Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Much like the 2007 model year, which has a higher number of complaints, owners are reporting that their engines are running out of oil awfully quick. As in, 1 quart every 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains that’s with the “normal” operating range of the 2AZ-FE while owners maintain that’s complete BS.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

2008 Toyota Camry accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Camry:

2008 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Sep 062016

While driving, my sun visor will fall down when I hit a bump, and sometimes for no reason. It can be very startling and of course dangerous.

- Newburgh, IN, USA

Jan 012016

The dashboard is melting away. The glare currently is so severe I have difficulty seeing through the windshield on a sunny day. The dash looks as if someone sprayed glue all over it and feels that way. I was at the dealer in janurary as Toyota has a safety campaign currently which does no good if they have no parts.

- Little River, SC, USA

Apr 022013

I'm experiencing a melting dashboard that causes a such glare on the windshield that it has the effect of of us not being able see thorough the windshield as was intended by its installation. We now wear uv sunglasses in order to try to combat the glare. This melting dashboard is a safety hazard! I've sent/spoken with Toyota and its dealers and they have not agreed repair or replace my melting dashboard. Did I mention it is a safety hazard and has further decreased the re-sale value.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jul 142016

The sun visor on 2007 to 2011 Toyota Camry are defective. They droop and eventually fall off due to usage. The visor has now fallen off twice. Toyota knows there is a problem and extended their warranty for this problem 7 years but it continues to fail over and over. Bad design, bad customer service.

- Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

May 102016

Dash is melting. The residue from the dash is causing a sticky reflective surface. The reflective surface is distracting for drivers and can during bright days cause reduced visibility.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Aug 102015

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry. While driving at an unknown speed, the driver side window operated independently and black smoke appeared from the door. The contact pulled over and discovered that the driver side of the vehicle was on fire. The fire department extinguished the fire. The contact was informed that the fire was caused by an electrical failure with the door. The vehicle was towed and not repaired. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V491000 (visibility). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Mar 282013

I purchased this vehicle used from savannah Hyundai. I immediately noticed and was very concerned about the substantial glare that comes off the melted, sticky dashboards. Which has impede the ability to safely operate this vehicles. There is a reflection off of the melted dashboard that has from time to time temporarily blind me. Alternately, this may, very well could lead to an accident. Also, I am very concern about the chemical smell associated with this 2008 Toyota Camry dashboards that seem to be melting and prematurely degrading.

- Pooler, GA, USA

Sep 012015

Just purchased a used 2008 Toyota Camry on 7/15/15. On 9/1/15 we were driving at about 25mph. When we put the driver's side visor down to protect against the crucial sunlight the visor snapped! currently will not stay up or completely down. This is causing a safety issue because its nearly impossible to see with the visor snapped.

- Wrightsville, PA, USA

Jun 012015

The sun visor became weak and has broken completely. I would Venture to say the visor has less than the average amount of normal wear and tear. The visor itself will not stay up in the proper position nor stay down/back (more flatly adjacent to the windshield). This causes decreased/awkward visibility when driving in general and offers no relief when needed from driving into the sun's path. It is also very distracting (even frustrating) when operating the vehicle.

- Jasper, IN, USA

Aug 182015

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while driving, there was an odor of smoke emitting from the driver side door window switches. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who was able to remove the switch. The contact stated that the switch overheated and melted. The switch was disconnected. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V491000 (visibility). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 121,446.

- Atmore, AL, USA

Jul 302015

While driving, the driver side sun visor began to slowly drop down and eventually fell completely off falling into my face and onto my lap. The visor appears to have broken off at the point where it is held to the car itself. There was no warning it was about to break completely off and fall on my face. When Toyota was called to check to see if it is a know issue, Toyota's response was there is a known issue with my vehicle. Apparently the sun visors are drooping and breaking on select models, causing then to fall off. They advised my vehicle was included in this visor issue. However, there is not a recall. I advised Toyota this is a safety issue. I drive to and from work often driving in the direction of direct sun. Not having a visor is a safety issue. I now am concerned abvout this issue. Toyota's response was this is no longer covered under the vehicle warranty and they will not cover the repair cost. Toyota advised if I wanted to have the issue fixed, I would need to purchase a new one at my cost. This issue is more around safety and supporting the "known issue." I now am at risk of an accident without a working visor due to this known issue which Toyota themselves identified.

