CarComplaints.com Notes: Much like the 2007 model year, which has a higher number of complaints, owners are reporting that their engines are running out of oil awfully quick. As in, 1 quart every 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains that’s with the “normal” operating range of the 2AZ-FE while owners maintain that’s complete BS.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

8.1

$3,078.00

2. replace piston and rings (22 reports)
  3. replaced engine (5 reports)
  4. the car's engine still runs abnormally (1 reports)
2008 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Camry:

2008 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

May 112017

Camry LE 2.4L 158hp 4 cyl

Had oil consumption test performed at dealer twice. First test on 3/12/15 at 80,728 miles passed after driving 1285 miles with .4 qt. oil used. I requested second test on 3/31/17 at 99,096 miles due to oil light occasionally blinking when braking. Test results of second test after driving 1289 miles FAILED, with 1-1/2 qts. of oil used. Dealer advised on 5/10/17 that Toyota will replace pistons & piston rings with no charge for those parts or labor under the enhanced warranty HOWEVER, they also handed me a sheet of paper titled "Oil Consumption Recommendations" Operation Code: RBEAR listing following parts: timing chain, timing chain tensioner, 8 countershaft bearings, 2 camshaft bearings & oil pump, which they are recommending be replaced at my expense of $680 plus 7% tax. They stated that while they have the engine torn apart, it makes sense to replace these parts now as they are likely to fail due to wear of over 100,000 miles and driving with low oil; however, they are not covered by the enhanced warranty. I have had all maintenance done at dealer, with routine oil changes every six months. I don't feel it is the right thing for Toyota to expect me to pay for the additional parts potentially caused by their faulty engine assembly.

My husband & I bought this car at ages in our 60's with the intention of it being our last car purchase with no more car payments and the potential (based on Toyota reputation) of driving it to 200,000 miles. This was our first Toyota bought and the last.

- , Coraopolis, US

Feb 042017

Camry LE 2.4L/4 cyls

The last oil change I had with my Camry 2008 was in February 2017. After driving about 2000 in 1.5 months after that oil change, I began to notice my car performance had degraded so much that I decided to check the oil level. When I checked my oil level I was shocked to find there was no oil on my dip stick! I went to a local auto shop to pick up 2 quarts and added to my engine. The next day I went to drop it off at a Toyota dealer to perform the oil consumption after I found out about this defect in the engine online. It failed the test. At this point my mileage was 191,400 and my car was 7 months short of turning 10 years old. The excessive oil consumption problem had occurred well after the extended warranty of 150,000! I am out of luck and Toyota refused to service my car due to the expired warranty!! I feel cheated out of the warranty! THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN A RECALL. Help!

- , Rowland Heights, ca, US

Mar 282017

Camry XLE 2.4L

I had Toyota's for 40 years and this is the worst car ever. I'm used to a car running and getting 300,000 miles and this car with its oil consumption problem isn't going to come anywhere close. It has been four recalls or extended warrantys. As Toyota likes to call them. I'm not happy that the dealer said there wasn't anything wrong when I took it in for the oil consumption test. Why is my husband always adding oil to my car engine if Toyota said it was fine. My car should not be using a quart if oil every two weeks. Since Toyota said less than 3000 miles ago it wasn't using oil, they lied. It was using it before, they did the consumption test. they filled it back up before I got it back and told me they did and said it wasn't using oil. I am livid that I have a car that is not worth much, That I can not with good conscience sell to someone else and won't get anything for a trade in. This will be my last Toyota unless they fix the problem. Since I am going to end up buying a car much sooner than I planned this will cost me $30 to $40 k I had not plann d on spending.

- , Havertown, PA, US

Dec 132016

Camry LE V4

My car nearly died on the beltline when I was coming home from work. I was on my way to pick up my daughter and take her to her school's Christmas concert. If I had missed that, it would have been awful because she had no one else to take her and be there for her (she's only 9).

A mom at my daughter's dance class told me that it might be part of a recall. She has a scion (same year) and she said her problem was taken care of for free because it was a recall issue. I called the local Toyota dealership, and they said that there was no recall issue. SO UPSETTING! I have always been good at getting my oil changed, and now I am going to have to pay for this out of my own pocket.

