Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Beware of the NHTSA complaint data for the 2003 Camry. It is almost certainly misleading.

The problem with NHTSA data for the 2003 Camry is that for months on end, the news media repeatedly told the public that several Toyota models had an unintended acceleration defect, & to go to (the NHTSA's website) to file a complaint.

So, the NHTSA received a disproportionate number of complaints about Toyota unintended acceleration issues because of the national news media attention, to the point where their data is unreliable taken in context with any other vehicle that did not receive national news attention. typically receives more complaints per day about vehicles than the NHTSA does, but the news media did not repeatedly say "go to to report your Camry acceleration problems" like they did about the NHTSA -- so although we have less complaint data than the NHTSA for the 2003 Camry, our data for the Camry is a far more statistically accurate representation of the Camry's reliability than what the NHTSA data shows.

2003 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Toyota Camry:

2003 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 12)

Jun 302016

The contact owned a 2003 Toyota Camry. While driving 5 mph, the vehicle independently accelerated. As a result of the acceleration, the contact's vehicle rear ended another vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. There were no injuries and a police report was not filed. The vehicle was able to be driven after the crash, but was later towed to an independent mechanic where it was deemed destroyed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000.

- Burke, VA, USA

Apr 132016

Camry 4-cyl

To whom it may concern: My 2003 Toyota Camry makes a rattle noise from the engine area and it's most noticeable during idle or light acceleration. My car has only 35,000 miles inspite of it being 13 years old. Clearly, Toyota acknowledge that it had a problem with the manifold but since my car is more than 6 years old, Toyota would not cover it but my car has only 35,000 miles and this problem did not show up until now. Hopefully, your office can help me with this matter. Thank you so much

- Portsmouth, VA, USA

Oct 072015

I felt a click under hood around area of driver side as I backed out out of a parking space at the bank. I drove forward across the street into another parking lot, turned my wheel right to pull into parking place and the accelerator increased sending me up a curb into a brick wall. With foot on brake, I had to put car into neutral and park to turn off before acceleration stopped. My entire front end was smashed(have photos of car and tire marks on cement). I started car back up and it reversed fine. No mats under pedal and no slipping foot to gas pedal. Car has 60,000 miles and was impeccable.

- Independence, OH, USA

Sep 062015

I was nearly finished parking my car when the car sped up, went over a concrete curb stop, hit and knocked over a sign post. I recall the engine revving when this happened. I stomped on the brake pedal and that stopped the car. This is the first time this has happened in the 12 years I've owned the vehicle but it was scary.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jun 032015

I too have been noticing a surge when I back up and turn the vehicle and step on the gas to drive out. I have avoided crashes with cars near by, I have found that I have to keep the speed on low and out of drive to avoid hitting a car near my parked car. I am not sure of the mileage above as I am just backing out of a parking space and turning my car to drive, I make sure it is on low.

- Derry, NH, USA

Apr 172015

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Camry. While making a left turn at an unknown speed, the engine revved and the vehicle independently lunged forward. The contact depressed the brake pedal to avoid a collision. The dealer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 25,000.

- Owasso, OK, USA

Jun 022014

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while at a red light, the vehicle suddenly accelerated independently without warning. As a result, the contact crashed into the vehicle in front. A police report was filed. The contact did not specified if any injuries were sustained. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure was unable to be duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 95,000. Updated 4/20/15

- Bossier City , LA, USA

Mar 172015

Camry 4-cyl

I was pulling into a parking spot at a local dry cleaners. As I was pulling into a parking spot, the vehicle suddenly surged rapidly forward going over a concrete barrier and hit a concrete wall. Unintended sudden acceleration.

- Garland, TX, USA

Aug 062013

Driving with the cruise control set to approximately 45 mph. Cars ahead were stopping, so the cruise control cancel button was pressed. Instead of the car decelerating, it quickly accelerated as if the gas pedal had been pressed to the floor. The brakes were quickly pressed, but before the car came to a stop, it hit the rear end of the car ahead. The person in the other car had a precautionary medical exam a few days later, but no injury was reported. The driver and passenger of the Camry were not injured and air bags were not deployed. The Camry was declared totaled by the insurance company. The other car was repaired.

- Springfield, MO, USA

Oct 172014

Camry 6-cyl

I experienced unintended acceleration of my vehicle while driving slowly in a parking lot. The vehicle accelerated to a high speed and revved to very high RPM's. I managed to slam on the brakes and finally shift the controls to neutral. The car immediately returned to normal RPM's and I turned off the key. Toyota first claimed "driver error", then entrapment of the gas petal by a floor mat, then "driver error" again, alleging I had "braked incorrectly and must have hit the gas by mistake"!! I was simply low-speed driving with my foot on the gas, when their car raced suddenly on its own Accord. I had not hit the brakes until I had to emergency-stop a runaway car! dealer says they "checked the computer" and there are "no issues" to resolve! this is a blatant, lethal defect in their product!

- Lincoln, CA, USA

Aug 202014

As we were driving on the highway the check engine light, lit up and the car started making odd noises when the acceleration pedal was pressed, we quickly pulled over to the shoulder of the highway. When we opened the front the engine and coolant were smoking. There was no indication before this that anything was wrong, apparently the oil had been leaking and the engine had overheated, even though the car gave no indication of this.

- Willingboro, NJ, USA

Apr 012014

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while at a stop light, the vehicle exhibited abnormal and unintended acceleration, crashing into the rear of a second vehicle. No police report was taken. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified and no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 53,000.

