CarComplaints.com Notes: Much like the 2007 model year, which has a higher number of complaints, owners are reporting that their engines are running out of oil awfully quick. As in, 1 quart every 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains that’s with the “normal” operating range of the 2AZ-FE while owners maintain that’s complete BS.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

7.9

$4,333.00

2. replace piston and rings (11 reports)
  3. replaced engine (5 reports)
  4. the car's engine still runs abnormally (1 reports)
2008 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Camry:

2008 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

May 052016

Camry LS 4

I was driving and as I made turns my oil light would come on had to put 3 quarts in to fill it up.

- , Lansing, KS, USA

Apr 122016

Camry SE V6

The dealership said I had to get other stuff fixed before they would look at it.

- , Columbia, TN, USA

Apr 012014

Camry SE 2.4L

I bought my 2008 Camry brand new 0 miles in November 2007. Everything was great about the car I loved it no problems or so I thought. I first noticed my car using excessive oil back in the early part of 2014 at first I thought that is odd I mean its a Toyota and my car is not that old that I should be sucking up oil. I took it to the dealer in May 2014 128,921 miles concerning the low oil. I was told that it needed to have the valve gasket covers replaced, which I did the repair and paid $506.11. I thought I was good to go and boy did I get off cheap to fix this oil consumption problems especially after reading what others had gone through on this site.

Never the less the problem is now back I checked my oil March 2015 and noticed I was down 2 quarts obviously the valve covers were not the true problem and I had just basically wasted my money. Now I have returned to the dealer 4/13/16 and am now doing the oil consumption test (blah blah blah) which if it fails the dealer tells me that Toyota will fix the problem no charge to me. Will let you know what happens after my 1200 miles and we will see what they say after that. I can tell this if they refuse to fix it I will never buy another Toyota again.

- , Chantilly, VA, USA

Jan 012012

Camry LE

After a usual oil change, the engine oil is near empty after 2,500-3,000 miles.

- , Saratoga, CA, USA

Feb 222013

Camry LE V4

This car has been using oil since I purchased it, I have had 2 oil consumption tests ran at the dealership where I bought the Camry, Glockner Honda & Toyota 2867 US RT. 23, Portsmouth, Ohio 45662, It is still under warranty right now. Two consumption tests is all they will run. We have no pictures or video because I'm not allowed in the garage area where they do the test but It doesn't bother them to charge me for the oil change and then try to milk for more when nothing else needs to be worked on. I owned a 1994 and 2004 camry and hardly ever had to add oil. I have a 1993 Ford F150 pickup and I never have to add oil. Don't you think Toyota should be standing by their brand? I use to say they was the best cars on the road, I don't say that now. I will advertise for them just the way I have been treated as a customer. I expect to have what I pay for not a oil burning piece of crap. If I wanted that I could have bought at a buy hear pay hear and pushed one home.

- , Lucasville, OH, USA

Feb 292016

Camry SE V4

I took my car to Tansky's, Zanesville, Ohio, to have the excessive oil consumption recall fixed that Toyota is fixing. After Tansky having my car for 3 hours, I receive a call from the Service Department saying that several items need taken car of for regular maintenance. I do not agree to have these items done and tell them that I only want the recall for excessive oil consumption taken care of. Now I'm being told that I have to replace the tensioner belt because it "exploded" when the were working on my car. Please be aware when having recall work done that there may be charges for things that "explode" or break when the mechanics are working on your vehicle that you will be responsible for.

- , Byesville, OH, USA

Jul 012009

Camry LX

I have taken my vehicle to the dealer and they did the oil consumption test by charging me $50 for the oil change and let me run the car for about 1200 miles and take it back to them and see if the consumption is excessive and as EXPECTED from them, NORMAL. How could it be normal when after 1200 miles now the oil light comes on and the dipstick is almost completely dry? I have always owned Toyotas while in fact almost all of my 5 cars are all Toyotas. I think this will change in the future. I find them arrogant not to admit that these certain model cars have issues with the oil. They should rebuild their reputation and swallow the cost to repair or correct the isssues

- , Midlothian, VA, USA

Aug 012015

Camry LE 2.4L

High oil consumption. Disappointed in Toyota for not taking care of the problem.

