2009 Toyota Corolla engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Corolla:

2009 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments (Page 5 of 8)

Mar 102010

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Corolla. The contact was driving approximately 5 mph backing out of the driveway. The brakes failed to engage when pressure was applied. The vehicle increased acceleration without warning and crashed into a mailbox. There were no injuries. The failure was a one time occurrence. The failure and current mileages were 40,000.

- Knoxen, PA, USA

Mar 132010

I have a 2009 Toyota Corolla with a serial number starting with a "J". Toyota told me my car isn't part of the recall. I have experienced two occasions where the accelerator pedal has been stuck. Once when the car was in park about two months ago and I though it was the floor mat so I switched out floor mats since my car was not part of the recall. Then on sat, 3/13/10 I was merging on to the highway and I pressed down hard on the gas pedal to speed up because a car was beside me. All of the sudden the pedal was stuck and I continued to speed up when I let pressure off the gas pedal. I put my foot on the brake and the car wasn't stopping. Thinking I wasn't pressing hard enough I put both feet on the petal still not even slowing down. Finally, I shifted the car into neutral and could still hear the engine revving but the car slowed down quickly. Thinking that I was imaging it when the car slowed enough I shifted it back to drive and it took off again without pressing the gas pedal. I quickly shifted it back into neutral and was wondering what I was going to do and I heard a loud pop or snap with the gas pedal and then the car was fine. It stopped accelerating on it's own without me turning off the car. I checked the floor mat and it wasn't stuck. I called the Toyota dealership and they are looking at the problem but said they have been instructed not to fix anything if they can't replicate the problem because it's not part of the recall as the car I have was made in Japan. I also called the Toyota general line and reported the problem. My concern is that my car won't be fixed as the warranty runs out at 30,000 miles and I have 29,000 miles on my car and the recall doesn't cover my model. I am nearly certain that Toyota hasn't recalled all of the car affected because it's not the specific gas pedal that's the problem as my car doesn't have the identified gas pedal. The problem isn't related to the gas pedal. I don't think they know what the problem is.

- Ham Lake, MN, USA

Mar 152010

Had recall work completed on my 2009 Toyota Corolla on March 13th, 2010 regarding accelerator pedal. No problems at all prior to recall work. On March 15th, 2010 the accelerator pedal failed to return to its proper position after it was depressed. I was pulling into the garage and going very slow and braking easily stopped the car. I tapped the pedal quickly and it apparently returned to proper (not depressed / full out) position.the floor mat in the car is aftermarket and does not in any way interfere with the pedal. Will contact dealer who performed recall work and have them recheck pedal. Please feel free to contact me if you think it necessary.

- Johnstown, OH, USA

Mar 122010

I own a Toyota Corolla year 2009 which is subject to recall for the gas pedal and the floor mat (as per Toyota website) I have scheduled an appointment with my dealer hudson Toyota on 03/12/2010 to have it fixed. When I got there, my dealer refused to service my car claiming that the parts have not been provided yet by the company. Please advise me as to what should I do. Thanks

- Bayonne, NJ, USA

Feb 152010

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Corolla. The vehicle was repaired per recall NHTSA campaign id numbers 10V023000 and 10V017000: Vehicle speed control: Accelerator pedal. Shortly thereafter, the vehicle would exhibit instances of unintended acceleration without driver intent. The dealer could not duplicate the failure. No additional repairs were made to the vehicle. The failure mileage was 3,500 and the current was 4,295.

