CarComplaints.com Notes: Much like the 2007 model year, which has a higher number of complaints, owners are reporting that their engines are running out of oil awfully quick. As in, 1 quart every 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains that’s with the “normal” operating range of the 2AZ-FE while owners maintain that’s complete BS.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

2. replace piston and rings (9 reports)
  3. replaced engine (5 reports)
2008 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Camry:

2008 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 152014

Camry SE 2.4L

My car started using massive amounts of oil all of a sudden a year ago October. No lights indicated low oil nor did the check engine light come on. The car never registered hot even though the first two times this happened, I knew because of the stench of burning coming from my car as I drove to work.

In January/February of 2015, I received the notification of the Warranty Enhancement Package for excessive oil use. The notification stated a fix was coming... to expect it by May. It also noted coverage of any additional out of pocket expenses that would occur in that time. So, I took my car for the consumption test (as directed). My car failed miserably. I was told to wait... something would come in the mail soon. Faithfully, I put oil into my car... one quart every 500 miles. I kept the receipts from all the purchased oil and waited. May came and went.

In June 2015, I called the dealership from which I purchased my car... Dan Cava Toyota in Fairmont, WV. I was told to wait... that they hadn't heard anything. So, I continued to put oil in my car. In the meantime, I was told my just of one year old spark plugs looked as if they were 5 years old (from all the burning oil). I called Dan Cava Toyota again in July 2015. Again, I was told they had heard nothing.

A week before school started for me and my two teenage boys (who are also involved in fall sports), I called Dan Cava Toyota again... Still nothing. I explained that my life would be constant running all fall due to work and my boys' participation in fall sports. I expressed my concern of how many miles I had put on the car while waiting... at this point, already approaching 20,000. I was told to check back in a week or two if I hadn't heard anything. A couple of weeks passed. I decided to call the Toyota corporation directly.

When I spoke to customer service, they explained to me that the part had indeed been available since May 2015. The representative placed me on hold and called Dan Cava Toyota. She returned to say that she had spoken to the service department and they had not ordered my part. She said she didn't understand why they had not, but not to worry... that Todd from the service department ordered it while she was on the phone. She assured me that the part would be in within two weeks and Todd would be calling me when it came in. Two weeks come and go and no call.

I call Dan Cava Toyota and ask for Todd. Todd says he tried to call me once, although I have no record of a missed number from Dan Cava Toyota or a voicemail message. I let it go and make the appointment to have my car fixed asap. It takes them an additional two weeks to get me in. The morning after I drop off my car, I received a call from Todd. They are not going to fix my car because there is oil in my intake valve... I need my seals replaced.

He quotes a repair cost in upwards of $1600... tells me they will not replace my piston ring kit until I pay to have the other damage repaired. I tell them I don't know a lot about cars, but it makes sense to me that running a car 30,000+ miles while guzzling a quart of oil every 500 miles would certainly cause more damage (like my sparkplugs, which they had already refused to replace). The service manager instructed me to call Toyota corporation.. .that they would have to okay any additional repairs. So, I took back the rental and brought home my car with no answers.

The next day, I talk to a my brother, a certified mechanic, that ensures me that all the damage is related and a result of the faulty piston ring. I call Toyota. This time the customer service rep tells me she can do nothing but put notes of my concerns and complaint into my case. She tells me to go back to my dealership... that the service manager needed to contact "region"... that "region" would be the person to make the call as to whether the repairs could be made.

At this point, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I think I did both. I go back to Dan Cava Toyota with my brother. We tell the service manager what the representative said. He tells us he will contact the regional whatever (who he "thinks" she is referring to when she says 'region'). He tells us he will come look at the car and we can meet with him to discuss the next step. That was almost two weeks ago. Last Friday, the service manager called me asking for my case #. I gave it to him (having documentation of all the calls I have made over the last year).