- , massapequa park, NY, USA

Oct 032015

Camry LE 4 cyl. 2.4L Fuel Injected

On 10/03/2015 my husband took delivery of a 2008 Toyota Camry which he purchased from Jones Toyota. The car was idling roughly when he took delivery but, Bart Beall, the salesman wrote it up on some type of sale document. Mr. Beall said the dealership would fix the problem. On 10/26/15 my husband brought the car in to be repaired since he had been told the throttle body just needed to be cleaned. He was sent to Jones Kia for this work, not Jones Toyota. To make a tragic story short, after receiving a massive runaround from the employees of Jones Junction, which encompasses Jones Toyota, my husband, of his own accord went directly to the Jones Toyota service facility. This was the first time anyone at this unscrupulous car dealership mentioned the excessive oil consumption warranty enhancement recall. On 11/30/15, the car failed the second part of the test. This 2008 Toyota Camry was sold to use deceptively and fraudulently. The car has been sitting at the dealership since 11/30/2015. We have asked for our $13,220.02 due to the fraudulent sale. The president of Jones Junction, Steve Smeltzer has refused. He won't even talk to us. One of his employees offered to do a switch out for a different Toyota. My husband said fine. This was on 12/04/2015. My husband drove a 2010 Toyota Camry that seemed okay. So, the car salesman goes to work up some numbers after my husband told him our current car payment must remain the same. The salesman comes back and informs my husband that our new payment will be $46.00 more per month. The reason told my husband was that Jones would only give us a $6,500.00 credit rather than our full $13,220.02. We are paying for a car that has been sitting at the dealership since 11/30/15.. The folks at Jones Toyota knew the excessive oil consumption problem existed when they sold my husband the car. They refused to run the two part test prior to sale because they knew once they did it would appear on Car Fax and dramatically diminish the value of the car. They never disclosed the issue to us, the consumer, allowing us to make an informed decision. This tragedy has been well documented. I filed a complaint with Toyota. Daisy called today to let me know how sorry she is but, Toyota can only document the problem. In addition, I've filed a complaint with the Office of the Maryland Attorney General, Consumer Protection Division. We currently own two other Toyota's. As I told Miss Daisy, the Toyota representative, after she told me Toyota can't help, even though they have a dealer fraudulently selling their products, we will NEVER EVER EVER purchase another Toyota vehicle. I would like to become a part of the class action lawsuit against Toyota.

Update from Jan 20, 2016: On January 16, 2016 we visited Jones Toyota service center, where our 2008 Toyota Camry had been sitting, yet again, since January 6th. The dates which the car has been at this service facility are numerous and long. The update is this. The abnormal idle issue is yet another inherent problem with this model year engine. Bottom line is, the car is still sitting at the Jones Toyota service center. It will remain there until the Jones Group returns our money. They robbed us. Toyota has been no help whatsoever. The Better Business Bureau has been a wonderful advocate on our behalf. The Consumer Products Division of our state's Attorney General's office is now involved. Shortly, the Federal Trade Commission will intervene. What really stuns myself and spouse is Consumer Reports says absolutely NOTHING about the excessive oil consumption problem involving millions of cars from 2007-2009. I used to think their words were worth something. No more. Unless a person is knowledgeable about car engines, those of us that are not are at the mercy of every auto charlatan.

- , Fallston, MD, USA

Nov 012015

Camry

Taking my Camry in for oil consumption issue. My Camry failed the oil consumption test.

- , Clive, USA

Oct 152014

Camry SE 2.4L

My car started using massive amounts of oil all of a sudden a year ago October. No lights indicated low oil nor did the check engine light come on. The car never registered hot even though the first two times this happened, I knew because of the stench of burning coming from my car as I drove to work.

In January/February of 2015, I received the notification of the Warranty Enhancement Package for excessive oil use. The notification stated a fix was coming... to expect it by May. It also noted coverage of any additional out of pocket expenses that would occur in that time. So, I took my car for the consumption test (as directed). My car failed miserably. I was told to wait... something would come in the mail soon. Faithfully, I put oil into my car... one quart every 500 miles. I kept the receipts from all the purchased oil and waited. May came and went.