- Fishkill, NY, USA

Jan 122010

Corolla 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Corolla. While attempting to pass another vehicle at speeds of 35 mph, the vehicle abnormally accelerated. He was able to maintain control of the vehicle. The dealer could not duplicate the failure and advised him that although there was a recall for the failure, his VIN was not included (NHTSA campaign id number 10V017000: Vehicle speed control, accelerator pedal. Any repairs made to the vehicle would be at the owner's expense. An investigator was also sent to diagnose the failure but was unable to do so. The failure mileage was 32,500 updated 04-15-10 the consumer stated the first occurrence of the sudden acceleration the dealer stated his VIN was not included in the recall. The speed was around 50-55 almost resulting in an accident. The consumer was able to re-gain control of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but they were unable to find any problems. Updated 05/10/10

- Minnetonka , MN, USA

Jul 212009

My 2009 Toyota Corolla bought in June 2009. I reported to dealer about car not accelerating well, road noise and car engine noise heard inside the car. Also car is hard to control during cross winds on bridge above water. This is my second time buying new vehicle of same model and make. I bought my first Corolla S in 2003. This is not the vehicle I used to drive. I have the dealer invoice from July 2009 states normal acceleration found in all conditions. This car was tested by one of their mechanics.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Feb 012010

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Corolla. While driving at speeds of 60 mph, the steering wheel exhibited minimal resistance, causing the front end of the vehicle to sway outside of the traveled lane without driver intent. The failure would occur intermittently. The dealer stated that there were no recalls on his vehicle pertaining to that type of failure. The contact also stated that he would often experience sudden surging of the vehicle engine upon removing his foot from the accelerator pedal and traveling at a steady speed on the freeway. The approximate failure mileage was 49,000 and the current mileage was 52,000.

- Beaumont, CA, USA

Mar 092010

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Corolla. The cruise control mechanism was set at 55 mph. When he attempted to cancel the cruise control, it would not respond and the vehicle proceeded to accelerate. He then shifted into neutral gear in an attempt to avoid a collision; however, he drove the vehicle into a nearby ditch. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The dealer test drove the vehicle and could not duplicate the failure. He did however replace the accelerator pedal under recall campaign (NHTSA campaign id 10V023000: Vehicle speed control: Accelerator pedal). The failure mileage was 26,400 and the current mileage was 26,856.

- Lindstrom , MN, USA

May 292008

I purchased a new 2009 Toyota Corolla le from sunnyvale Toyota on 9 March 2008. This is the third new Toyota Corolla / Geo prism that I've purchased; all similarly equipped with automatic transmission and cruise control. On May 29, 2008, while attempting to pull into a parking spot, the '09 Corolla suddenly and unexpectedly accelerated while I was braking in order to come to a stop in a parking lot. The vehicle jumped the "parking berm" and almost hit a tree before I could come to a complete stop, slam the gearshift into park and turn the key to the off position. Severe surging has occurred in normal in town traffic, with the cruise control disengaged, three or four times since the initial incident occurred. There is no forewarning or consistency in this pattern of sudden and unexpected acceleration. According to the Toyota, the VIN falls outside of the current recall range and therefore does not warrant investigation into the cause for these incidents. I feel that this vehicle poses a safety threat to myself, as well as other drivers, and that the cause of the sudden acceleration should be diagnosed and repaired prior to anyone being injured or worse.

- Campbell, CA, USA

Mar 092010

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Corolla. While traveling on a two-lane roadway at speeds of 50 mph, the vehicle abnormally accelerated. He attempted to put the vehicle in neutral but the vehicle did not respond to driver input. The vehicle then proceeded off the roadway and into an embankment of sand. It was unknown if the vehicle was destroyed or not. The current and failure mileages were unknown. The complaint was filed by an authorized police officer.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Feb 122010

The contact previously owned a 2009 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that she rear ended another vehicle when she approached a traffic light. Her foot was on the brake pedal but the vehicle suddenly lunged forward. There were no injuries. A police report was filed. She took the vehicle to the dealership to be inspected and the dealer told her that they found nothing wrong. The vehicle accelerated up to 64 mph which she attributed to the unintended acceleration and as she depressed the brake pedal the vehicle did not slow down. The contact was given a citation for speeding when the vehicle accelerated on its own. After a week, she was approaching a traffic light and when she tried to apply the brakes, the vehicle continued to move forward which caused her to rear end another vehicle. There were no injuries. A police report was filed. She took the vehicle back to the dealership, told them that she refused to drive the vehicle and they gave her allowed her to trade the vehicle in for another one. The current mileage was approximately 34,000. The failure mileage was approximately 30,000.

