2010 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Toyota Camry:

2010 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Mar 252016

Camry

While stopped in a private parking lot in stall, but while foot on brake yet & engine running, vehicle accelerated jumped a curb crossed grass island & struck a vehicle facing mine. Vehicle was stationary prior to accelerating.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Dec 122015

Camry

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced an unintended acceleration. The brake pedal was depressed but the vehicle continued to accelerate and crashed into a pole. The vehicle could be driven after the crash. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V017000 (vehicle speed control). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 70,000.

- Cardova, TN, USA

Nov 012015

Camry

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Camry. Upon starting the vehicle and shifting it into the drive position, the vehicle unintentionally accelerated to unknown speeds. The contact stated that the brake pedal was depressed, but the vehicle would not stop, causing the contact to crash into two trees. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was not filed. The contact sustained injuries to the neck and required medical attention. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 125,000. The VIN was not available.

- Chimayo, NM, USA

Sep 012015

Camry

I was stopped in line of a drive thru restaurant. The vehicles were not moving and I was waiting with my foot on the break. All of a sudden the engine surged and the car lurched forward hitting the car in front of me. I pushed as hard as possible on the break pedal but the car did not stop until it hit the car in front of me.

- Clayton, OH, USA

Apr 052015

Camry 4-cyl

I'm not sure exactly when the problems with unexpected acceleration began with this car, but they are fairly recent. All occurred when the car was stopped or moving very slowly. I do not have very good recollections of the earliest of these occurrences, but I can remember the last three clearly. The first of these was in March 2015. I was driving in an area where the speed limit was 35 mph and had stopped for a traffic signal. I remember clearly that I had my foot solidly on the brake pedal; I had been making a special point of that as a result of the earlier occurrences. I felt the engine speed up, but the car did not move. The second occasion was on March 29th when I was driving in a residential area and had stopped at a four-way stop. I was waiting for a pedestrian (walking a dog) who was crossing the road on the opposite side from where I was stopped. I do not have a firm recollection of exactly where my right foot was positioned, but it certainly was not on the accelerator. Suddenly the car accelerated, heading toward the pedestrian. I was able to avoid hitting her by making a sharp right turn into the cross street and then bringing the car to a stop. The third occasion was on April 5th. In attempting to park the car in a lot near a grocery store, I turned the car into an empty parking space. I was pressing the brake pedal gently to bring the car to a stop at the curb on a median strip that separated my parking area from a similar one on the other side of the median. The car was just a few feet from where it should have stopped when it suddenly accelerated, jumped over the curb, and crossed the median, striking an unoccupied car parked on the other side. I was able to stop my car only after the crash caused some minor damage to the front bumpers of both cars.

- Northbrook, IL, USA

Feb 252015

Camry 4-cyl

I have been owned this vehicle for last 5 yrs. I have complained about the speed every time I go to the dealer for service. I have complained about the down hill speed. Even if you put the cruise control on 45mil/hr still car gets speed up to 90 to 100 miles.on flat road car doesn't slow down even you do not push gas paddle. The dealer said it happens when you down the hill even if you use cruise control. I will take some body with me and video recording and post on line. I have been this problem since I bought the car. I have contacted Toyota for this but no result. My wife scare to drive this car. Please advise me how to resolve this issue or how to seek legal advise. I look forward to hearing back from you.

- Indio, CA, USA

Nov 262014

Camry

Letter from congressman garrett on behalf of constituent re problems with returning a 2010 Toyota Camry. The consumer stated the vehicle suddenly accelerated out of control. Consequently, the consumer crashed into a wall and the air bags did not deploy.

- Jersey City, NJ, USA

Nov 262014

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle independently accelerated without warning and the brakes would not respond when applied. As a result, the contact crashed into a wall and the air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained neck and shoulder injuries that required medical attention. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 29,000...updated 01/14/15 updated 6/11/2015

- Jersey City, NJ, USA

Oct 022014

Camry 4-cyl

I have been owning this vehicle since April 2010. I have complained about the accelerator problem every time I take car to the dealer for service. Down the hill road speed goes up to 110 miles/hr. Without pushing gas.I have wrote to Toyota but they said car is as factory design!!!.. I am driving this car going to indio to yucca valley, ca. Its a mountain road.if I put the car on cruise still speed going up. I have my wife and 9 yrs old daughter sometimes ride in the car. Please let me know what I need to do to resolve these issue.

- Indio, CA, USA

Sep 062014

Camry 4-cyl

Within approximately two minutes of a cold start had just made a left turn in the neighborhood. Was accelerating through approximately 20 mph when the car stalled. RPM dropped from 2,000 to near zero and speed dropped from 20 to approximately 10. The stall lasted a few seconds and then the engine speed increased and the car drove fine from there. This is the third time this has happened in three weeks.

