CarComplaints.com Notes: Much like the 2007 model year, which has a higher number of complaints, owners are reporting that their engines are running out of oil awfully quick. As in, 1 quart every 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains that’s with the “normal” operating range of the 2AZ-FE while owners maintain that’s complete BS.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

8.1

$3,456.00

2. replace piston and rings (14 reports)
  3. replaced engine (5 reports)
  4. the car's engine still runs abnormally (1 reports)
2008 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Camry:

2008 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Nov 012014

Camry SE 4 Cly

I have to add a quart of oil at least every 1000 miles

- , Fairfield, OH, USA

Feb 012017

Camry XLE

Toyota knows that their Camry uses excess oil. They have run 3 different oil consumption tests on my car. Each time, they say my car "passes" and does not meet their requirements for excess consumption. These tests have been conducted over a several year period. My car, after only 1,000 miles after the recent oil change, just registered "0" oil when we checked. Toyota will not take responsibility.

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

Feb 012015

Camry LE 2.4L

Definitely disappointed. Not expecting my auto to run forever, but it's been burning oil at about 1100 miles per quart for a while now. Had the oil consumption test done through a Toyato dealership about a year ago, apparently passed. Was told on the down low, that I could try the test again in 6 months. As of feb 2017', still adding oil at that rate. No leaking observed, just burning. smokes a great deal when starting or when it's on the low end. First car we every bought new. Yep.... apparently not the Toyota our parents had. Def hesitant to re up with a Toyota product.

- , Seffner, FL, USA

Feb 102017

Camry XLE 2.4L 4 cyl

I became aware of the problem 02/10/2017. I can not believe my 2008 camry with only 89500 miles with NO issues so far while going down the road, engine light flashing car came to crawl to discover later it had NO oil but my regular schedule oil change WAS NOT even due. I change my oil ever 3000 - 3500 miles since we bought the car in 2010. I fear my car in ruined, it is not running right at all but time will tell. I will keep this site updated on the problem. We all need to share the issue with everyone so Toyota will be made accountable for the issue. My sister has a 2009 camry had EXACTLY same issue two months ago.

- , Brent, AL, USA

Sep 152016

Camry LE 4 cyl

Have a 2008 Toyota Camry LE. I took it in to my local Toyota dealership ( Rome, GA)in September 2016. I was informed by the dealership service manager that it failed the oil consumption test. He then told me that I would be put on a waiting list to have the problem fixed. However, he said it could be 2 years before they could possibly get too it. REALLY ...... Now it's January 26, 2017, I take it back in to have the oil change performed. ( Note - I've been having to put oil in the car every week ). I've been told by the service manager that I'm #31 on his list to have the car repaired. So , I then ask him what # is he on the oil consumption repair list? READ CAREFULLY - HE TELLS ME THAT HE CAN'T TELL ME, THAT EVERY OIL CONSUMPTION. REPAIR HE'S DOING IS #1. What does this sound like you as the reader?

Please fill free too use your imagination in what this dealership is doing to me! I know I'm getting tired of be bent over!

Update from Jan 28, 2017: I have a 2008 Toyota Camry LE. I took it to my local Toyota dealership in September 2016. The service manager informs me that my car failed the oil consumption test. He then tells me that I'm possibly looking at 2 years before they can get to it, REALLY.... Now it's January 2017, I take it in for its oil change. ( Please know that I've been needing to put oil in it every week).

While there, I wanted to know where I was on the list to get my car fixed? The service manager told me my # on the list but he was unable to tell me where he was on the list? He told me that every oil consumption repair he does is #1. DOES THIS MAKE ANY SINCE TO YOU AS THE READER? I feel that this dealership is not being honest with me! Please feel free to use your imagination what you think this dealership is up too!

- , Rome, USA

Apr 012016

Camry LE 2.4L

It's really annoying to see that you haven't even passed 1000km and you would have to fill up oil while you just went and replaced everything. I have been having this issue for a while now and putting it aside till I searched and found that a number of people are having the same issue. I praised Toyota all the time and was thinking to get another one after the one that I have but it seems that I am gonna be shopping around for something different because I don't want to face the same problem and spend so much money on it. This is all extra expenses that I don't need at the moment.

- , Hannon, ON, Canada

Feb 012016

Camry

At some point around 100,000 miles I was shocked to find little or no oil on the dip stick so I started watching it closely. Toyota sent out information regarding engine oil consumption issues very soon after. I was elated that the problem would be fixed. I took the car in to have the problem repaired and was hit with a $1700 bill of prerequisite repairs! Yes, Toyota stated that I had 3 major oil leaks that needed repairing before they would fix the high oil consumption issue. Well the repairs all had to do with oil leaks!!! I am so confused! My oil pan gasket, and my timing cover were both majorly leaking oil. It's weird how there are NEVER oil stains anyplace that I park. Anyways, the only way Toyota would honor the oil consumption issue repair is if I get the other repairs done. Needless to say, it has been a year and I am continuing to keep watch of my oil level. My car only has 134,000 miles and it's ashamed. I am now in the market for a new car, and running far from Toyota! It's sad that my family has purchased this brand since as far back as I remember. Welp, the tradition ends here!

