CarComplaints.com Notes: Much like the 2007 model year, which has a higher number of complaints, owners are reporting that their engines are running out of oil awfully quick. As in, 1 quart every 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains that’s with the “normal” operating range of the 2AZ-FE while owners maintain that’s complete BS.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

2008 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Camry:

2008 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Nov 132016

Engine burns a quart of oil every 400-500 miles

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jan 172016

Engine use 1 ouart of oil every 600-700 miles

- Sykesville, MD, USA

Aug 052015

Camry

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry. Upon making a turn, the seat belt warning indicator chimed several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but they were unable to provide a remedy. The oil was routinely maintained, but the pressure continued to be low. There was no warning indicator illuminated when the oil pressure was low. The dealer provided an oil consumption test. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer for further diagnostic testing for longer than three months. The contact stated that the vehicle shook and vibrated and was taken back to the dealer. The dealer diagnosed that the bearings were defective and the engine may need to be replaced. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 59,000.

- Katy, TX, USA

Jan 012016

Camry

Toyota excessive engine oil consumption. Toyota issued a warranty enhancement notification on their Camry's - ZE7 for "excessive engine oil consumption". my car was tested and failed the test in January 2016. Toyota has not repaired the vehicle and I am unable to get an appointment. Each time I call the dealership, they say Toyota does not have enough parts and there is a backlog of thousands of vehicles waiting to be repaired. Again today when I called, I was told they are just now repairing vehicles that failed the test back in March of 2015, failed the test 15 months ago, and that my vehicle will not be repaired for at least another year!! horrible customer service. If Toyota can prepare parts for new Camry sales, they should be able to prepare parts to repair vehicles they already sold. I have reported this problem to the local oxmoore Toyota dealership as well as Toyota Consumer Affairs. Many families are going through this same issue. Toyota needs to make this a higher priority and stop stringing families (customers) along. As consumers, what can we do?

- Simpsonville, KY, USA

Jan 012014

Camry

Oil consumption problems with my car. I went to the dealer and they confirmed that through a test, however they said that they can't fix it because they don't have the parts and that they don't know when they are going to receive them!

- Lorain, OH, USA

Oct 012015

Camry

The car made a ding sound when the breaks were applied while it was being driven. Upon checking, I noticed that the engine oil was extremely low - the dip stick showed no oil on it. I was alarmed and immediately added 3 quarts of oil - for oil to show up on the dip stick. At first, I figured that, maybe at the previous oil change, sufficient oil was not added. Soon thereafter, I got an oil change. About 3 months later I began to hear the ding sound again. I checked the oil and found that it was low and again it did not even register on the dip stick. I added 3 quarts of oil and proceeded to get an oil change; this time with tansky Toyota dealership. Three months later, the problem recurred. This time I was concerned and checked all the mail I had received from Toyota and noticed a warranty enhancement letter that stated - 2008 Camry's had an oil consumption problem. I immediately went to tansky Toyota dealership and reported the problem and they began an oil consumption test. after the test, they told me that there was no problem and that it was a normal occurrence. Clearly, I was not convinced with the report and challenged the adviser. He remained adamant that there was no problem and that the test result was normal; he told me to check and add oil as needed regularly. I contacted the general manager of tansky. She had the service manager, call back a week later. He never acknowledged that the car had an oil consumption problem; rather that this is a normal occurrence and advised that the oil be replenished on a regular basis. I responded that, this was something that I have never experienced on my other Toyota cars; but my words fell on deaf ears. I am concerned that this issue will damage the engine; in addition the problem is a safety issue, should the oil be depleted while on long distance trips.

- Dublin, OH, USA

Jan 142016

Camry

I am getting running out of engine oil, I have talk to Toyota and they say too many people are facing same problem I am running out oil as low in just 1000 mile and I have diagnose and they could not found any problem. Car running out of oil and making big noise and scare to drive vehicle, I need solution as soon as possible

- Indian Trail, NC, USA

Dec 282015

Camry

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that an unknown warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the engine had no oil. The technician diagnosed that the vehicle had experienced excessive oil consumption and confirmed the vehicle lost a quart of oil every 1,000 miles however a remedy had not been determined. The vehicle had oil added to the engine. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 86,000.

