2011 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Toyota Camry:

2011 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Dec 012011

Change in gears jerky and between 20-40mph the car drags during acceleration it feel like something is trying to pull the car back.when it finally moves to the next gear it jumps into gear. I have complained to Toyota many time and as usual once taken to the dealer to check no one seems to be able to recreate the problem. I am disappointed in Toyota, I have always driven Toyota and finally decided to buy a new car due to traveling to work long distances and gave my daughter my 1999 Camry which I like driving better than my new one. I stuck with Toyota and they have let me and many more consumers down, they know this is a problem and false advertise a smooth ride.

- Clarksburg, MD, USA

Nov 192010

Camry 4-cyl

This vehicle was involved in an accident in the home driveway of the owners of the vehicle. As the owner was turning into his driveway, a tire blew out on the vehicle's right front passenger side. As the driver/owner hit the brake the car accelerated into the side rock barrier of the driveway. According to Toyota who investigated the incident, there was no issue with vehicle. But another incident has recently happened involving the car this year which will be reported on a separate form which shows us their is an unsafe issue with the vehicle that requires Toyota to be investigated.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jun 172011

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Camry. The contact stated while driving approximately 35 to 40 mph down hill, the vehicle suddenly accelerated up to 75 mph. The rpms increased up to 5 or 6 for approximately one minute. The driver placed the vehicle into neutral and then back into drive in order for the vehicle to slow down. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who advised her that they were unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 4,500. Updated 12/12/11 updated 01/19/12 the consumer applied the brake, but the vehicle did not respond. The consumer lifted his foot off the brake, shifted to neutral, and applied the brake again, but the vehicle continued to roar loudly and at a high speed. The consumer then shifted to drive and then to S-mode while applying the brake. The vehicle finally stopped roaring, slowed down and responded normal. The dealer was unable to duplicate the problem. Updated 01/19/12

- Orange , CA, USA

Sep 102011

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Camry. While driving 15 mph, there was sudden acceleration and as the contact depressed the brakes, the vehicle drove over the curb and stopped in an empty parking lot. The vehicle was able to be driven from the scene and there were no injuries. The insurance company was contacted. There were damages to the bottom of the vehicle from the debris of trees the vehicle traveled over while in the parking lot. The vehicle was towed to the dealer and the manufacturer was contacted. The manufacturer stated that they would send out a representative to inspect the vehicle. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 26,000. Updated 11/03/2011

- Seaside, OR, USA

Aug 172011

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Camry. While depressing the brake pedal and attempting to merge into a parking space at approximately 20 mph the vehicle suddenly accelerated and crashed into a brick wall. There was damage to the building and to the front end of the vehicle. The air bags did not deploy. A police report was filed. The contact sustained injuries to her neck and sought medical attention from her doctor. The vehicle was towed to an auto body repair shop. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated a case manager would follow up with the contact. The approximate failure mileage was 2,500.

- Maywood, NJ, USA

May 192011

While backing out of the driveway, the car suddenly accelerated beyond my control. The car accelerated across the street and onto the sidewalk and crashed into the fence of a schoolyard across the street from my house. We narrowly missed children playing. The back of the car is totaled. Thankfully, no one was hurt. The car is now located in a body shop suggested by geico, my insurance carrier. We are asking them not to proceed with repairs until we contact this Agency and Toyota America.

- Flushing, NY, USA

Mar 072011

Just 5 second after pulling out from parking space, while going around the school bus and trying to avoid the car going toward me, pushed the accelerator pedal. The car speed up at whole power and I was not able to stop it. It filed approximately 90 feet reaching speed at least 50 mph in approximately 1-2 second. I was trying to push the pedal to stop it, and at the same time trying to avoid collision with the traffic in front of me, I managed to jump on a curb and eventually stopped after hitting a building and after my car flipped on the driver side. I strongly believe something, inside the car (either mechanical or automatic system) prevented me stopping the car timely. There was no injury, building were damaged just slightly, my car was destroyed, but it has a full coverage. The whole crash was tapped by a security camera. It clearly shows the acceleration of the car, which everybody, who watched it, believe couldn't be done by person, but mostly by a car itself. That simply looks for me something the same as it was in previous Toyota recalls.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jan 152011

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Camry. While attempting to decelerate, the vehicle suddenly accelerated without warning causing her to crash into a pole. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The manufacturer sent an investigator to retrieve the black box from the vehicle however, they were unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer informed the contact that the crash was not caused by a manufacturing defect and offered no further assistance. The manufacturer did not give the dealer authorization to repair the vehicle and the vehicle was not repaired. The current and failure mileage was 6,000. Updated 03/24/11 updated 1/5/11

