Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Much like the 2007 model year, which has a higher number of complaints, owners are reporting that their engines are running out of oil awfully quick. As in, 1 quart every 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains that’s with the “normal” operating range of the 2AZ-FE while owners maintain that’s complete BS.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

2008 Toyota Camry miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Camry:

2008 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 012016

The engine is using one quart of oil every 500 miles.

- Russell, PA, USA

Jan 032016

Replacement sun visors is broken

- Compton, CA, USA

Apr 022013

I'm experiencing a melting dashboard that causes a such glare on the windshield that it has the effect of of us not being able see thorough the windshield as was intended by its installation. We now wear uv sunglasses in order to try to combat the glare. This melting dashboard is a safety hazard! I've sent/spoken with Toyota and its dealers and they have not agreed repair or replace my melting dashboard. Did I mention it is a safety hazard and has further decreased the re-sale value.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jun 062016

The driver side sun visor keeps falling off and blocks driver's view. I searched online and it seems that it's a common problem for Toyota Camry model between 2008 - 2011. Many owners complains about it. I contacted Toyota headquarter but they refused to fix the problem

- San Ramon, CA, USA

Jan 142016

I am getting running out of engine oil, I have talk to Toyota and they say too many people are facing same problem I am running out oil as low in just 1000 mile and I have diagnose and they could not found any problem. Car running out of oil and making big noise and scare to drive vehicle, I need solution as soon as possible

- Indian Trail, NC, USA

Jun 172016

The dashboard is sticky, melting, and causes a very dangerous reflection on the windshield from the sun, making it extremely difficult to see out the windshield while driving or otherwise.

- Arroyo Grande, CA, USA

May 102016

Dash is melting. The residue from the dash is causing a sticky reflective surface. The reflective surface is distracting for drivers and can during bright days cause reduced visibility.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Apr 012016

Dashboard really sticky and melting impossible to clean

- Houston, TX, USA

May 012016

My 2008 Camry xle has a very shiny, sticky dashboard. This problem has been getting worse over the period of a few years. Now, I can hardly see to drive because of the glare on the windshield when the sun is shining bright and sometimes with certain night driving conditions.

- Alvin, TX, USA

Nov 032015

Sun visors for both passenger and driver broke. I can understand the driver side to come off, but the passenger side too came off. I am the only one driving the car. This has to be a serious quality issue. My warranty expired last year but the poor quality of the Camry visors cannot be excused. Its ok for me to spend money to get it repaired, but I do mind but the amount of time I have to spend to get it fixed. This is just very annoying.

- Oxford, MS, USA

Feb 252016

Excessive oil consumption.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Feb 022015

I have a Toyota Camry and of the board is melting and I is difficult at the besst sun does get good visibility because the sunlight so bright hinders my vision board. I want to know where I can go to help me to fix this flaw. I am parking in front to my house

- Hallandale Beach, FL, USA

Nov 142015

My telescoping steering wheel latch will stay locked.and my rear window shade will not go up or down hampering me when I backup at night. And this happens with this when in motion are not moving.

- Morgan City, LA, USA

Jun 152015

I have a cup holder is broken, it looks like it's sinked in, I do not know if there is a recall for this, please let me know.

- The Colony, TX, USA

Nov 012015

I have a problem with my visor on driver side, I went to Toyota of lewisville, tx, the manager of service department was very rude and unprofessional, he treat me like it is my fault, it is quality problem, it is so sad you driving the good car but it has a lot of problem.

- The Colony, TX, USA

Aug 012015

Purchase a 2008 Camry and notice that the dashboard is sticky and shiny and real mess. I took the car to Toyota place because of a recalled on the power switch in August 2015. I was told that there is a recalled on the dash board but I have not received a call from the dealership. Today I called and was routed to a salesman who was trying to get me to purchase another Toyota. I don't think I will purchase another Toyota. My first one was great a 2005. But this second one 2008 has made me not believe in the product anymore. What happen to Toyota dependability" this is what made me buy the product in the first place. Accountability and dependability has disappear for most car companies. What's a consumer to do just lie down and take poor workmanship"

- Port St Lucie, FL, USA

Sep 012015

I did not have an accident. I just wanted to vent my feeling on the problem. Toyota issued a warranty enhancement notice concerning the sun visor assembly. The notice gave you 7 years from the date of purchase which seem like a long time. They stated only to bring it in if you have a problem. I did not have a problem until 9 months pass the 7 years. This could be a safety issue as the visor fell down blocking my view. I had to remove it in order to see the road. My question is why was this issued as a warranty enhancement notice instead of a recall. They must know that customers have a problem with it since they issued the warranty enhancement notice.

- Canton, GA, USA

Jun 012015

The sun visor became weak and has broken completely. I would Venture to say the visor has less than the average amount of normal wear and tear. The visor itself will not stay up in the proper position nor stay down/back (more flatly adjacent to the windshield). This causes decreased/awkward visibility when driving in general and offers no relief when needed from driving into the sun's path. It is also very distracting (even frustrating) when operating the vehicle.

- Jasper, IN, USA

Jul 302015

While driving, the driver side sun visor began to slowly drop down and eventually fell completely off falling into my face and onto my lap. The visor appears to have broken off at the point where it is held to the car itself. There was no warning it was about to break completely off and fall on my face. When Toyota was called to check to see if it is a know issue, Toyota's response was there is a known issue with my vehicle. Apparently the sun visors are drooping and breaking on select models, causing then to fall off. They advised my vehicle was included in this visor issue. However, there is not a recall. I advised Toyota this is a safety issue. I drive to and from work often driving in the direction of direct sun. Not having a visor is a safety issue. I now am concerned abvout this issue. Toyota's response was this is no longer covered under the vehicle warranty and they will not cover the repair cost. Toyota advised if I wanted to have the issue fixed, I would need to purchase a new one at my cost. This issue is more around safety and supporting the "known issue." I now am at risk of an accident without a working visor due to this known issue which Toyota themselves identified.

- Mount Vernon, NY, USA

Jun 052015

The dashboard is melting in the heat. It get's sticky and shiny in the heat and reflects a glare on the windshield. You can put your hand on it and it sticks to the dash and you could peal the surface off.

- Royal Palm Beach, FL, USA