CarComplaints.com Notes: Beware of the NHTSA complaint data for the 2007 Corolla. It is almost certainly misleading.

The problem with NHTSA data for the 2007 Corolla is that for months on end, the news media repeatedly told the public that several Toyota models have an unintended acceleration defect, & to go to safercar.gov (the NHTSA's website) to file a complaint.

So, the NHTSA received a disproportionate number of complaints about Toyota unintended acceleration issues because of the national news media attention, to the point where now the NHTSA data is unreliable taken in context with any other vehicle that did not receive national news attention.

CarComplaints.com typically receives more complaints per day about vehicles than the NHTSA does, but the news media did not repeatedly say "go to CarComplaints.com to report your Toyota acceleration problems" like they did about the NHTSA -- so although we have less complaint data than the NHTSA for the 2007 Corolla, our data for the Corolla is a far more statistically accurate representation of the Corolla's reliability than what the NHTSA data shows.

2007 Toyota Corolla engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Corolla:

2007 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Feb 232016

Corolla

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Corolla. While at a stop with the brake pedal depressed, the vehicle independently accelerated. As a result, the contact crashed into a garage and the air bags failed to deploy. The contact did not sustain any injuries. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic who was unable to diagnose or repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V285000 (air bags). The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Brookline, MA, USA

Feb 062016

Corolla

Toyota Corolla ce travels about speed limit 30 - 35 miles without touching the gas pedal. Did not have to press gas pedal to have the vehicle travel.

- Keaau, HI, USA

Jun 062015

Corolla

This happened about four weeks apart with two different drivers under similar conditions. We were slowing to stop at a stop sign traveling 5-10 mph and when we applied the brake, the engine reved up. When it happened to me the the car wouldn't stop when I applied the brake so I put the car into neutral and thus avoided hitting car ahead of me. I took the vehicle to my local Toyota dealer. They had it for a day and half and said they could find nothing wrong. They said I should remove my after market car mat ( which I have) and suggested that both drivers had applied the brake and accelorator at the same time. I think this is highly unlikely as my foot isn't wide enough to do both unless my foot is nearly off the brake. The car mat in question has been the car for 6 plus years and is a custom made one which does not slip.

- Bloomington, MN, USA

Jul 082015

Corolla

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Corolla. When the contact shifted the gear into park, the vehicle suddenly accelerated forward, drove over a concrete parking bump, and crashed into a fence near a patio area. The contact was able to change the gear back into park and park the vehicle. A police report was filed and there were no injuries. The dealer advised the contact to notify the manufacturer. The manufacturer was to provide a third party investigation of the unintended acceleration failure. The contact was scheduled for a third party inspection for further diagnosis to determine the failure. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V286000 (air bags), but the contact did not receive a recall notice. The approximate failure mileage was 51,874.

- Berlin, MD, USA

Nov 032014

Corolla 4-cyl

2007 Toyota Corolla. The consumer described the accelerator pedal as touchy.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jul 302013

Corolla 4-cyl

Re: Toyota 2007 Corolla: When driving (in reverse) out of our driveway, on several occasions the car would suddenly jerk, emit a lot of fumes, and it would take off on its own. Putting pressure on the brakes would not stop the car- only turning off the ignition key stops the car. Last time this occurred was on November 4, 2014. After driving out of the driveway and changing gears from reverse to drive, the car again jerked, made a left turn, drove across our lawn, through the bushes and to our next door neighbor?S lawn. We are lucky that it did not slam into our house or the electric pole close to our driveway- either one would probably have killed us. The car has its own mind and does not respond to anything that the driver tries to do to stop the car from moving other than turning off the ignition key. The Toyota dealer, of course, asserts that there is nothing wrong with the car.

- Cleveland Heights, OH, USA

Sep 032014

Corolla 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Corolla. While stopped at a traffic light, the vehicle suddenly accelerated. In order to stop the vehicle, the contact had to depress the brake pedal with both feet. The vehicle was merged into a parking lot and towed to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician was unable to locate the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 72,930. Updated 12/09/14 updated 6/1/2015

- Ventress , LA, USA

Aug 132014

Corolla 4-cyl

While entering a curve my car slowed down then all of a sudden accelerated to an uncontrollable speed, I tried to regain control of my car by tapping on the brakes which did not help my situation as a matter of fact it made things worse, to avoid oncoming traffic I hit a pole again at a high rate of speed which made my car spin, I am a professional school bus driver & have taken this and many other curves for years, I could not explain why this car did what it did, as a result of this crash I received a reckless driver ticket and 2 points on my license because it was a one car accident, the only explanation that the authorities could give me was hydroplane, thats not what happened it was as if this car my car of 7 years had a mind of its on and started racing.

- Fords, NJ, USA

Jun 202014

Corolla

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that while driving approximately 57 mph, the vehicle suddenly accelerated and the power steering malfunctioned causing the driver to lose control of the vehicle and crash into a hill. There were no injuries. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 62,000.

- Tustin, CA, USA

May 012014

Corolla 4-cyl

2007 Toyota Corolla. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle sudden acceleration. The consumer stated his son was killed in an accident. He stated one of the photo's from the scene, showed the shifter was in the neutral position. The consumer would like to know, if the same defect part was used in the Corolla models, that caused the vehicle to accelerate on its own.