- Cumberland Foreside, ME, USA

Nov 202010

Camry 4-cyl

Heading East on rt. 41 and upon intering an intersection on a green ligth I slowed to allow 2 cars to pass from the oncoming East traffic before making a left turn North onto a 4 lane street. Upon accelerating to make the turn, the car hit the right curb at a high rate of speed causing me to quickly steer to the left to stop me from hitting the on coming traffic from the North.. I managed to cross two lanes but in the third lane was hit by an oncoming South bound vehicle.. my car was then stopped by the left hand curb. The other vehicle was demolished and $8,000 damage was caused to my front end. The air bags in the demolished car were deployed but mine were not. I feel as though the vehicle suddenly excelerated causing the accident so after having the car repaired and checked I could not feel safe in it so traded it off the one that I could.

- Covington, OH, USA

Dec 092010

Camry 4-cyl

On 9 Dec 2010, I drove a rental car, 2011 Toyota Camry (blue) from Virginia back to New Jersey (NJ). The car had 3316 miles when I rent on 8 Dec 2010 in NJ. At approximately 6:35 pm edt on 9 Dec 2010, I was driving in the most left express lane at 60 mph in prince george's county in Maryland. The driver from my right hand passenger side tended to pass me from the right, and that car was also very close to me. I could not even see the rear light of that vehicle. I was forced to slow down the 2011 Toyota Camry to avoid collision, but the car could not simply slow down. In order to avoid the collision, I shift part of my car to the shoulder in my left hand side. Then I discovered a car parked on the shoulder with no signals/lights. I put on brakes the 2011 Toyota Camry really hard to the floor, but the car could not slow down and could not stop completely. The brake system in the 2011 Toyota Camry was obviously failed and it was even accelerated during the last few seconds prior to the collision. The 2011 Toyota Camry was finally hit right onto back of the parked car (on the shoulder). After the severe collision at the front driver side, none of the airbags in the 2011 Toyota Camry was deployed from this sever front driver side collision. Most of all, I was not able to stop the 2011 Toyota Camry due to its braking system failure! the mileage after the collision was 3595 and the total number of miles driving during this trip was 279 miles (8-9 Dec 2010). I was hurt severely in the lower back/lumbar spine area. I was very lucky that I was survived from this severe car accident.

- Freehold, NJ, USA

Dec 212010

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the vehicle was in the idle position when the accelerator pedal suddenly extended to the floorboard and the vehicle accelerated. The vehicle accelerated up to 20 mph and the contact used all of her weight to depress the brake pedal and turned the vehicle off. The dealer stated that the accelerator pedal must have gotten stuck under the floor mat but the contact believed otherwise. The VIN was unavailable. The current and failure mileages were 800.

- San Anselmo, CA, USA

Aug 202010

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Camry. While driving 30 mph and approaching a stop sign, the contact applied the brakes and the vehicle abnormally accelerated. She then applied the brakes with more force and the vehicle continued to accelerate, increasing in speed. Another vehicle crashed into her bumper. The driver of the other vehicle turned and then proceeded to crash into a light pole, the vehicle stopped after crashing into the pole. The contact was not injured. A police report was available. The vehicle was towed to a local body repair facility where the contact was awaiting repairs. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was unknown.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jul 082010

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Camry. While driving at 2 mph entering a parking space, the vehicle abnormally accelerated. The contact attempted to brake and the vehicle began to skid. The vehicle jumped a curved and crashed into another parked vehicle. The driver's side of the contact's vehicle sustained substantial damage. The air bags did not deploy although there were no injuries reported. A police report was available. The vehicle was taken to a local body repair facility where the contact was awaiting repairs. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure and current mileage was 200.

- Saint Helena, CA, USA

Jul 082010

I was slowed pulling into a parking spot. The car suddenly gave a roaring sound and headed full speed ahead. I assume I must have let my foot slip onto the gas but I'm not sure that is what happened. I thought I'd report to see if anyone else's incurs a problem. I was assured the sudden acceleration problem did not exist on the 2011's. the force was so hard, it knocked a Toyota truck in front of me out of the parking space and into the street. It was not drivable and had to be towed. I also took out the van beside me. My Camry suffered bumper and lights damage and a slight ripple to the hood. The damage was unbelievably slight considering the damage to the other two vehicles.

- Brentwood, TN, USA

Jun 022010

Camry 4-cyl

2011 Toyota Camry le. Consumer states vehicle suddenly surged forward while driving the consumer stated when he used the cruise control feature, the vehicle suddenly surged to a speed just over 75 mph, even though the cruise control was set at 70 mph. After braking back to the desired 70 mph, he continued to drive. The consumer stated the incident happened a second time, and the vehicle accelerated to 80 mph.

- San Diego, CA, USA