- , Atlanta, GA, USA

Oct 152016

Camry LX 4 Cy

I'm totally disappointed in Toyota and with some of the problems that were found on the model/year of my car ('08' Camry). I had a new 92 Camry (manufactured in Japan) which I kept for years without any major problems and it finally died with 280,000 because of not having any transmission fluid. I believe it would had kept going for another 50,000 easily. Toyota seems to had been in a hurry to push these vehicles through and just make the money on them. I took my car for an oil change (which I do faithfully) and then three weeks later I took it somewhere else for brakes and when I picked it up, I was told that it was down a quart of oil. I mentioned that I had just gotten an oil change. I was told to keep an eye on it, but maybe they didn't put enough oil in it when I had it changed. I then had it checked about 1,000 miles more and it was down another quart. I took it for another oil change and was told that maybe the gasket was leaking. After about another 1,000 miles it was down a quart again. I took it to be checked and the gasket was replaced (costing hundreds of dollars). I was told that that was very strange because I never saw or see any oil spots anywhere. Now I have to add a quart about every 1,000 miles. What a pain and expense. Of course it's my expense!!

- , Antioch, IL, USA

Nov 152011

Camry SE 2.0L

Took to dealer. They said if lost quart of oil in 1300 miles they may fix. My question is why 1300 miles? Oil is changed every 5000 miles not 1300. Not fair.

- , Langhorne, PA, USA

Nov 152016

Camry XSL

Oil light came on while driving. No oil leaking on the car port floor. Took it to the mechanic. He found that there was no oil on the dip stick and explained to me the problem -- excessive oil consumption due to a flaw in the motor construction by Toyota and there was no fix. Suggested I buy another car. Won't be Toyota if they treat customers this way. Not really pleased with the dealership either.

- , Fredericksburg, TX, USA

Oct 072016

Camry SE cyl 2.4L

Have not had my oil consumption problem fixed - been 2 weeks since notified of issue. I know my options are to get it fixed (costly), monitor the oil dipstick & add oil as needed (annoying) or buy a new vehicle...What does one do when vehicle is a 2008 and has over 131k on it?

- , Sun Prairie, WI, USA

Feb 012016

Camry LE

The engine oil light flashed on back in February on my way to work, and when I checked it later in the day, oil did not even register on the dipstick. It took two quarts of oil to bring the level back into the normal operating range. Since then, I have had to replace a quart of oil every 500 miles. I love my Camry, but this is really costing me a lot of money...one quart at a time.

- , Russell, PA, USA

Dec 072015

Camry LE 4 cyl

Went back for results of Excessive Oil Consumption Test> FAILED, WAS TOLD NO PRATS TO FIX JUST KEEP ADDING OIL EVERY 1,000 MILES. bILL WAS 62.30 i THINK THEY PICKED UP THE TAB FOR THE COST OF OIL CHANGE!

Oct 062015

Camry LE 4 cyl

I was in dealership for brake check, it cost $269.77 I again asked for help on the oil consumption problem was told about the test, and asked that they do it. It was iniciated. wasa tlf the engine had been sealed to drive 1000 miles and bring it back , not to add oil in the meantime.

May 302015

Camry LE 4 cyl

Was there for another regular service , oil change etx. I had mentioned Yet again how many times I had to add oil, often going by tthere, when in the area , having them check and add oil. The notes in the service request was"ES5 vEHICLE HAS BEEN HERE MULTIPLE TIMES WITH EXTREMELY LOW OIL LEVELS"sTILL NOTHING DONE ABOUT THE PROBLEM EXCEPT TELING ME TO CHECK THE OIL OFTEN

Mar 292014

Camry LE 4 cyl

Had taken toThey said couldn"t find anything wrong. Finally I went in told them if I had accident and it did not activate I was going to place a suit against them, the service advisor said lets take a ride. He said this sounds like low Oil pressure. When we got back to the dealership we checked the oil , it did not show up on the dip stick. I had an oil change that day although it had also been done @ 65588 miles in December 12 only 3,743 miles in between.. THEY DID NOT TELL ME ANYTHING ABOUT THE EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION OIL PROBLEM AT THIS TIME!EVEN THOUGH THE SERVICE ADVISOR TYPED IN LOW ON OIL, CHECK HOW MUCH DRAINS, REPLY WAS 1 QT DRAINED!