- , Oregon, US

Apr 292016

Camry LE 4 cyl

After several more visits to dealership to check oil etc, My friends Husband asked me to let him look at car. He ran his hand doen neath the sides of engine, when he pulled it out it was black with oil. He told me that the car was now slinging oil out . He suggested aI take it back to the dealer and leave it refusing to drive it any longer until they fixed it. I returned the car within a day or so. Discussed it with the Manager . He said there were cars there that had been there for3 and 4 months waiting for parts. I explained that I understood toyota was paying for a loaner car and that I was leaving it no matter how long it took. They did not have a loaner the day before on the 28yh so I returned the car and went back on the 29. The car was there until August 12th they had done a 9000 mile inspection at my request after the 29th, calling me telling me at first that a Bearing that went from the motor into the tire was bad and it would be $800.00+ labor to replace with Toyota genuine parts . I said I wanted to ck with a friend who is a certified mechanic first. They said if I waited til it was put back together it would cost more, I could gety it replaced for $500.00 using After Market Parts. I said I thought Toyota was suppose to do all repairs to the engine , he said it wasn't part of the repairs. I said I gusee I have no choice.

I called my friend who is the Mechanic. He said They should pay for it if it is a bearing that goes into the motor. Don"t let them put this off on you. I called back they were closed, I called Toyota. They said they were only paying for Pistons. Next day I called talked to Eddie the person who had talked with me the night before. When I said that Bearing in the engine should be paid by Toyota, he said I did not say Bearings , It is an C.v. Axle that goes from the tire into the motor had nothing rto do with oil consumption. I replied you said Bearing, I wrote it down when you told me. That sounds nothing like C.V. Axel! I told him to go ahead and fic it using after market parts since they had the same warranty time as Toyota parts.

Whan I picked up my car and did a test drive I noticed the milage did not seem right. We went about 6 to 12 miles at the most and I had to return the rental. When I got home which is 23.7 miles I wrote down the milage it was 89976 miles which is 126 miles from the time it was taken in....although the out milage when picked up was 89856 only 6 miles different from when I tool it in.

I went down on 8/28/16 to pick up the car and was asked to come back the next day as the company wanted to drive it 50 miles or so to make sure it was running ok. I agreed and left returning on 8-29-16 to pick it up. I don't mind that they might have driven it a time or two to check it out, BUT i THINK THE OUT MILAGE SHOULD HAVE BEEN WHAT WAS TRUE. AS THE OUT MILAGE HAS TO DO WITH ANY WARRANTY WORK AND HOW LONG IT IS IN WARRANTY!!

- , Katy, TX, USA

Feb 242017

Camry SE V4

I have a 2008 Toyota Camry SE (stick shift) and it has recently (in 2017) started having issues with excessive oil consumption. I have to add 1-2 quarts of oil roughly every 1,000 miles. I did some research and learned there have been some reports of this. I have never been notified by Toyota about this. Nor did the Toyota dealer mention it when I've taken it in for a clutch replacement last year. My vehicle has 190,000 miles on it now so per the Toyota warranty enhancement info I found online, it appears both the first and secondary coverage options have expired for my vehicle. Is that true? Is there anything Toyota is willing to do? I called a local Toyota dealer and was told there is nothing they can do and the piston replacement would cost about $2800.

- , Fort Lauderdale, US

Mar 142017

Camry

I get my oil changed and vehicle serviced RELIGIOUSLY...at Toyota, no less. Driving down the road the oil pressure light blinks several times and goes off. Engine runs okay as best I can tell. Checked the oil dipstick and there is nothing on there. I am 2000 miles away from my next oil change. No change in driving pattern. I'll be investigating and following up...

- , Newnan, GA, US

Nov 062013

Camry LE 2.4L

THE Problem is the test that toyota performs is a joke, they know there is a problem with oil comsumption,I have a 94 camry and it runs and performs great that is the reason for buying another one,Me being a mechanic has never seen a Lie told this Bold. there are cars out there thats older and more expensive but never one that burn oil like this and it smokes now on start up the test they perform is a joke,if you forget to check your oil between oil changes you gambling. The Hell with Toyota Never Again

- , Cedar Hill, TX, US

Feb 012017

Camry Hybrid 2.2L

• CVT transmission

Starting to use oil. Down 1 qt.been reading about issues. Very concerned. Beyond warranty.

