CarComplaints.com Notes: How can we give the 2006 Camry our "Seal of Awesome" when the NHTSA data shows engine problems in the triple digits & multiple deaths/injuries/crashes etc?

The problem with NHTSA data for the 2006 Camry is that for months on end, the news media repeatedly told the public that several Toyota models had an unintended acceleration defect, & to go to safercar.gov (the NHTSA's website) to file a complaint.

So, the NHTSA received a disproportionate number of complaints about Toyota unintended acceleration issues because of the national news media attention, to the point where their data is unreliable taken in context with any other vehicle that did not receive national news attention.

In other words, it's our opinion that the 2 deaths & other injuries/fires/crashes reported to the NHTSA are significant, but (unfortunately) not out of the ordinary for any vehicle, once you factor in the effects of the extended national media coverage of Camry unintended acceleration issues.

CarComplaints.com typically receives more complaints per day about vehicles than the NHTSA does, but the news media did not repeatedly say "go to CarComplaints.com to report your Camry acceleration problems" like they did about the NHTSA -- so although we have less complaint data than the NHTSA for the 2006 Camry, our data for the Camry is a far more statistically accurate representation of the Camry's reliability than what the NHTSA data shows.

2006 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Camry:

2006 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Jan 232010

Camry

2006 Toyota accelerates after the accelerator is released. This has been experienced by multiple drivers of the same vehicle.

- Maumee, OH, USA

Sep 112007

Camry

I am concerned that my 2006 Toyota Camry is not on the recall list. While reversing out of a parking place the vehicle accelerated and crashed into a tree then surged forward at a high rate of speed back into the parking area with trees that I had reversed out of. My foot was firmly on the brake but the vehicles engine revved and surged back through the trees. Impact with tree on left drivers side first then vehicle slammed into tree on the right side. There is no time to react to this type of deadly speed acceleration. When my vehicle did come to a stop it was in neutral. The damage to the vehicle was $4,300, my insurance doubled and I am lucky to be alive and that I didn't kill someone in the parking lot. Toyota has no recall for 2006 Camry but I have counted 50 to 60 plus complaints on this site alone under brakes, ignition, acceleration etc. Toyota says I will have to pay for the repair which is totally unfair. My vehicle has depreciated quickly in value because of this defect, the accident, and used parts being used in the accident repair. I feel as if I am taking a chance with my life and the life of my child each time I drive this car. You cannot get the car into neutral fast enough to avoid a crash. This is deadly safety issue.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Oct 012008

Camry

The accelerator pedal seems to be "sticky" and has been this way since purchase - if you depress the pedal, the car lurches forward and it is difficult to control the speed when in stop and go traffic, especially. This resulted in my car lurching forward (with a light press of the pedal) into the car in front of me. No injuries, but my front bumper was cracked from the impact. There was less than 5 feet in between our cars at the time, but enough force to put the trailer hitch of the car in front of me through the bumper.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Jan 252010

Camry

I experienced sudden unintended acceleration in my 2006 Toyota Camry le, while attempting to park in front of a 7eleven store to pickup my newspaper. I pressed on the brake prior to reaching the cement parking stop, I heard and felt a quick surge from the engine I hit the brake hard but still the car continued to more forward right thru the front doors of the 7eleven the car stopped by a door post.

- Mission Hills, CA, USA

Jul 152006

Camry

Acceleration while pressing on brake pedal. Unable to stop car for about 20 seconds.

- Mt. Arlington, NJ, USA

Oct 132009

Camry

Waiting in office driveway to make right turn North on roadway. All of a sudden instead of turning, my car suddenly accelerated extremely fast straight across 4 lanes of North & South traffic. Applied brake hard & was lucky to stop just short of slamming into sidewalk & stores. It was a miracle no cars broadsided me on my right or left.

- Bethpage, NY, USA

Dec 192009

Camry

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Camry. While attempting to shift the vehicle from park to drive, the accelerator pedal became stuck. Consequently she crashed into the wall of a garage. She was taken to the hospital for a strained neck and shoulder. A police report was available. The insurance company will call the Toyota manufacturer. The vehicle received major damages. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The failure mileage was 22,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 122006

Camry

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Camry. The vehicle would hesitate when applying pressure on the accelerator pedal, and then lurch forward. The vehicle has been taken to the dealer multiple times. The technicians stated that they could not provide a remedy because it was a computer failure between the accelerator pedal and the motor. The failure mileage was 4500. The current mileage was 40,000.

- Danielsville, GA, USA

Nov 252009

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Camry. As the contact placed the vehicle in reverse, to back out of the driveway, the vehicle suddenly accelerated without warning and crashed into a tree. The failure has not been diagnosed by the dealer and there were no prior warnings. The current and failure mileages were 54,000. Updated 1/14/10 updated 01/15/10.

- Hingham, MA, USA

Sep 092007

Camry

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Camry. While parking, the vehicle rapidly accelerated over a curb and through the glass of a store- front. A police report was filed. He called the Toyota manufacturer and filed a complaint. However he has not received a response. The damages to the vehicle and the store front were over $17,000. The current mileage was 20,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Southington, CT, USA

Feb 202009

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Camry. While driving in reverse into a parking space, the vehicle accelerated without intention and crashed into a house. The driver sustained minor injuries on her hand. There were damages to the rear bumper, exterior lights and frame structure. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for repairs. The failure mileage was unknown. The current mileage was 56,000. Updated 01/06/10 updated 01/07/10.

