CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2008 Camry has our “Seal of Pretty Good” but consider it tentative now that there’s an emerging excessive oil consumption problem trend.

Much like the 2007 model year, which has a higher number of complaints, owners are reporting that their engines are running out of oil awfully quick. As in, 1 quart every 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains that’s with the “normal” operating range of the 2AZ-FE while owners maintain that’s complete BS.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

8.4

$4,333.00

2. replace piston and rings (7 reports)
  3. replaced engine (4 reports)
2008 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Camry:

2008 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Dec 012013

Camry LS 4

This is my 3rd Camry & the worst of them. I noticed it was burning oil & I was constantly taking it back to Jiffy Lube in between the 5k oil change. I was told that it was because of my high mileage and that I should use synthetic oil. Changed the type of oil & the problem still occurred. I stopped going to Jiffy Lube & tried Merchants. They refused to change my oil because the level was too low.

Went to dealer... They told me to come back every 1k miles to do an analysis. That was ridiculous & obsessive....considering I could do 1k miles in 2-3 weeks because of my work commute. The problem continues & it's worse. I'm adding oil weekly. It's a headache & after researching, it's a common problem that Toyota should fix. I'm researching other vehicles because this is my last Camry.

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

Jul 282012

Camry SE 4 cyl

When the problem started, I had just changed the oil from the dealer. I was told when the car was acting up from another source, that I had no oil, lucky that this was caught in time. The car since had not been as much as a problem, until today. I started my car and a loud knocking noise came from my car and rough idling turned off the car. I checked the oil to find out it was just about empty. I always had my car in for servicing when your suppose to and the dealer never told me about the oil problems. This sucks.

- , Harrison, Ohio, USA

Aug 112014

Camry ES

I have recently noticed that my car is buring an excessive amount of oil in between oil changes. Enough that I have to have it topped off every month or so. I am afraid of my car stalling out or causing more damage if my oil gets low and I don't notice it. It is becoming a pain to keep track of.

- , Glendale Heights, IL, USA

Nov 012014

Camry SE 2.4L V4

I was always sure Toyota is the most reliable car make, but not anymore. Now I'm consistently worried about the oil in the engine :(

- , Thornhill, Ontario, canada

Jun 012014

Camry XLE 2.4L I4

I bought a used 2008 Toyota Camry XLE. It looks like it was well documented with oil change receipts. I bought the car in September 2013 with 78k miles on it. The car runs great and this is first semi luxury car I owned with leather interior. I love it. I have always driven old cars so I was very excited to buy this car. My 15 year old, 1998 corolla was total loss in a fender bender so I got good replacement value from the insurance. I added $8k from my savings and decided to buy a Camry. How can I go wrong with a reliable Toyota? I was so wrong and now I have no faith in any manufacturer. This is a dog eat dog world.

I loved my Camry until one day only few months after buying the car there was a low oil pressure light showed on the display. I could not believe it. I thought there was oil leak so looked where I had parked the car to see any oil. There was none. I opened the hood to check for any oil around the engine. There was nothing. Everything looked very dry. I researched internet and I came to find out that 2008 Camry's have excessive oil consumption problem due to design defect. I have found two reasons: one is the piston rings are not designed correctly and other is oil pump does not have the capacity to pull enough oil to lubricate all engine parts which results in piston problems and eventually complete failure. The only solution is to replace the rings but if there is damage to other parts, which is very likely, then piston or the whole engine needs to be replaced. The cost can be $2500 for a used engine plus installation. After spending close to $5k you probably still won't have a complete fix. The used engine you buy most likely have the same problem. So you will be chasing your tail trying to fix a problem that is not fixable. The best solution is to sell it to a dealer or at a auction and go buy a Nissan or a VW.

My car is out of Warranty and I am stuck with this junk. I hope it keeps running as long as I keep the oil topped off. However, I think it's wishful thinking. I did not except this from Toyota. I am doing my part by letting anyone I know to stay clear of Toyota and even Lexus.

- , Rock, MD, USA

Dec 132014

Camry LE 4 cyl

I bought the Toyota Camry zero miles on Jan 2008. I have been taking the car always to the same dealership and always on time for the oil and filter change. I cannot believe that the car in good shape, never had any problems will need to replace the oil pistons and rings because is burning oil. The car is only 70,000 miles, it should be giving that kind of issues at this point.

The price to fix it $4,500. This is incredible.

I will never, ever, ever buy another Toyota in my life. Ever ...

- , Aldie, Virginia, USA

Oct 202014

Camry SE 2.4L

IT'S MY UNDERSTANDING THAT THE OIL PUMP AND THE SOURCE LINE THAT FEEDS THE MOTOR OIL WAS MANUFACTURED ENTIRELY TO SMALL TO ACCOMMODATE THIS SIZE ENGINE AND CAR.