Jun 012014

Camry 4 cyl

Have taken my car to Toyota in Burnsville, Mn at least 3 times for oil usage test over two years and been told the usage is acceptable. this last 6 weeks I have added 3 quarts of oil to my car or it runs poorly due to low oil level. Toyota says they do a reverse test. They measure what is added, not what is lost(dip stick).

- , Saint Paul, MN, US

Jan 012014

Camry LE

I went to the TOYOTA dealer because I received a notification by mail indicating that the dealer can do an oil consumption test and if my car is using excessive oil they will fix it. Well, they told me that yes, the car is using a lot of oil (something that I knew already), but that they can not fix it because they did not have the parts that the car needs and that they don't know when are they going to receive them!

I am afraid of using my car for long distances because it could use excessive oil in a trip and If I don't have oil it could damage the engine which means thousands of dollars!

Nobody helps me! I can't afford to buy another car...

- , Lorain, OH, USA

Mar 312015

Camry LE

Bought a used 08 Camry LE from a Toyota dealership for my daughter as she was in college. I thought we were getting a great car as I have had Toyotas prior to this vehicle with great results. She drove the car for about two years and it began using oil. This really concerned me because I was afraid something was wrong with the engine.

When we received the recall letter about the oil consumption for the 08 Camry's, I thought, great! Answer to my prayers! Not so at all. She took it in for the oil consumption test and the Toyota dealership said it failed. I asked them how was that possible since I knew the car was using a lot of oil. We had been checking the oil and it would be 2 to 3 quarts low every 1200 miles or less!

The lady from Toyota dealership told me "every car uses oil"? I'm thinking yes - to operate but no car should be using excessive oil!!??? I also told her that I had owned two Toyotas prior to this that never used oil. I couldn't believe she said that. I then asked what were my options since I knew the car used excessive oil. She said I had to call "Corporate" and that the dealership could only fix the car if Corporate told the dealership they could.

I called corporate and the lady that answered was rude insisting the test was accurate - I told her I had no idea what that test involved, since I wasn't a mechanic but I knew when an oil stick was almost dry and low and when a car needed oil!! I told her I would not buy another Toyota and I was highly disappointed that Toyota was not correcting this recall problem.

By reading the other complaints on the exact same problem, it appears that other people are getting mistreated and lied to as well. Shame on you Toyota - I used to swear that a Toyota vehicle was a good dependable vehicle - NOT SO ANYMORE - Toyota is not standing by their product nor correcting it. They are losing customers and apparently it doesn't matter to them. This would be a costly fix and I am more than frustrated!!!!

- , Oglethorpe, GA, USA

Oct 012015

Camry XLE 3.2L

The car made a ‘ding’ sound when the brakes were applied while it was being driven. Upon checking, I noticed that the engine oil was extremely low - the dip stick showed no oil on it. I was alarmed and immediately added 3 quarts of oil - for oil to show up on the dip stick. At first, I figured that, maybe at the previous oil change, sufficient oil was not added. Soon thereafter, I got an oil change; this time I made sure, that there was adequate oil.

About 3 months later I began to hear the ‘ding’ sound again. I checked the oil and found that it was low and again it did not even register on the dip stick. I added 3 quarts of oil and proceeded to get an oil change; this time with Tansky Toyota dealership. Three months later, the problem recurred. This time I was concerned and checked all the mail I had received from Toyota and noticed a warranty enhancement letter that stated - 2008 Camry’s had an ‘oil consumption problem’. As the car was close to the 150,000 mile limit, I immediately went to Tansky Toyota dealership and reported the problem and they began an ‘oil consumption test’. After the test, they told me that there was no problem and that it was a normal occurrence.

Clearly, I was not convinced with the report and challenged the adviser. He remained adamant that there was no problem and that the test result was normal. I emphasized that I own other Toyota cars presently and in the past and never had this problem. He responded that per Toyota guideline, there is no problem; he told me to check and add oil as needed regularly.

I contacted the General Manager of Tansky, Ms. Joanna Williams. She had the Service Manager, Mr. Mark Matthews, call back a week later. Mr. Matthews never acknowledged that the car had an ‘oil consumption problem’; rather that this is a normal occurrence and advised that the oil be replenished on a regular basis. I responded that, this was something that I have never done on the other Toyota’s cars I own; but my words fell on deaf ears. I felt like there was no desire to address a customer’s genuine concern but rather Mr. Matthews kept justifying the test result. He appeared to be insensitive and unwilling to listen to my concerns but kept interrupting me, and at times was even rude on the phone. I am concerned that this issue will damage the engine; in addition the problem is a safety issue, should the oil be depleted while on long distance trips.

This is not the kind of service that I expected from a Toyota dealership. I am disappointed with the treatment from Tansky Toyota.

- , Columbus, OH, USA