9.1

$1,350

2. replace system (3 reports)
  3. replace circuit board (1 reports)
2012 Acura TSX steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Acura TSX:

2012 Acura TSX Owner Comments

Jan 252019

TSX

My 2012 Acura TSX has had to have power steering replaced. The unit was corroded and stopped working while I was driving, which was very scary. There are only 74,000 kms on this car. Acura Canada seemed supportive at first but then did not reply to to emails or phone calls. Very poor customer service. This is my 4th and last Acura purchase, The first 2 cars were excellent but the last 2 have been so unreliable. There has been no recall which is unbelievable considering the numerous similar complaints online. Shame on you Acura!

- lmacpherson, Charlottetown, PE, Canada

Oct 112018

TSX

I bought my 2012 Acura TSX brand new from my local Acura dealer back in August of 2012. I have serviced it there as scheduled and have never had any problem with my car. Having owned an Acura before and having no issues with that one, I have been extremely satisfied and recommended Acura to friends and family! But last Thursday my daughter had borrowed my car when suddenly, the power steering message alert came on the dash, and she said in less than one minute, she was unable to turn the corner and the car was "fighting" her. Fortunately she remained calm and was able to get it to a nearby restaurant and call me.

The next day my Acura was given a diagnostic "check up" at a local service station( my AAA only covers 5 mile towing, so I had it towed to a Tuffy's location close to where the car "broke down"). The tech at Tuffy's was very pleasant and professional stating that the power steering worked fine when he drove the car and he could find nothing wrong. He did say that he could not guarantee that the problem would not happen again and suggested as soon as a "check engine light" appeared, to have it serviced immediately. So I drove it home and used the car for the next couple days just driving short distances, as my daughter warned me to pay close attention to the dash and warning sign which stated "check power steering system" showing multiple exclamation points.

I also called my Acura dealer explaining what occurred and made an appointment to have my Acura checked out. Well, yesterday, just 4 days after the initial problem as I was on my way down to my Acura place, I was only 2 miles from my home when the "check power steering" warning appeared. Thankfully, I was able to turn (although turning was very difficult and the car did fight me) and get on a less traveled road and called my Acura dealer to tell them I would not make the appointment time as my car had the very same problem again.

So this time I had it towed to Gettel Acura which is 15 miles away paying $60 for that service. Anyway, my service person at Gettel (who also has been very pleasant and professional) called to inform me after the Acura service tech examined the car, it would require the power steering to be replaced at a price of 1436$. However, the part needed to be ordered and that particular part was on "back order"!! She said it might be 1-2 days before the part comes in, but I still agreed to authorize the replacement/repair.

So my concern is there might be enough incidents for either a recall or some form of warning other 2012 Acura owners of this same issue. Thank God my daughter had warned me and thank God my daughter was safe and handled the first very scary incident so well!

- conrads, Bradenton, US

Jul 202018

TSX 2.4L

This was and continues to be an absolute nightmare. I was attending a concert that ended close to midnight on a Friday when I got in my car, started it, and all these warning lights and bells were going off saying "Check Steering System" and my steering wheel was completely locked. I had to call AAA to get it towed, which is a whole other rip off for another forum. So after waiting until 12:50am for AAA, I could no longer have it towed 15 miles to the Acura dealership since they closed at midnight and would not wait until I could get there. Needless to say I had to pay for towing twice just to get it to the dealership. They ran the diagnostics and said the entire electrical system needed to be replaced costing nearly $2,000! I can't believe there is no recall for Acura cars dealing with this issue which could have been very dangerous and life threatening if I were driving and this happened. I don't have the money to cover a ridiculous expense like this! I'm so devastated I don't know what to do.

- Phaedra S., Burke, VA, US

May 152018

TSX Sport V6

Currently there are multiple complaints about the power steering... I have now suffered this same issue on my 2012 TSX. It typically happens at the 50-70000 mile mark, yet there is NO recall to fix this issue. I went to an Acura dealership recently and was told to repair this was over $3000! Now, I don't have that kind of money, especially for an issue I did NOT create! The warranty to cover it, just so happen to run out (how convenient).

My question is, since this is not the fault of the consumer, why hasn't this company tried to do anything to fix the problem? Are they waiting on someone to die? I am very concerned and the issue still has not been fixed and I am more than sure I am not the only one. If someone could please contact me regarding this, I would greatly appreciate it!

- Lashaunda G., Fallon, NV, US

Jul 052018

TSX Sport Wagon 2.4L

"Check power steering system" sign is on. Hard to turn steering wheel.

- Mikhail K., Newton Center, MA, US

Jun 252018

TSX 2.4L

Similar to other posts, the "check power steering system" light went off on the dash and the car became very difficult to steer. My wife was driving the car and passing through a very busy intersection when this occurred. Fortunately she was able to pull the car to the side of the road and make it to a nearby gas station. Car was towed to local dealership but technicians were unable to replicate the issue and didn't seem aware of relatively common issue with the TSX. Issue came up again a couple days later and again could have been catastrophic if it occurred at the wrong moment. Back to dealership and this time identified the circuit board as the issue and had it fixed for $1,300.00. Someone WILL be in a serious accident if this issue is not subject to a recall.

- Deborah Y., Ventura, CA, US

May 032018

TSX 2.4L

Power steering module stopped working while driving. Restarted the car, the EPS failure sign disappeared and was able to drive it for a week. Now happened again. Restarting the car won't help. Looks like it`s very common issue for 2012 TSX.

- Nicholas C., Stamford, CT, US