NHTSA — Steering Problems

2007 Saturn Ion (Page 12 of 19)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: With the 2007 model year we finally get to bid adieu to a car famous for poor safety marks, a dangerously defective ignition and power steering that would work … sometimes.

2007 Saturn Ion steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Saturn Ion:

2007 Saturn Ion Owner Comments (Page 12 of 19)

Jun 102010

Ion 4-cyl

This is not a complaint, it is information for 2007 Saturn Ion owners. There has been a warranty extention added for the defective power steering. Saturn will not notify you about this. You need to take car to dealer. It will be repaired at no charge.

- Palm Bay, FL, USA

Jan 072011

Ion 4-cyl

Power steering failure - my best description - electric power steering clicks as though a relay is preventing an over volt or power surge, and then the electric power steering has failed making steering more difficult at all speeds, specially slow speeds - dial on dash says "pwr str" stated happening on 1/7/2011 and now happens every time I start the car about 30 seconds after running.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Sep 202010

Ion 4-cyl

While backing out of my driveway a pwr steering warning flashed and suddenly I was without power steering and had to steer manually without power assist. I turned off my 2007 Saturn Ion and then turned it back on and the power steering returned to normal. A couple of months later I was returning home from work on the highway during rush hour and the same thing happened again. Fortunately I am strong and was able to steer the car safely off the highway in order to turn off the car and turn it back on again. Steering the vehicle took considerable strength. Both times when this happened there was no warning. I could only imagine what could have happened to someone who is not very strong. I could see where a person could completely lose control of their vehicle. A couple of months later I received a recall letter from GM informing me of the problem and directing me to the nearest dealer to have the power steering replaced. The bottom line is that I was lucky not to be injured because I had the strength to steer the car manually. To suddenly be without power steering without warning is an extremely dangerous situation that could be potentially fatal at highway speeds. I have been driving for 35 years and this is the most serious automotive defect I have encountered. It seemed the recall letter was too little too late.

- Garner, NC, USA

Dec 012010

Ion 4-cyl

The power steering goes out randomly on my 2007 Saturn Ion almost causing 2 severe accidents. Once the car is restarted power steering is fine and who knows when it just goes out causing steering to be quite difficult especially depending on who is driving the car and when it goes out!!! completely unsafe. Is this covered anywhere to get fixed?

- Lancaster, OH, USA

Dec 292010

Ion 4-cyl

Power steering goes out on 2007 Saturn Ion.

- Denver, CO, USA

Nov 222010

Ion

This car is experiencing the same issue that GM has issued a recall for. The electronic power steering motor is failing and the pwr strng warning light comes on. The steering is very difficult (two hands absolutely necessary) for a strong driver during slow sharp turns. A potential collision is highly likely. Other complaints are on the web with many people avoiding driving the vehicle at all due to the inability to predict occurrences and the immediate effect the loss of power has. How can two models with the same equipment be recalled (cobalt and G5) and not the Saturn Ion?

- Tijeras, NM, USA

Dec 222010

Ion

Power seering indicator came on in the display (not the low fluid warning light) and power steering was no longer available. After turning off and restarting the vehicle, the power steering functionality returns for a variable length of time. This has happened multiple times now with the time between incidents ranging from 5 minutes to several hours. This has happened with speeds ranging from 25 to 75 mph.

- Westminster, CO, USA

Nov 282010

Ion 4-cyl

I purchased a 2007 Saturn Ion in August 2007. Approx 1-2 months after purchase, my power steering went out almost resulting in a crash with another vehicle. I took my car to the Saturn dealership where I purchased it, and they promptly fixed the problem; so I thought. Nov 28, 2010 I was driving on the eisenhower expressway and my power steering went out again. Because it was early Sunday after thanksgiving there wasn't much traffic. But this incident could have turned tragic. I request that investigation be made into the 2007 Saturn Ion. Even though GM closed this product line (wish I would've knew their plan before my purchase), I would like to think that they would investigate this single incident, as there could be many other consumers with the same experience. Not to mention the potential legal ramifications if it is found that the Ions are defective. If I just got a lemon car...then so be it.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Nov 282010

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. While driving approximately 25 mph, the steering wheel became stiff and the power steering light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the contact's residence and parked. The next time the vehicle was started, the power steering functioned normally. The vehicle had not been inspected or repaired. The current and failure mileages were 112,700.