- Olive Branch, MS, USA

Jun 142014

Camry

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while shifting into reverse, the vehicle unexpectedly accelerated and crashed into a wall. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. There were no injuries. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 59,000.

- Brockton , MA, USA

May 182014

Camry 4-cyl

On Sunday, May 18, 2014, I started my 2010 Toyota Camry and my check engine and vehicle stability control lights were on. I had no previous issues with the car. I called the local dealership on Monday morning to make an appointment, the first one I could get was just over a week away. I questioned the dealership if my car was safe to drive and they said yes, as long as the vsc light wasn't blinking. My car was checked by the dealership on May 27. I was told my brake actuator had gone out and the repairs were around $2,400 before taxes. The check engine light was from a charcoal canister that needed to be replaced, another $500+. the parts had to be ordered and it was May 30 when my car was ready. When questioning the dealership about why my brake actuator had gone out, they assured me that it was nothing I had done and they said they've had problems with others going out. After searching online I found that other models by Toyota have had recalls for the brake actuator. If the company is having problems with the same piece of equipment in other models, the recall should be expanded. Mine was not included in the recall, but it was faulty and failed. After searching, I also found there have been various issues with the charcoal canister as well in various models by the company. Perhaps research should be done on this issue also. My car is 4 years old and when I took it to the shop it had 54,259 miles. I called Toyota and they reiterated that my vehicle was not included in any recalls; therefore, at this point Toyota could do nothing about the repair.

- Mcandrews, KY, USA

Jul 012013

Camry 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while the vehicle was secured in park, the engine began to increase in rpms. After pressing on the brakes, the rpms returned to normal. The failure recurred twice. The manufacturer was notified, and offered no remedy. There was no diagnosis on the vehicle. The failure mileage was 39,000 and the current mileage 39,800. Updated 11/24/14 the consumer stated the vehicle began to increase in RPM's while in park. On a separate occasion, the vehicle accelerated, the consumer had to stomp on the brake a couple of times, to get the vehicle to stop. Updated 01/08/15

- Dodge City, KS, USA

Mar 182014

Camry 6-cyl

When drive my car ( 2010 Camry le) I have a problem with the cruise control. When set in cruise mode the car picks up speed to the point if I am behind a car I could crash into them if I don't hit the brake. This happens anytime I use the cruise. An accident. Waiting to happen if I am not watching close.

- Columbia , SC, USA

Sep 012013

Camry

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while driving 5 mph, the vehicle accelerated without manual force. As a result, the contact crashed into th rear of another vehicle. The contact did not sustain any injuries and a police report was not filed. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 48,000. Returned by usps on 11-19-2013. Second attempt on 11-20-2013 failed.

- Rome , NY, USA

Sep 102013

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while driving 5 mph, the brakes were applied but, were ineffective. The vehicle accelerated and crashed into two other vehicles. The vehicle was not destroyed and there were no injuries. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection but the cause of failure was unidentified. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 10,000. Updated 12/03/13 consumers handwriting is illegible. Updated 12/4/13

- Cliftwood Beach, NJ, USA

Aug 252013

Camry

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while attempting to park the vehicle, the vehicle accelerated without manual force. The contact was unable to stop the vehicle and crashed into a brick wall. The contact did not sustain any injuries and a police report was not filed. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Henderson , NV, USA

Aug 102013

Camry

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while driving 10 mph and attempting to exit a parking space, the vehicle suddenly accelerated, traveled over a side walk, crashed into a tree and finally crashed into a building. The air bags failed to deploy. The driver sustained injuries to the neck and the front passenger sustained injuries to the stomach and ribs. A police report was filed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the manufacturer was made aware of the failure. An engineer was sent to inspect the air bag and acceleration failure of the vehicle but it was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 70,000.

- Norcross, GA, USA

Apr 282013

Camry

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while driving 10 mph, another vehicle crashed into the contact's vehicle from the front driver's side. The vehicle then accelerated unintended until crashing into an embankment and several bushes. The contact sustained a concussion in the abdomen and the shoulder from the seat belt. A police report was filed. A diagnostic was not performed by a dealer or a private mechanic to determine the cause of the abnormal acceleration failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 10V017000 (vehicle speed control: Sticking accelerator pedal), for which the vehicle had been included and was previously repaired. The failure and current mileage was unknown.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Apr 122013

Camry 4-cyl

My car can't accelerate and when I try my car kick back and forth plus it accelerated by itself.

- Miami, FL, USA