Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: An increasing number of Toyotas are experiencing excessive oil consumption and the 2007 Camry seems to be leading the charge.

Owners are reporting that their engines are deprived of oil halfway through their maintenance schedules and in some cases the damage is so bad that entirely new engines need to be installed, paid out of pocket. The issue may be a result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

Toyota has issued a TSB for this problem, but maintains their stance that vehicles equipped with a 2AZ-FE engine are burning through a “normal” amount of oil.

2007 Toyota Camry steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry:

2007 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Sep 012010

Camry 4-cyl

Toyota Camry 2007 - persistent vibration steering at highway speed - not being resolved by a series of attempts such as balancing, tire replacement, alignment, brake component replacement. The steering vibration was part of a Toyota service bulletin but despite the specific instruction on how to fix the problem, the vibration was never eliminated. Lately, vehicle also showing vibration when braking - also at highway speeds. Brake repaired at dealer without results. Toyota dealer has provided no further resolution option. The concern is if this is a result of the original steering vibration with the vehicle showing further deterioration.

- Novi, MI, USA

Sep 252010

A few weeks ago I started to notice a "clunking noise" when I turn the steering wheel while the car is standing still or moving slowly, like backing out of our driveway or turning into our driveway, parking lot, etc.... I finally had time to look it up online and see if I could find anything about it and of course I did. Apparently it dates back to the '04-'06 Camry and a problem with the steering intermediate shaft. There was a tsb announcement about the earlier issue, but none so far for the '07. From what I understand from reading the forums it appears to be a wide spread issue. I think there needs to be a recall.

- Nacogdoches, TX, USA

Jun 062010

Clunk/pop in steering column when accelerating from a stop, reversing, and turning wheel to the right or moving straight. Seems to do it mostly once car is warmed up, not when first driving.

- Irmo, SC, USA

Apr 102010

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. While driving approximately 40 mph, the steering wheel locked and the contact lost control of the vehicle. The vehicle crashed into a guard rail and both the contact and the passenger suffered injuries. The vehicle was towed; however, no repairs were performed. The failure and current mileage was approximately 50,000.

- Mansfield, MA, USA

Mar 152010

I was driving for work with my Toyota Camry 2007. While accelerating to get on the highway, around the end of the ramp, my vehicle suddenly accelerated with no controls working from the driver's seat either for the steering wheel or the brake. In a matter of a few seconds, the vehicle went a few times in a zig-zag manner and subsequently hit a semi-trailer which was southbound on the highway. My car was completely smashed in the front and totaled later. This incident occurred after my car went through the accelerator pedal replacement as per recommendation of the Toyota recall procedure. I could have been easily killed in this accident. I got a traffic ticket for the first time in my life after having a ticket-free driving record for the past 11+ years. I am pleading 'not guilty' for this ticket because the defective Toyota car was responsible for the accident and not my error.

- Sylvania, OH, USA

Feb 072010

I have a 2007 Japanese-made Camry. I bought at a premium (well above invoice and above msrp because servco Hawaii does not give discounts) thinking I was paying for a reliable and well-made vehicle. I have had other Toyota but none with as many problems as this vehicle. And, with all the news of accelerator problems, I would like my problems checked and not be charged for it. I do not like the idea of having to pay $103 (1hr labor) X 3 different accelerator issues + another $103 to see why there is the smell of gasoline coming from the A/C vent. 1. when stepping on the accelerator, I will get no response... I continue to depress the gas, still no response. Then finally, the car will thrust forward violently. This has been mentioned to Toyota Hawaii dealer several times saying it was normal for drive by wire vehicle and that it will take some getting used to. 2. when accelerating slowly, the car will rev high without the automatic transmission upshifting.. I have to depress the gas more and the car will rev even higher before upshifting. 3. on 2 different times, the car has revved and jumped forward while not in gear. The first time was at an intersection. I shifted into neutral with the P-brake on and it felt as if someone hit my car from the rear. The car jumped into the busy crosswalk about 2 feet until I hit the brake pedal and shifted it back into drive. Another time was at the drive-thru window in park. The car didn't move but jerked violently. Both were on flat surfaces. 4. when under heavy acceleration, the car sometimes give off the smell of gasoline. It is not exhaust fumes but smells of raw gasoline. A/C in recirculate mode. I also have been having numerous other quality problems with excessive rattling of trim and door ajar alarm going off for no reason.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Feb 152010

My 2007 Toyota Camry is dangerous and defective. I have being saying since my first maintenance check at the dealer that the car doesn't seem to be working the way it should. Now it has been recalled for a "sticky pedal". the problems I have are not a sticky pedal problem. The car lurches at times when accelerating. It lurches forward from stops. I have already hit a curb because of it just a couple of weeks ago. I have video footage of the road and the damage to the car from hitting the curb. I can email you the video footage. The car also seems to drift momentarily as if there is a steering synchronization lapse defect. When I mentioned these both to the dealer a year ago, the dealer's service tech said it was just the safety feature of the car working properly. There are split seconds when the steering wheel does not control the car while it is driving. This all seems to happen randomly. I wonder if Toyota programmed the car to do this on purpose to increase the number of times I would need to have the car serviced. The dealership has so far refused to take the car back and cancel my lease. So I am still driving this unpredictable car every day. There is something wrong with this car.

