2010 Toyota Corolla steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Toyota Corolla:

2010 Toyota Corolla Owner Comments (Page 3 of 18)

Apr 132010

Corolla 4-cyl

At highway speeds my cars steering feels as if it were a windy day, it takes a lot of correction of the steering wheel to keep the car straight. It has even swerved to other lanes before almost causing me to crash. The car feels unsafe and Toyota needs to acknowledge this problem before any injuries occur.

- Suwanee, GA, USA

Apr 302012

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated was exiting a residential driveway when the steering wheel became abnormally heavy and she was unable to maneuver the vehicle. The failure recurred numerous times but sporadically. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis however no assistance was given. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was 36,000 and the current mileage was 43,000.

- Reseda, CA, USA

Jul 062012

Corolla 4-cyl

As I was driving on hwy, I suddenly lost my power steering and I had power steering light, vsc and slippery car light cam on. From that point on I didn't have power steering, it was difficult to drive since it was hard to turn. Thank god that I didn't get involve in wreck. When I took it momentum Toyota dealer in tulsa and explained what happened, service advisor said that since it has almost 45,000 it is not covered under warranty. When I called to Toyota customer service and express my safety concern, they said if it is concern that I need to get it fixed and pay out of pocket since it has about 45000 miles on it. I also informed them that it is well know issue on and there are alot of people having issue with power steering, he said I am sorry you vehicle is out side the warranty and we will not cover it.

- Bixby, OK, USA

May 222012

Corolla 4-cyl

The vehicle has developed steering issues at about 39000 miles. I am finding that the steering is oversensitive. You must constantly correct the steering at all speeds, it takes a lot of concentration to drive down the road and stay in your lane. I am concerned that this may also get the attention of law enforcement assuming that one is driving under the influence. I have owned three Corollas and have never had this issue. Tires are wearing normally however. *

- Rocky Mount, VA, USA

Apr 082012

We purchased a used certified 2010 Corolla about a month ago and soon discovered that it took constant adjustments in steering to keep the car tracking straight on the expressway. I researched online and found many serious complaints about this car's steering as well as a "fix" offered by Toyota to replace the power steering computer assembly (T-sb-0140-10). We took the car to the dealer and had the new one put in. The day after it was done, we drove approximately 230 miles round trip, almost all of it on the freeway. We were pleased to find that the steering was good and the car tracked straight. Two days later, we did the same trip and immediately knew something was totally different. The steering was suddenly far worse than before the fix. It felt like we were hydroplaning, drifting, and floating side to side, and I had to concentrate fully on keeping the car in my lane. It felt much like driving on a wet, slippery surface. I drove awhile before exiting the freeway so my wife could take it for a "test drive". she said it was downright scary. Then my college-age son gave it a whirl. He agreed about the scary part, saying it was completely wrong. He finally pulled into a rest stop and we turned the car off for the first time in about eighty miles since we had been switching "test" drivers with the engine running. When we resumed driving from the rest area, the steering was fine. It was completely different than ten minutes before. That was the end of our two-handed, white knuckle driving session. We continued to our destination and then back home with normal steering. We've owned Toyota since 1978. This is our fifth Corolla. We have never experienced anything like this in our lives, in any car. In our case, this came out of the blue, right after we thought things were good. There's something going on with the Corolla steering that demands a real fix.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Mar 232012

Corolla 4-cyl

Car has been feeling strange at 60mph - pulls to left sometimes and if the wind blows it feels like its going to loose traction. Today this happened with some rain on the road care lost traction pulled left hit a transfer truck - spun around in the road into a hill and rolled. Car is totaled and my wife was lucky not to have been killed. The back of the car is gone! if this happens in the wind people are going to get killed in the rain. This needs fixed.

- Lincolnton, NC, USA

May 012011

Corolla 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Corolla. While driving various speeds, the contact stated the vehicle would move from side to side any either direction without moving the steering wheel. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was notified. No repairs were performed. The current mileage was 8,743 and the failure mileage was 4,000. Updated 02/06/12 the consumer stated the vehicle would wander into the next lane. Updated 03/07/12

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jan 202012

Corolla 4-cyl

I now have 47,000 miles on my I was driving on the interstate and approached the speed of about 65 mph. I attempted to change to the right lane and the car would not turn. I did not know how to describe it other than to say that I had no control over the steering at all for about one quarter of a mile. I have since seen other complaints and can agree that it was as if the vehicle was hydroplaning and it was very scary. The car actually proceeded down the middle of the two right lanes and luckily no one was in the right lane or I would have had an accident. Once I slowed down, control resumed and I pulled off the road and was very shaken. We took the car to Toyota and the response from the service manager was that there have not been any complaints or recalls, but he would check it out (really?). he later called and said he found a brake problem, but nothing with the steering. Not satisfied with this answer since I was driving the vehicle and I know what happened and there is a problem. He blew it off as wind or perhaps the road condition. It was not windy and I was on a smooth interstate highway. Not meaning to be rude, but why does this investigation show closed with 298 complaints" why are those of us complaining not being taken seriously? the acceleration problem started with just a few and escalated. Why can we not take care of this problem now before people are injured? and last, why does a safety issue such as this that should be considered high priority take so long to get something done" I am in sales so I drive a lot of miles and have owned several different vehicles this is the first time I have ever been concerned regarding my safety and that of others around me while operating my vehicle due to an issue I cannot control such as this.