In June 2015, I called the dealership from which I purchased my car... Dan Cava Toyota in Fairmont, WV. I was told to wait... that they hadn't heard anything. So, I continued to put oil in my car. In the meantime, I was told my just of one year old spark plugs looked as if they were 5 years old (from all the burning oil). I called Dan Cava Toyota again in July 2015. Again, I was told they had heard nothing.

A week before school started for me and my two teenage boys (who are also involved in fall sports), I called Dan Cava Toyota again... Still nothing. I explained that my life would be constant running all fall due to work and my boys' participation in fall sports. I expressed my concern of how many miles I had put on the car while waiting... at this point, already approaching 20,000. I was told to check back in a week or two if I hadn't heard anything. A couple of weeks passed. I decided to call the Toyota corporation directly.

When I spoke to customer service, they explained to me that the part had indeed been available since May 2015. The representative placed me on hold and called Dan Cava Toyota. She returned to say that she had spoken to the service department and they had not ordered my part. She said she didn't understand why they had not, but not to worry... that Todd from the service department ordered it while she was on the phone. She assured me that the part would be in within two weeks and Todd would be calling me when it came in. Two weeks come and go and no call.

I call Dan Cava Toyota and ask for Todd. Todd says he tried to call me once, although I have no record of a missed number from Dan Cava Toyota or a voicemail message. I let it go and make the appointment to have my car fixed asap. It takes them an additional two weeks to get me in. The morning after I drop off my car, I received a call from Todd. They are not going to fix my car because there is oil in my intake valve... I need my seals replaced.

He quotes a repair cost in upwards of $1600... tells me they will not replace my piston ring kit until I pay to have the other damage repaired. I tell them I don't know a lot about cars, but it makes sense to me that running a car 30,000+ miles while guzzling a quart of oil every 500 miles would certainly cause more damage (like my sparkplugs, which they had already refused to replace). The service manager instructed me to call Toyota corporation.. .that they would have to okay any additional repairs. So, I took back the rental and brought home my car with no answers.

The next day, I talk to a my brother, a certified mechanic, that ensures me that all the damage is related and a result of the faulty piston ring. I call Toyota. This time the customer service rep tells me she can do nothing but put notes of my concerns and complaint into my case. She tells me to go back to my dealership... that the service manager needed to contact "region"... that "region" would be the person to make the call as to whether the repairs could be made.

At this point, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I think I did both. I go back to Dan Cava Toyota with my brother. We tell the service manager what the representative said. He tells us he will contact the regional whatever (who he "thinks" she is referring to when she says 'region'). He tells us he will come look at the car and we can meet with him to discuss the next step. That was almost two weeks ago. Last Friday, the service manager called me asking for my case #. I gave it to him (having documentation of all the calls I have made over the last year).

This morning, the service manager called me to tell me that the 'region' looked at my case and wants me to have the other repairs made before they will replace the piston ring kit. However, if my car is still consuming excessive oil after that, they will replace the kit and refund my money. I laughed. I told him I didn't trust them at all. That I would be taking whatever action I needed to make sure Toyota and Dan Cava Toyota does what is right. I can honestly say I am sickened by this while ordeal. 13 months I have been dealing with this... running in circles and jumping through hoops. Something needs to be done.

Can anyone help? How can they say that running a car for a year that is consuming at least a quart of oil every 500 miles hasn't caused other damage???? How can they make this my responsibility? All I want is a safe, reliable car to drive to work and to transport my children to and from school, practices, and games. Who knows what other damage has been done to the engine!

- , Philippi, USA

Nov 012014

Camry SE 2.4L

I've noticed the engine oil on the low side every time I get the oil changed...It appears to have started a year ago. It's probably down a couple of quarts between oil changes!

Has anyone found a solution?

- , Calgary, AB, Canada

Jan 022015

Camry LX 3.2L

I am really worried that such a fairly used car is highly consuming engine oil.

- , BALTIMORE, USA

Dec 042014

Camry V4

The problem started a few months ago when my car started releasing smoke at first it was only a small amount, over time the smoke amount keep increasing and funny because on February 2015 Toyota mailed a recall to get my vehicle check for recall to get test for "Excessive Oil Consumption test" huh interesting.