THE DEALER TOLD ME I NEEDED THEM TO REBUILD MY ENGINE. AFTER GETTING ON THIS WEBSITE NOW I REALIZE WHY. IT'S BECAUSE THE DEALERS WERE ALREADY AWARE OF THIS PROBLEM WITH THE ENGINE CONSUMING TOO MUCH OIL.

I HOPE THIS CAN BE RESOLVED, AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

BY THE WAY THIS IS THE SECOND TIME I NEED ANOTHER ENGINE. ahhhhh WHAT A FEELING.

:( Toyota):

- , Vacherie, LA, USA

Sep 182014

Camry

Driving home the daily 30 minute/10 mile run in my 2008 Camry with 47,379 miles on it, my check engine light goes on. Since I hadn't met the 3000 mile mileage requirement for an oil change I wasn't concerned about that. WRONG!!! On the way home I stopped to get an engine diagnosis. My car had consumed all but 1 quart of the 4.3 quarts it held . There were no indications by engine sounds or performance that anything was wrong.

Come to find out that this is a "common occurrence "in Camrys with my engine model. The diagnosis alone is $250+, just to check what might be the problem, I will be charged $2000 for the breakdown of the engine not including repairs. They are doing an excessive oil use check that I pay for, to prove to the dealer/manufacturer it really is using oil excessively. They have sealed the unit so it can't be tampered with so I can't even add oil for 1200 miles.

Repair estimates are around 3,500. I thought I had invested in a reliable car- buyers beware!!!

- , Fullerton, CA, USA

Mar 012013

Camry SE 2.4L

This has been such a pain in the ass to constantly spend money on oil changes and buying excessive oil just to keep my vehicle working.

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Aug 072014

Camry LE 2.4L 4 cyl

Let me be brief and concise when I say I will NEVER buy another Toyota product again and I will NEVER recommend this car to ANYONE. My car just hit 56,000 miles and it's been completely burning through its entire supply of oil between oil changes. I have to add a quart every month just to keep the car running. This is ridiculous! I've taken the car back to the dealer for an oil consumption test just for them to say this is normal. Just look at all the complaints online Toyota for the 2AZ-FE engine. is that normal?? This is pure rubbish and I'm joining a class action lawsuit.

Please, Please share this link with everyone you know that has this car and has this problem. Its about time this issue gets addressed.

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

May 012012

Camry LE 2.4L

On 10/16/2010 I purchased a Toyota Camry with 24,713 miles on the odometer. This was to be the car that would last me through my retirement years. All my friends advised me that a Camry would be the best car for me and I loved the car. It drove like a dream.

In the spring of 2012 I started having problems with my oil light coming on. My car had reached about the 55,000 mile mark when I first knew something was wrong, I could not believe it when my oil light came on and I drove to the nearest station for them to check it. There was no oil showing on the dip stick. They filled it up with oil and I took it back to the shop that had last changed my oil to check for leaks. They found no leaks and it was not smoking but the oil was just disappearing. The mechanic just could not figure it out. I contacted the dealer where I purchased the car (since I had an extended warranty for 7yrs or 100,000 miles) They advised me that it was acceptable for the car to use oil and that unless it used more than 1.1 quarts every 6oo miles then they could not do anything. I even had several oil consumption tests run and it was not losing enough oil by their standards and I was told that there was nothing they could do.

Now I am a nervous wreck trying to keep oil in my car. I don’t even see why I should have to change the darn oil if I am having to put new oil in it every 600 – 800 miles. I just feel like giving up. I don’t have the money to hire a lawyer and I don’t have the money to buy a new car. I owe too much to trade it. I feel like I have royally been ripped off! If you can help me please email me with advice. I am 63 years old and don’t need this stress in my life! My car now has approx 94000 miles on it and nearing the end of my extended warranty.

- , Fletcher, MC, USA

Jan 152012

Camry XLE 2.5L

my 2008 toyota camry has been consuming about 2quarts of oil in between oil changes. Took it to the dealer and asked them if it was a recall and they stated that this was normal. I told them i have a Tundra and i dont have to keep adding oil to that truck. Never have i heard that you have to add oil to any car before your service date.

- , Ontario, CA, USA

May 252012

Camry LE 4s

My Toyota Camry I purchased due to expected reliability. I bought it used with very low mileage expecting it to last to well over 100,000 miles. It has been eating oil ever sine I purchased it. I only drive it 20 miles a day during the work week and it uses 1 quart in only 1000 miles. I though I had a leak, but Mechanics have not been able to find any source of leakage. Why is my car with such low mileage, using so much oil. This should not be happening until near 200,000 miles or greater. Will Toyota come to their senses or will they follow GM???