- Hunnington Beach, CA, USA

Jan 092014

Camry 6-cyl

2003 Toyota Camry. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle sudden acceleration. The consumer stated as she was driving into a covered parking garage, retrieved her parking ticket and proceeded up the ramp, the engine suddenly revved to a speed she could not control. She tried to pump the brakes, but to no avail. She hit a parked truck and that stopped the vehicle, moving the truck approximately 6-8 feet. The consumer stated it was practically a front end collision and the air bags failed to deploy. The insurance company totaled the vehicle. Updated 05/13/14

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Feb 242014

Camry 6-cyl

I have been harassed on the roads of las vegas by several people who are hired by 2 people who have hired personal agencies to follow me around the city this has been constant every where I go the time I leave home to when I return. I believe that they have hired the nsa & their are agents who receive money by them to harass me.these vehicles portray plate numbers related to people I have on my facebook N twitter accounts-they will use birthdate, age numbers O celebrities I have on my account, even the president and 1st lady, me, my daughter, her daddy. Sometimes I am cut off and followed closely-I was traveling and was tailgated I entered a public area, when I got to the 2nd floor O the garage parking, the man got out O his vehicle and started towards me his vehicle red 4 door Toyota Camry with #'s O the presidents year O birth on the plate. Its red cars all the time representing the devil, this is the 3rd time I have had to call police. I know my stalkers names who may hire these people.they called the city on me, took the tag off my license plate, the next day I got a ticket. My last driving job they may have made threats to hurt passengers, transportation vehicles N tried to get me fired-one lives in las vegas, the other in los angeles and is a threat to the transportation industry.I have filed police reports-they also post comments on their twitter accounts O vehicles-planes, and use theinternet to communicate makes and models to follow and harass us and our children. They also hired vehicles with plate numbers possibly representing the presidents motorcade number on the govt plates. In July in cally my vehicle was towed and I was left without a vehicle and then had to be taken to the hospital due to low potassium levels and more. They use numbers in my VIN to communicate on their account. I didn't notice this til now.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Sep 052013

Camry 4-cyl

2003 Toyota Camry. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle sudden acceleration and air bags malfunction. The consumer was driving with the cruise control activated, and as he was preparing to exit the parkway, the vehicle suddenly accelerated, despite the application of the brake. He lost control of the vehicle, and consequently he hit a guard rail and the vehicle rolled over. The consumer sustained a deep laceration to his knee.

- Thornwood, NY, USA

Oct 032013

Camry 4-cyl

My daughter was returning home from college and lost control of her vehicle on I-85 in South Carolina, crossed the median and crashed into two tractor trailers and died at the scene. South Carolina highway patrol investigated the accident and determined she was traveling in excess of 90 mph at the time of the accident. This is not a speed my daughter would travel at. Witnesses also said she was passing people on the emergency lane on the right side while traveling at a high speed, which is something she would not do either. I believe the car was accelerating and she could not stop it and was driving on the shoulder to avoid hitting anyone with her out of control car. The emergency lane ended and she had to re-enter the travel lane but lost control and crossed the median. My daughter has been driving for two years and has thousands of miles of experience and would not drive in this manner, unless she could not control the vehicle. She completed drivers education and has had no moving violations of any kind since she has been driving.

- Harbeson, DE, USA

Sep 052013

I was driving into a parking spot. As I lifted my foot off the accelerator to slow down the car suddenly accelerated. Under my foot, the gas pedal moved on its own, speeding up to frightening intensity. My first attempt to brake did not disengage the acceleration. I continued to apply pressure on the brake. Finally, the ABS kicked in (I felt the pulsating of the braking) and car stopped, after going over a concrete parking barrier, a curb, up an incline and striking a 6 foot tall commercial fence. The impact pushed over the fence to about a 75 degree angle. I had the car towed to my local Toyota dealer which examined the car (they said), checked for "codes" regarding my model and told me there is no problem.

- Plano, TX, USA

Aug 232013

I was driving in the middle lane of the freeway at 6:30 am, when I proceeded to accelerate on the gas the car would not accelerate. I then pulled over and lifted the hood to see if anything was out of place. I did not see anything, so I veered back onto the freeway and the car accelerated a little but not much. After a mile I was descending on the gas and it would not accelerate anymore. I kept pressing on the gas and the car got slower and slower and finally stopped in the middle lane. I then got out of the car in morning traffic and place the car in neutral and pushed it to the shoulder of the freeway with thick on going traffic. I called the tow truck and waited, once the tow truck arrived he ask me if the car would crank? I tried to start the car again and the engine would not turn, it made this clucking noise and I knew that my engine went to engine heaven. I have documentation with all of my oil changes on a consistent bases.

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

May 302013

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Camry. The contact stated while driving 1 mph in a parking lot, the vehicle accelerated independently. The contact crashed into a protected barrier to avoid crashing into pedestrians and the air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained a contusion and a burn mark caused by seat belt. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to a collision center by the insurance company. The vehicle was not inspected to determine the cause of failure. The failure was reported to the manufacturer. The failure and current mileage was 43,911. Updated 7/17/13

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Dec 052012

Camry 4-cyl

I was slowing down to make a signaled left turn into a paking space at cvs pharmacy. As I braked and turned, the car lurched forward hitting a stacked stone pillar and came to a crashed stop. The air bag did not deploy and I had a scrape on my scalp from the sun visor.

- Acworth, GA, USA