2011 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Toyota Camry:

2011 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jul 192016

Camry

July 2016 I was pulling away from my bank atm at approx.2-5 mph in my 2011 Toyota Camry when the car took off. The car accelerated so fast. I hit the brakes but it didn't stop the car. I missed a car and a van, went up over the parking block and hit a pole. That stopped me! I had 2 passengers in the car. Somehow no one got hurt. I had 3 blown tires and the right side window broken out with damage to that door. The front bumper was pulled from the body. The car has damage to the tie rod and will have to be replaced. Front end alignment will also have to be done. My car had to be towed home. Airbags did not deploy. I called the dealership from which I bought it from but it's been over 10 days and several phone calls with no response. This seems to be a problem with 2011 Camry's from the complaints I have read. When will something be done about this, after a death? the problem needs to be addressed asap.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Nov 012015

Camry

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Camry. While parking the vehicle, it accelerated on its own. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 84,000.

- Garfield, NJ, USA

Oct 032015

Camry

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Camry. While backing up in a parking area, the gear was shifted into drive and the vehicle accelerated at a high rate of speed without warning. The contact applied force to the brake pedal, which did not slow down the vehicle. As a result, the vehicle crashed into a tree. The vehicle was towed to a repair shop and the contact and two passengers were not injured. A police report was not filed. The air bags did not deploy. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and indicated that the contact would receive a response within a month. The approximate failure mileage was 66,350. Updated 1/21/16

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Jun 012015

Camry

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Camry. While driving at approximately 5 mph and turning into a parking lot, the vehicle accelerated without warning. The vehicle traveled over a concrete parking divider. The contact sustained a foot injury. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the vehicle was not driveable. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 34,000.

- Ballwin, MO, USA

Dec 012012

Camry

Whenever I am stopped and put my foot on the accelerator, the car shoots forward rapidly. This does not happen when the car is already in motion--only when resuming travel after stopping at a stop sign, or when I first get into the car and begin travel. I am conscious of this and really try to ease down on the accelerator, but I still notice a sudden increase in speed, one I have never experienced before in other cars I have owned (I am in my 60S and have owned and driven many vehicles.) I am concerned about this for safety reasons in a busy intersection and also don't want to cause my passengers or myself whiplash or discomfort with a sudden start.

- Cedar Park, TX, USA

Nov 292014

Camry

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Camry. While driving approximately 25 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed and the vehicle violently accelerated. As a result, the contact crashed into the rear of another vehicle and the air bags failed to deploy. A police report was not filed and no injuries were reported. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- Richwood, OH, USA

Jul 092014

Camry 6-cyl

Toyota unintended acceleration my wife pulled into the office building parking lot, with her foot on the brake, slowing down to park perpendicular to the curb. The engine raced. The car lurched forward, jumped the curb, ran over four feet of mulch and loom and crashed into a stockade fence. Fourteen days later on July 23 rd, the same thing happened again. The Camry lurched forward causing $8,362 worth of damage to the car. Again another section of the fence had to be replaced. The report pre-crash data showed that in 1.9 seconds the Camry went from 2.5 mph to 17.5 mph. The engine went from 400 to 4000 RPM. It also showed that there was no pressure on the car accelerator.

- Braintree, MA, USA

Jul 102014

Camry 4-cyl

I was in a slow lane of traffic going around a mail carrier. Suddenly, my car sped up, on its' own. I had to avoid the car in front of me and met about 4-5 cars head on. Thank goodness, the cars I was meeting pulled off the road and let me zoom thru. I probably took about 20 to 30 seconds for me to stop. As I started around the other cars I applied my brakes and they made a screeching sound but did not stop the car. I have no idea how fast my car went"?" my car left no skid marks, I have a case number with Toyota and was told to go to my Toyota dealer which I did a week or so later after reading descriptions of the same thing happening to other Toyota drivers. The service man showed me what to do in case that should happen again, indicating to me there has been a problem with other 2011 Toyota's.

- Pell City, AL, USA

Dec 032013

Camry

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Camry. While pulling into a parking space, the vehicle accelerated independently and crashed into a house. A police report was not filed and no injuries were reported. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic, but no diagnostic results were available. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage and speed were unavailable.

- Winter Park, FL, USA

May 052014

Camry 4-cyl

As I pulled on to the driveway at a funeral home, my car started speeding, crashed into a brick wall, at which the air bag popped open, the car bounced off the wall, started spinning in circles, crashed over a concrete barrier, and started spinning again and crashed into another car which was totaled. I thought I was applying the brakes & even tried to turn the car off with the key. But after the crash people asked me if I had my foot on the accelerator, and I said I must have, but couldn't understand how I could have mistaken one for the other. I have been driving since 18 years of age, and have never had that happen. I couldn't understand how and told my doctor I was afraid to drive again (4 days after the accident) he told me to wait a month or two until I was feeling better from the severe sprain to my neck and shoulder, and bad bruising of my breast about a month ago my brother in Florida told me about problems with my model of Toyota with the accelerator sticking. I never really thought about that could have been the cause, nothing else made sense to me unless I was loosing my mind, and everybody I know assure me "no"

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Aug 152014

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while attempting to turn into a parking space, the vehicle inadvertently accelerated and crashed into a brick wall while the brake pedal was engaged. The driver sustained bruising on the legs and the front passenger sustained muscle and neck sores due to the air bag deployment. The driver and passenger required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000. Updated 9/19/14 the consumer stated the dealer was notified and did not offer any assistance. Udated 02/11/2015

- Arlington, MA, USA

Jan 012012

Camry

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the accelerator and brake pedal were extremely close together and causing the contact to accelerate unintended on several occasions. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 20 and the current mileage was 11,400.