Went to Toyota dealership and the service Representative was rude when I mention my concern he right away stated nothing was wrong with my car without the test not even beginning yet. He assumed the smoke was not related to the recall. I was advised to go back between 1000-1300 Miles to check the oil consumption, but unfortunately the representative made a mistake and had written the wrong mileage so I went over 2000 miles.

I went back to the dealership and they still perform the test after I went over the required miles. The next day I called different Toyota dealerships to research more about the test and they told me is required to get the test redone if the 1000-1300 miles go over for the test to be done properly.

I'm so dissatisfied with Toyota I'm so not buying an other vehicle from them again. They lie to me, I just to trust their vehicles now I don't I'm losing my trust on them and I'm finding out they want people's money for their own factory's mistakes and is not fair. My car is a 2008 vehicle not a new car but not an old vehicle my family have older models different brands and have no problems that all. I hope Toyota gets to pay all consumers for this and fix our cars.

- , Orange, CA, USA

May 232015

Camry LE

Just before I was supposed to change oil, I went and checked and it was practically gone! We never had that issue before. Now I am concerned.

- , Wausau, WI, USA

Apr 072015

Camry

The oil consumption with Camry stays way below the quart measuring on the dip stick. I checked it again after 1,000 miles as per Toyota service dept and the oil was 1/2 quart low. Now after another 1,000 miles the oil is down to 1/2 qt. only on the dip stick, I feel Toyota is responsible for this issue.

- , Bakersfield, CA, USA

Jul 302014

Camry LS 3.2L

I just returned from the local Toyota dealer and was informed my car used just under one quart of oil during the consumption test and thus does not qualify for a fix! I will be contacting Toyota regarding my dissatisfaction.

- , Raleigh, USA

Jul 152012

Camry 4

Please help! I have noticed several complaints about the Toyota Camry 4 cylinder engines burning oil. My car is in the middle of the oil consumption testing now to get this problem fixed! The dealership at Toyota sealed my oil lid and stick so we could not check how much oil my car was burning...we were putting oil in the car every 2 weeks! My son was driving the car over the weekend and it starting making a "knocking" sound like rocks stuck in the bumper, smoking and he tried to give it gas to get off the road and it just died. Got the car towed and it's sitting back at the dealership AGAIN...do you think the car didn't have oil and the engine is dead!?? There was no way we could check the oil since it was sealed by Toyota. Disappointed consumer and now I'm afraid I will be out thousands of dollars to replace the engine. Please help!

- , Covington, KY, USA

Apr 302012

Camry LE 2.4L (2az-Fe)

I've been told by my dealer that oil usage of one (1) quart per 1000 miles is acceptable! I've owned Toyota vehicles continuously sine 1982 and have never experienced such a problem. I am burning/loosing a quart every 3,000 to 3,500 miles. The vehicle only has 65,000 miles on it. I have a 1995 Toyota Pickup (i.e. pre-Tacoma) that has 279,000 original miles and it uses a lot less oil than that!

- , Fairhope, AL, USA

Jan 102014

Camry LE 4 cyl

I am writing this on behalf of my dad who has had a constant oil burning problem with his Camry. I am a mechanic by trade and I can tell you this is not acceptable nor normal oil consumption by any means. My dad should not have to top the oil off(which by 2k miles is usually down a quart and a half and by 3k there is barely anything showing on the dipstick) as frequently as he does on a modern engine. He refuses to fix it as the car has had other issues(hanging throttle, erratic random downshifting, cheap flimsy interior etc) and he just wants to get rid of it.

Before, all Toyota issued was a TSB stating that there was an internal engine design flaw and the expense would come out of the owners pocket if not under warranty. The powertrain warranty only covers 60k miles and the failures seem to start to happen after that, almost as if it was by design. He recently got a letter saying Toyota is extending the warranty, however, the extension is very limiting and has quite a few loopholes in it. Toyota just issued the letter to make nice with the class action lawsuit against them to seem like they made an effort, when in reality it is nowhere near sufficient a resolution.

My family primarily drives GM as do I, and my dad says he will be returning to GM after this horrible experience with Toyota. Toyota needs to understand and remember history, you are NEVER too big to fail. You can try to cover up your lies, poor designs, and deceptive business practices but in the end, people will figure you out and skating on your reputation will only get you so far without putting out a quality product.

- , Exeter, RI, USA