- Davenport, FL, USA

Nov 122010

Ion 4-cyl

The key gets stuck in the ignition while trying to turn the car on and off. Finally the key is stuck in the on position and the vehicle cannot be turned off. After several attempts, the key comes out while the car is still running and in the on position and the car is not in park. After several repairs, the ignition housing continues to fail. The car can easily roll off as the key comes out and the vehicle is not in park, the key even comes out while the car is driving or in drive. The only way to shut the car off is to manually remove the wire harness from the battery located under the steering column.

- High Point, NC, USA

Oct 122010

Ion 4-cyl

1. driving normally on surface streets 2. power steering failed; very difficult to steer. Turning car off and then back on made power steering work for a few minutes, but failed again.

- Cupertino, CA, USA

Oct 082010

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. While driving approximately 50 mph, the power steering light illuminated and the steering wheel became stiff. The contact pulled over and turned the vehicle off. Upon restart, the power steering was functional. The vehicle had not been examined or repaired. The failure occurred intermittently and was becoming progressively worse. The current and failure mileages were approximately 115,000.

- Clermont, FL, USA

Mar 012010

Ion 4-cyl

Power steering goes off on it's own while driving my 2007 Saturn Ion. Use to occur few times a week now happens almost everytime while driving. When the car is turned off than turned back on the power steering returns to normal for a few miles till it goes off again. Thought I had seen a recall on searching online but when I called GM dealership (Saturn's out of business) they claimed there has never been a recall on Saturn Ion 2007 for power steering. Have seen online other customers with same problem and considering car only 3yrs old and only 47,000 miles and that it goes away when car turned off and back on that it might be some kind of computer error or something. Every difficult to steer when it does go off and dealership wants $125 for diagnostic & up to $600 to correct error.

- Round Rock, TX, USA

Sep 292010

Ion 4-cyl

My 2007 Saturn Ion's power steering has begun to shut itself off at random times while driving and it can be very dangerous since the few times it has I have either been on the interstate or driving on winding roads without the ability to easily turn. Also, the key locks up in the ignition and I have to turn it on, move the vehicle and turn it off again for it to allow me to fully turn off and pull out the key. Also the wheel bearing have begun to make a loud squeaking noise.

- Robinson, TX, USA

Sep 232010

Ion

I was driving and all of a sudden my power steering quit working. I was able to pull into a store, and shut off my car. I started it back up and it worked fine for a couple of weeks, but it just happened again.

- Searcy, AR, USA

Sep 172010

Ion

My power steering keeps going out while driving. If I turn the car off it resets itself but it usually happens 3 to 4 times a day.

- Bandon, OR, USA

Sep 102010

Ion

After starting the car and driving for a few minutes the power steering gets really hard to steer, and the power steering light turns on in the instrument panel. If the vehicle is turned off then turn on the power steering works but after another few minutes the steering gets hard again. This occurs everyday. I have not replaced nothing to fix this problem yet. I was hoping to find a recall on my vehicle. I have researched online and it seems that many Saturn Ion's have this same problem. This makes for dangerous driving especially when making a turn and suddenly the power steering stops working.

- Kyle, TX, USA

Aug 152010

Ion

I have had trouble with wheel locking and trouble turning. I also was told by Firestone that I need to have my steering intermediate shaft replaced. This should be recalled because it is manufacturer's fault. I should not have to pay for this on a 2007 Saturn Ion. The mechanic also told me several cars have come in with same problem. I called Saturn and Chevrolet dealers to ask about recalls and was informed that other models for Saturn have been recalled for power steering problems but not the Ion and it is same problem. This is a major safety issue.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 082007

Ion 4-cyl

The power steering fails randomly without warning on my 2007 Saturn Ion. It failed 3 times today. It would reset if you restart the car, but the steering becomes so tight that.

- Lehighton, PA, USA

Jul 272010

Ion

Traveling eastbound on I-94, mile marker 41. Loss of steering control. Vehicle crash.

- Battle Creek, MI, USA