1.8

1997 Audi A4 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1997 Audi A4:

1997 Audi A4 Owner Comments

Jun 142008

A4

I received safety recall js for the Audi A4 ignition switch in November 2006 and complied with the instructions by bringing the car to the dealer for a replacement switch in January 2007. The dealer did not do the repair because they said my car already had the correct switch. In June 2008, this ignition switch malfunctioned in the exact manner described in the recall. When I started the engine, I heard a crack in the ignition switch and then the electrical components, including dashboard lights, horn, turn signal, windshield wipers, and air conditioning, immediately became inoperative. When I turned off the engine, the key would not return to the off position and had to be pulled out by force and subsequently forced back in to put the car in neutral for the tow truck. I contacted both the dealer and Audi customer relations about the problem, but since the recall had been closed by this time, no one was willing to consider the possibility that the repair had not been done properly or that the ignition switch in my car, which they had previously claimed was the correct one, was just as defective as the recalled switch. I brought the car to an independent repair shop and had the switch replaced at my own expense. I asked for reimbursement from Audi, but they refused.

- Washington, DC, USA