This morning, the service manager called me to tell me that the 'region' looked at my case and wants me to have the other repairs made before they will replace the piston ring kit. However, if my car is still consuming excessive oil after that, they will replace the kit and refund my money. I laughed. I told him I didn't trust them at all. That I would be taking whatever action I needed to make sure Toyota and Dan Cava Toyota does what is right. I can honestly say I am sickened by this while ordeal. 13 months I have been dealing with this... running in circles and jumping through hoops. Something needs to be done.

Can anyone help? How can they say that running a car for a year that is consuming at least a quart of oil every 500 miles hasn't caused other damage???? How can they make this my responsibility? All I want is a safe, reliable car to drive to work and to transport my children to and from school, practices, and games. Who knows what other damage has been done to the engine!

- , Philippi, USA

Nov 012014

Camry SE 2.4L

I've noticed the engine oil on the low side every time I get the oil changed...It appears to have started a year ago. It's probably down a couple of quarts between oil changes!

Has anyone found a solution?

- , Calgary, AB, Canada

Jan 022015

Camry LX 3.2L

I am really worried that such a fairly used car is highly consuming engine oil.

Dec 042014

Camry V4

The problem started a few months ago when my car started releasing smoke at first it was only a small amount, over time the smoke amount keep increasing and funny because on February 2015 Toyota mailed a recall to get my vehicle check for recall to get test for "Excessive Oil Consumption test" huh interesting.

Went to Toyota dealership and the service Representative was rude when I mention my concern he right away stated nothing was wrong with my car without the test not even beginning yet. He assumed the smoke was not related to the recall. I was advised to go back between 1000-1300 Miles to check the oil consumption, but unfortunately the representative made a mistake and had written the wrong mileage so I went over 2000 miles.

I went back to the dealership and they still perform the test after I went over the required miles. The next day I called different Toyota dealerships to research more about the test and they told me is required to get the test redone if the 1000-1300 miles go over for the test to be done properly.

I'm so dissatisfied with Toyota I'm so not buying an other vehicle from them again. They lie to me, I just to trust their vehicles now I don't I'm losing my trust on them and I'm finding out they want people's money for their own factory's mistakes and is not fair. My car is a 2008 vehicle not a new car but not an old vehicle my family have older models different brands and have no problems that all. I hope Toyota gets to pay all consumers for this and fix our cars.

- , Orange, CA, USA

May 232015

Camry LE

Just before I was supposed to change oil, I went and checked and it was practically gone! We never had that issue before. Now I am concerned.

- , Wausau, WI, USA

Apr 072015

The oil consumption with Camry stays way below the quart measuring on the dip stick. I checked it again after 1,000 miles as per Toyota service dept and the oil was 1/2 quart low. Now after another 1,000 miles the oil is down to 1/2 qt. only on the dip stick, I feel Toyota is responsible for this issue.

- , Bakersfield, CA, USA

Jul 302014

Camry LS 3.2L

I just returned from the local Toyota dealer and was informed my car used just under one quart of oil during the consumption test and thus does not qualify for a fix! I will be contacting Toyota regarding my dissatisfaction.

- , Raleigh, USA

Jul 152012

Camry 4

Please help! I have noticed several complaints about the Toyota Camry 4 cylinder engines burning oil. My car is in the middle of the oil consumption testing now to get this problem fixed! The dealership at Toyota sealed my oil lid and stick so we could not check how much oil my car was burning...we were putting oil in the car every 2 weeks! My son was driving the car over the weekend and it starting making a "knocking" sound like rocks stuck in the bumper, smoking and he tried to give it gas to get off the road and it just died. Got the car towed and it's sitting back at the dealership AGAIN...do you think the car didn't have oil and the engine is dead!?? There was no way we could check the oil since it was sealed by Toyota. Disappointed consumer and now I'm afraid I will be out thousands of dollars to replace the engine. Please help!

