CarComplaints.com Notes: There must have been something in the water at the plant where they built the eighth generation Corollas, especially the 1998 and 1999 model years.

Outside of a few engine related issues for the 1999, these are about as dependable a car as you’ll find. And remember most of these cars have 200k miles on them by now. But good luck finding one; owners say they want a new car, but can’t justify trading in their Corolla because the darn thing just keeps rolling.

8.5

2. engine replacement (1 reports)
1999 Toyota Corolla engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Toyota Corolla:

1999 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments

Jun 012015

Corolla VE

I bought this Toyota Corolla 1999 new as called very reliable car. I started noticing oil burning problems. It may cost around $1500 to $2000 to fix this issue. When checked online lot's of people of same issue with Toyota Corolla from 1998 and 2000.

It is consuming close to 1qt of oil for 500 miles.

I lost trust on Toyota and not recommend to buy them.

Toyota should address this issue and fix this issue with huge discount.

- , Hillsborough, nj, USA

Jun 012012

Corolla LE 1.8L

I bought this corolla at 150,000 miles from a dealership on Albany, NY. I bought it at a good price of 4000. They said it had no problems. After about 2 weeks, my oil light came on and i checked my oil to find it was low. Immediately i went and put oil in it. Every two weeks it got low so i knew it was burning oil. I spend 20$ a month on a 5 qt jug. $20x12= $240 a month. Overall I'm at 170,000 miles and mechanic told me i need a new engine...toyota wtf!!! I have 4 cars from toyota, my family is toyota heads. I called toyota to see if they can help me out and i basically got shut down because my warranty is not in effect. Well if you make cars that can last long then you should have nothing to worry about. My corolla runs but not unless i put money in it every DAMN MONTH,

- , Latham, NY, USA

Jan 012003

Corolla 1.8L

Pretty much has been a great little car. Just have to be on the alert every 1000 miles to add oil.

- , Pleasant Valley, NY, USA

Jul 232006

Corolla VE 1.8L

The car was described the same way people describe a wonderful city; i.e. good schools and lovely people. I got Detroit.

It has drunk oil since I got it at 86,000 miles. Its not at 150,000 and getting worse. Additionally, Ive been through a starter and brakes, understandable repairs. The harmonic balancer failed, too. Its expensive and time consuming to keep adding oil to this thing. Add up 3.00 a week since 2006. $864.00 farted out the back.

The worst part is when people find out you drive a corolla and they start raving about what a great car you have. "No," you reply. And then they act like you dropped your pork burrito in the Golden Mosque.

- , H, VA, USA