CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2008 Camry has our “Seal of Pretty Good” but consider it tentative now that there’s an emerging excessive oil consumption problem trend.

Much like the 2007 model year, which has a higher number of complaints, owners are reporting that their engines are running out of oil awfully quick. As in, 1 quart every 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains that’s with the “normal” operating range of the 2AZ-FE while owners maintain that’s complete BS.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

8.2

$3,000.00

2. replace piston and rings (3 reports)
  3. replaced engine (3 reports)
2008 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Camry:

2008 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jan 152012

Camry XLE 2.5L

my 2008 toyota camry has been consuming about 2quarts of oil in between oil changes. Took it to the dealer and asked them if it was a recall and they stated that this was normal. I told them i have a Tundra and i dont have to keep adding oil to that truck. Never have i heard that you have to add oil to any car before your service date.

- , Ontario, CA, USA

Jan 152012

Camry XLE 2.5L

- , Ontario, CA, USA

May 252012

Camry LE 4s

My Toyota Camry I purchased due to expected reliability. I bought it used with very low mileage expecting it to last to well over 100,000 miles. It has been eating oil ever sine I purchased it. I only drive it 20 miles a day during the work week and it uses 1 quart in only 1000 miles. I though I had a leak, but Mechanics have not been able to find any source of leakage. Why is my car with such low mileage, using so much oil. This should not be happening until near 200,000 miles or greater. Will Toyota come to their senses or will they follow GM???

- , Snellville, GA, USA

May 012014

Camry LE 2az-Fe

Hello everyone,

We are Toyota fans and have only purchased Toyota cars and trucks. For the most part, there are no complaints - everything worked as they should have.

However, it all changed when I purchased the 08 Camry for my wife. Since the last 5 years, we have being adding almost a 1/4 and oil every month on the month [1000mi]. I am afraid that we will miss one month and ruin the engine.

Toyota needs to address this problem with the 2AZ-FE engines.

Note. I am using Royal Purple Oil and Filter

- , Englewood, NJ, USA

Nov 242011

Camry LE 2.4L

JUST I'M REALLY DISAPPOINTED LIKE THE OTHERS. EVERY 15 DAYS I HAVE TU PUT 3 QUART'S OF OIL MOTOR. BUT MY GUESS, TOYOTA MOTOR KNEW THIS PROBLEM BEFORE THEY PUT THIS MODEL IN THE MARKET. THEY HAVE TO BE RESPONSIBLE IN THIS VERY SERIOUS ISSUE. PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP US

- , Huntsville, TX, USA

Apr 012014

Camry L 2.8L, V4

The oil was empty when is due to the oil change, it first happened around 60,000 miles. I did not noticed until 75,000 thousand miles oil change, the Mechanic told me that it is the common problem all of the Toyata Camy 08 has. Right now I still run without fixing it, hopefully Toyota company will send out recall. But I am afraid that they will not admit that defective, and I will end up with to pay around $700 for correcting that problem. If I did not receive any of compensation for this defective, I definitely will not buy any Toyota Brand name from now on !!!!

- , Westminster, CA, USA

Feb 142014

Camry LE 2.4L

I will never purchase a Toyota again in my life. I have had my 2008 Toyota Camry for three years, every time I would get my oil changed I would be told that my oil was low which I would have to change my oil every 3,000 miles because of the low oil issue. But as of Feb 2014, my car began to make a real horrible noise and to come to find out I had to replace my engine. That is not good to have to replace a engine in a 2008 car. Toyota knows for a fact that these cars are not any good but they are not trying to help there customers out at all and that is just wrong.

I really thought that I was doing a good thing by purchasing a Toyota but it end up being a night mare for me!!!!! Because of the problems I have been having from this car I think they need to recall the cars because they are a piece of CRAP..... I would suggest that no one never ever purchase a Toyota because everyone I know with a Toyota around 2007 and up have been having different problems from those cars. I AM SO DISAPPOINTED WITH TOYOTA FOR THE MAKE OF THESE CARS, THEY HAVE SCREWED A LOT OF PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

Oct 012013

Camry XLE 2.4L

2008 Toyota Camry SUCKS - and I mean oil! A quart a week or 200 miles, whichever comes first. We have an older (2003) Camry we love so we bought another, now we have the two. Never had a problem with 2003, but the 2008 has numerous issues - the worst being it uses oil constantly, with no sign of where it's going. Thanks Toyota for doing nothing. I can't wait to dump this car on someone else and go to the Subaru dealer for a new car. Never a Toyota again!