- , Covington, KY, USA

Apr 302012

Camry LE 2.4L (2az-Fe)

I've been told by my dealer that oil usage of one (1) quart per 1000 miles is acceptable! I've owned Toyota vehicles continuously sine 1982 and have never experienced such a problem. I am burning/loosing a quart every 3,000 to 3,500 miles. The vehicle only has 65,000 miles on it. I have a 1995 Toyota Pickup (i.e. pre-Tacoma) that has 279,000 original miles and it uses a lot less oil than that!

- , Fairhope, AL, USA

Jan 102014

Camry LE 4 cyl

I am writing this on behalf of my dad who has had a constant oil burning problem with his Camry. I am a mechanic by trade and I can tell you this is not acceptable nor normal oil consumption by any means. My dad should not have to top the oil off(which by 2k miles is usually down a quart and a half and by 3k there is barely anything showing on the dipstick) as frequently as he does on a modern engine. He refuses to fix it as the car has had other issues(hanging throttle, erratic random downshifting, cheap flimsy interior etc) and he just wants to get rid of it.

Before, all Toyota issued was a TSB stating that there was an internal engine design flaw and the expense would come out of the owners pocket if not under warranty. The powertrain warranty only covers 60k miles and the failures seem to start to happen after that, almost as if it was by design. He recently got a letter saying Toyota is extending the warranty, however, the extension is very limiting and has quite a few loopholes in it. Toyota just issued the letter to make nice with the class action lawsuit against them to seem like they made an effort, when in reality it is nowhere near sufficient a resolution.

My family primarily drives GM as do I, and my dad says he will be returning to GM after this horrible experience with Toyota. Toyota needs to understand and remember history, you are NEVER too big to fail. You can try to cover up your lies, poor designs, and deceptive business practices but in the end, people will figure you out and skating on your reputation will only get you so far without putting out a quality product.

- , Exeter, RI, USA

Sep 092009

Contact Toyota. They need 3 months to finalize. I sold my car.

- , Owensound, ON, canada

Dec 012012

Camry LE 2.4L

I bought and own a 2008 Toyota Camry 2.4L 4 cylinder engine. At about 60K miles, the engine began to consume oil and I began to notice a burnt oil smell in the cabin. The engine bay was examined and there are no fluid leaks of any kind. I do the oil changes on my own cars so the car has been maintained very well with premium oil and brand of oil filter.

As time went by, I had to replenish the burned-off oil more often. As of today, the vehicle has 123k miles and it consumes about a quart of oil every 1,000 miles. If you are considering purchasing a Camry, note that the 6 cylinder engine does not have this problem, just the 4 cylinder engine. The 1.8L 4 cylinder engine used in the Corolla also has this problem, specially for the years 2002-2003.

My research has revealed that the 2.4L engines used in this generation of Camrys has a defective design in the piston rings which eventually fails the engine. While searching the internet, I also discovered that this generation of Camrys also has the following mechanical failures in common: Bad water pumps, bad struts and bad rear bearings. It has been my bad luck that I have had to replace all of the above as well.

- , Plainfield, IL, USA

Dec 012013

Camry LS 4

This is my 3rd Camry & the worst of them. I noticed it was burning oil & I was constantly taking it back to Jiffy Lube in between the 5k oil change. I was told that it was because of my high mileage and that I should use synthetic oil. Changed the type of oil & the problem still occurred. I stopped going to Jiffy Lube & tried Merchants. They refused to change my oil because the level was too low.

Went to dealer... They told me to come back every 1k miles to do an analysis. That was ridiculous & obsessive....considering I could do 1k miles in 2-3 weeks because of my work commute. The problem continues & it's worse. I'm adding oil weekly. It's a headache & after researching, it's a common problem that Toyota should fix. I'm researching other vehicles because this is my last Camry.

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

Jul 282012

Camry SE 4 cyl

When the problem started, I had just changed the oil from the dealer. I was told when the car was acting up from another source, that I had no oil, lucky that this was caught in time. The car since had not been as much as a problem, until today. I started my car and a loud knocking noise came from my car and rough idling turned off the car. I checked the oil to find out it was just about empty. I always had my car in for servicing when your suppose to and the dealer never told me about the oil problems. This sucks.

