NHTSA — Steering Problems

2007 Saturn Ion (Page 4 of 19)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: With the 2007 model year we finally get to bid adieu to a car famous for poor safety marks, a dangerously defective ignition and power steering that would work … sometimes.

2007 Saturn Ion steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Saturn Ion:

2007 Saturn Ion Owner Comments (Page 4 of 19)

Nov 292013

Ion 4-cyl

In December, 2012 we purchased a 2007 Saturn Ion from a local dealer. Shortly after purchase we had issues with the electrical system and the ignition key which we contacted the dealer about and were reassured that it was no cause for concern, subsequently we allowed my significant other's daughter to take the vehicle to college with her as she needed a form of transportation at school. On black Friday, 2013 she encountered a minor motor vehicle accident in a parking lot where it is my understanding the vehicle shut off. I have contacted General Motors and requested a courtesy vehicle for her which they had agreed to provide through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's web site and they state one excuse after another why they cannot do this. General Motors has exhibited a complete lack of any concern for the driver's safety and they are now at the point where they want my significant other to drive 500 miles across state pick up her vehicle, take it to a dealer and pick up a rental car, which will cost her a $50 deposit and when the repair, which is a manufacturers defect, is finally completed she should do this all over again without any compensation from GM. This is totally unacceptable and in complete conflict with what GM has told the NHTSA they would do. At this point in time, I respectfully request NHTSA investigate this matter and propose an agreeable resolution.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Jun 222010

Ion 4-cyl

After my day of driving I pulled into my driveway at my home and put my car into the park gear and continued to remove my key--the key would not turn to off position. It had locked into place. I had to call my husband to come home and help me. He too tried. It would not turn to the off position. The only way we got the car to turn off the engine was to disconnect the battery cables. The key stayed in the on position. I had to contact the GM dealer the next morning -- I had to have my car towed to the dealership in frederick, Maryland. I was repaired and I was charged a total of $512.36 I received a recall letter today March 14, 2014 stating there is a recall 14063 the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration campaign id number for this recall is 14V-047 since this has already affected my car and I have paid I am requesting reimbursement.

- Boonsboro, MD, USA

Mar 012010

Ion

The power cuts off when hitting a bump/jarring and car loses all automatic features--power steering, power brakes. Especially likely with heavy key chain. Has happened multiple times since I purchased the vehicle in 2009, but more in past two years. Occurs when pulling into driveways of stores, hitting pothole, etc. This is the Saturn "sister" car to the Chevy cobalt ss and of same year at that recent recall.

- Caro, MI, USA

Feb 132013

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the power steering assist failed with the illumination of the warning indicator. The vehicle was driven to an authorized dealer, who replaced the power steering motor kit, a blown fuse, the harness connectors and the power connector however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was not further repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 89,000.

- South Hampton, NJ, USA

Apr 032011

Ion 4-cyl

I was driving down the road the engine cut out power steering went off, electricity went out. My car kept doing this until I only drive with one key in the ignition. I am worried it sounds similar to recently recalled 2005-2007 cobalts ignition.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Dec 092013

Ion 4-cyl

Luckily the first incident occurred when I was driving on a fairly straight state route. The car's alert system dinged then displayed and error of "pwrsteer". I could, at speed, feel that the power steering was gone. I made it home and turned off the car. When I started the car to go out later the power steering was working for about 3 miles, then the car's alert system dinged and the pwrsteer message was displayed again. It has been approximately 30 hours since the 1st incident and every time I start the car I have power steering but the power steering goes out within 10 - 15 minutes of any drive.

- Defiance, OH, USA

Nov 272013

Ion

My wife and I were traveling to see family for thanksgiving. About 100 miles into the trip the power steering indicator came on the dash and a beep sounded. I was traveling on a interstate highway in va going about 70 mph. I was still able to maintain control of the vehicle but was concerned. I was traveling with my son, pregnant wife, and grandmother. I am glad the issue happened while I was driving as my wife or grandmother might not have been able to control the vehicle as well traveling at high speeds. I searched online and this appears to be something people have been dealing with for many years. Even if a full recall is not done. I believe the automaker should be responsible for fixing those vehicle that have reported this issue. Our Saturn Ion is a 2007 and was bought used in 2009. There was no issue with the steering until November of 2013.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Nov 012013

Ion

My power steering quit working.

- Fairmont, WV, USA

Oct 102012

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, there was a complete loss of power steering with the illumination of the warning indicator as the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact applied force to the steering wheel in order to maneuver the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who stated that the failure was contributed to the power steering column. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 68,000.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Aug 092013

Ion 4-cyl

Electronic power steering failed while driving resulting in very difficult steering of the vehicle. After turning vehicle off the back on the power steering started working. Power steering has failed again and did again start working after turning vehicle off.

- Iowa City, IA, USA

Aug 172013

Ion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the steering warning light illuminated as the steering became difficult to maneuver. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 64,570.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Aug 022013

Ion 4-cyl

While driving the vehicle the power steering light came on and the power steering went out. When the car is turned off and restarted the light goes out and the power steering comes back on for a period of time, sometimes minutes, sometimes days. The power steering eventually goes out again at random intervals.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Aug 112013

Ion 4-cyl

I had just made a left turn into a parking lot when chimes and the message "pwr str" appeared on the display. The steering wheel then felt like it locked and was extremely difficult to turn. I pulled into an empty parking space, turned off the car, and waited for 5 minutes before starting the car. Once I restarted the car, I reversed and was able to turn the steering wheel as normal. I drove about a mile back to my house and the chime nor message appeared again. I'm afraid that it will happen again so I'm taking my car to a GM dealership first thing in the morning. I was lucky that traffic was light and I was going very slow.

- Las Cruces, NM, USA

Aug 032013

Ion 4-cyl

I was driving down the highway and the warning console indicated that I had a power steering problem. The power steering suddenly gave out. It reset itself when I stopped and turned the car off and started it back up. The power steering worked for a couple more miles going down the highway then gave out again.

- Waco, TX, USA

Aug 012013

Ion 4-cyl

Was driving over a bridge going 55mph and my power steering went on my vehicle almost causing an accident with no where to get off the road, it then continue to happen on the rest of my trip.

- Springfield, PA, USA

Ion

Was driving on I-40 heading home one night from work and the power steering alert came on. The wheel became extremely difficult to turn and control my car. I pulled over and turned the car off and all was right for about 10 mins and it happened again. Since then I have no power steering in my car because there is no recall for this problem and I cannot afford to pay an outrageous amount of money to have it repaired. This needs to be addressed and recalled for the safety of the owners and other drivers on the road. Thank you for your time.

- Knightdale, NC, USA

Jul 262013

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that after having the electronic steering column replaced, the steering system started clicking as the power steering warning light illuminated. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph the power steering system malfunctioned. The contact took the vehicle back to the dealer for a diagnostic test. The test results showed a defect in the steering column. The contact did not have the steering column replaced. The contact did not call the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 129,744.

- Stow, OH, USA

Jul 172013

Ion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated as the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. After the contact shut the engine off and restarted, the vehicle resumed normal steering function. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 115,000.

- Farmington, MN, USA

Ion 4-cyl

The power steering light came on and the power steering went out while on a busy freeway. Very scary and could have caused an accident because it was very hard to steer. After shutting off the car and restarting a few minutes later, the problem was gone but has since happened two times. I now know that this is a common problem with this car and feel GM should fix this at no charge as this is very expensive and is dangerous.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Ion 4-cyl

The power steering light pops on while I'm driving. When the car is turned off and then back on there is no power steering light but will pop back on later during my drive. Extremely hard on the driver.

- Carter Lake, IA, USA