CarComplaints.com Notes: There must have been something in the water at the plant where they built the eighth generation Corollas, especially the 1998 and 1999 model years.

Outside of a few engine related issues for the 1999, these are about as dependable a car as you’ll find. And remember most of these cars have 200k miles on them by now. But good luck finding one; owners say they want a new car, but can’t justify trading in their Corolla because the darn thing just keeps rolling.

9.0

2. replace starter (1 reports)
1999 Toyota Corolla engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Toyota Corolla:

1999 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments

Jul 012015

Corolla VE 1.8L

I've had this problem off and on for the past 4 years! It's like my Corolla has a mind of its own and only starts when it wants too. No specific time of day or temp. Its becoming a very unreliable car unlike what everyone says about corollas. I went to get everything tested electronically at Autozone, advanced auto parts and O'reily Auto Parts and they all say everything is fine. Obviously something is wrong... So here i am, getting rides from other people just to get to work when all of the sudden my POS Corolla doesn't start.

- , Oxford, OH, USA

Jan 092014

Corolla 1.8L

The starter had been going bad....would click several times before starting. I bought a starter to fix it. However, one day going to work I lost complete power and the car was smoking...electrical burning smell..smoke from alternater. Had it towed. Starter didnt disengage. We had several days of 7-10 degree days warming up to the 60's then back down. Must have been hard on the car.

Fix was a new starter and a new battery. Plus a tow bill. yet to pay that????

- , Pleasant Valley, NY, USA