- , Racine, WI, USA

Apr 012010

Camry LE 2.5L

I purchased a 2008 Toyota Camry with 4 miles on it.... I would go get my oil changed and was told I am about a quart low. I had no idea that the car was burning so much oil. The dealership never mentioned anything to me about it.

On 11/22/13 I was driving and the check engine light came on and the car started shaking and lost power to the engine, even though I was accelerating. Pulled over, turned the vehicle off and it started back up and drove normal. Then later on that evening it did the same thing earlier and that's when the check engine light stayed on.

I brought it in to the Toyota dealership, the light said misfire. Changed the spark plugs on it but the code kept reading misfire. After further diagnostics I was told that the Pistons were not moving and the oil was not circulating properly from the piston to the seal. I could add an additive to the car and run it for 2 hrs to clean up the soot buildup in the engine to see if the piston would start moving.

The dealership informed me that this was a common problem with that model and engine. I couldn't believe it... I was never even informed about the problem or else I would have had the problem fixed!!!!

- , Kansas City, MO, USA

Jan 152014

Camry LE

I had the same issue with my camry 2008. This issue needs to recall due to our SAFETY.

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Sep 232013

Camry XLE V4

I own the 2008 Camry XLE. The maintenance required soon message would come on I would take it in for an oil change. Started happening more and more than switched to the low engine oil pressure message. Dealership dropped the mileage down for oil change to see if that helped......it did not. I had the oil changed on August 10, 2013........just had to refill it on September 23 ! Totally unacceptable especially since I was told that Toyota knows about the problem with this year Camry ! I contacted Toyota with this complaint and questioned them on why there has not been a recall. I was told that recalls are done according to how many complaints they receive and they gave me a claim number. Everyone who is dealing with this needs to contact Toyota with the complaint and get a claim number. You can reach them at 800-331-4331. Please pass this on to anyone else who may be dealing with this issue. Since Toyota knows this problem exists there should be a recall to fix it immediately !

- , New Castle, Delaware, USA

Sep 142013

Camry LE 2.3L

I bought a 2008 Toyota Camry LE brand new and have had no issues with it until I got to the 50,000 mile mark and started to notice engine issues. It was diagnosed with an excessive oil consumption problem and I have been advised by Toyota that they will pay $3,100 and I am to pay $500 for their problem with this motor instead of them taking full responsibility.The extended warranty company through which I purchased for over 2,000 dollars for a 7 year, 100k extended warranty,advised me that oil consumption correction will not be covered, it is excluded under this warranty. I am extremely disappointed that Toyota is not standing by their product and taking care of their valued customers. My parents also have a 2008 Toyota Camry experiencing the same problem. I will not recommend anyone I know to buy from Toyota. In fact, the next time I buy a car, it will be a Honda or a Nissan.

- , Marietta, GA, USA

Oct 012011

Camry

I have a 2002, 2007,camry with no problems, BUT the 2008 camry which has only been serviced by toyota dealer has a severe oil consumption with no leaks or smoke from tail pipe, and dealer tells me they cant find a problem so it must be in the engine. I have always been a loyal customer and swore by Toyota, but guess it's a wrap now will never by another Toyota. And Toyota has really disappointed me by not standing by their products shame on them I will never buy another or recommend and if I was to see someone getting ready to buy a 2008 I would tell them don't do it and tell reason why. SHAME ON TOYOTA!!!!!!

- , Burlington, NC, USA

Dec 012011

Camry LE

my mom bought a 2007 Camry with 110,000. in the last year have found that the engine uses all the oil before 3000 miles. 1/31/13 the oil light turned on & when we checked had no oil. we went to change the oil and they tell us we were lucky that the engine will not be damaged.if anyone have a clue and could help us thank you.

