CarComplaints.com Notes: An increasing number of Toyotas are experiencing excessive oil consumption and the 2007 Camry seems to be leading the charge.

Owners are reporting that their engines are deprived of oil halfway through their maintenance schedules and in some cases the damage is so bad that entirely new engines need to be installed, paid out of pocket. The issue may be a result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

Toyota has issued a TSB for this problem, but maintains their stance that vehicles equipped with a 2AZ-FE engine are burning through a “normal” amount of oil.

2007 Toyota Camry fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry:

2007 Toyota Camry Owner Comments

Apr 182016

Camry

Recently the "ABS" and "brake" light came up; now these light come up and stay on for some time- simultaneously; the needles of the mph, RPM, H/C, and gas gauge drops- the prm needles flicker up and down. Also, the temperature marker doesnT work. The mph hits down to 0 when I am on the road at normal speed. But I don't know my speed. My air conditioning system does not work when this happens. I also notice that it doesn't track the "trip miles when it is out of control (although I havenT noticed if it fails to track the mileage on the odometer. Then this problem stops and the car goes back to "normal." A few minutes later, the same problem. The problem can last for 5 minutes to 20 minutes. I called Toyota service's 800 number after searching the web and reading similar problems being documented. Here are just a few: www.carcomplaints.com/Toyota/Camry/2007/electrical/electrical_system.shtml; www.justanswer.com/Toyota/5O8xa-Toyota-Camry-operating-2007-Camry-occasionally.html. one person posted I called the Toyota corporate office in 2012, yet when I called Toyota claimed no knowledge. The person I spoke to even said they have never received a call about this before. Some of the posts online of people who have complained about this issue state the exact thing Toyota told me over the phone. This is a huge safety hazard. I tried to defrost my windows and had an issue with that because the car was on the "ABS" "brake" and the car was acting up. My car tested positive for oil consumption problem and I am waiting to get that replaced. Now this started happening. This "new" problem needs to be addressed and corrected by Toyota.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Mar 232015

Camry 4-cyl

I own a 2007 Toyota Camry SE and for the past several months I have been having issues with my car not starting if it is on unlevel ground. I assumed it was something in the gas I had recently purchased but that does not seem to be the case. If my car is parked on unlevel ground, I now have to place the gear in neutral and push the car to a level ground in order for it to start. I recently had it checked out by a mechanic and he told me that it had to be a sensor in the fuel pump causing my car to respond in one of two ways: 1) there was no gas in the tank or 2) the antitheft sensor was on and the car doesn't start if the vehicle has been stolen. I had a full tank at the time so option 1 was definitely not the case. This issue is continuous, is anyone else having this issue where your car won't start if you are on unlevel ground"?"...updated08/20/15 the consumer stated the manufacturer was contacted. Updated 11/27/15

- Maxton, NC, USA

Apr 082015

Camry

- 2007 Camry has been consuming unreal amount of engine oil. - I took it to the delearship; and they mentioned replacement of pistons will be covered under factory warranty but if the engine is damaged they will not cover it. At this point, I am not even sure the piston is not working as it was supposed to. - the car was bought brand new and the defect on engine was brought to our attention only a month ago in 2015.

- Burke, VA, USA

Jan 092015

Camry

I was driving the Camry when I reached a complete stop my check engine light came on, didn't really notice any change, two days later I notice gas consumption has increased. I took the Camry into dealer, dealer diagnosed the check engine to be a faulty O2 sensor. Replaced O2 sensor and drove off to pick up my kids from school, as we are driving home, I came to a traffic light, I stopped and check engine light and ABS light came on idle was disrupted briefly. I proceeded and when trying to stop car the brake pedal had become very tight to were I had to stomp on brakes with all my might to get car to stop. Drop kids off at home waited 15 minutes and started vehicle, ABS light was off but check engine remained on, brake pedal was almost back to normal. I drove car to dealer again, the dealer said it is a faulty brake booster which is allowing too much air into system which in return signals for more fuel to be pumped to compensate vacuum leak. Brake booster not covered under extended warranty, and very costly $1,363.16 parts, labor and taxes, not counting the 4 day rental. This concerns me because I believe this to be a safety issue, if it were my wife driving the Camry with my kids she would not be able to stop the vehicle without any warning. Toyota needs to make this a safety recall before something tragic happens. I looked at Toyota forums and it seems I'm not alone, brake booster for several other Toyota models have gone bad, after 100,000 miles some at 70,000. 2007 Toyota Camry seems like a horrible guinea pig car.

- Casselberry, FL, USA

Nov 212014

Camry 4-cyl

Vehicle leaks or burns oil in excess from unknown location or undisclosed location by manufacturer. No oil visible on ground underneath car. Engine was not getting adequate lubrication due to this problem and thus caused engine failure. Vehicle was no longer able to accelerate on freeway and had to be pulled over putting vehicle owner at risk and other drivers on road in danger. The engine is now damaged and is unable to be repaired despite proper maintenance and recommended oil changes as per dealership and owners manual. The engine now has to be replaced. This leakage has been reported by over hundreds of unsatisfied customers and has purposely been disregarded by manufacturer despite the numerous complaints received and made by 2007 Toyota Camry owners. Many of which suffered like this owner and had to pay out of pocket for a new engine despite this being a manufacturer defect that has been neglected.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 092014

Camry 4-cyl

I was parking my car and when I went to stop car and turn it off, I experienced unexpected acceleration. Car jumped the curb and crashed into the concrete barrier of the parking garage.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Apr 072014

Camry

Noticed my car had a knocking sound took it in to my mechanic to see what the problem was. I'm very particular about my car. The mechanic called to inform me the oil levels were extremely low, while he noticed it was close to needing an oil change but the levels shouldn't have been that low. His observation was my car is burning oil too fast. He called the dealership to question if there was an recall of such and the associate at the dealership mentioned a silent recall of this matter. He then informed me to take it in to the dealership, in which we did and was informed due to the powertrain warranty has expired I could pay $5000+ to rebuild my motor or get my oil changed ever 3000 miles instead of 5000 miles. This I thought was a problem cause when I purchased my new 2007 camryi was informed to change the oil every 5000 miles. It seems to be a manufacture defect cause I'm faithful about servicing my car and only take it to the dealership for oil changes and this should have been communicated to me a while ago. I'm hoping it doesn't cause any motor problems in the future.

- Fresno, TX, USA

Nov 132013

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the fuel tank heat shield became separated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who determined that the heat shield metal failed due to electrical charge and corrosion. The fuel heat shield was replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 38,345.

- North Huntingdon, PA, USA

Nov 232012

Camry 4-cyl

On Nov. 23 2012 I was driving on the highway 61 in winona, mn "all of a sudden" my car speed was dropping from 65 mph to 15 mph in a matter of second and the check engine light came on. I have fight for my life to get out to the side of the highway. When the car stop I check the engine run fine, but when I step on the gas pedal nothing happen. I put the car into drive gear and it only go as fast 10 to 15 mph. This is the first time in my life that I see this thing, I would like to "warn" all Camry drivers becareful you may not have the luck I have. I make an appointment to the dealer for inspection.

- Winona, MN, USA