- March 6: Toyota Recalls Highlander For Useless Seat Belt
- March 5: The 12 Worst Cars According to Consumer Reports
- February 27: Law Firm Investigates Toyota Excessive Oil Consumption Complaints
- February 21: The Most American-Made Car Brand
- February 15: J.D. Power Study: Vehicle Problems on the Rise
- February 12: Software Glitches Lead to Another Massive Toyota Recall
- February 6: Congrats Chrysler! Most Recalls of 2013
- January 31: Toyota in the Hot Seat: Stops Selling 6 Models
- January 27: Toyota Camry Hybrid Faces Investigation After Brake-Failure Complaints
- January 21: 10 Out of 11 Minicars Flunk Crash Test
- January 20: Man Sues Toyota Over 'New Car Smell'
- December 23: The Safest Cars to Drive in 2014
- December 16: Toyota to Enter Talks to Settle Unintended Acceleration Lawsuits
2002 Toyota RAV4
CarComplaints.com Notes: If you're looking for a vehicle with one of the most complained about transmission on the road, look no further than the 2001-2003 Toyota RAV4.
In 2001 Toyota completely redesigned the popular SUV. While some enjoyed the new look, they did not enjoy the harsh shifting, jumping from gear-to-gear and eventual transmission failure that cost owners well over $3,000 to fix. The problem stems from a malfunctioning Electronic Control Module (ECM).
Consumer outrage coupled with pressure from different agencies led Toyota to extend the warranty nationwide back in 2010. The previous power train warranty only covered 5 years/60,000 miles, while the extended warranty now covers the transmission and ECM for 10 years/150,000 miles. Toyota also pledged to reimburse any owners who had previously paid for repairs, if they had "proper proof". Good luck collecting on that one.
Worst 2002 RAV4 transmission Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- problems shifting127
- jerking and hesitating113
- engine control module failure52
- main computer and transmission failure51
- transmission failure43
- won't go into gear7
- leaking seals in the transaxle output housing1
- stick shift vibration1
- transmission locks up1
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission253
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Control ...4
- NHTSA: Power Train: Manual Transmission2
Stay Up to Date
Compare Toyota RAV4 Model Years
Curious how the 2002 RAV4 compares to other years?
Check out our Toyota RAV4 overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the RAV4.