- , Snellville, GA, USA

May 012014

Camry LE 2az-Fe

Hello everyone,

We are Toyota fans and have only purchased Toyota cars and trucks. For the most part, there are no complaints - everything worked as they should have.

However, it all changed when I purchased the 08 Camry for my wife. Since the last 5 years, we have being adding almost a 1/4 and oil every month on the month [1000mi]. I am afraid that we will miss one month and ruin the engine.

Toyota needs to address this problem with the 2AZ-FE engines.

Note. I am using Royal Purple Oil and Filter

- , Englewood, NJ, USA

Jul 302013

Camry V4

Car drinks oil as much as humans drink water, contacted Toyota and it's normal a car that is over 5 years old. They suggested that in order to stop this I should replace my engine which cost around $ 7000 or replace my pistons for around $ 5000.WHO IN THE WORLD CAN AFFORD THIS? NONE OF THE MILLIONS OF HARD WORKING CITIZENS IN THE US WORKING OVER 40 HOURS A WEEK JUST TO MAKE END MEET.

- , st Petersburg, Florida, USA

Nov 242011

Camry LE 2.4L

JUST I'M REALLY DISAPPOINTED LIKE THE OTHERS. EVERY 15 DAYS I HAVE TU PUT 3 QUART'S OF OIL MOTOR. BUT MY GUESS, TOYOTA MOTOR KNEW THIS PROBLEM BEFORE THEY PUT THIS MODEL IN THE MARKET. THEY HAVE TO BE RESPONSIBLE IN THIS VERY SERIOUS ISSUE. PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP US

- , Huntsville, TX, USA

Apr 012014

Camry L 2.8L, V4

The oil was empty when is due to the oil change, it first happened around 60,000 miles. I did not noticed until 75,000 thousand miles oil change, the Mechanic told me that it is the common problem all of the Toyata Camy 08 has. Right now I still run without fixing it, hopefully Toyota company will send out recall. But I am afraid that they will not admit that defective, and I will end up with to pay around $700 for correcting that problem. If I did not receive any of compensation for this defective, I definitely will not buy any Toyota Brand name from now on !!!!

- , Westminster, CA, USA

Feb 142014

Camry LE 2.4L

I will never purchase a Toyota again in my life. I have had my 2008 Toyota Camry for three years, every time I would get my oil changed I would be told that my oil was low which I would have to change my oil every 3,000 miles because of the low oil issue. But as of Feb 2014, my car began to make a real horrible noise and to come to find out I had to replace my engine. That is not good to have to replace a engine in a 2008 car. Toyota knows for a fact that these cars are not any good but they are not trying to help there customers out at all and that is just wrong.

I really thought that I was doing a good thing by purchasing a Toyota but it end up being a night mare for me!!!!! Because of the problems I have been having from this car I think they need to recall the cars because they are a piece of CRAP..... I would suggest that no one never ever purchase a Toyota because everyone I know with a Toyota around 2007 and up have been having different problems from those cars. I AM SO DISAPPOINTED WITH TOYOTA FOR THE MAKE OF THESE CARS, THEY HAVE SCREWED A LOT OF PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

Oct 012013

Camry XLE 2.4L

2008 Toyota Camry SUCKS - and I mean oil! A quart a week or 200 miles, whichever comes first. We have an older (2003) Camry we love so we bought another, now we have the two. Never had a problem with 2003, but the 2008 has numerous issues - the worst being it uses oil constantly, with no sign of where it's going. Thanks Toyota for doing nothing. I can't wait to dump this car on someone else and go to the Subaru dealer for a new car. Never a Toyota again!

- , Racine, WI, USA

Apr 012010

Camry LE 2.5L

I purchased a 2008 Toyota Camry with 4 miles on it.... I would go get my oil changed and was told I am about a quart low. I had no idea that the car was burning so much oil. The dealership never mentioned anything to me about it.

On 11/22/13 I was driving and the check engine light came on and the car started shaking and lost power to the engine, even though I was accelerating. Pulled over, turned the vehicle off and it started back up and drove normal. Then later on that evening it did the same thing earlier and that's when the check engine light stayed on.

I brought it in to the Toyota dealership, the light said misfire. Changed the spark plugs on it but the code kept reading misfire. After further diagnostics I was told that the Pistons were not moving and the oil was not circulating properly from the piston to the seal. I could add an additive to the car and run it for 2 hrs to clean up the soot buildup in the engine to see if the piston would start moving.

The dealership informed me that this was a common problem with that model and engine. I couldn't believe it... I was never even informed about the problem or else I would have had the problem fixed!!!!

- , Kansas City, MO, USA