- Secane, PA, USA

Jul 072014

Camry 4-cyl

There is a transmission issue at low speeds, mostly city driving, the car jerks with abrupt shifting, and sometimes harsh shifting. Also it feels like the car pauses a little when shifting at low speeds. The car jerks with abrupt shifting, and sometimes harsh shifting. Also it feels like the car pauses a little when shifting at low speeds. The car takes off like it rushes rather than a smooth acceleration, though I press the gas pedal gently, also on more than one occasion a loud thumping sound has been heard coming from the transmission as the car is slowing down and is in process of downshifting around 20mph.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 172014

Camry 4-cyl

I was pulling into a parking space at a speed of approximately 10 mph when my Toyota Camry 2011 suddenly accelerated. I hit the brake immediately to stop the car's forward acceleration to avoid hitting a tree. The brake stopped the forward motion of the wheels with the car body lurching forward.

- Plainsboro, NJ, USA

Nov 282013

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Camry. While driving approximately 5 mph, the vehicle independently accelerated and crashed over the curb. There was minor damage to the vehicle. There were no injuries. The dealer was unable to diagnose the failure and stated it would take three weeks for the vehicle to inspected by the manufacturer. The inspector performed a diagnostic test and indicated they couldn't determine the cause of failure. The vehicle was repaired at the owners expense. The failure mileage was 11,918. Updated 06/09/14 updated 06/13/2014

- Wynnewood, PA, USA

Nov 122012

Camry

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while at a traffic stop, the engine roared abnormally loud right before rapidly accelerating. The contact was able to stop the vehicle without incident. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who was unable to diagnose the failure. No repairs were performed. The contact stated that the failure occurred on two separate occasions. The manufacturer was notified but no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 10,431.

- Windsor Mill , MD, USA

Feb 202014

Camry

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle would not decelerate when the contact removed pressure from the accelerator pedal. The failure also occurred when the cruise control function was activated. The contact would apply the brakes when using cruise control, the cruise control indicator light would shut off but the vehicle would maintain the set speed. The failure only occurred in 10 degree weather or below. The vehicle was neither diagnosed nor repaired. The contact notified the manufacturer of the defect. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 34,200.

- Montpelier, OH, USA

Nov 232013

• 1,115,201 miles
New brakes were put on my car on 11/23/13. A short time later, I was approaching a red light and began to slow down. Upon doing so the ABS system kicked in and when I applied my foot to the breaks they would not work. As I approached the intersection, I made a sharp right 90 degree turn to avoid going through the red light as the vehicle would not stop and I would have been in a terrible accident. The road was not wet but it had rained earlier in the day and the road was dry. I returned vehicle to dealer and was told they could not repeat the situation and everything was okay. They told me that even if the road is dry once it rains, the road can still have particles on it that cause the ABS to kick in. This continued to happen intermittently about once a month. In the past month, it has happened every few days. My son was driving the car in late Feb. And he went over a very small pile of leaves that would not warrant the ABS to kick in. He too was almost involved in a wreck. Car went back to dealer but dealer can find what was wrong. The ABS severely reacts when it should not be doing so. The ABS is engaging when it should not be doing so. If one goes over a road that is barely wet or a small patch of drive leaves, as I did the other night, the ABS kicks in and locks up the car. When I touch on the breaks lightly coming to a stop, there are no breaks and then they suddenly grab really hard. Breaks feel like air is in the line. This did not occur until they put new breaks in my car at 30,000 miles. In addition, the transmission is whining, shifting roughly and not shifting when it is supposed to. My vehicle has been at the dealership for over a week and they said they will be keeping it at least until this coming wed. When a Toyota field inspector will be coming to inspect the car.

- Largo, FL, USA

Jan 292014

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that after shifting into drive, the vehicle erroneously accelerated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was not available. Updated 03/12/14 the dealer was unable to find a problem. Updated 03/21/14

- Agawam, MA, USA

Aug 162013

Camry

I was slowly pulling into a parking space adjacent to the putting green at my condominium. My foot was on the brake pedal when the car suddenly surged forward, jumped the curb, and hit a concrete bench placed at the edge of the green. The brake did not work. The impact was so forceful it destroyed the bench, and the car had to be jacked up to get it off a large piece of concrete. Thank goodness the golfer was not close to the car. The car was subsequently repaired for $2,410.58 in damages. Being afraid that this "sudden acceleration" would occur again, I traded the car in for a different brand. Because of "frame damage" (which goes to show the force and speed of impact), I only received $10,000 for my trade-in instead of the $14,000 blue book/edmunds/nada value.

- St Petersburg, FL, USA