- Napanoch, NY, USA

Jun 152013

Corolla

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated while driving 2 mph into a parking space, she depressed the brake pedal and the vehicle accelerated. The failure caused the contact to crash into a wall and the air bags deployed. The vehicle was destroyed and she sustained injuries to her shoulder and ribs. The contact notified the dealer prior to the crash and they stated that they did not know the cause of failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- Melborne, FL, USA

Nov 272012

Corolla

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the accelerator pedal seized without warning. The contact was unable to stop the vehicle and crashed into a concrete divider. The contact sustained head, neck and back injuries associated with the crash. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician advised that the failure was not able to be diagnosed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 67,000 and the current mileage was 68,000.

- Barnegat, NJ, USA

Feb 182013

Corolla

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated while at a stop sign and preparing to accelerate, the accelerator pedal seized without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician stated the failure was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 66,000. Updated 04-03-13

- Rockford, IL, USA

Jan 172013

Corolla

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that while driving at low speeds, the accelerator pedal seized without warning. The driver was unable to stop the vehicle and crashed into three parked vehicles in the process. The police were contacted and a report was available. There were no injuries associated with the crash. The vehicle was later towed to a dealer. The vehicle was pending an investigation. The failure and current mileages were approximately 85,000.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Jan 122013

Corolla 4-cyl

I had a previous incident in July, 2010 when the gas pedal felt like it stuck and the car suddenly accelerated. I took the car in to sandy springs Toyota at that time and made a complaint. On January 12, 2013, as I was pulling into my driveway, the same thing happened again and the gas pedal felt like it stuck and the car suddenly accelerated, crashing into my garage and house. The crash caused extensive damage to both the car and the house.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Sep 122012

Corolla 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that while driving approximately 10 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and there was a sudden increase in the acceleration. The vehicle failed to slow down after several attempts. The vehicle continued to travel and crashed into five unoccupied parked vehicles. The two front tires detached from the vehicle. The contact sustained minor injuries to the back. A police report was filed. The vehicle was completely destroyed and towed to a savage facility. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 62,000. Updated 01/02/2013 updated 1/9/2013

- Severna Park, MD, USA

Mar 232012

Corolla

I own a 2007 Toyota Corolla. Last Friday, I was driving at a regular speed about 35 mph and my Corolla accelerated. I tried to apply the brake and it continued to accelerate for awhile. I did not know what to do; so, I prayed. I was coming to a traffic light to make a left turn not knowing if the car was going to stop, and I tried the brake again. Finally, the car slowed down. I drove it 10 mph until I reached my house. I called the dealership and told them what happened. They blamed me. I told them that I would not drive the car again and towed it to the dealership. The Toyota dealership kept the car and kept it for four days. The mechanics at the dealership test drove the car and said that there was nothing wrong. I told them that I would not drive it. They said they would bring in a specialist that would be in on Monday or Tuesday. They called me on Monday and said that the master mechanic at the dealership looked at it instead and a specialist would not be brought in to look at the car. The master mechanic said that there was nothing wrong with the car. They would not fix it. They did a state inspection on the car and passed it. When I picked up the car, my daughter spoke to a service department advisor. She showed him all the evidence that she found on the internet about problems owners' had with Toyota cars accelerating out-of-control. They listened and still said that there was nothing wrong when they checked the car, but could not do anything. She told him that she realized that Toyota headquarters must have sent a script to all dealers because their dealership along with others said the exact same thing. She told him that she just wanted it documented that I spoke up and confronted them about the issue and told him how concerned I was about my safety as well as others. I am 73 years old and want to be safe for me and others.

- Springfield, MA, USA

Mar 142011

Corolla

2007 Toyota Corolla. Consumer states unintended acceleration the consumer stated as she was pulling into a parking space, with her foot on the brake and almost to the parking bumper, when suddenly, she heard a click and then a noise. She removed her foot from the brake and the vehicle jumped the bumper, went through some grass to a driveway and entered the parking lot. She was able to put the gear in neutral and crashed into a tree. The consumer suffered minor back pain. The vehicle was totaled.

- Miami, FL, USA

Mar 142011

Corolla 4-cyl

2007 Toyota Corolla. Consumer states unintended acceleration the consumer stated as she was pulling into a parking space, with her foot on the brake and almost to the parking bumper, when all of a sudden she heard a click sound from the vehicle and then a loud noise. She took her foot off the brake, but the vehicle jumped the bumper and went through some grass to a driveway and re-entered the parking lot. The consumer was able to put the vehicle in neutral and crashed into a tree. The vehicle was totaled. The consumer suffered back injuries.

- Miami, FL, USA

Sep 122011

Corolla 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that the vehicle abnormally and rapidly accelerated. The contact crashed into a cement handicap pole. The driver sustained spinal and neck injuries and was transported to the hospital. A police report was filed. The vehicle was taken to an auto body shop and was in the process of repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 80,000... updated 10/21/11 updated 11/07/11

- Middleboro, MA, USA