- , Redwood City, US

Oct 202015

Camry LE 2.4L L4 Dohc 16v

I have used Toyota cars for the past 15 years. I have always bought Toyota cars for their reliability. Now I am not so sure anymore. When I went to the car dealer in early 2015 to complain about my car using too much oil they said that I would have to run an oil consumption test for 1200 miles to find out how serious it was. It passed the test and they said the engine was ok. Then after many months of the same annoying issue I researched the problem online I found the problem was common. It said that cars produced in the Tennessee plant have had issues with faulty pistons. The biggest problem I have after calling the national 800 number for Toyota, was they never told me about any piston problems. As it turns out they have had issues in the 2008-2011's. That really upset me that they never let me know. Then after going back to the dealership that I bought the car I talked with the general manger and complained again. So they did another oil consumption test for 1200 miles. This time it failed the test. I was then told that the pistons would be replaced when it was my turn to do the necessary repairs. They only told me that this would take some time. That was ok, but I never once got a phone call or letter or e-mail explaining why the pistons were faulty or when my car was going to be repaired. I finally just got the service done on 11/16/2016. Over one year later! Over the past year I bought quite a few 5 gallon containers of oil to put in my car daily. I would like to be reimbursed for the oil I used because of thee faulty pistons. I will never buy another Toyota car.

- , Kissimmee, FL, USA

Jun 052015

Camry SE 3.2L

I bought my car in 2008, I lived walking distance from my work. In 2015 when I moved 22 miles one way from work is when I noticed the car was drinking oil. I would go for oil change and it would barely have oil, I started checking weekly and had to start putting oil in religiously and almost every few days.

This is a know issue with this model and it should be covered no matter what!! I will never buy another Toyota !!

- , Vinemont, US

Dec 302016

Camry LE 2.5L 4 cyl

My car is consuming lot of oil - for every 5000 miles oil change I noticed that there is not a single drop of oil left in the engine. I had an oil consumption test at Longo Toyota dealer in January, they asked me to come when the I drove between 1100-1300 miles. I took my car in at 1128 miles and after the test they said everything is normal and no further test is needed. I said what are you saying, I see not a single drop of oil left in the engine. They are saying in order to fail the test 1 qt of oil should be consumed for every 1200 miles but my car consume 3/4 qt of oil hence test is passed....

What the heck is going on? Why is it normal to consume 3/4 qt of oil? They failed to realize that there is no oil when an oil change has occurred. And now the other problem is I can retake the test only after 6 months or 5k miles on the vehicle, but my 10 year warranty is expiring in Sept. Not sure why Toyota put the 10 year warranty, they should cover the warranty at least 15 years... I am sick of Toyota. Never going to purchase any Toyota vehicles, they don't stand behind their vehicles ...

I am going to file a lawsuit against Toyota for not covering my vehicle....

- , san gabriel, CA, US

Nov 012014

Camry SE 4 Cly

I have to add a quart of oil at least every 1000 miles

- , Fairfield, OH, USA

Feb 012017

Camry XLE

Toyota knows that their Camry uses excess oil. They have run 3 different oil consumption tests on my car. Each time, they say my car "passes" and does not meet their requirements for excess consumption. These tests have been conducted over a several year period. My car, after only 1,000 miles after the recent oil change, just registered "0" oil when we checked. Toyota will not take responsibility.

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

Feb 012015

Camry LE 2.4L

Definitely disappointed. Not expecting my auto to run forever, but it's been burning oil at about 1100 miles per quart for a while now. Had the oil consumption test done through a Toyato dealership about a year ago, apparently passed. Was told on the down low, that I could try the test again in 6 months. As of feb 2017', still adding oil at that rate. No leaking observed, just burning. smokes a great deal when starting or when it's on the low end. First car we every bought new. Yep.... apparently not the Toyota our parents had. Def hesitant to re up with a Toyota product.

- , Seffner, FL, USA

Feb 102017

Camry XLE 2.4L 4 cyl

I became aware of the problem 02/10/2017. I can not believe my 2008 camry with only 89500 miles with NO issues so far while going down the road, engine light flashing car came to crawl to discover later it had NO oil but my regular schedule oil change WAS NOT even due. I change my oil ever 3000 - 3500 miles since we bought the car in 2010. I fear my car in ruined, it is not running right at all but time will tell. I will keep this site updated on the problem. We all need to share the issue with everyone so Toyota will be made accountable for the issue. My sister has a 2009 camry had EXACTLY same issue two months ago.