- Hillsboro, MO, USA

Sep 012009

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Corolla. After the vehicle was started, the rpms rapidly increased and her foot was not on the accelerator or brake pedal. The failure recurred after she stopped at a traffic light. The dealer stated that whenever the engine was cold the rpms increase. Since the gas pedal was replaced the failure has not recurred. The steering has become difficult to control while making left and right turns. The failure mileage was 9,000 and the current mileage was 12,000.

- Helenwood, TN, USA

Aug 162009

I started up my 2009 Toyota Corolla, then with my foot on the brake, I put the cars gear into reverse. The car started backing up, accelerating uncontrollably. The brake would not stop the car. I never touched the accelerator from the time I started the car. The car stopped when it ran into another parked vehicle. I took the car to the Toyota dealership in bradford, pa. The service manager told me that there was nothing wrong with the car. He said that I stepped on the brake too hard and that disables the anti-lock brakes. They refused to look at the car. There were no floormats in my vehicle. The Toyota dealership will not look at my car because they say that it is not covered by the recall because its VIN number begins with a J, which means it was manufactured in Japan. I am scared to drive it because I have already had the acceleration problem once and crashed.

- Olean, NY, USA

Nov 202009

Corolla Toyota 2009 I was driving in the freeway speed was 65 all of a sudden I felt that the accelerator pedal got stucked I couldnt put my brakes on time.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Oct 312009

My car is a 2009 Toyota Corolla le it was driven on October 31, 2009 when the gas pedal sped up and crashed towards the front vehicle. A police report. After this occurred around Jan. 2010 I heard the Corollas were doing a recall about the gas pedal and I figured thats what happened to me. I contacted Toyota and its been three weeks since I last heard from them. There is a claim opened but I dont know anything about my car or whats going to happen.

- Bell, CA, USA

May 012009

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated she took her vehicle in for the acceleration recall but she is still experiencing the acceleration problem, the vehicle is still picking up speed. The contact stated she had to keep pressing the brakes and it eventually slows down, however the vehicle will feel like it's going to stall out on her. The contact also stated when putting the vehicle in reverse it makes a popping/knocking sound. The contact states when she decelerates and then tries to accelerate again her vehicle will hesitate and then jerk. The contact stated the dealer says they cannot do anything about this. The failure mileage was unknown and the current is 27,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Feb 262010

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Corolla. When the contact attempted to place the vehicle into drive from park gear, the vehicle suddenly accelerated without warning causing the vehicle to crash into an embanked of snow. In order to the stop the acceleration the vehicle had to be turned of manually using the ignition switch. No one was injured and a police report was not filed. Prior to the recent failure the contact had the recall NHTSA campaign id number: 10V017000 and 10V023000 performed on the vehicle.the vehicle had not been diagnosed by the dealership and there were no prior warnings. The current and failure mileages were 5000.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Mar 022010

Corolla 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Corolla xle. The contact stated that the re-enforcement bar was replaced on the gas pedal and the vehicle is still having the same acceleration problems. The contact stated that when the gas pedal is released the vehicle keeps accelerating. The contact stated that the vehicle accelerated from time to time before the repair, now the vehicle does it all the time. The failure and current mileages was 5000. Updated 4/23/10 the consumer stated the vehicle failed to decelerate at 40 mph. Updated 05/05/10.

- Downey, CA, USA

May 152008

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Corolla. She stated that while driving at 65 mph, the vehicle accelerated on its own. She lost control of the steering. She was able to pullover to the side of the road, but she noticed that the vehicle wanted to still take off on its own. She turned off the vehicle and turned it back on. After a couple of minutes the vehicle operated normally and she took the vehicle to the dealer and the dealer reset the computer. The acceleration problem with the vehicle was not repaired and had occurred once again. This had occurred three additional times. There were repairs done to the vehicle and she is still experiencing the problem. The failure mileage was unknown and current mileage was 30000.

- Hempton, TX, USA