2011 Toyota Camry drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Toyota Camry:

2011 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Sep 212011

Camry 4-cyl

Transmission whines at low speeds, very annoying. It slips between 1st & 2nd gear. Down shifts rough. Something bumps around trunk when taking off & stopping. Dealer tells me that all this is normal. I will never buy another Toyota ever. My advise to others, don't buy 2011 Camry, you'll be sorry.

- Chandler, TX, USA

Apr 062011

Camry

Ever since I bought the car (4 cyl., xle) a year ago: Automatic transmission shifts sometimes slowly after a pause or unexpectedly and abruptly as it searches for gears, and it races intermittently, especially at start-up; it coasts a few inches after I put it into park, even on level ground. Power steering requires constant correction, even on level road surfaces. Cruise control is slow to respond to adjustments from lever on stem. Dealer's service dept. Claims, after 4 attempts to diagnose, that the car performs as designed, so my complaint will need to be with the design.

- Lake Bluff, IL, USA

Jan 242012

Camry 4-cyl

There is a transmission issue at low speeds, mostly city driving, the car jerks with abrupt shifting, and sometimes harsh shifting. Also it feels like the car pauses a little when shifting at low speeds. This problem is very consistent among other owners in forums I have reviewed. It needs to be addressed and fixed.

- Riverview, FL, USA

Sep 062011

Camry

At low speed (15-39 mph), the transmission shift roughly. The car was either pulled back (1) by the engine or jumped (2, while my foot on the break pedal) during the down shift. The pulling back (1) gives the same effect as using engine breaking in the manual transmission. Based on the signs that I have seen on interstate, state laws (in some states) prohibit driver to use engine breaking. The jumping (2) was very bad. The car needed approximately 3-10 feet more to stop due to the unpredictable jumping behavior. Well 3-10 feet does not seem to be a lot but let say if you are 1 foot away from running over a living thing.......... this problem have happened since I bought the car new and they still be a serious problem. I have been driven about 10-20 cars (including rentals) but I have never experienced the jumping (2, while my foot on the break pedal) until I bought this Camry. After reading the reviews online, this seems to be a common problem for this model. This problem needs immediate attentions.

- Fort Myers, FL, USA

Apr 152011

Camry 4-cyl

My vehicle at below 40 mph, mostly city driving, the car jerks with abrupt shifting, and sometimes harsh shifting. Also it feels like the car pauses a little when shifting at low speeds. The car takes off like it rushes rather than a smooth acceleration, though I press the gas pedal gently. This really bothers me during the rush hour because my both kids are in the back seat at that time. I have been to the Toyota dealer but they said they couldn't reproduce the problem. Some one please, please please help me with this. It really bothers me after spending lot on money on this car, I can't even drive it safe and its really dangerous driving around the city with my family thinking about what will happen at the next stop light.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Oct 142011

Camry

Soon after I bought this brand new 2011 Camry the car started acting weird. A constant problem that appear a lot of time when I am driving concerns the transmission. At low speeds, mostly city driving, the car jerks with abrupt shifting, and sometimes harsh shifting. Also it feels like the car pauses a little when shifting at low speeds. The thing that concerns me and my wife the most is that the car takes off like it rushes rather than a smooth acceleration, although we both press the gas pedal really gently. This mostly happens at low speeds when we are driving in the city where heavy traffic might be present. This is making both of us very concerned about our safety. We are concerned to the point that we both stopped driving the car unless we really have to, we rely on our second car which is a BMW. One other issue is that the car feels like it is going to stall when I release my foot from the acceleration. This happens at both slow speeds and high speeds.

- Falls Church , VA, USA

Nov 012010

Camry 4-cyl

2011 Toyota Camry. Consumer states unintended shift into neutral the consumer stated she was able to pull over to the side of the road and the shift the gear back into drive.

- Huntington, NY, USA