- , Brent, AL, USA

Sep 152016

Camry LE 4 cyl

Have a 2008 Toyota Camry LE. I took it in to my local Toyota dealership ( Rome, GA)in September 2016. I was informed by the dealership service manager that it failed the oil consumption test. He then told me that I would be put on a waiting list to have the problem fixed. However, he said it could be 2 years before they could possibly get too it. REALLY ...... Now it's January 26, 2017, I take it back in to have the oil change performed. ( Note - I've been having to put oil in the car every week ). I've been told by the service manager that I'm #31 on his list to have the car repaired. So , I then ask him what # is he on the oil consumption repair list? READ CAREFULLY - HE TELLS ME THAT HE CAN'T TELL ME, THAT EVERY OIL CONSUMPTION. REPAIR HE'S DOING IS #1. What does this sound like you as the reader?

Please fill free too use your imagination in what this dealership is doing to me! I know I'm getting tired of be bent over!

Update from Jan 28, 2017: I have a 2008 Toyota Camry LE. I took it to my local Toyota dealership in September 2016. The service manager informs me that my car failed the oil consumption test. He then tells me that I'm possibly looking at 2 years before they can get to it, REALLY.... Now it's January 2017, I take it in for its oil change. ( Please know that I've been needing to put oil in it every week).

While there, I wanted to know where I was on the list to get my car fixed? The service manager told me my # on the list but he was unable to tell me where he was on the list? He told me that every oil consumption repair he does is #1. DOES THIS MAKE ANY SINCE TO YOU AS THE READER? I feel that this dealership is not being honest with me! Please feel free to use your imagination what you think this dealership is up too!

- , Rome, USA

Apr 012016

Camry LE 2.4L

It's really annoying to see that you haven't even passed 1000km and you would have to fill up oil while you just went and replaced everything. I have been having this issue for a while now and putting it aside till I searched and found that a number of people are having the same issue. I praised Toyota all the time and was thinking to get another one after the one that I have but it seems that I am gonna be shopping around for something different because I don't want to face the same problem and spend so much money on it. This is all extra expenses that I don't need at the moment.

- , Hannon, ON, Canada

Feb 012016

Camry

At some point around 100,000 miles I was shocked to find little or no oil on the dip stick so I started watching it closely. Toyota sent out information regarding engine oil consumption issues very soon after. I was elated that the problem would be fixed. I took the car in to have the problem repaired and was hit with a $1700 bill of prerequisite repairs! Yes, Toyota stated that I had 3 major oil leaks that needed repairing before they would fix the high oil consumption issue. Well the repairs all had to do with oil leaks!!! I am so confused! My oil pan gasket, and my timing cover were both majorly leaking oil. It's weird how there are NEVER oil stains anyplace that I park. Anyways, the only way Toyota would honor the oil consumption issue repair is if I get the other repairs done. Needless to say, it has been a year and I am continuing to keep watch of my oil level. My car only has 134,000 miles and it's ashamed. I am now in the market for a new car, and running far from Toyota! It's sad that my family has purchased this brand since as far back as I remember. Welp, the tradition ends here!

- , Atlanta, GA, USA

Oct 152016

Camry LX 4 Cy

I'm totally disappointed in Toyota and with some of the problems that were found on the model/year of my car ('08' Camry). I had a new 92 Camry (manufactured in Japan) which I kept for years without any major problems and it finally died with 280,000 because of not having any transmission fluid. I believe it would had kept going for another 50,000 easily. Toyota seems to had been in a hurry to push these vehicles through and just make the money on them. I took my car for an oil change (which I do faithfully) and then three weeks later I took it somewhere else for brakes and when I picked it up, I was told that it was down a quart of oil. I mentioned that I had just gotten an oil change. I was told to keep an eye on it, but maybe they didn't put enough oil in it when I had it changed. I then had it checked about 1,000 miles more and it was down another quart. I took it for another oil change and was told that maybe the gasket was leaking. After about another 1,000 miles it was down a quart again. I took it to be checked and the gasket was replaced (costing hundreds of dollars). I was told that that was very strange because I never saw or see any oil spots anywhere. Now I have to add a quart about every 1,000 miles. What a pain and expense. Of course it's my expense!!

- , Antioch, IL, USA