CarComplaints.com Notes: Beware of the NHTSA complaint data for the 2008 Corolla. It is almost certainly misleading.

The problem with NHTSA data for the 2008 Corolla is that for months on end, the news media repeatedly told the public that several Toyota models have an unintended acceleration defect, & to go to safercar.gov (the NHTSA's website) to file a complaint.

So, the NHTSA received a disproportionate number of complaints about Toyota unintended acceleration issues because of the national news media attention, to the point where now the NHTSA data is unreliable taken in context with any other vehicle that did not receive national news attention.

CarComplaints.com typically receives more complaints per day about vehicles than the NHTSA does, but the news media did not repeatedly say "go to CarComplaints.com to report your Toyota acceleration problems" like they did about the NHTSA -- so although we have less complaint data than the NHTSA for the 2008 Corolla, our data for the Corolla is a far more statistically accurate representation of the Corolla's reliability than what the NHTSA data shows.

2008 Toyota Corolla seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Corolla:

2008 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments (Page 4 of 6)

Jun 052016

Corolla

The contact owned a 2008 Toyota Corolla. While the vehicle was parked, the passenger side air bag caught fire without warning. A fire and a police report were not filed. The vehicle was not occupied. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 110,000. The vehicle was destroyed. The VIN was not available.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jun 012016

Corolla

The contact owned a 2008 Toyota Corolla. While driving 55 mph, another vehicle crashed into the driver side of the contact's vehicle. The contact's vehicle collided into a guardrail. The air bags did not deploy. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed and towed. The contact sustained head injuries and bruising to the ribs, chest, and lower torso. Medical attention was required. The failure mileage was approximately 91,000.

- Montclair, VA, USA

Jun 082016

Corolla

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Corolla. The contact received a recall notification for the air bags. The part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The NHTSA campaign number was not provided. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Stow, OH, USA

May 302016

Corolla

I own both a 2004 Corolla and the 2008 Toyota matrix. Both vehicles are on this urgent saafety recall. My 2004 Corolla appointment is for 6/15 at 8:30 am. This was not so bad. The 2008 Corolla matrix appointment is for August 5th at 10:00 am. I think this is not right, two and a half months to correct an inportant safety problem like this" the deller told me that they do not have the parts to correct a 2008. In your letters you say that the parts are out to certain locations. I use this vehicle to Transport my grandchildren to school soft ball games and other inportant appointment? the passinger seat has to be used. What am I going to do when this problem can not be corrected until August"

- Wheeling, WV, USA

Mar 022016

Corolla

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Corolla. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V127000 (air bags); however, the parts for the recall repair were not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Ringoes, NJ, USA

Mar 012016

Corolla

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that the recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 16V127000 (air bags) was received in March of 2016. After contacting the dealer and the manufacturer on multiple occasions, the contact was informed that the parts needed to repair the vehicle were still not available and no estimated time for receiving the parts could be given. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- North Kansas City, MO, USA

Mar 152016

Corolla

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Corolla. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 16V128000 (air bags) and was unable to determine when the parts would become available to receive the repair after calling the dealer for weeks. The contact made several attempts and was not able to reach the dealer. The contact was unable to determine when the vehicle would be repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Laurel, MS, USA

Mar 032016

Corolla

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Corolla. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V128000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Springfield, VA, USA

Jun 022016

Corolla

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Corolla. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V128000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The contact had not experienced a failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Villa Rica, GA, USA

Mar 032016

Corolla

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Corolla. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V127000 (air bags) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

May 062016

Corolla

Notified on May 6,2016 passanger air bag dangerous could explode.no replacement yet as of June 1,2016.need to use passanger seat!

- Rockland, MA, USA

Apr 162016

Corolla

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Corolla. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V127000 (air bags) however, the part to do the repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect. Updated 07/12/16

- Akron, NY, USA

May 312016

Corolla

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Corolla. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V286000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- St Thomas, PA, USA

May 112015

Corolla

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Corolla. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V127000 (air bags); however, the remedy was not yet available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. The VIN was not included.

- Yonkers, NY, USA

May 042016

Corolla

I took my vehicle in to john roberts Toyota, manchester, tn. And was promised a 'as soon as we can' replacement for passenger side airbag. That was May 04, 2016 and it is now May 27, 2016. 'as soon as we can' is over 23 days now.

- Tullahoma, TN, USA

May 232016

Corolla

Takata recall. NHTSA recall no. 15V-285 and 16V-127. This involves what appears to me to be slow walking of the installation of the recalled passenger side airbag for my vehicle. In response to the recall letter I received from Toyota (which is undated, but which I received on April 15, 2016), I called and requested that the replacement part be ordered on April 18, 2016 and I was advised by my local dealer (wolfchase Toyota) that it would be "4 to 6 weeks" before the part would be available. It is now the 6th week and the service department here cannot give me any idea as to when the part will actually arrive. Although I appreciate the NHTSA's attempt to address this issue through recall, if in fact parts are not going to be furnished to implement the remedy in a timely fashion, consumers are left paying the price by having to refrain from having any passengers sit in the front (a definite hardship when one's family contains enough people to fill the car). Because consumers are "on notice, " liability is presumably reduced or eliminated for both takata and Toyota, while they further avoid the cost of recall implementation by just having the part "on order" in perpetuity.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Mar 022016

Corolla

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Corolla. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V127000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect...updated 06/08/16

- Gelena, OH, USA

May 012016

Corolla

Takata recall the fact that you are losing the use of the front passenger seat for an undetermined amount of time is more than inconvenient. I have been a Corolla owner since 1982. Something needs to be done to get this dangerous situation corrected.

- Westlake, OH, USA

May 062016

Corolla

Takata recall- I contacted my local dealer -arlington Toyota- and they told me that they do not have the part to replace my front passenger inflator assembly, so I will have to drive my car until the part comes in. I was under the impression that the car was unsafe to drive. Other dealers have taken the affected car and provided a rental car while waiting for the new parts

- Ponte Vedra Beach, FL, USA

Apr 012016

Corolla

Takata recall: I contacted auto nation Toyota in centennial, co at least 4 weeks ago to get the "urgent recall" repaired. My initial call I was transferred multiple times and finally sent to a voicemail. After a week, my call was not returned, so I again called and after 15 minutes on the phone (they had to find out what the recall was and if they had parts), I was told they did not have the parts and they would order them and call me when they arrived. Another week passed and I still had not been contacted by autonation. I again called automation and was again put on hold for about 15 min because they had no information that I had called the previous two weeks. I was finally told again that they found my information and my parts were on order and I would be contacted when they arrived. Another week passed so I made my fourth and final call. I was eventually transferred to a voicemail and I left another message with all of my information (VIN, name and that I had called 3 previous times already). This final message was on Friday, April 22, 2016. As of today, Thursday, Apr. 28, 2016, I have yet to receive a call from auto nation to repair my urgent recall. This is totally unacceptable. On April 22, after leaving the final message with autonation, I contacted two other Toyota dealerships in the area and both and the parts and were able to get me in with just a few days. If automation could not do the repairs, they should have told me that initially, instead they lead me to believe they would do it, all the while we are driving an unsafe car and four weeks passed by. Definitely very poor customer service and no consideration for consumers safety.

- Greenwood Village, CO, USA