- Forney, TX, USA

Dec 292011

Corolla 4-cyl

When I was driving my Toyota Corolla 2010 on 12/29/2011 at around $10.30 pm, suddenly I felt that the steering was so rigid to turn and noticed in the car dashboard warning indicator lights for ABS, engine malfunction/check engine indicator, brake, vsc off, were illuminating. And the vehicle was totally stopped in the middle of the road. I was totally shocked!!!!!!!!!!! I tried again to start the vehicle but it failed.I towed the car to Toyota dealer and they ran vehicle test and told me that throttle body assembly has to be replaced. When this incident happened the mileage of the vehicle was approximately 9020. I called and wrote to Toyota usa regarding this issue but didn't get any reply even after 6 days!!!!!!!!!

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Nov 252011

Corolla 4-cyl

I have a 2010 Corolla S model with 44K miles on it. My wife commutes with this vehicle every day for work. I drive the vehicle on the weekends when we travel out of town. Last week while I was driving my wife's car I noticed that the steering felt loose and unresponsive at low and especially at freeway speeds. It almost feels like the car is hydroplaning. I asked my wife if she had noticed any difference in the car since we have owned it. She confirmed with me that the steering did feel significantly different and described the feeling exactly like I had around the time I noticed it as well. I then got on the internet to do some research on this problem and I seen that there were many 2010 Corolla owners that had the same problem as I. all research seems to be linked with the electric power steering. I now feel the car is unsafe to put my family in especially since I had saw that there was 8 accidents and 11 injuries and 168 complaints linked to this problem on the (NHTSA) website.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jul 212010

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated while driving 25 mph the power steering was pulling to the left and there was also a noise in the steering as well. The vehicle as taken to the dealer who stated they could not diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 5,000 and the current mileage was 28,000.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Jul 262011

Corolla 4-cyl

Have no control of steering the alignment is not correct and the tires are bald after rotation every 5000 miles. Dealer says the warranty does not cover these things after I paid for extra warranty up to 100,000 miles. Goodyear will not help with tires. Toyota dealer that car was bought from says they do not cover this under my warranty the car has not been wrecked or any other mishaps. I expressed my concern for the tires at 15,000 miles to ensure they were rotating when serviced and they assured me they were. The tires are bald and took to a tire dealer to express my concern they said they car was out of alignment in the front. The dealer then told me they were not responsible for this. I guess my question is shouldnt their technician been able to see there was an issue with the front end alignment when rotating the tires and notified me of this problem? also the steering is off it feels like I am hydroplaining all the time and that it is windy all the time. I have no control of the car over 55mph.

- Saint Clair, MO, USA

May 012011

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated that once the vehicle reached 60 mph, the steering wheel would become difficult to maneuver and the contact would have difficulty in keeping the vehicle straightened. The vehicle was taken to dealer but the manufacturer was not contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 20,000 and the current mileage was 25,000.

- Pepperell, MA, USA

Jun 012011

The steering of the automobile becomes difficult at highway speeds. The car continually drifts to the right and left requiring constant adjustment. Free play in the steering wheel is excessive and the wheel is stiff and unresponsive. Windshield wiper speed is not fast enough to clear the windshield in downpours.

- Hagerstown, MD, USA

Jun 012011

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Corolla. The contact stated while driving 55 mph or more, the vehicle swerved out of control. The vehicle was taken to the dealer numerous times for the failure. The dealer rotated and aligned the tires and replaced the electronic power steering module. The failure was not corrected. The vehicle continued to swerve while driving more than 55 mph. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 6,000 and the current mileage was 7,000.

- Porterville, CA, USA

May 092011

Corolla 4-cyl

Since the day we took ownership of our 2010 Toyota Corolla, I noticed that driving highway speeds, the steering feels very loose. It takes two hands to constantly try to keep the car to go straight. Now at 44,000 miles the electronic steering (electric motor) whines/whistles intermittently at speeds above 45 mph. This is not an alignment or tire wear issue as it has done this since new.

- 32082, FL, USA

May 162011

Highway driving car drifts from side to side. Constantly correcting steering. Uncomfortable / unsafe ride. Almost like I was on black ice as car oscillates left to right.

- North Andover, MA, USA

May 062011

Corolla 4-cyl

We purchased a 2010 Toyota Corolla S4 in Feb. Of this year. I loved my Toyota & the gas mileage I has getting (major reason we bought the Corolla). However, I just took it on a long highway/interstate drive 7 hours there and back. I was shocked at how the vehicle handled at highway speeds. I did not feel safe going over 55 miles an hour. If I did not hold both hands on the wheel constantly, the vehicle felt as if it swaying as if a strong wind was pushing it side to side. I also own a Subaru forester--a small SUV. I have owned it for 6 years and never experienced on the highway what I did with the Toyota Corolla. I am extremely concerned and dismayed.

- Acworth , GA, USA

Apr 252010

I have a 2010 Corolla and had steering difficulties. At hitting highway speeds, it would feel like the wind was blowing my car into the other lane, yet the wind was not blowing. On 4-25-2010, my car jerked right while going 43, causing me to hit a ditch, go airborne, hit a telephone pole, do a 360 and land back on it's wheels. My car is now not drivable and not repairable. Before the accident I thought it was the wind blowing my car, but moments after the wreck I knew it was something more. Seeing others having the same problem, I now know what happened.

- Dover, PA, USA

Apr 092011

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Corolla. The contact was driving 60-70 mph when the vehicle began to veer back and forth abnormally. The failure recurred frequently and the vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who stated that that computer steering assembly would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The current mileage was approximately 5,700 and the failure mileage was approximately 4,700.

- New Castle, PA, USA