- , Norcross, GA, USA

May 242013

Camry XLE 2.4L

I purchased a 2008 Camry XLE with 48,000 miles, with factory warranty still. The car was serviced at the dealership since it was purchased, and had always been maintained there according to all the records. One day my wife advised me to check the oil before going for a trip, and to my surprise the oil was very low, and we have only driven 3800 after our last service. I could not believe it, the first thing I imagined was that they forgot to pour enough oil... I called the dealership and they wanted to take a look, and they actually weren't surprised and they seemed confident that it was an oil consumption problem. That day they had to pour almost 1.5 quarts of oil, in less than 4,000 miles. But, to my biggest surprise yet, is that they told me that it was "normal". I couldn't stop shaking my head, Toyota was saying that it was normal for an engine with 61k miles, or any engine and mileage as the matter of fact, to consume 1 quart in 1200 miles, yes 1200!! They performed an oil test, and they sure poured about an extra 1/4 quart more inside that engine to made it look better when they open the hood next time. Still, when I went back at 1200 miles, the engine had smoked about half a quart. I am very disappointed at Toyota. To my surprise I have found a lot of complains on the internet about this problem. They said that they couldn't do anything since the warranty had expired. I had a feeling that the dealerships know about this issue but they will not let you know, they will just pour more oil to that sucker so they do not have to deal with this problem while on warranty. It is very shameful and unethical that they did not do a recall.

- , Ocala, FL, USA

Apr 152013

Camry LE 2.4L

I had leased a brand new Toyota Camry 2008 and bought back after lease expiry. I always did oil change with Toyota dealership on every 5000 KM. Never realized that my Camry is burning oil as I had never checked the oil level. One of my friend has 2009 Camry who told me about the oil burning problem in his Camry. I then start checking and was shocked to know that my Camry is also burning oil. I have 128000KM on it. This has tarnished my faith in Toyota Camry. It is hard to believe that Toyota is not aware of this very common problem in their cars. I feel betrayed as I spent lot of money on this car which is not going to last without spending even more money on its engine. Toyota lost their one more loyal customer.

- , Mississauga, ON, canada

Feb 092012

Camry LE 2.4L

I purchased my car new with 12 miles on it in 2008. My car was always services by the toyota dealership i purchased it from until about 50,000 miles. I decided to take it to a local shop since the nearest dealership is about 50 miles away from me. This is when i found out my car was burning oil at about 1 qt every 1000k miles. They even used a thicker oil 5/20 and it was still doing the same thing. So i took it to the toyota dealership and they offered to do an oil consumption test. After the test was done. I received a report that my car was consuming oil. I was informed that they were going to put together a case for my car and they will get back with me when they receive an answer back form the report. I called the toyota dealership every week for a month and half and was told they were still waiting for an answer. Finally I called back again and i was told that my car wasn't burning enough oil for them to cover the repair. I was told to bring my car in for another test. After i took my car back in for the second test. I decided to research the oil consumption on google and i was surprised that so many people were having the same problem with their car and with the dealership. If anyone finds out any information that can help with this problem. PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I had a 1993 camry with 260,000 miles before i got rid of it due to transmission problems. This was a great car and never had to put oil in it between oil changes. I am very disappointment with toyota and will never buy another one ever.

- , Brooksville, FL, USA

May 082012

Camry LE

Did not expected this kind of problem from Toyota. as per toyota dealer, pistons & rings needs to be replaced. Good bye Toyota forever.

- , Hoffman Estates, IL, USA

Jan 012012

Camry LE 4-cyl

2008 Camry LE - At 61k miles car started consuming oil at an alarming rate, approximately one quart every 1500 miles. No help from manufacturer, they state that anything less than one quart per 1200 miles is normal.

I used to have a lot of faith in the reliability of Toyota, no more.

- , Sugar Hill, GA, USA

Dec 052011

Camry ES 2.4L

THE NEXT TIME THE DEALER TELLS YOU THAT IT'S NORMAL THAT YOUR CAR BURNS 1 LITRE PER 800 KLMS. THAT WOULD MEAN THE NEXT OIL CHANGE JUST SAY FILL HER UP, THE OIL FILTER IS ONLY THERE FOR ENVIRONMENTAL REASONS.

- , Valleyfield, Quebec, Canada