- Frisco, TX, USA

Jan 142010

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that he noticed problems with the rack and pinion steering. When he drove approximately 20 mph, the vehicle would pull to the right and when he drove over a bump in the road, he had to hold the wheel tight in order to control the vehicle. He also stated that when turning the wheel to the left or the right, it would lock. The dealer told him not to let go of the steering wheel while driving over a bump in the road and that there was nothing wrong the vehicle. When the recall repair was performed, the dealer told him once again that there was no problem with the vehicle. After the recall 10V017000, vehicle speed control, accelerator pedal repair was made, the accelerator pedal stuck for the first time; however, he was able to stop the vehicle by applying the brakes. He called the manufacturer and was unable to get any assistance. The vehicle had not been repaired at the time of the complaint. The current mileage was 18,562. The failure mileage was 17,538.

- Grand Island, NY, USA

Feb 012010

Steering wheel continues to sound as though it is grinding and the noise and vibration of the grinding goes into the gas pedal. I took the car to the dealer and he said that all it needed was to be oiled, which he did on a Saturday and by Monday it had returned.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Feb 202010

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry SE. The contact was driving 45 mph, while changing lanes the contact could not control the steering. The contact stated that the vehicle did not respond to her steering. She did not depress the brake, she just tried to steer the vehicle straight but it kept steering to the left. The vehicle then crashed into another vehicle.the police did arrive to the scene but no report was filed. The contact informed the manufacturer before the accident that she was hearing noises in the vehicle. The manufacturer fixed the alignment of the vehicle at no cost to her. She had contacted the manufacturer of the accident and they informed her that she would have to wait 7 to 10 business days for them to conduct an investigation. The vehicle had not been taken to the dealer or been repaired at the time of the complaint. The failure mileage was 28000 and the currentmileage was 28000.

- Temple City, CA, USA

Oct 012007

I leased a Toyota Camry xle 2007 model from patt lobb Toyota, mckinney, tx sometime in the last quarter of 2007. I have experienced the problem of sudden acceleration so many times and complained to the dealer three times, first time with in the first week of leasing, and they told it is due to rack and pinion steering which gives me a different feel, second time they blamed on my tires as they don't have enough tread depth and last time they can not replicate the problem. This problem always happened when I accelerate around 60 mph.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

May 102009

I have problem with my steering turning left and right there is a loud noise and also vibration in gas pedal when I stop at red when green light star gas pedal take long time respond I take to dealer they don't anything with my problem.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Feb 032009

Camry 4-cyl

2007 Camry le 4 cylinder.. steering has sound when taking right left or back up... some weird noise like clunk or light hit of drum kind.

- Culver City, CA, USA

Dec 152009

2007 Camry with 60,000 miles wearing of steering column lower part bushing. Coat 1200 no accidents as yet to be repaired. Otherwise problems with steering.

- Riverhead, NY, USA

Oct 222009

As soon as I pulled out of my driveway, I heard something snap in my 2007 Toyota Camry and all the power steering fluid leaked out onto the street in front of my house. The car was towed to a local auto repair shop and they replaced the rack and pinion steering.

- Little Egg Harbor, NJ, USA

Oct 152009

I was driving my 2007 Toyota Camry in a left turn and suddenly the steering wheel was locked up. I tried to hit the brakes, the brakes was locked up too. I lost control of the car and ran into woods. Car hit a tree in front and stopped, but none of the air bags deployed. Thus, my head hit steering wheel and got two cuts on my forehead. I was sent to er and had a surgery with 11 stitches. The car is a total lose now.

- Somerset, NJ, USA

Sep 252009

The steering wheel flutters a lot at highway speed. This happens even in perfectly smooth road and in a little rough road the vehicle is uncontrollable. Toyota known about the problem and has a tsb (tsb 01-06-08). However, dealers always ask to go for wheel alignment, balancing etc and does not want to fix as per tsb. This is a significant safety issue and must be considered as a recall.

- Belmont, MA, USA

Feb 242009

I bought a 2007 Toyota Camry brand new and had it 2 days when needing to take it back to the dealership for a front end problem. The subframe bolts were loose and needed to be tightened and aligned. I have worn out 3 sets of tires in 2 years. The car only has 50K miles on it. All different brands of tires used and the first 2 wore out at 18,000 miles but the last wore out at around 5,000. It has been on an alignment rack 3 times and each time needing small adjustments. The car also has a binding noise upon turning the wheel to the left. Called dealerships and they will do nothing or even confirm that there is a problem with car. I am disguised. I have spent over $1000 on a car that is still new. Help with all the money Toyota is making they should be held accountable and have a recall on the issues and reimburse owners. I do not expect to put hundreds of dollars out on a new vehicle.

- Pottsville, PA, USA

Aug 012008

I purchased 2007 Toyota Camry le. I have had nothing but trouble with it. The car has put me and my family in danger every time we accelerate. It will not go. The car almost stalls out. Also when I make left turns the steering seems to lock up. I have to jerk the car back to the right to get the steering wheel to unstick. Brought it to the dealer and they tell me everything is okay. Of course they will say that. I think they train them in school to use that answer. I will be bringing the car back to them because this is getting scary. The car only has 12K miles on it. I have seen hundreds of complaints on this same thing so if they state does not do something, than they should be held liable if someone dies in an accident.

- Livingston, LA, USA

Aug 092008

2007 Toyota Camry le, there is a looseness, or a clunking noise and sensation from the steering wheel. This happens when the wheel is turned from left to right. There are forums on this issue. Please help us.

- Glendora, CA, USA