- Mount Vernon, NY, USA

Jul 282015

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry. While driving at 25 mph, the sun visor opened independently and encountered the contacts head. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the sun visor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 45,000.

- Bayside, NY, USA

May 222015

On May 22, 2015, when I got into my car, the sun visor was down. I tried to put it back into its proper place, but it would not stay up. No matter what I tried, it kept flopping down, obstructing the view when driving. If I push it forward toward the front window, I can see better, but still I don't have maximum visibility. It flops back down at times, totally blocking my view of the road and the review mirror. This is a definitely safety hazard and if authorities were aware, I would probably be given a citation for driving an unsafe car. When it flops down and obstructs view of the rear view mirror, the only way I can see what is behind me is by using the side view mirrors which takes longer and, therefore, could easily cause an accident. I find that many others have filed complaints about the sun visor problem, yet Toyota continues to deny responsibility. If this is the way Toyota stands behind their cars, I need to return to Nissan for my next car.

- Altavista, VA, USA

Jun 012015

The sun visor is broken. It occurred through normal use. The cars that were affected by the 2007 to 2011 Camry. Toyota is not standing behind their product.

- Humble , TX, USA

May 292015

The passenger side sunvisor flops down unexpectedly obstructing the drivers view.

- Bristow, VA, USA

Jan 012015

The sun visor on the drivers side won't stay in place - it falls down and totally obstructs my view out of the front window. Toyota refuses to fix this so I now have it tied up with string so I can see out the window. I don't know how long this temporary fix will last! this is my first Toyota - I've always had Ford for many years (40+) and have never experienced this problem with any other car! Toyota received numerous complaints about this - especially with the 2007 thru 2011 Camry models. They sent us a "enhancement warranty" in 2012. Earlier this year, the sun visor began to slowly drop only about an inch. Living in Michigan with all the ice and snow and since the dealer is about 50 minutes away in good weather, I decided to bring my car in for this when my oil change was due, which was in May. When I called to make the appointment I was told that it's out of warranty and no longer covered by the enhanced warranty - that it expired in Jan 2015. I called the 800 # and they refused to cover it. This is a dangerous situation - which blocks the front window view - it is a clear safety hazard!! the sun visor on the drivers side of my car is completely dropped (won't stay up at all), while tons of others Toyota owners have same/similar problems - they have either dropped or drop suddenly when going over bumps, etc. - in others, they never know when this will happen and their view is obstructed! Toyota is aware of this problem but refuses to acknowledge that this should be a recall!! Toyota new motto should be "money is more important than lives" - or is this already their motto? please don't let Toyota get away this serious defect too!! shame on Toyota again!!

- Brownstown Twp., MI, USA

May 312011

I purchased this 2007 car new in late 2006. After about 5 years, the dashboard began to get shiny and very sticky. It appeared to be melting. If you touch it, it is sticky and can easily be gouged. No amount of cleaning is able to resolve the shiny, sticky mess. During the day, the dashboard has so much glare that it is nearly impossible to see out the windshield (car has a grey interior with a light grey dash) without putting a towel or dark sweatshirt on the dash to cover the glare. I have never used any chemical product on the dash. No armor all or other products were ever used. I live in southern Georgia just North of the Florida border now. When I purchased the car, I lived in Massachusetts. I moved to Georgia in 2008 and the problem started in 2011-2012. This is an extreme safety hazard due to the glare during the day significantly limiting visibility. To date, Toyota denies the problem and refuses to assist in resolving what is an obvious manufacturing defect. I have seen hundreds of the same complaints on line and in various internet forums.

- Brunswick, GA, USA

Jul 102014

The dashboard has molten and become shiny. The windshield reflects light from the dashboard that may cause accident due to poor driver's vision.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jan 092012

Vehicle dash started melting and became reflective. This is hazardous situation. Now it is a stage when driving under sun becomes unbearable and reflection is so bad that it is very difficult to see. Dash is completely melted and being poor design. Dealer said it happens in 1 out of 10 cars.

- Missouri City, TX, USA

Nov 012014

Camry 4-cyl

The dashboard is starting to melt and is causing glare on the front windshield while driving. Nothing remedies it and there is question as to whether or not the passenger air bag will deploy properly due to the increased elasticity of the dashboard.

- Columbus, GA, USA