wheel does not shake. The manufacturer was contacted, but didn't offer any assistance with the repair. The VIN was not available. The vehicle will be repaired. The failure mileage was 72,000 and the current mileage was 78,000.

- Eagan, MN, USA

Jul 192010

Ion

Saturn 2007 Ion pwr str warning will come on. The power steering will quit. If I turn off the car then turn it back on the car is fine again.

- Warren, OH, USA

Jun 072010

Ion

Unfortunately I have a 2007 Saturn Ion which sounds like it is going to break in half over even the slightest small bumps in the road. I have a warranty on the vehicle which expired in June 2010. Although the car only has 29000 miles on it~ Saturn would not honor the warranty when I brought my car in for a check engine light~ it was the purge sensor. They wanted to charge me over $300 to repair this issue. I went online and saw many other's had reported the same problem. I also saw the part for only $26 ~however at the Saturn dealership they charged me $51 for the part. I ended up fixing the repair myself to avoid being robbed by the Saturn dealership!! I am very displeased with my car~ now the struts and control arm bushings are making significant rumble when driving over the slightest bumps in the road. At 29000 miles the car should not be making any noise!! I feel very unsafe and scared in my Saturn!! I've seen many reports of other owner's with the same vehicle that are similar. Even the GM cobalt which has the exact same platform and steering has the same issues and for that car power steering issues have been recalled but not for the Ion which ~I repeat has the same components. I bought my car when fuel costs soared and thought it would at least last me 5 years with out issues. I think GM needs to address these issues especially since so many consumers are experiencing issues at such low mileage. There are also issues with the rear defrost, power windows, steering, and transmission. I'm from mn. And it's terrible when you have a newer car that won't even take you 30,000 miles without breaking down!! I'm very disappointed and Saturn needs to recall everything on these unsafe vehicles before someone gets seriously hurt ~like Toyota. I'm sure you've had several complaints. The car is defective!! please help!! Saturn won't repair unless it's completely broken even if the car is smokin they blow you off!!! ~horrible!!!

- Minneapolis, MN, USA