- Katy, TX, USA

Jun 012015

Excessive oil consumption 1qt every 500 miles

- Memphis, TN, USA

Mar 012016

Camry

When I took my 2008 Camry in to the dealer for an oil change they found no oil in the car. They said I needed to take an "oil consumption test". they did something to my car and I drove for another 2000 miles and brought it back in. I was told it had failed the oil consumption test and that I would be put on a waiting list for repair which is covered by an extended warranty from Toyota. I was told the wait could be as long as six months and that in the meantime if my car runs out of oil and anything happens to the engine, the warranty would be void. My car might have oil in the morning and the be completely out of oil by the afternoon. I feel I should be given a loan car to drive while I am waiting for these repairs. I contacted Toyota directly in California and they would not approve this request. The parts needed for the repair are having to be manufactured and this takes months. My dealer told me there are people waiting since last year for repairs. I'm just asking for a car to drive while I wait so that I don't have to drive mine and risk voiding the warranty.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Feb 182016

Camry

Engine burning excessive oil. Three quarts every 2000 miles.

- Suwanee, GA, USA

Jan 012014

High oil consumption for over 1.5 years

- Rocky Face, GA, USA

Dec 282015

Camry

While driving highway, approx. 50 mph, my car engine quit running with no unusual noise, no warning lights or indicators. Oil was gone, but the oil indicator light had not lighted. No warning to quit driving before engine damage was experienced. The engine has not been disassembled for definitive diagnosis, but two auto repair shops, one being a local Toyota dealer service dept., have indicated that the engine must be replaced because the engine is knocking loudly and the bearings are probably overheated and "welded" to the part surrounding them. I learned from Toyota Corp. About their "excessive oil consumption" extended warranty program, but they are refusing to stand behind this defect in my car and refuse to perform repairs at their cost. My engine burned up because the oil was depleted within a two month period - this happened on 12/28/15, and I had topped off the oil in October with 2.5 qts, and the remaining oil was clean. Toyota refuses to acknowledge that a highly abnormal event has occurred with my car, gave me no warning to act in a safe manner, and led to engine failure with repairs estimated $5,300 - $7,600.

- Austin, TX, USA

Aug 012015

High oil consumption

- Massapequa Park, NY, USA

Dec 252015

Camry

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000.

- Simpsonville, SC, USA

Sep 112014

Camry

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that a strong oil odor was coming from the vehicle. In addition, while reversing the vehicle, the contact noticed a small puddle of oil leaking from the vehicle. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or diagnosed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Oct 022012

Camry

Excessive oil consumption I own a 2008 Toyota Camry le the currant mileage is 149,000 miles. It burns one quart of oil every 250 miles, and it's costing me a lot of a money. This problem is not only from me their are much more people complaining online. In addition to that their is lawsuit against Toyota because of excessive oil consumption. The government needs to take action and make this a recall for all vehicles that are affected. I also feel very sorry for the other owners because I know how it feels, so please help. Thanks

- Falls Church, VA, USA

Sep 072015

Camry

Purchased a used 2008 Camry on 7/15/15. The car was serviced for the oil change right before I got it and I still had over 900 miles left before I hit the 3000 mile mark to have the oil change done. We checked the oil and it was completely dry. Not a drip on the dip stick! I think it's safe to say that this vehicle has a engine oil consumption issue.

- Wrightsville, PA, USA

Jun 212015

Camry

Golf size hole in the engine according to the adjustor. Incident occurred while driving on the highway. The car was serviced on time. The oil light used to come on occasion along with the engine light. This was within service sticker window. Each time oil (1qt to 2qt) was added to the tank. On the date of incident, while driving, we felt like we drove over a metal object that impacted the engine. Cannot believe that the engine blew up on it own. If it did - that is a major issue as it could have caused unnecessary damages both to vehicle and drivers.

- Newark, DE, USA

Oct 102012

Camry

The vehicle is burning excessive engine oil. I received the paper from Toyota three months ago that they are processing to build the part for the solution of burning excessive oil.(the paper does show about the reacall of excessive engine oil burning they said I will receive the letter in two months to fix the problem from the dealership since then I have not received any letter for the recall.) thanks

- Falls Church, VA, USA