- , Harrison, OH, USA

Aug 112014

Camry ES

I have recently noticed that my car is buring an excessive amount of oil in between oil changes. Enough that I have to have it topped off every month or so. I am afraid of my car stalling out or causing more damage if my oil gets low and I don't notice it. It is becoming a pain to keep track of.

- , Glendale Heights, IL, USA

Nov 012014

Camry SE 2.4L V4

I was always sure Toyota is the most reliable car make, but not anymore. Now I'm consistently worried about the oil in the engine :(

- , Thornhill, Ontario, canada

Jun 012014

Camry XLE 2.4L I4

I bought a used 2008 Toyota Camry XLE. It looks like it was well documented with oil change receipts. I bought the car in September 2013 with 78k miles on it. The car runs great and this is first semi luxury car I owned with leather interior. I love it. I have always driven old cars so I was very excited to buy this car. My 15 year old, 1998 corolla was total loss in a fender bender so I got good replacement value from the insurance. I added $8k from my savings and decided to buy a Camry. How can I go wrong with a reliable Toyota? I was so wrong and now I have no faith in any manufacturer. This is a dog eat dog world.

I loved my Camry until one day only few months after buying the car there was a low oil pressure light showed on the display. I could not believe it. I thought there was oil leak so looked where I had parked the car to see any oil. There was none. I opened the hood to check for any oil around the engine. There was nothing. Everything looked very dry. I researched internet and I came to find out that 2008 Camry's have excessive oil consumption problem due to design defect. I have found two reasons: one is the piston rings are not designed correctly and other is oil pump does not have the capacity to pull enough oil to lubricate all engine parts which results in piston problems and eventually complete failure. The only solution is to replace the rings but if there is damage to other parts, which is very likely, then piston or the whole engine needs to be replaced. The cost can be $2500 for a used engine plus installation. After spending close to $5k you probably still won't have a complete fix. The used engine you buy most likely have the same problem. So you will be chasing your tail trying to fix a problem that is not fixable. The best solution is to sell it to a dealer or at a auction and go buy a Nissan or a VW.

My car is out of Warranty and I am stuck with this junk. I hope it keeps running as long as I keep the oil topped off. However, I think it's wishful thinking. I did not except this from Toyota. I am doing my part by letting anyone I know to stay clear of Toyota and even Lexus.

- , Rock, MD, USA

Dec 132014

Camry LE 4 cyl

I bought the Toyota Camry zero miles on Jan 2008. I have been taking the car always to the same dealership and always on time for the oil and filter change. I cannot believe that the car in good shape, never had any problems will need to replace the oil pistons and rings because is burning oil. The car is only 70,000 miles, it should be giving that kind of issues at this point.

The price to fix it $4,500. This is incredible.

I will never, ever, ever buy another Toyota in my life. Ever ...

- , Aldie, VA, USA

Oct 202014

:( Toyota):

- , Vacherie, LA, USA

Sep 182014

Driving home the daily 30 minute/10 mile run in my 2008 Camry with 47,379 miles on it, my check engine light goes on. Since I hadn't met the 3000 mile mileage requirement for an oil change I wasn't concerned about that. WRONG!!! On the way home I stopped to get an engine diagnosis. My car had consumed all but 1 quart of the 4.3 quarts it held . There were no indications by engine sounds or performance that anything was wrong.

Come to find out that this is a "common occurrence "in Camrys with my engine model. The diagnosis alone is $250+, just to check what might be the problem, I will be charged $2000 for the breakdown of the engine not including repairs. They are doing an excessive oil use check that I pay for, to prove to the dealer/manufacturer it really is using oil excessively. They have sealed the unit so it can't be tampered with so I can't even add oil for 1200 miles.

Repair estimates are around 3,500. I thought I had invested in a reliable car- buyers beware!!!

- , Fullerton, CA, USA