CarComplaints.com Notes: Beware of the NHTSA complaint data for the 2004 Camry. It is almost certainly misleading.

The problem with NHTSA data for the 2004 Camry is that for months on end, the news media repeatedly told the public that several Toyota models had an unintended acceleration defect, & to go to safercar.gov (the NHTSA's website) to file a complaint.

So, the NHTSA received a disproportionate number of complaints about unintended acceleration issues because of the national news media attention, to the point where their data is unreliable taken in context with any other vehicle that did not receive national news attention.

CarComplaints.com typically receives more complaints per day about vehicles than the NHTSA does, but the news media did not repeatedly say "go to CarComplaints.com to report your Camry acceleration problems" like they did about the NHTSA -- so although we have less complaint data than the NHTSA for the 2004 Camry, our data for the Camry is a far more statistically accurate representation of the Camry's reliability than what the NHTSA data shows.

9.0

2. piston rings replacement (1 reports)
2004 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Camry:

2004 Toyota Camry Owner Comments

Sep 142012

Camry XLE 2.4L

I have my oil changed almost every 3000 miles. Recently, I have noticed that my engine losing oil. no leak anywhere but a few hundred miles i have to add oil to the engine. It is pain in the butt that toyota engine should not be losing oil. What could have caused it to lose oil....it is toyota camry? I would like to know so I can make a best decision.

- , Hudson, WI, USA

Mar 162009

Camry LE 2.4L I4

Toyota's are supposed to be well-known for their durability, but to have to replace parts of the engine just barely over 100K is ridiculous! My car was always serviced ON TIME and ALWAYS by Toyota. Never did I expect this from Toyota. After I confronted Toyota about the oil loss, they gave me the usual runaround of "come back in a 1000 miles etc." Useless vehicle management and diagnostics if you ask me. They didn't really know where the problem was (oil pan gasket was fine, so the oil had to be burned, rather than leaked/lost along the road).

The car kept eating up the oil like no one's business. Even after oil changes, within a few hundred miles, it would turn dark. Toyota's reply was that they consider themselves a "conservative car company" - which translates into > don't force/urge the customer for vehicle service unless absolutely necessary. Burning oil IS a serious problem and on top at 105K!"

As of now, Toyota refuses to really acknowledge the problem. Through some thorough research, I've found a TSB (TSB-0094-11) that's been issued on some newer model Toyotas that use the 2AZ-FE engine (found in Camrys, Solaras, Scions, etc). Of course, the 2003-05 engines didn't make the cut. Essentially they claim that a piston ring replacement (~$2000) will fix the problem. With this kind of money involved, I'll stave off for a new car, but never a gain a Toyota. They've lost it with me with this. Shame on the company, and their service employees.

- , Chicago, IL, USA