CarComplaints.com Notes: How can we give the 2006 Camry our "Seal of Awesome" when the NHTSA data shows engine problems in the triple digits & multiple deaths/injuries/crashes etc?

The problem with NHTSA data for the 2006 Camry is that for months on end, the news media repeatedly told the public that several Toyota models had an unintended acceleration defect, & to go to safercar.gov (the NHTSA's website) to file a complaint.

So, the NHTSA received a disproportionate number of complaints about Toyota unintended acceleration issues because of the national news media attention, to the point where their data is unreliable taken in context with any other vehicle that did not receive national news attention.

In other words, it's our opinion that the 2 deaths & other injuries/fires/crashes reported to the NHTSA are significant, but (unfortunately) not out of the ordinary for any vehicle, once you factor in the effects of the extended national media coverage of Camry unintended acceleration issues.

CarComplaints.com typically receives more complaints per day about vehicles than the NHTSA does, but the news media did not repeatedly say "go to CarComplaints.com to report your Camry acceleration problems" like they did about the NHTSA -- so although we have less complaint data than the NHTSA for the 2006 Camry, our data for the Camry is a far more statistically accurate representation of the Camry's reliability than what the NHTSA data shows.

2006 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Camry:

2006 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 5 of 5)

Jan 082007

Camry 4-cyl

- the contact stated the vehicle accelerated unexpectedly while driving. The contact stated that most of the incidents occurred while the he was pulling into a parking space. The contact stated the he had four minor crashes due to the vehicle accelerating. In the latest incident the vehicle accelerated across a five lane highway and crashed into a utility pole. The weather conditions were dry, and was not aware of the vehicle's speed. The driver was injured, and taken in an ambulance to the hospital. The driver sustained burns from the seat belts. The air bags did not deploy. The contact stated that he had previously taken the vehicle to the dealer, and they could not find anything wrong. The contact has the repair order, and the police report. Updated 02/06/07.

- Clevland, OH, USA

Dec 022006

Camry 4-cyl

: the contact stated the he was applying the brake while pulling into a parking lot when the vehicle lunged forward. The consumer continued to apply the brake but the vehicle continued very slowly forward until it went throught a store's glass window. The police determined the contact must have accidentally depressed the accelerator pedal, but the contact denied the determination. A police report was taken, and the vehicle was not taken to a service dealer. Updated 12/28/2006 - the air bags did not deploy.

- Warwick, RI, USA

Nov 252006

Camry 4-cyl

Car surges (suddenly increases speed) in reverse 10-30 seconds following cold start. This occurs during slow, brake controlled, backing from my home garage. When surge occurs, tachometer goes up a few hundred RPM and I have to quickly apply more pressure to the brakes to keep the car from surging back and going out of control or hitting something. The A/C-heater is not turned on when problem occurs so it does not appear to be the A/C solenoid increasing the engine RPM. The cruise control is off. This condition is very dangerous, especially if you haven't been prepared to expect it. This problem happens every time I start the car cold. I have estimated the number of incidents below and have provided today's date as the latest date of incident. I only have information on this happening in "reverse" because every time I start my car cold, it is in the garage and I have to back out. See also 10295531, same complainant. * dsy

- Greenwich, CT, USA

Oct 162006

Camry

: the contact stated the vehicle excessively accelerated while backing out of a parking space at 2 mph. Prior to the incident, the motor would roar up when put into gear and when the gas pedal was applied. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the contact was waiting to hear the results of the examination. Their was an ODI #10150350 that applied to this complaint pertaining to the vehicle speed control module.

- Madison, WI, USA

Sep 182006

Camry 4-cyl

: the contact stated while backing the vehicle out of a parking space, with pressure applied to the accelerator, the pedal pushed down into the floorboard and the vehicle suddenly lurched backwards crashing into a tree. No injuries were sustained, the occupants were wearing seatbelts. The vehicle sustained minor damage. The police were on the scene and a report was taken. The vehicle was towed to the dealer to await inspection by a factory representative.

- Salem, NY, USA

Aug 282006

Camry

Petition for defect investigation into model year 2002 through 2006 Toyota Camry Solara vehicles for incidents relating to vehicle surging. The consumer experienced sudden acceleration in his vehicle. See also 10161608.

- Garner, NC, USA

Jul 032006

Camry

Consumer 2006 Camry surges. See also 10166955.

- Garner, NC, USA

May 032006

Camry 4-cyl

I have a 2006 Toyota Camry with 1700 miles on it. I had problems with the brakes 3 times and have had the car only 8 months. When I try to stop it seems the engine races and the brakes won't stop the car. The first time I went through a stop sign. The second time I was pulling out of a parking lot and the car kept going and was almost hit by a semi-truck. The third time I was stopping for a light and the car sped up. I had my foot on the brakes so I put it in park but it didn't stop and I rear ended a van. The police would not let me drive the car home. Oak lawn Toyota said I had to have the car towed to my house for them to come out and inspect it. They just wanted me to pay the $300 fee. Toyota came to the dealer to inspect it over 3 weeks ago and I still haven't heard anything. I am afraid to drive the car. I only drive it when I have to take my 90 year old father to the grocery store.

- Oak Lawn, IL, USA

May 052006

Camry 4-cyl

: the contact stated while driving past a roadside radar check, the display read slower than the speedometer on the vehicle. The dealership determined this was a direct result of the steel wheels; they cause an inaccurate reading with the speedometer. The manufacturer determined the speedometer could be false up to 8 percent, after having a radar test, it was determined the vehicle was off by 9 percent.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jan 092006

Camry 4-cyl

I terminated a lease on a 2006 Toyota Camry on Feb. 28. I only drove it from Nov. 1 to Jan. 9 when for the third time in those two months it surged ahead when I was parking. The surge was so powerful, that the car flew thru the air and damaged another car in the parking lot. My foot was on the brake. The car suffered $6000 worth of damages. I contacted the dealer to say I would have the damaged car towed to their shop and they said the body had to be repaired before they would check to see why it malfunctioned. I was told that a regional engineer from Toyota would inspect the car. I had great hopes that they would find the problem and fix it but the report said there was nothing wrong with the car. Of course there is something very wrong when the car will not stop but rather surges ahead when you are braking. They implied that after 45 years of accident free driving, I put my foot on the accelerator instead of the brake. I terminated the lease. But I am very fearful and very perplexed that Toyota is unconcerned about the safety of their cars. Toyota must address this problem---it is very wrong to ignore this safety hazard. I am filing this complaint about a car I no longer have because it has been sold to an unsuspecting person. The new owner was not told of the problem because they say there is no problem. I don't know how to contact the new owner. I thought the dealer would do the right thing and send the car back to the factory to be fixed. See ODI 10155560 also.

- Brookfield, WI, USA

Apr 152006

Camry 4-cyl

2006 Camry le surged ahead when foot was firmly on the brake. Went several feet before stopping. See ODI 10155629 also.

- Brookfield, WI, USA

Feb 132006

Camry 6-cyl

1) no events leading to failure noticed 2) was backing up in a wal mart parking lot after shopping - started the car, placed foot on break, shifted vehicle into reverse, gradually lifted foot off break as normal to back out and car engine surged to high speed driving vehicle into parked behind. Luckily no person was injured only 3 car property damage. 3) nothing has been done as of yet Toyota has be contacted investigation to be scheduled in next month.

- Victoria, TX, USA