- Glastonbury, CT, USA

Oct 302009

Camry 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Camry. While attempting to park, the vehicle suddenly accelerated. The vehicle struck a cement boulder, and then crashed into a parked vehicle. The vehicle then spun around several times and became lodged between a tree and a pole. A police report was filed. The vehicle was repaired shortly thereafter at the owner's expense. The failure mileage was 3,150. The current mileage was 3,500. Updated 1/11/09

- Melville, NY, USA

Dec 062006

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Camry. While entering the garage at 3 mph he applied pressure to the brake pedal, and then the vehicle accelerated without intention. Consequently, the vehicle crashed into the garage wall and then into the kitchen. There were damages to the cabinets, dishwasher, stove and refrigerator. There was no personal injuries. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer with severe damages. An identical failure occurred on a separate occasion. The vehicle crashed into a building. The driver sustained no personal injuries. The police and fire department were called to the scene. The failure mileage was 40,000. The current mileage was 50,000. Updated 12/08/09. Updated 12/10/09.

- Johns Creek, GA, USA

Feb 272009

Camry

2006 Toyota Camry surged unexpectedly. Increase in engine speed occurring while the accelerator pedal is not depressed. Uncontrolled surge caused vehicle to crash into other objects. Upon impact, air bags did not inflate.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Sep 052007

Camry 4-cyl

2006 Camry....while inching my car forward in my driveway to position the car to back it up, I was applying the brake and moving at a speed of no more than 2-3 mph. The car started to accelerate which kept increasing. I was taken by surprise, didn't know what was happening. I looked down at the accelerator to make sure it wasn't me. My foot was on the brake. Before I knew it, I hit head on the very large tree at the end of my driveway. I was approximately 4 ft from the tree when the engine started revving. I had my seat belt on, which saved me from smacking my face on the steering wheel. My head jerked forward and I had a tremendous headache afterwards with pain in my neck. The air bag did not deploy. I put the car in park and my husband reached in the window and turned the engine off. When I started it up again, there was no problem and I carefully moved it away from the tree. The force with which I hit the tree pushed in my front end and also did some damage under the hood since the power steering fluid was leaking. I am currently waiting for the insurance adjustor to check this out. He did say that if he doesn't experience the same problem, he doesn't know what can be done by Toyota. Needless to say, I am anxious for the results and will not feel safe driving my car.

- Havertown, PA, USA

May 012007

Camry 6-cyl

I had pulled slowly into a parking space. I had my foot on the brake. I was stopped. I was putting the car into the park position when the car suddenly surge forward at a high rate of speed. My foot was on the brake the entire time. The car went over the cement block into the parking space, jumped over a cement curb onto a grassy center island and finally stopped when I hit a tree. I have pictures of skid marks on the grassy area and the pavement to show that I had my foot on the brake and I was trying to stop the car. The car was totaled, and I sustained bruises from the airbag and the seat belt. I contacted Toyota. They sent an engineer to inspect the car. The engineer said that he could not recreate the problem and nothing was wrong with the car. I knew that my foot was on the brake, not the gas pedal. Even if it was on the gas pedal, I was parking and certainly would not have stomped on the gas pedal to make the car surge out of control as it did.

- Escondido, CA, USA

May 292007

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Camry. While pulling out of a parking spot driving 2 mph, the vehicle started to spin out of control and hit a parked vehicle. The contact did not remember if she was applying the accelerator. The road conditions were clear. The vehicle was towed to the dealer and they were unable to duplicate the failure. The power train information was unknown. The current and failure mileages were 26,000.

- Middletown , NY, USA

May 242007

Camry 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Camry. The dealer stated that the vehicle's front brakes were out of round and caused the vehicle to pulsate. The dealer resurfaced the front rotors and sanded the front brake pads. While driving 40 mph under normal driving conditions, the vehicle suddenly accelerated and failed to stop. The contact was unable to steer the vehicle and crashed into a cement wall. The driver suffered bruises on both legs, a hand, and chest. The vehicle was destroyed and towed. The current and failure mileages were 5,637. The consumer provided correspondence letters from Toyota, amended accident report, vehicle description via web, and extended warranty information. Updated 09/20/07 see ODI 10308272

- Cambria Heights , NY, USA

Apr 182007

Camry 4-cyl

I was in a parking space when the car took off (with my foot on the brake) and the car went into a brick beam on the outside of a store front. The air bags did not deploy despite the entire front-end of the car is completely caved in. I questioned myself but knew there is no way possible that I could hit the gas and cause that amount of damage. I heard the engine surge before the car ran up the brick piece on the ground before it went up the sidewalk and hit the brick beam. During the entire accident I tried to stop the car but could not gain control. The ground was dry therefore rain was not an issue.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Oct 102006

Camry 4WD 4-cyl

Car has on two occasions, surged forward when my foot was on the brake, making it difficult for me to stop it.

- Washington, DC, USA